Naze32 hardware discussion thread

timecop

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

What does "status" say from CLI?

moshen

Post by moshen »

84Mhz, so it worked. Crap, the 432mhz noise is coming from elsewhere and not the Naze32 anymore. emf_avoidance did work, I just forgot to isolate the other components from Naze32 when I ran my test. Sorry for the false alarm!

scrat

Post by scrat »

moshen wrote:84Mhz, so it worked. Crap, the 432mhz noise is coming from elsewhere and not the Naze32 anymore. emf_avoidance did work, I just forgot to isolate the other components from Naze32 when I ran my test. Sorry for the false alarm!

Maybe minimOSD?

timecop

Post by timecop »

27MHz (common video clock frequency) * 16 = 432MHz

akcom

Post by akcom »

Someone on RCgroups mentioned that rev6 boards were available with a spektrum satellite connector directly from TC's website. The only listing I see on the abusemark store is for revision 5 boards. Can someone confirm the rev6's are available?

timecop

Post by timecop »

They're not, and likely won't be. It was just a test.

akcom

Post by akcom »

TC, it seems you have private messages disabled. I was going to contact you to see if there is anyway I could buy one of these boards with the spektrum connector. Is this something you'd be open to? Does the built in spektrum rx connector mean that GPS and the satellite receiver can be used at the same time?

akcom

Post by akcom »

As an addendum, I'm a very proficient C programmer though admittedly I've only recently gotten into microcontrollers. I'd like to take one of the two remainer USART DMA interfaces (USART1 or USART3) on my AfroMini32 and use it for a GPS Rx/Tx since I'm using USART for my satellite Rx. USART1 is the serial programming interface so I'd imagine that one cannot be used. I'm at work right now and I can't tell from the images of the afromini on the website what USART3 is used for. TC can you provide some insight into whether modifying baseflight to use a different USART DMA for GPS is feasible and if so, how I could connect to USART1 or 3 to do so?

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Theflackie

Post by Theflackie »

I have installed a full NAZE32 flight controller board in a mini quad. I am using Futaba T8J with a standard 8 channel receiver. I have it set up as 'AETR1234 and everything works except for Aileron (Roll). I know my receiver works on all channels and I have tried two other receivers. I have even tried a colleagues Futaba Tx and Rx. Aileron (Roll) still does not work. I have checked the board closely and cannot see any soldering problems.

Any suggestions on how I can 'prove' the board would be greatly appreciated.

servili007

Post by servili007 »

Still looking for any pointers to whether or not SONAR can be made to work with Softserial turned on (using what would normally be port 2 of the softserial for sonar instead).

eatkabab

Post by eatkabab »

@timecop - Yeah the X Y and Z all seem to be moving correctly. I just plugged it in however and the front/back orientation is just about a perfect 180 flip even though I set it straight last time I plugged in.

When I reset/reflash the board and try to take off it spins in a random direction. I have to give the CLI command "set yaw_direction=-1" to straighten it out then it does fine in angle/horizon/acro. Could that have anything to do with it?

Multirotor Superstore has tried to help with no luck so they've issued me an RMA. I'd rather not send things around and wait weeks though. Especially when I'm not even sure if my board is faulty or I'm just dumb. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be more complicated than just flipping the features on and letting it fly so If you feel my board is faulty then I'll send it in.

timecop

Post by timecop »

uhhhhh.
there's no way you'd ever need to fuck with yaw_direction on a quad.
are your motors even connected in right order.
what the hell.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Theflackie wrote:I have installed a full NAZE32 flight controller board in a mini quad. I am using Futaba T8J with a standard 8 channel receiver. I have it set up as 'AETR1234 and everything works except for Aileron (Roll). I know my receiver works on all channels and I have tried two other receivers. I have even tried a colleagues Futaba Tx and Rx. Aileron (Roll) still does not work. I have checked the board closely and cannot see any soldering problems.

map it out, AET4R123 and don't use it.

eatkabab

Post by eatkabab »

