Naze32 hardware discussion thread

FedorCommander

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by FedorCommander »

Have a weird issue...

Naze32 acro, rev5. When powered up, its 50-50 if it boots up or not. If boots up - all works as a charm. If not - Just blue led.

Boot pins are pulled to the ground (boot from flash). (Well, they were kinda floaty after all)

When booted up, i can reset the board with shorting pins 9 and 10 of SWD connector (RST)... When in limbo state - it doesnt work.

Regulators are providing 3.3 volts for digital and sensors parts.

It seems it boots up more often when powered via USB.

So where to dig?
Last edited by FedorCommander on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

Seems i find it. Was micro crack on one of the ground wire (probably because of hit or crash, and this one is very close to the edge of the board.

It was just a hair crack, i made it big.... ;)

Floating ground
Floating ground

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

Noone can give any help on my Naze board ?
I have de-soldered all pins cleaned the board with alkohol and I checked the board with a magnifying glass but I cannot work out what it could be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qh1gF1DDUw

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

It shouldn't that happily blink green led when in bootloader mode... :)
Led stays green during gyro calibration. Keep board ON THE DESK. It helps.

Try following:

v - no reboot sequence
v - flash on connect
v - full chip erase
o - flash slowly

Select firmware, load online...

Short boot pins. Make sure pin CLOSER TO CPU gets 3,3 volts (of course board needs to be powered for this)!!! In this case you should hit load bootloader on power up.
Then plug the board. It should start flashing it.

You can try to connect using FTDI over rx/tx pins. That will exclude CILABS usb chip from equation.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

v - no reboot sequence
v - flash on connect
v - full chip erase
o - flash slowly

Thanks a lot for your help FedorCommander
unfortunately I have tried many and all and again all combination with and without boot loader short .
I really have exhausted all combinations .

The only reply i get from the board ever to any action is the one shown in video
SO . YES i can fly it and I can even change settings if i use this method in the video to get the gui to connect .
BUT i cannot re-flash the board .
I am pretty sure its something with the bootloader (un brickable??)
Maybe I try a different way to flash ..?
Any links be appreciated on a HOW TO .
I guess using the pads on the board ?

Danekehm

Post by Danekehm »

I came across this while scouring google for an answer to my problem. Im having a similar problem as olddude. Plugs in fine, wont flash, wont connect. Its not the usb as i was using it all day yesterday for the same board. It just happened after a save and reboot that froze.

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

And when you select 3 first checkboxes AND THEN PLUG BOARD?

Bootloader is in the STM chip. You can't screw it up. The "where to boot from" stm32 selects by the value of 2 pins... BOOT0 and BOOT1 (pins 44 and 20). In normal boot (from flash), both pins should have solid 0!... Which is what you have at the moment. When yo short the boot pads on naze32 board, you are connecting BOOT0 (pin 44) to VCC (3.3v)... Thats what you better check with multimeter.

On other hand, if you cannot even flash without boot pins, i would try to bypass USB all together by connecting FTDI or Bluetooth to TX and RX pins in the middle of the board. Of course, don't power USB when connected to TX and RX. You should be able to RE-FLASH board over those pins.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

CHeers
I try TX and RX approach ..
with my FTDI
so i dont power the board at all ?
Or power it from the FTDI ?

When i find the hex file ...
I shall try

Danekehm

Post by Danekehm »

I took a few hours off and cooled down to rethink my approach. I wasnt getting a good short on boot 0 and 1 (no pins just board solder points.) i tried with wires i had lying around but a paperclip is what did the trick.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

ok so i couldn't wait i tried tx rx approach and I got to flash the hex \o/
It totally worked over tx rx
I can flash but unfortunately ...result is the same
Still connect to usb click on connect in CF and all lights go on .
Let a flash attempt 1st fail then connect it works ?

I ll try once more .,..

EDIT:

makes no difference always the same result ??
So in effect There is a way to get to gui ...fail a flash attempt then click connect
and there is a way to flash tis board .
Use hercules enter boatloader mode then tx rx ftdi and flash using Flashloader
This all works
So a perfectly working board then ...LOL well not ...
what is this ...?????

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

So if all works fine over ftdi - you can keep configuring it over ftdi while powering from servo connector. Right? BASE/CLEAN flight should work over ftdi just fine.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

yep I can flash it when its connected to ftdi
and i can run the GUI only if i let it fail a flash attempt over usb and then it connects and i can change settings ??
still no idea what the problem is on the board ??

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

Can you CONNECT and CONFIGURE over ftdi?

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

No i cant connect to the gui
only over usb if i fail a flash attempt .
I can flash using the utilities i mentioned
I would need TC to chip in otherwise i just have a brken board i guess

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

Yap. Something strange going on.

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

I accidentally ripped input pad #1 off of my naze.
Does anyone know if PPM input can be switched to another one of the input pads via the source code???

