Naze32 hardware discussion thread

timecop

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

JUERGEN_ wrote:
nicog wrote:Why don't you try to use the naze32 windows configurator?

where is the naze32 windows configurator, to find it?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667516

vineetp

Post by vineetp »

code.google.com/p/naze32configurator

Source >> Browse >> Git >> Download

JUERGEN_

Post by JUERGEN_ »

not for Linux? :shock:

why not MAVLink compatible. :?:
as well ArduPilot, multipilot32, PX4, etc. 8-)

timecop

Post by timecop »

Noone uses Lunix.
and mavlink... let's just say qgroundcontrol is fucking hideous.

brm

Post by brm »

windows vista made be nervous...
way too many bugs ...
maybe we need easier tools for mavlink :)

do not know if i would buy windows 8 laptop!

nicog

Post by nicog »

JUERGEN: not for linux and not for icrap.

For linux use pine, for mac use parallels.

:-)

LeoWie

Post by LeoWie »

Variant: found half a faraday cage in the kitchen and a new pantyhose in the sleeping room. The red hole will be under the GPS RX soon, the green under the Naze32 (inside the central Schwimmnudel damper between GFK frame + power dist board) ... both connected to GND.
(see pic attached)
:mrgreen:
Remark: I did not ask my wife, she is at work. So possibly this is my last post for a long time.