@timecop - yes, motors are in the correct order and tested through baseflight. If I don't use that CLI command the craft will lift off and immediately start spinning in a random direction. If I land and attempt take off again it usually spins the opposite way. Keeps doing that. Once I input the CLI yaw set command it does well but I have these problems now with mag/orientation

timecop

Post by timecop »

Well, what you're describing can't happen. unless mag is on (i.e. mag checkbox is ticked), it has absolutely no influence on orientation or acro mode flight.

eatkabab

Post by eatkabab »

So far I only fly in acro/horizon. It shows flipped orientation in baseflight, but still fly's fine in those modes. Don't know why it spins itself unless I give it the yaw change code.

didierj

Post by didierj »

Hi guys,

i am coming back in Flying quadcopters and planning to install my Naze32 in a 250 Frame. The main issues i have are :

-I bought this Naze32 as far i can recall about 2 to 3 years ago and it looks like i have the Release 1 or 2 (mine looks different compare to the pics on the first post of this thread).

-I went to the Baseflight repository and i am totally lost with the Baseflight and to be honest i dont know which one i can download and if it will be compliant with a rev 1/2 release.

I just notice a new release (Rev5) and i am not so sure if the new release is really something i should acquire or if my old Rev 1/2 is still fine.

Cheers

timecop

Post by timecop »

All old hardware should work fine.
Download baseflight configurator (chrome), and use the 'shorting boot pads' upgrade method to load latest firmware.
I don't think old stuff will work with auto-upgrade.
You can try it tho.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

servili007 wrote:Still looking for any pointers to whether or not SONAR can be made to work with Softserial turned on (using what would normally be port 2 of the softserial for sonar instead).

Inside baseflight there is functionality to enable sonar on PWM pins 5 and 6 (you might need to fix the null pointer exception that is part of the sonar driver code). You'll need to make some changes to the code and recompile though.

Cleanflight auto-selects PWM pins 5 and 6 if using parallel lines for receiver (and fixes that null pointer exception), but it doesn't auto select PWM pins 5 and 6 if softserial is selected either, so whichever method you choose you'll have to make some slight changes and recompile.
Last edited by nebbian on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

didierj

Post by didierj »

Hi timecop ,

Many thanks mate for your very quick response and i notice that you still very active . One of my good friends just bought the latest Rev 5 Release and works like a charm.

Ok for that and i have install the chrome configurator and shorting boot pads , all ok but basically i have no idea about the baseflight i should install. there is so many release in the repository and not so sure about the one i need.

i went there : https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/downloads/list and i was assuming i need to download the latest one : tgy-2013-09-20-mkbl-1-12.zip (Is it correct ?)

but not really sure . My apologise bothering you with such questions.

Cheers

Edit : I just download the Baseflight r464 https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/s ... flight.hex. I will keep you update

timecop

Post by timecop »

No, just click "load online firmware" in baseflight configurator.
google code shit is all obsolete, it was all moved to github like a year ago

didierj

Post by didierj »

ok i will do it

eatkabab

Post by eatkabab »

@timecop - So you prompted me to take a close look at my configuration again. All my props were reversed...I re-soldered all the ESC/motors. Now I don't need to do the yaw flip command. Headfree works a tiny bit better but still not good enough to free my head. At 90deg yaw rotation it acts as if it's only at 75deg rotated. If I yaw too much, it gets all confused and I have to turn it off. Any time I turn back to center it acts normally though.

Forget that, I just tried it again and it's totally confused. Plugged into baseflight and again the front/back is flipped. I don't understand why it keeps flipping itself. The board clearly has the forward arrow marked on it. The USB port is towards the back. I have it mounted correctly. As also indicated by the instructions.

Regardless of all of this, the cube on "initial setup" is very accurate with respect to degrees turned. Just it's front/back orientation is flipped and won't stick when I reset Z axis. I shouldn't have to reset it...