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

And solder it back no option?

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

nope, the pad is completely ripped off. cheap quality HK naze board.
can anyone help? I just need to figure out if it would be possible to map the PPM input to another pin, even if I have to figure out how to recompile the code myself. anybody???

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

To compile its not an issue at all.. All nicely described at leant on cleanflight site. Took me 15 minutes to get HEX on mac. Kinda nice.

Just curious. Is this possible to make custom mix, lets say for 6 motors, which will have 2 motors "useless" ? Of course those 2 motors will be on ripped off lines. ;) Lets say u have 6 motors... 2 have 0 authority for throttle, yaw, pitch and roll?

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

rubadub wrote:nope, the pad is completely ripped off. cheap quality HK naze board.
... I just need to figure out if it would be possible to map the PPM input to another pin...

bump on my question... Does anyone know if the STM can handle doing PPM on one of the other input pads?

waltr

Post by waltr »

rubadub wrote:nope, the pad is completely ripped off. cheap quality HK naze board.
can anyone help? I just need to figure out if it would be possible to map the PPM input to another pin, even if I have to figure out how to recompile the code myself. anybody???

This is not due to HK quality. This happens often on real Nazs32 boards when wires are soldered directly to the pads instead of using the connect as TC designed for.
Use a double row header soldered top and bottom. Then solder the wires to the header pins. The Pads will NOT pull off.

To fix the board solder on the 2-row header then solder a fine wire from the correct processor pin to the header. Fixed.

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

waltr wrote:

This is not due to HK quality. This happens often on real Nazs32 boards when wires are soldered directly to the pads instead of using the connect as TC designed for.
Use a double row header soldered top and bottom. Then solder the wires to the header pins. The Pads will NOT pull off.

To fix the board solder on the 2-row header then solder a fine wire from the correct processor pin to the header. Fixed.

actually, in my case, it came off due to a header pin and not a wire soldered directly to the pad.
I put absolutely no pressure on it, and yet the pad lifted right off.

The pad trace appears to go to a tiny resistor array, and then off to the pin on the STM.
I'd have to jumper either directly to the pin on the STM and add my own resistor, or to a very small contact point on the resistor array, hotglue it in place, and hope that it doesn't break.

Anyway, the jumper seems like a crappy solution.
It would be better if I could just move PPM input to another pin in code, recompile, and be done with it.

strepto

Post by strepto »

Pretty sure you can't map PPM to another pin.

Search this thread, I seem to remember someone asking the same thing...

Could be talking out my arse of course! :)

mj666

Post by mj666 »

Likely swapping two timer channels in timer.c (i.e. actually line 47,48) will do the remapping.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

FedorCommander wrote:To compile its not an issue at all.. All nicely described at leant on cleanflight site. Took me 15 minutes to get HEX on mac. Kinda nice.

Just curious. Is this possible to make custom mix, lets say for 6 motors, which will have 2 motors "useless" ? Of course those 2 motors will be on ripped off lines. ;) Lets say u have 6 motors... 2 have 0 authority for throttle, yaw, pitch and roll?

Sure is.

use

Code: Select all

mixer CUSTOM

and then use cmix commands to set up all 6 outputs.

Flanshaw

Post by Flanshaw »

Hi,
I'm wanting to out put telemetry data, from my naze32 into an Arduino nano or pro mini, then wirelessly (either usin nrf24l01 or Esp8266) transmit to a base station (either wifi or nrf24l01), so I can log the data
Anyone know if this has been done before, and how I'd get the data 'out' of the naze32. I'm thinking a might have to use the telemetry/bt/xbee Port, but struggling to find any clear specs on the output.

I know I could do this with cppm and telemetry module, but my tx does not support cppm (and I like tinkering with arduinos!!!)

Thoughts?????????

_Nm_

Post by _Nm_ »

HolyGarbage wrote:Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct thread, if not please direct me.
My problem is that I've managed to set up my new Naze32 FunFly board and I can get it to arm etc.
However... the motors will only spin if I boot it via usb.
It can be a usb connected to a charger, aka not to the computer.
I can even plug the usb in, plug the battery in and then remove the usb and it will work.
However, if I plug the battery in first, the propellers won't spin.
It will arm and everything, but props don't react to output.

One thing I did notice is that whenever I plug the battery in the esc only makes the first 3 short beeps, not the slower ones normally coming after.

Any idea what the issue might be?

Is there anyone that had the same problem and figured out what the problem was? I'm having the exact same problem as HolyGarbage.

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

can someone please confirm the size of the SMD resistor array located between the input pads and the STM? I believe it's a 0603 size, but I'm not sure, don't have much experience with this particular SMD package size. The resistor array on one of my naze boards was damaged when I was trying to lay down a jumper for a lifted input #1 pad, so I need to replace it.

