Naze32 hardware discussion thread

webunder

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by webunder »

nicog wrote:
webunder wrote:I'm very interesting in Naze32 board. But to read all 85 pages are not easy to me.
Can anyone tell me which page has an "index page" of best thing to read first? I want to set it up from nothing?!? I'm very newbie. need how to/(step by step) photo to start with..
Now what I already has is flysky th9x.. Then what should I buy? Anyone here can set it up and sell to me?I need to save my time, Please PM for any seller.

And I'm want to fly like warthox, So I will start with Naze32, Now I confused between
pitchpump.de/?p=1610 and abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30
how it different? is that possible to by from abusemark and update cc3d in it? will it be the same as from pitchpump or not?
To buy from abusemark are more cheaper for me.I need to fly 3d like upside down sometime. So please help me.
hope to get it clear here.

Thank you
best regards

So it seems that you are not ready for 3d (fly upside down) yet. So you can forget about it right know. for the rest just read the manual. Either boards, pitchpump and abusemark are the same. Buy wether you prefer.

Why do you want to put the cc3d firmware? Yes you can, not documented, but you can.

First thing to do for you, is buy a rtf quad and start from ground 0. Flying experience will come with time and eventually you will fly like warthox (he is not a beginner, he has many many hours of flight time). So RTFM, fly a lot crash a lot. And when you feel confident, come back for 3d mods. Not now. You will just kill yourself.

Thank you
I'm already has rtf like.. v929 for 5-6pcs , and 6pcs of 808 #16 v2, and few set of 2.4ghz fpv and uhf.
I want to go bigger. Looking for something like warthox hope I can find some step by step setup somewhere.
Maybe an index page for easy learning.
Or anyone selling warthox please pm me.
Thank you

nicog

Post by nicog »

Warthox is a person, and i believe he is not for sale....

RonSII

Post by RonSII »

^^...You never know... depends on price ;)

mulou

Post by mulou »

Received replacement acro board, just tested, works perfect, thanks timecop!

veqtor

Post by veqtor »

Question, just to make sure I'm not screwing anything up...

With a tricopter, with gimbal, the gimbal servos are S1 and S2, the tail servo is M1 and the tail, right and left are M2, M3 and M4?

Does the naze32 have a built in regulator or does it need power from a bec externally?

timecop

Post by timecop »

No gimbal on tricopter unless you want to edit PWM maps.
Certainly doable, but edge enough case to not support out of the box.

It does have a regulator, but for 3.3V only, you can't power it with more than 5V.

veqtor

Post by veqtor »

timecop wrote:No gimbal on tricopter unless you want to edit PWM maps.
Certainly doable, but edge enough case to not support out of the box.

It does have a regulator, but for 3.3V only, you can't power it with more than 5V.

Okay, confusing, because it says in the manual:
NOTE In Tri-copter mode, tail tilt servo connects to S1, and motors M1..M3 as shown in
Fig 3. Motor connections on the previous page. When camera stabilization is enabled,
gimbal pitch/roll servos connect to S1/S2, and motor connectors shift as well.

Since it is in the same paragraph it appears to refer to the tricopter mode.

Could it handle 6v or is it a bit too much? I want to use a sbec for servos... All my speed controllers are without internal becs.

Is there a schematic for naze32 anywhere, I want to see where I could connect other hardware specific functions.

timecop

Post by timecop »

5.5V is absolute max. I wouldn't recommend anything > 5V.
Schematic is in the first post, as well as on the page where you got it from.
The part of manual you quoted talks about SERVOS and what happens to them, not the fact that camstab on a tri is doable.
It's an easy change in code, but you'll need PPM receiver. Then you can have camstab servos on a tri.

Pozzix

Post by Pozzix »

Hi guys I'm new to this fc and I have some questions (I read manual of course and first page of this thread):

I take one Naze32 and Acro Naze32 to build two different quads and learn to fly "manual". I have KK2 already to learn manual basis flight.
Is it possible to know through CLI the version of firmware loaded into fc?
Through "version" cli command I can see 2.1.
I suppose that is impossible to verify what version of baseflight it has loaded...

Thanks

Max

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

Go by the date.

Pozzix

Post by Pozzix »

Thanks Jef...

my version cli command show:

Afro32 CLI version 2.1 Mar 4 2013 / 15:27:28

Can I assume from date range, that version is one of these, or I'm completely wrong?
In case, which of these build is:

r286 forgot to increment the config version. Mar 4, 2013

r285 hex file with the latest changes from timecop. Mar 4, 2013

r284 merge in last changes from timecop. - removing unused vatriables. Mar 4, 2013

How is the key to read version information respect build and date?

Thanks for help

Max

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, currently shipping boards firmware is from before I started 2.2 merge, r285 sounds about right.