:cry:

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, so don't reset it.
No idea what that is, I've not seen that happening before (and can't really imagine what would cause it).
I don't what what "reset z axis" do in GUI, but it doens't change anything on teh board itself, its just for visual purposes.

eatkabab

Post by eatkabab »

As far as I can tell, it's the front/back self resetting that's causing most of the issues. Should I just send back the board for a replacement?

ABL

Post by ABL »

eatkabab wrote:As far as I can tell, it's the front/back self resetting that's causing most of the issues. Should I just send back the board for a replacement?

Maybe try to post screenshots and photo of your setup first?

servili007

Post by servili007 »

nebbian wrote:
servili007 wrote:Still looking for any pointers to whether or not SONAR can be made to work with Softserial turned on (using what would normally be port 2 of the softserial for sonar instead).

Inside baseflight there is functionality to enable sonar on PWM pins 5 and 6 (you might need to fix the null pointer exception that is part of the sonar driver code). You'll need to make some changes to the code and recompile though.

Cleanflight auto-selects PWM pins 5 and 6 if using parallel lines for receiver (and fixes that null pointer exception), but it doesn't auto select PWM pins 5 and 6 if softserial is selected either, so whichever method you choose you'll have to make some slight changes and recompile.

My intended setup, using the latest baseflight, was to push frsky telemetry over pins 5 and 6 (well, just 6) and use 7 and 8 for sonar as originally designed, but it seems like with both softserial and sonar enabled my sonar does not react to anything.

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

Why not use the dedicated FrSky Telemetry pins instead of both softserials?

timecop

Post by timecop »

servili007 wrote:My intended setup, using the latest baseflight, was to push frsky telemetry over pins 5 and 6 (well, just 6) and use 7 and 8 for sonar as originally designed, but it seems like with both softserial and sonar enabled my sonar does not react to anything.

that's correct, patches welcome

Theflackie

Post by Theflackie »

timecop wrote:
Theflackie wrote:I have installed a full NAZE32 flight controller board in a mini quad. I am using Futaba T8J with a standard 8 channel receiver. I have it set up as 'AETR1234 and everything works except for Aileron (Roll). I know my receiver works on all channels and I have tried two other receivers. I have even tried a colleagues Futaba Tx and Rx. Aileron (Roll) still does not work. I have checked the board closely and cannot see any soldering problems.

map it out, AET4R123 and don't use it.

Thanks Timecop. Up and running now.

eatkabab

Post by eatkabab »

ABL wrote:Maybe try to post screenshots and photo of your setup first?

Here is a video of what I believe is the issue which has the side effect on the mag...or maybe it is the mag? Also a couple pictures albeit I dunno how much you can see. It's a pretty standard setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6FXL-sCOk

Just to recap: Headfree does not work. I'll flip it on and headadj and it'll be good, but as soon as I start to yaw, it's completely off by a huge margin. When plugged into baseflight I notice it doesn't really want to hold it's Z offset and is often flipped somewhere near 180deg for no reason. Considering sending back for a replacement...

leadpan

Post by leadpan »

Just flew my Glass-Quad using Naze32 for first time: AMAZING!
Much more lock-in then the KK2. Big thanks to timecop for this amazing f/c!
I got both Acro and full version. Will test the full version next. Wonder if it work with my Ublox 6M gps?

GoPro view:
http://youtu.be/RP59ljDkZQM
Attachments
GlassQuad2.JPG

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Does anyone on here know if its posible to get 2 spektrum sats to connect together and then connect as one sat to the naze (in serial RX mode)
to have some diversity with more antena's etc
this may not be the best thread, so feel free to re-direct if needed

kilby

Post by kilby »

The normal way to do that would be to use a full spektrum rx + satellite (or even two satellites) and let the standard spektrum rx sort out which receiver is providing the most coherent radio link

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

yeah thats how i have it now, but i was wanting to save some space and clutter on my frame and go to just sat's only, but wont bother if i cant run 2

kilby

Post by kilby »