... to be continued ... maybe. :roll:

~~~ edit ~~~
2 interference shields

PS: ... no prob with the pantyhose if I simply buy some warm winter stockings from WOLFART(?) tomorrow she said.

JUERGEN_ wrote:.
GPS interference is always a problem. :evil:

a protective against GPS interference.
is not to be underestimated

- http://flyduino.net/Groundplane-for-GPS

;)
Attachments
faraday_cage_2.JPG
faraday_cage.JPG
Last edited by LeoWie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bhuwan

Post by Bhuwan »

Hey @timecop (or anyone else :) - I tried to fly the quad (finally!) after having configured it via the GUI!
Sadly, the results are not so good and I am hoping someone can provide me with some guidance. The one thing that I notice immediately upon giving the quad enough power to hover, it wants to (1) roll to the right and (2) travel about it the yaw access, continually traveling until it does a full circle (360).

I've tried trimming the hell out of it and haven't had any luck to get it to behave in a manner in which I can actually control it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :D

timecop

Post by timecop »

Clear all trims and look in GUI for RC channel values. Use subtrim function on tx to center them all at 1500 (or 1520, or wahtever number they're all closer to), and do not touch trims again. If your tx center wasn't 1500, make sure to set midrc to the value you trimmed them all to (ex. set midrc=1520). Do NOT move the model while powering up, or make sure to run gyro calibration stick sequence after battery is plugged in and model is on the ground not moving. (both of these things are in the manual).

Bhuwan

Post by Bhuwan »

timecop wrote:Clear all trims and look in GUI for RC channel values. Use subtrim function on tx to center them all at 1500 (or 1520, or wahtever number they're all closer to), and do not touch trims again. If your tx center wasn't 1500, make sure to set midrc to the value you trimmed them all to (ex. set midrc=1520). Do NOT move the model while powering up, or make sure to run gyro calibration stick sequence after battery is plugged in and model is on the ground not moving. (both of these things are in the manual).

RTFM :D
Actually, I've already done all that (subtrimmed to ~1500). And I made sure that the model was on stable ground during power up. The one thing I've noticed is that it's pretty difficult to get the values to ~1500.

I'll try all of this again though.

Bhuwan

Post by Bhuwan »

timecop wrote:Clear all trims and look in GUI for RC channel values. Use subtrim function on tx to center them all at 1500 (or 1520, or wahtever number they're all closer to), and do not touch trims again. If your tx center wasn't 1500, make sure to set midrc to the value you trimmed them all to (ex. set midrc=1520). Do NOT move the model while powering up, or make sure to run gyro calibration stick sequence after battery is plugged in and model is on the ground not moving. (both of these things are in the manual).

RTFM :D
Actually, I've already done all that (subtrimmed to ~1500). And I made sure that the model was on stable ground during power up. The one thing I've noticed is that it's pretty difficult to get the values to ~1500.

I'll try all of this again though.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Then do gyro zero/cal once its sitting still.
The only other reasons for nonstop yaw or pitching etc is non-balanced frame with motors tilted etc.

Bhuwan

Post by Bhuwan »

timecop wrote:Then do gyro zero/cal once its sitting still.
The only other reasons for nonstop yaw or pitching etc is non-balanced frame with motors tilted etc.

Cool - now that we have a suspect, I have an area to mess around to try and resolve the issue. I'll report back, hopefully I'll have good results :)

Torque66

Post by Torque66 »

Thx for the great customer support yesterday TC... sorry to pollute the thread with non essentials... but i just had to say.

thx.... :mrgreen:

LeoWie

NOT a GPS RTH problem

Post by LeoWie »

Problem:
It looked like I have problems with GPS RTH (PH was fine from he beginning) with my Naze32: my copter got confused / began to turn after switching on RTH. Sometimes I lost control (looked like a P/I/D problem) ... especially at the H point.
1st I excluded all other bad influences: checking cables, mounting interference shields ...
As the effect still was there, I found out (... RTFM too late :oops: ), that ...

Solution:
There is a param that can be set via CLI:
nav_controls_heading = 0 (not 1, I do not need this this in the moment ...)

Details:
Tail control
There are three settings that control the copter’s heading during RTH. DO NOT COMMENT OUT THESE DEFINES just change the value true/false.
#define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING true
If this is true then during RTH the copter will always turns its head towards the home point. The heading control is governed by the MAG P value, lower P means the copter will turn slow, higher P equals quick turn. MAGHOLD must be active for this function. (and for all heading control functions)
Docu: MultiWii GPS assited Position Hold and RTH functions

Question:
Is this "MAG P" (see above) also in CLI? What gps_???_p could it be?

Many thanks again to Rotary65

Resümee 2: GPS maybe also will work on my Micro Naze (it's no interference problem caused by the mini size?)

rotary65 wrote:While looking into the magnetic declination question, I came across this nice (PDF) introduction into MWC GPS by EOSBandi. Although it's not really Naze32, it explains the GPS related MWC parameters and I thought I'd pass the link along to those of you experimenting with GPS. He includes a link to a neat GPS PID simulator(for Arducopter, but still useful) on the DYIDrones site.

ruffster

Post by ruffster »

Hi LeoWie,
Any chance you could post a link where to buy the GPS module that you're using successfully with Naze32?

I've got an MTK one and its not happening for me...
Thanks in advance
Ruffster

JUERGEN_

Post by JUERGEN_ »

ruffster wrote:Any chance you could post a link where to buy the GPS module that you're using successfully with Naze32?

there is nothing better than u-BLOX 6
e.g.
CN-06 GPS Receiver V2.0 -> http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

;)

LeoWie

Post by LeoWie »

ruffster wrote:Hi LeoWie,