Pozzix

Post by Pozzix »

Thanks Timecop for your time,

Hence there isn't a key to read and map version command output with build...

So, I suppose that baseflight (r285) is newest respect which one on official code site....baseflight-20130206 (19-feb 2013).

I also noticed that build code on source page reaching build r316 and I know that these build are under testing.
So how does it work?
Is better for us (us aka pilot), to wait official release on institutional fw page (http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/do ... nloadCount) to install new release on fc.

Last questions is about CLI (2.1) and manual
Are there some connection between cli version and WINGUI version?
May I use my actual baseflight (r285 like and CLI 2.1) with WINGUI 2.2?

May I consider true that this fc "works" with PID theory? like KK2 fc? or I have to know something about?
When will be planned the next manual release?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but I have search on internet and I found a lot of information but I have lost something about fw release, maintenance and so on.

BTW, thank for you time.

Max

timecop

Post by timecop »

Latest .hex suitable for user consumption is
https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/s ... n316&r=288
Releases are done when they're done.
zipfile on download page is for convenience and has no correlation with being "approved" or "final" version of anything.

Pozzix

Post by Pozzix »

ok, and how can I download this r288? through the link I can only see the code...

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

the .hex file is it.

Pozzix

Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by Pozzix »

Yes I see that is .hex file but I can't download with my browser. Can I put this code inside in a text file (choosing view raw file)? Sorry for a dummy question but I not found other solution right now

timecop

Post by timecop »

Have you TRIED looking at the FIRST POST of this thread?
It tells you EXACTLY what to do.
And chances are if you bought the hardware after the time stamp on the hex, you probably already have it loaded anyway!

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

Pozzix wrote:Yes I see that is .hex file but I can't download with my browser. Can I put this code inside in a text file (choosing view raw file)? Sorry for a dummy question but I not found other solution right now

I would get an ACE ONE, they have a very nice interface.

Pozzix

Post by Pozzix »

Hey guys,

I'm not so noob (working on Computer stuff by some decades: I started on 1986 with Wang and Digital mainframe ..not pc but I don't have developer skill and I don't want to have ;-D)

With Firefox browser there isn't no option to "save as" (and I don't know why) as stated on first page (and for stated I intend "save as" not that this works on Firefox) that I have read a couple of days ago.

So, with iexplorer (I hate this one), "save as" works now, so thank you for your assistance.

Just to tell you about others FC, I starting 6 months ago with Naza (on TBS Disco now) and KK2 on quad frame (just to acro flight) and I able to make other lite stuff like updating KK2 Fw or flash Simok fw on Esc's and so on.
I'm awaiting in mail CC3D also and I don't want ACE One or others like that.

These things do not make me scared, I haven't problem to search and found on Internet (supposing that these information exists) and I don't have problems to be autonomous but I have to know before, some basis for this fc's.

Hence, I ask to you a little support in this forum (that I suppose is for people that have Naze, or I'm wrong) just for some basic info.

I found a beautiful thread on RCGroups also, maybe it's your "Timecop", (but I know unfortunately that it was discontinued) and I have now a little bit of material to work.

Max
Last edited by Pozzix on Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vectR

Post by vectR »

Pozzix wrote:Yes I see that is .hex file but I can't download with my browser. Can I put this code inside in a text file (choosing view raw file)? Sorry for a dummy question but I not found other solution right now

Firefox should download the code just fine. Go to View raw file as you mentioned and right click your mouse over the code and choose Save Page As.... This will be a text file with the name baseflight.hex . This file will be in the correct format and ready to be uploaded.

Pozzix

Post by Pozzix »

Is what I wanted to do but "save as" doesn't appear. I cannot (or I don't know) how to attach a screenshot but the word "save" appears only as "save link as" and "save link to pocket".

Btw with I.E. I have resolved.
Max

vectR

Post by vectR »

Pozzix wrote:Is what I wanted to do but "save as" doesn't appear. I cannot (or I don't know) how to attach a screenshot but the word "save" appears only as "save link as" and "save link to pocket".

Max

If you want to try to "fix" Firefox there may be a solution if you follow this link
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cant-download-or-save-files

RonSII

Post by RonSII »

Pozzix wrote:Is what I wanted to do but "save as" doesn't appear. I cannot (or I don't know) how to attach a screenshot but the word "save" appears only as "save link as" and "save link to pocket".

Max

So........ did you try the 'save link as'??? I'm guessing you have never saved a file with firefox, work fine for me on several computers all running assorted version's of FF.... I simply browse through googles code site until I find a link to a file I want ie...BaseFlight.hex and right/alternate click on it and choose 'save link as' after all it is a link...

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Hi!