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

rubadub wrote:can someone please confirm the size of the SMD resistor array located between the input pads and the STM? I believe it's a 0603 size, but I'm not sure, don't have much experience with this particular SMD package size. The resistor array on one of my naze boards was damaged when I was trying to lay down a jumper for a lifted input #1 pad, so I need to replace it.

bump.
Does anyone know if that array is an 0805 or a 0603? please help, thanks...

Teckos

Post by Teckos »

Hi there, could be nothing but I suspect something s wrong with my Naze32 full.
When I connect it on the USB and check Baseflight, the gyros act up and do not return any positionning data on Baseflight. Then after a couple of minutes, the model reacts on the setup page but still don't show a proper positionning. Sometimes, after some while, I do get proper readings.
I tried calibrating the mag again as suggested earlier in the thread but the issue remain.
The baro readings are also wrong. I get nothing in the Raw Sensor Data tab. Actually the X value changes but the graph remains flat.
Is the acc/gyro/baro sensor somehow dead or damaged?
I reset the board, updated the firmware with BaseFilght and even CleanFlight and the issue remain.

moro696

Post by moro696 »

Hello all,
i am new on this forum, since we are talking about arm 32 bit with floating point hardware, i am curious, did anyone tryied to implement a IMU system based on quaternions math and extended kalman filter on the current naze32 software?

I am asking because i tryied playing with free iNemo software from ST wich is based on using L3GD20 and LSM303dlhc on a cortex m4 device, namely stm32f4 , and after 48 hours with sensor sitting on my desk, there is no drift on all 3 axes

dank13

Post by dank13 »

hey guys,

I've been trying to find instructions on how to connect the frSky X4R receiver to the Acro naze32, but i can't seem to find it anywhere...

I know i'll need an inverter cable for the sBus, but i'm not sure where to connect the sBus cable to the Naze, some say i should use port 1, other say i should use port 4, can someone tell me the best way to connect to the Naze.

Also is it possible to use the telemetry with my taranis D9X II? I don't really need it as i'm running a micro OSD, but would be nice to be able to.

cheers,
dan

sarah

Post by sarah »

The artificial horizon does not return to level after a hard turn. Sometimes it stays at 45 degrees off. It will very slowly return to level after a period of level flight. Anybody have any ideas?

brm

Post by brm »

sarah wrote:The artificial horizon does not return to level after a hard turn. Sometimes it stays at 45 degrees off. It will very slowly return to level after a period of level flight. Anybody have any ideas?

a girl playing with technical equipment?!?
delay causes your problem.
to a certain degree a design / implementation problem.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

brm wrote:a girl playing with technical equipment?!?

I can just guess that this was supposed to be funny but you just come off as a chauvinist asshole. Or a terribly old person if you're lucky.

TXBob

Post by TXBob »

Hello,

New to the forum and to multirotors. I just bought and built a tricopter with the naze32 acro board. I flashed it with clean flight and I followed the step by step video on the naze32 set up from the flite test guys and everything works great when it is hooked up to the computer. I checked all of the receiver settings and everything works as it should, including the motors, until I unplug it from the computer.

Once unplugged from the computer, the tail servo still works just fine, but the motors won't spin and it is armed regardless of the position of the aux switch I set up to arm it.

I have rechecked all of the settings and even re-flashed and started over with the same results.

The radio is also new, a Graupner MZ-12 with the GR-16L receiver, so I have been over the settings on it as well. It all looks right, and when in the receiver tab on clean flight everything registers as it should. At this point any and all suggestions would be appreciated as this is my first multirotor and I am probably missing something simple...I hope.

Thanks,

Bob

brm

Post by brm »

fiendie wrote:
brm wrote:a girl playing with technical equipment?!?

I can just guess that this was supposed to be funny but you just come off as a chauvinist asshole. Or a terribly old person if you're lucky.

;-)
i remember your words about the meaning of plüschi.
you do as well?

Phobos

Post by Phobos »

Hi, I busted the CPU in my naze32 acro board.
Can I solder a STM32F3 in it's place? I have some of those laying around and heard they are pin compatible.
How much code change would be required?

brm

Post by brm »

Phobos wrote:Hi, I busted the CPU in my naze32 acro board.
Can I solder a STM32F3 in it's place? I have some of those laying around and heard they are pin compatible.
How much code change would be required?

it is almost compatible - you should check the i2c pin's.
if you can live with that ... do it.

ox1574

Post by ox1574 »

OK guys I am about to go crazy. I am setting up my Naze32 on a new QAV250 build. I have calibrated the accelerometer, and then the esc's via Cleanflight. I can test the motors from the GUI and all start at 1063. I can pull the master lever and they all run together in unison. When I test the throttle from the transmitter, it seems power to the motors is extremely erratic. I callibrated my TX to have the throttle range from 1000-2000. I am using the Lumeneir 2300kx 1806 motors. I will see if I can get a video uploaded from the GUI. In the meantime does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

ox1574

Post by ox1574 »