Any chance you could post a link where to buy the GPS module that you're using successfully with Naze32?

I've got an MTK one and its not happening for me...
Thanks in advance
Ruffster

I tested an (old) Crius CN-06 (V1) and a http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rabbit-gps-r ... oller.html .
I would order the Crius CN-06 V2 (what Juergen wrote).

PS: Copter Test + Good Night Video with Crash ;) http://youtu.be/YOO0uk6tSlI

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

It is Possible with the RTH function to let the copter rise in the air 10 metre for example ( rise value should be configurable in the cli) before joining the take-off place?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Maybe with the working new althold code, but I'll wait until thats in official multiwi before moving it here.

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

i will then wait and see !

ruffster

Post by ruffster »

Thanks - got one ordered :)

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

Hi timecop what is the correct value for acc_hardware and mpu6050_scale ?

PS: i got a new Naze32 rev4 from abusemark last week 8-)

timecop

Post by timecop »

The default values are correct.

kad

Damaged capacitor?

Post by kad »

What would the effect of damage to the capacitor circled in the image below be? I think I may have accidentally let some of the magic smoke out today while testing a new wiring harness...

naze32_marked.jpg

-K
Last edited by kad on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

capacitor.
If you put 12V into it, you probably smoked 3.3V line, which means everything is dead.
If you just knocked it out, it's the bypass cap for baro, so probably no difference in performance.

Bhuwan

Post by Bhuwan »

That would suck if you blew the entire board :(

kad

Post by kad »

timecop wrote:capacitor.
If you put 12V into it, you probably smoked 3.3V line, which means everything is dead.
If you just knocked it out, it's the bypass cap for baro, so probably no difference in performance.

Thanks TC!

Not real good at identifying SMT components. It was 5v and the board seems to still function ok. It's a new build and I had not yet tried using the baro. How sensitive to power fluctuations is the baro on this board? Should I avoid using it? Will it work at all with the cap damaged?

-K

timecop

Post by timecop »

It'll probably work just fine. Or you can knock off anything that looks similar off another board and solder it up. If you see a bunch of caps like that near ICs, 99% chance they're same purpose (bypass caps), so you can just borrow one.

if all you did was touched 5V to it well,, then nothing bad happened probably.

JUERGEN_

USB - ARDUINO-MAPLE

Post by JUERGEN_ »

Last edited by JUERGEN_ on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Someone is looking for a fight. haha!!!

timecop

Post by timecop »

no kidding!

why not bootloader via USB ARDUINO-MAPLE

So I can trade my nice IDE with realtime debugging, a great compiler, etc for a green/white notepad.exe with an "upload" button and gcc? no thanks!

JUERGEN_

Post by JUERGEN_ »

timecop wrote:So I can trade my nice IDE with realtime debugging, a great compiler, etc ...

No, :shock:
only the USB - bootloader.

professional works anyway SWD. ;)

timecop

Post by timecop »

Still don't see any point. If I was going to make something with direct USB, I would just use the USB/DFU bootloader in ROM. All current stuff uses USB>Uart so this discussion is not relevant anyway.

yawstick

Post by yawstick »

I just got my very own nazzzzzze... its the one with only the 6050 gyro acc chip enabled. I've not tried to reflash the latest software yet and just fired it up with default whatever it was sent with. Ive looked but not found any mention of setting the minimum throttle to something lower than 1000... I'm getting a fast beep from the esc's which indicates throttle not at minimum... I would like to change this to 900.

The board looks very good TC

Thanks

JUERGEN_

Post by JUERGEN_ »

timecop wrote:....
All current stuff uses USB>Uart so this discussion is not relevant anyway.

the port is occupied with XBEE :roll:

timecop

Post by timecop »

yawstick wrote:I just got my very own nazzzzzze... its the one with only the 6050 gyro acc chip enabled. I've not tried to reflash the latest software yet and just fired it up with default whatever it was sent with. Ive looked but not found any mention of setting the minimum throttle to something lower than 1000... I'm getting a fast beep from the esc's which indicates throttle not at minimum... I would like to change this to 900.

Thanks

cli, 'set minthrottle=whatevervalueyouwant'
save
done.
better just set your throttle endpoints to 1000..2000 and recalibrate escs.

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

timecop wrote:
yawstick wrote:I just got my very own nazzzzzze... its the one with only the 6050 gyro acc chip enabled. I've not tried to reflash the latest software yet and just fired it up with default whatever it was sent with. Ive looked but not found any mention of setting the minimum throttle to something lower than 1000... I'm getting a fast beep from the esc's which indicates throttle not at minimum... I would like to change this to 900.

Thanks

cli, 'set minthrottle=whatevervalueyouwant'
save
done.

But we don't have a calibration feature :(

yawstick

Post by yawstick »

timecop wrote:cli, 'set minthrottle=whatevervalueyouwant'
save
done.

It's Alive.... actually mincommand was what needed changing... flying with non flashed esc's... needs a little tweaking but it flys.

Is there a preferred bluetooth adapter to use with the android configurator?

timecop

Post by timecop »

oh yeah, mincommand right. pretty much any BT adapter should work.

kad

Post by kad »

timecop wrote:oh yeah, mincommand right. pretty much any BT adapter should work.

Speaking of BT adapters, I went to solder a set of pins to the RX/TX points on mine and found the holes far too small to insert a set of standard header pins. Is there a smaller set of pins the holes are intended for? I'd rather not solder the BT cable to the board if I don't have to.

-K

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yeah, green/old revision blueboard had that issue. newer ones had the pins expanded. You can probably just file away a bit of the legs on a standard connector and fit it in.