Regarding a plastic case for the Naze32v4 board... Is there a 3d-printer ready design somewhere on thingiverse or on shapeways? I'd buy one but they are perpetually out of stock on abusemark, so am thinking about 3D printing one... There are heaps of CC3D cases on both sites, but nothing Naze32, anyone care to share? Because sharing is caring :)

ytheleus

Post by ytheleus »

Hi,
What would be the upper limit of current the board uses (is 100mA enough?)
Thanks. :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

yes more than enough

kaz1104

Post by kaz1104 »

Hi people, I have just migrated over from rcgroups for the naze32 discussion.
I should just lurk around for a bit but I have a question that is pretty specific, and has been bouncing around in my head for a while

The naze32 has the "carefree" option where left is left, and back is back regardless of the orientation of the board.
Okay, If I were to tilt all 4 motors on a quad to make the thing spin like a top all the time (or a couple of dedicated "spin" motors), I could then attach some high lift "wingtips" outboard of the motors (at a light angle of attack from horizontal).
When spinning it should gain lift allowing power to be reduced on the 4 motors while still allowing pitch and roll control.

The magic question is ... how fast can you spin the quad/creation and not have the board crap out?

Mark

timecop

Post by timecop »

mag is sampled every 100ms (I think?) so probably not a lot :)

kaz1104

Post by kaz1104 »

timecop wrote:mag is sampled every 100ms (I think?) so probably not a lot :)

Thanks TC, Thought I had such a great plan. Is the mag sample rate a fixed thing?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Well, 5883 only has like 100Hz max ODR to begin with so... yes. I think we're making it sample at 75Hz and then read out every 100ms. 75Hz is 13.33ms, but I2C reading it at that speed would be impossible. (while reading other sensors)

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

Hiya :D

Been very quiet here lately, people more interested in flying than codeing i presume.

Ok i need help/advice here,
The Afromini32 doesnt have any info in the manual at all. I know its a AcroNaze32 only smaller(thats what i like about it)but im confused by the motor/servo setup. Its marked on the PCB
M1
M2
M3
M4
Thr
ppm

looking at it from the back, top to bottom.

The Xquad and +quad are self explanatory so is the Y4. The problem i have is with the Tricopter, what are the servo placings, is it :
M1=Servo
M2=M1
M3=M2
M4=M3

If someone can let me know in the above format so even little old me cant go wrong i would be very grateful :D
Oh and i know this really isnt the right place to ask :oops: but i get no response from the throttle in Flying_Wing mode and ive tried all the normal stuff like arming it and setting mincommand etc etc . About to give up on it unless someone else has a suggestion, it works perfectly without the afromini32 so its got to be something simple.

Ray ;)

timecop

Post by timecop »

afromini doesn't connect PWM2. So you have RC_CH1, PWM1, PWM3-6.
in treecopter mode, servo goes into PWM1, then you have motors on PWM3,4,5.
So servo goes into S1, motors in S2-4.

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

Thanks tc at least i was on the right track there, gonna flash baseflight r304 and see if i can get throttle to work, else ill try the openaero32 code and see if i can make that work.

timecop

Post by timecop »

I'm not sure what the deal with throttle is. ABL I know flew a lot of afrominis in wings, so maybe he has some idea what needs to be done? Anyway, I think you mean baseflight r345 :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

Woops. Just looked at layout - totally disregard what I said about treecopters and motor ordering.
The assignment is such:
PPM = RC_CH1
THR = PWM1
S1 = PWM3
S2 = PWM4
S3 = PWM5
S4 = PWM6

So treecopter will be servo -> THR, and motors on S1/2/3. Sorry.

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

Thanks tc that works fine on my mini tri, given up on the wing for the mo, might try again later but not really bothered.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

This maybe a dumb question but I am going to ask any way. :?

How compatible is the CopterControl 3D from the OpenPilot with the Naze32?

http://store.openpilot.org/openpilot-ha ... ntrol.html

thank you.

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

I dont know because my time with CopterControl was very short HeHe. I upset them and got thrown out of the forum :? ,Ahh those were the Days :twisted:

cyberpilot360

Post by cyberpilot360 »

Hey
I've been flying the naze for about 7 months now and yesterday I decided to dismount it and mount it on a new quad ( the same as before). Everything is the same, motors, esc's. I have connected everything right as it was before, but now ONLY motors 3 and 4 work when I throttle up. I reflashed the board but still the same. In the GUI it looks like all motors are running. Any ideas on what's going on?? :?

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

Hiya,

Hey cyberpilot360 if everything is OK in the Gui then it has to be the esc's causing your problem(assuming everything is connected right) Is tranny set up right, have esc's been taught their settings.

Tc on the same subject, when the Acromini32 is set to Quadx or Y4 i can only get 3 motors to run that is THR,S1,S2 i get no response from S3 and S4 what am i doing wrong? sorry if thats a Dumb question.