As you can see in the video some motors don't seem to get power until the throttle is increased. In this video I only increased the throttle three times. The power is fluctuating without me even touching the stick.
https://youtu.be/aWuTp_3kqu4

moro696

Post by moro696 »

Hello all,
i have a question, i have the naze32 full variant. Regarding GPS conection, its posible to connect the neo gps to other serial port instead of the standard pins from RC inputs? I am asking because i dont have cppm receiver and i am using full 8 channels. I saw naze32 has a aditional tx/rx pin somewhere in the midle of the board ( "number 8 specified in the manual figure").

Regards

JohnMB

Post by JohnMB »

Trouble shooting guide for NAZE32

My Naze32 has stopped communicating via USB, is there any guids for troubleshooting the USB connection?
I get a solid blue light but USB not recognized, (Device Descriptor Request Failed.)

any advice, or do I just start hunting for broken tracks?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Hi fellow Naze32 users.

Could someone tell me about how many Amps will hold original Naze32. I'll put FC into flying wing (maxi swift). I want to connect to FC: two digital servos (HITEC HS81MG), Rx (Rlink - 75ma@5v), GPS (RCTimer u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V3.0) and MinimOSD v1.1 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _v1_1.html). Can I connect all this things or it is better to use separate BEC for servos?

Thanks!

timecop

Post by timecop »

scrat wrote:Hi fellow Naze32 users.

Could someone tell me about how many Amps will hold original Naze32. I'll put FC into flying wing (maxi swift). I want to connect to FC: two digital servos (HITEC HS81MG), Rx (Rlink - 75ma@5v), GPS (RCTimer u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V3.0) and MinimOSD v1.1 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _v1_1.html). Can I connect all this things or it is better to use separate BEC for servos?

This question makes no sense. It doesn't generate any 5V, it just connects all 5V lines (motor/servo pins, receiver 5V pin, 5V pin in the 2x3 telemetry header).
If you're concerned about current, the 5V trace connecting servo pads together is 12mil in 1oz copper.

timecop

Post by timecop »

rubadub wrote:can someone please confirm the size of the SMD resistor array located between the input pads and the STM? I believe it's a 0603 size, but I'm not sure, don't have much experience with this particular SMD package size. The resistor array on one of my naze boards was damaged when I was trying to lay down a jumper for a lifted input #1 pad, so I need to replace it.

I'm pretty sure it's too late, but its 0804.

scrat

Post by scrat »

timecop wrote:
scrat wrote:Hi fellow Naze32 users.

This question makes no sense. It doesn't generate any 5V, it just connects all 5V lines (motor/servo pins, receiver 5V pin, 5V pin in the 2x3 telemetry header).
If you're concerned about current, the 5V trace connecting servo pads together is 12mil in 1oz copper.

Sorry. I'm concerned about current :oops: So will FC hold all connections or it's better to use separate BEC for powering servos?

timecop

Post by timecop »

12mil will hold 2A with 30C ambient temp and allowed 50C temperature rise. I have no idea what the stall current of HS81MG is, I see some spec saying operating current is ~250-280mA, so I guess you will be fine with this?

scrat

Post by scrat »

timecop wrote:12mil will hold 2A with 30C ambient temp and allowed 50C temperature rise. I have no idea what the stall current of HS81MG is, I see some spec saying operating current is ~250-280mA, so I guess you will be fine with this?

Thanks timecop! But for safety...I'll power servos from separate SBEC. I've found specs. 220mA at 5V at no load and 280mA at 6V at no load.

InterFectorem06

Post by InterFectorem06 »

I have a problem with my Naze32 board or my ESC's.

It all started when I tried to install a bluetooth module and had some problems with it, it didnt work. I remove the module, and plug everything back on the board, it doesn't power up. The weird thing is that my board works with USB, and my ESC's power up when I plug my battery in the distribution board. Once I put the BEC on the board, it dies.

List of things I tried: Other battery(I have a 3s 1400 mah battery) Powered my distribution board with a 13.6V power supply Directly powering esc (without distribution board) Measuring BEC voltages. This was really weird. I measured different voltages, sometimes a steady 5V, other times starting at 0.9V and dropping untill almost 0V. Measered 2.86V steady aswell as 3.1V. When I plug all BEC's in the board and measered every + and - onthe board, all 4 give 1.95V. The RX cables also measure 1.95V at + and -. I checked all my solderings, measured the battery voltage coming from the distribution board, ... I searched a lot of forums for a sulotion, still don't have a clue if somethings wrong, and if there is, is it the ESC, the board or still something else?

Kind regards,

Jarne