Something like this will work as well:
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/476249 ... raight.jpg

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

Video from test GPS and alt Hold with new board Naze32 rev4 (No Dji Frame ;) )
http://vimeo.com/51219029

tcarnal

Post by tcarnal »

yawstick wrote:Is there a preferred bluetooth adapter to use with the android configurator?

I use this one
http://www.geekmag.fr/naze-32-test-et-configuration-de-la-fc-abusemark/2/

and used this to configure it correctly (Needed RS232 > TTL converter)
http://www.rasmicro.com/Bluetooth/EGBT-045MS-046S%20Bluetooth%20Module%20Manual%20rev%201r0.pdf

Default speed is 9600 baud but the board funtions at 115200 baud
you can change the board serial speed but at that speed firmware updates (not over bluetooth) will take ages :)
so the best thing is to change the bluetooth board ;)

icedfusion

Post by icedfusion »

For the SWD connector on the bottom of the board, Pin 1 is bottom left, is Pin 2 top left or the next one along to the right?

I see that there are 10 pads for soldering connections onto - However, for my JLink, when I look at the website it gives the following pin out to connect to my JLink which only gives 7 connections.

Is there a reason why there are 10 SWD pads?

Cheers

ice.

Code: Select all

1    VTref    Input    This is the target reference voltage. It is used to check if the target has power, to create the logic-level reference for the input comparators and to control the output logic levels to the target. It is normally fed from Vdd of the target board and must not have a series resistor.

2    Vsupply    NC    This pin is not connected in J-Link. It is reserved for compatibility with other equipment. Connect to Vdd or leave open in target system.

3    Not used    NC    This pin is not used by J-Link. If the device may also be accessed via JTAG, this pin may be connected to nTRST, otherwise leave open.

5    Not used    NC    This pin is not used by J-Link. If the device may also be accessed via JTAG, this pin may be connected to TDI, otherwise leave open.

7    SWDIO    I/O    Single bi-directional data pin.

9    SWCLK    Output    Clock signal to target CPU. It is recommended that this pin is pulled to a defined state of the target board. Typically connected to TCK of target CPU.

11    Not used    NC    This pin is not used by J-Link. This pin is not used by J-Link when operating in SWD mode. If the device may also be accessed via JTAG, this pin may be connected to RTCK, otherwise leave open.

13    SWO    Output    Serial Wire Output trace port. (Optional, not required for SWD communication.)

15    RESET    I/O    Target CPU reset signal. Typically connected to the RESET pin of the target CPU, which is typically called "nRST", "nRESET" or "RESET".

17    Not used    NC    This pin is not connected in J-Link.

19    5V-Supply    Output    This pin is used to supply power to some eval boards. Not all JLinks supply power on this pin, only the KS (Kickstart) versions. Typically left open on target hardware.

breezemont

Post by breezemont »

hinkel wrote:Video from test GPS and alt Hold with new board Naze32 rev4 (No Dji Frame ;) )
http://vimeo.com/51219029
Looks good!

timecop

Post by timecop »

icedfusion wrote:For the SWD connector on the bottom of the board, Pin 1 is bottom left, is Pin 2 top left or the next one along to the right?

I see that there are 10 pads for soldering connections onto - However, for my JLink, when I look at the website it gives the following pin out to connect to my JLink which only gives 7 connections.

Is there a reason why there are 10 SWD pads?

Cheers

ice.

It's 10pin because it standard cortex-m debug connector.
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/co ... ectors.pdf
Pin1 is the one next to letter "B" of 'Bootloader' text. After that, pin2 is above, etc. See the PDF.

ruffster

Post by ruffster »

Just got a Acro Naze 32 through (thanks TC) for an old Zagi flying wing that I'm recovering.

Could anyone tell me which outputs go to the two servos and the esc on the flying wing mixer before I solder the headers? thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

You can check this:

static const uint8_t airPPM[] = {
    PWM1 | TYPE_IP,     // PPM input
    PWM9 | TYPE_M,      // motor #1
    PWM10 | TYPE_M,     // motor #2
    PWM11 | TYPE_S,     // servo #1
    PWM12 | TYPE_S,
    PWM13 | TYPE_S,
    PWM14 | TYPE_S,     // servo #4
    PWM5 | TYPE_S,      // servo #5
    PWM6 | TYPE_S,
    PWM7 | TYPE_S,
    PWM8 | TYPE_S,      // servo #8
    0xFF
};

static const uint8_t airPWM[] = {
    PWM1 | TYPE_IW,     // input #1
    PWM2 | TYPE_IW,
    PWM3 | TYPE_IW,
    PWM4 | TYPE_IW,
    PWM5 | TYPE_IW,
    PWM6 | TYPE_IW,
    PWM7 | TYPE_IW,
    PWM8 | TYPE_IW,     // input #8
    PWM9 | TYPE_M,      // motor #1
    PWM10 | TYPE_M,     // motor #2
    PWM11 | TYPE_S,     // servo #1
    PWM12 | TYPE_S,
    PWM13 | TYPE_S,
    PWM14 | TYPE_S,     // servo #4
    0xFF
};

The PWM1..14 maps are like this:

TIM2_CH1    RC1             PWM1
    TIM2_CH2    RC2             PWM2
    TIM2_CH3    RC3/UA2_TX      PWM3
    TIM2_CH4    RC4/UA2_RX      PWM4
    TIM3_CH1    RC5             PWM5
    TIM3_CH2    RC6             PWM6
    TIM3_CH3    RC7             PWM7
    TIM3_CH4    RC8             PWM8
    TIM1_CH1    PWM1            PWM9
    TIM1_CH4    PWM2            PWM10
    TIM4_CH1    PWM3            PWM11
    TIM4_CH2    PWM4            PWM12
    TIM4_CH3    PWM5            PWM13
    TIM4_CH4    PWM6            PWM14

RC1..8 = side RC inputs
PWM1..6 in middle column = motor outputs 1..6
You can check the 2 maps above (PWM and PPM), for example for airPPM,
motor throttle goes to MOTOR1 pin,
then L/R servos go to MOTOR3+MOTOR4.
Don't forget to set servo_pwm_rate to 50hz if you aren't using digital servos.

For flyingwing stuff, i've made some small prototypes for PPM input w/mpu6050 and baro:
http://i.imgur.com/GEIUA.jpg

ruffster

Post by ruffster »

Brill - thank you

timecop wrote:For flyingwing stuff, i've made some small prototypes for PPM input w/mpu6050 and baro:
http://i.imgur.com/GEIUA.jpg

I hope you do a batch of those I'd love a couple!