Ray :)

cyberpilot360

Post by cyberpilot360 »

I've checked the esc's, but I'll check them again, and yes all esc's are calibrated. I'll check everything again in case I missed something.

cyberpilot360

Post by cyberpilot360 »

......I was looking at the board in the manual upside down.... never build a quad late at night :oops:

JbotMonkey

Post by JbotMonkey »

Hey look, TC's stuff now sold in Australia: http://madetofly.com.au/shop/flightcont ... fly32-pro/

Except, oh, it seems to be called the SpiritFly and it's twice the price...(depending on Yen v AUD on a given day). Guess I'll keep getting stuff direct.

That is a Naze32 right?

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

Huh, interesting. They took the Harakiri fork. Took the manual and rebranded it too. Buggers.

Whois shows the contact as Paul Laoumitzis, NSW.

zelea2

Re: Naze32 price

Post by zelea2 »

zelea2 wrote:All I'm saying is that a price of nearly £42 has quite a lot of margin for a ~10$ BOM. The 2 layer 5x5cm PCB is sub dollar are there is nothing special about the schematic. It's just an ARM with sensors hooked to various pins. If I want to reproduce the exact schematic I don't even have to look at the board, the defines from the code are enough.

A couple of months ago I was mentioning that naze32 is too expensive for its BOM. I haven't purcased one and instead I've just waited. Today I have the flip32 which is a similar 6axis board for 20$. There are footprints on the board for a magnetic sensor and baro sensor. I've got a 1$ magnetic sensor HMC5883 from aliexpress and now I have a sub 30$ (delivered) 9-axis 32-bit board (35x35mm in size).

I've seen timecop on other forums calling these boards "shovelware". I think this is just a superiority complex as in "I'm the only person in this world who knows how to design PCBs with an ARM on it". That's all I had to say.

ABL

Post by ABL »

zelea2 wrote:. I think this is just a superiority complex as in "I'm the only person in this world who knows how to design PCBs with an ARM on it". That's all I had to say.

Cool Story, Bro

timecop

Post by timecop »

zelea2 wrote:
zelea2 wrote:All I'm saying is that a price of nearly £42 has quite a lot of margin for a ~10$ BOM. The 2 layer 5x5cm PCB is sub dollar are there is nothing special about the schematic. It's just an ARM with sensors hooked to various pins. If I want to reproduce the exact schematic I don't even have to look at the board, the defines from the code are enough.

A couple of months ago I was mentioning that naze32 is too expensive for its BOM. I haven't purcased one and instead I've just waited. Today I have the flip32 which is a similar 6axis board for 20$. There are footprints on the board for a magnetic sensor and baro sensor. I've got a 1$ magnetic sensor HMC5883 from aliexpress and now I have a sub 30$ (delivered) 9-axis 32-bit board (35x35mm in size).

I've seen timecop on other forums calling these boards "shovelware". I think this is just a superiority complex as in "I'm the only person in this world who knows how to design PCBs with an ARM on it". That's all I had to say.

.. Not that I should be justifying ANYTHING I do to random retards on the internet... :)
Last edited by timecop on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

battlejuice

Post by battlejuice »

Hi guys,

first thing I'm new to RC so forgive me my noobism please. I'll try my very best to only ask question I cannot figure out myself or to be sure respectively.

I'm planing to build a tiny little nanoquad with brushed motors, because i have used Naze32 before and I liked, I ordered a bunch of Acro Naze for this purpose. However I didn't realize the specific details of FC-ESC connections. I measured with an Oszi and I assume the standard brushless ESC accepts 400Hz PWM signal about between 40% and 80% pulse width and translates in into ~0-100% motor speed.

However I am planning to use TTL-compatible BS170 or BUZ11 MOSFETs with Naze-PWM on the gate to directly drive the Motors with an PWM Signal between 0 and 100%. I already tried with another µC at 400Hz, works fine.

But how do I make the Naze to give out PWM Signal between 0 and 100%?

I have already set up a working toolchain to compile and flash (works at least if I'm using Linux for the one and Windows for the other... been a real pain in the ass though) the Naze and went through some code. But that's where the noobishness kicks in:

I assume I have to adjust the border conditions of some variables in the value table of CLI.c so I'll be able to tune the full range (0-2500) in the CLI, but which ones? I guess either maxthrottle and minthrottle or maxcheck and mincheck. Don't know what they exactly do. I'd guess one is the accepted range of the receiver PWM and the other one the desired range of Motor PWM output, but I am not sure.

I have no ability to test right now, because I don't want to ruin my perfectly fine working big Naze32 Quad and i don't have all equipment for the new setup yet.

So what should I exactly change to drive brushed motors or is this all a rather dumb idea?

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

Hi Timecop !
Thank you for the quality of your Naze32 Hardware ! :) ;)
+1000

Greetings
hinkel