In theory it should be possible to connect both satellites to separate serial ports and decide which one to use based on the error messages. But with a lack of serial ports it would be a real pita

timecop

Post by timecop »

I'd say the fact that spektrum / DSM2 sucks is probably a bigger showstopper than lack of serial ports.

kilby

Post by kilby »

Shhhh done mention spektrum being crap it's a secret

.Joel

Post by .Joel »

http://www.buzzhobbies.com.au/index.php ... uct_id=499
TC is this a Naze32 or is it a clone/copy etc?
Just asking as i'm looking at local dealers in Oz with the Naze's in stock.

timecop

Post by timecop »

.Joel wrote:http://www.buzzhobbies.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=499

lol, didn't take long.
no, not mine.
boltrc and nextfpv? i think in .au have mine.

.Joel

Post by .Joel »

timecop wrote:boltrc and nextfpv? i think in .au have mine.

Brilliant, thanks TC!

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

.Joel wrote:http://www.buzzhobbies.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=499

The name LazyBee is a telltale :) An original would probably be called Naze32?

akcom

Post by akcom »

I've modified baseflight on my naze32 to allow me to use UART1 for gps instead of UART2, but I' having a bit of trouble with the afromini. UART1 is the serial link used to program the board, UART2 is our gps/serialrx, and I'm having a bit of trouble telling what UART3 is used for (PB10/PB11). Judging from the board and from baseflight it looks like its being mapped to i2c2. If that's the case then technically we should be able to remap the i2c SDA/SCL pins to UART Rx/Tx and use that instead. Any thoughts?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Sure, if you don't need any sensors.

akcom

Post by akcom »

timecop wrote:Sure, if you don't need any sensors.

So the SDA/SCL pins are exposed simply to facilitate the addition of other slave devices and the sensors are already on the i2c bus?

Can I just use the softserial driver then?

will11456

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread Pan&tilt gimbal help

Post by will11456 »

hello, i apologise if this thread is a bit old :L

But can anyone help me get my naze 32 to control a simple pan tilt gimbal?

I cant find any options in the cli for camstab, apart from SERVO_TILT which doesnt seem to work, and yes, the pins change i know :( nothing happend apart from a twitchy servo

Is this even possible?
im running a quad X,

can the naze run a pan tilt gimbal?
im using baseflight software btw

any help or intrusctions would be appreciated.
thanks

geekness

Post by geekness »

Is there any option or setting in the firmware that would account for having my motors angled forward, so that when I move forward in fast flight, my multi levels out?
In a hover the body/frame of the multi would lean backwards as if it is looking up at the sky, say at about 5-10 degrees, my motors would then be offset from each other in the horizontal plane. In forward flight they would then level out, but be pointed backwards to give me a better view of whats in front of me, and not the ground below me.

Would I just adjust the angle of the pitch to suit the angle of my motors, similar to how one would change the orientation of the board?

geekness

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread Pan&tilt gimbal help

Post by geekness »

will11456 wrote:hello, i apologise if this thread is a bit old :L

But can anyone help me get my naze 32 to control a simple pan tilt gimbal?

I cant find any options in the cli for camstab, apart from SERVO_TILT which doesnt seem to work, and yes, the pins change i know :( nothing happend apart from a twitchy servo

Is this even possible?
im running a quad X,

can the naze run a pan tilt gimbal?
im using baseflight software btw

any help or intrusctions would be appreciated.
thanks

You will find your answer in the very easy to find manual, on I think the 7th page.

nicosoh

Post by nicosoh »

having problems with my naze32 and my tri, i seem to be getting servo jitter while its on the ground. and when hovering it does tilt backwards every 3 seconds. does anyone know any settings i can change within the cli?

brm

Post by brm »

nicosoh wrote:having problems with my naze32 and my tri, i seem to be getting servo jitter while its on the ground. and when hovering it does tilt backwards every 3 seconds. does anyone know any settings i can change within the cli?

there is a stupid problem.
tc mentions buy another fc :-)

i hope to fly my servo mod on sunday.