Naze32 hardware discussion thread

e_lm_70

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by e_lm_70 »

KC_703 wrote:
pjman wrote:Hey guys - just a quick question for the experts. I have been using the KK FC's for a while with varying results. I had a HK Multiwii Pro board and have just started playing with that FC - again with varying results. Everyone I see raves about the Naze32 and I will order one shortly however for the guys that have used the older boards - is it worth scraping the HK Pro and just waiting for the Naze? I only started using the Pro as I thought the GPS hold etc would be cool but I haven't got that working yet. Also RTL sounds handy. I tried Megapirate on there but only one switch is active so have to muck around with mixing to get the different flight modes.

Any opinions would be handy.

Edit - got a hex now with a gimbal and gopro - looking to do slower flight with good quality video.

The Naze32 is a great flyer... responsive, feature rich, IMO.

Mixed reviews for GPS assisted flight. If you're looking for waypoint/mission based flight for AP, the Naze32 is probably not the best unless your hex is super stable from weight or your compensating through Tx programming. Get a 250 mini-h and do some tree dodging... :)

Naze32 with Harakiri is reported to do GPS "stuffs" better then APM

Anyhow, already APM is not for everybody, Harakiri and Naze32 is even for less people ... for the mass, there is DJI :mrgreen:

PS: reading above about KK2 ... also KK2.x can do GPS and UAV ... very very good ;) ... but again .. it is only for few people to do this :ugeek:

Animal60

Post by Animal60 »

timecop wrote:just that.
feature servo_tilt.
motors move by 2 pins down
servos go into M1/M2.
quad motors are in M3/4/5/6.
Then go to servos tab in configurator and enable stuff relevant to gimbal servo direction/gain/etc.
done.

-------------------------

timecop wrote:"rate" is gain.
Yes, you can assign as switch. Just like your pic shows.

I can move the servo with a pot on radio to set it's position but the servo will not track movement of the quad.
I have adjusted the rate up to 100% in both positive and negative direction without any effect.
It dose not make any difference weather it is armed or not.

I am running

# version
Afro32 CLI version 2.2 Jun 1 2014 / 22:14:50

# status
System Uptime: 770 seconds, Voltage: 0 * 0.1V (1S battery)
CPU 72MHz, detected sensors: ACC BARO MAG ACCHW: MPU6050.n
Cycle Time: 3500, I2C Errors: 0, config size: 924

22:38:31 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 3
22:38:31 -- Unique device ID received - 0x672ff504856775087223427
22:38:31 -- Firmware Version: 2.3

Could there be some problem with the version of firmware running in Naze32...
looking forward to your reply

***************************************************************************************************************************

Found the answer the control called CAMSTAB under AUX switch section needs to be switched on as well to get the thing working...
Thanks to timecop for his patients.

Is there a way of setting this control without having to use a switch.
Last edited by Animal60 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoShoes

Post by NoShoes »

So to be clear, the flyaway issues with the firmware have been solved right? Just got in 2 naze32 acro boards for my quads, when I update the firmware to the newest is that a tested safe firmware version?

scrat

Post by scrat »

There was no flyaway.

NoShoes

Post by NoShoes »

spredana wrote:
timecop wrote:Probably related to fucked up firmware that caused lockups with PWM receivers during late april/may development versions. I *think* I fixed this stuff - still testing w/a few people - for now current 'online' firmware has been rolled back to a known working version (April 6th or so).

I feel much better after reading this, thanks tc :)

this issue, just double checking its fixed.

timecop

Post by timecop »

That's not a flyaway, also, why the hell are you using PWM receiver in 2014?

Parkker

Okay this has to be a really dumb question..

Post by Parkker »

Just received the Naze 32 acro board. Got it connecting to Baseflight Configurator. In BC, initial setup, it shows Model: Quad X. How does one change this to different model like Quad plus, hexacopter, etc? (I am running a V-Tail, will this board even work with a V-Tail?) Obviously I am missing something obvious. Thanks for helping this noob out.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Did you read basic manual for this FC?

Parkker

Post by Parkker »

Okay thanks I went over manual but didn't understand the CLI bit. I hacked about in there and miraculously was able to change model to Vtail. Can't believe I did it as it's not that clear to someone like me but thanks for tip it was in the manual just needed that reinforcement.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

Best board in da world
Iam more flying less on forums :)

Question ...i might be wrong i have not checked but is it right that latest firmware lets yu use , say a BT module as well as the minimosd >?
Has he naze32 gotten more then 1 serial port?
I seen some vid a dude using pins next to the 4 & 5 for GPS ..to connect all sorts of serial things ?

EDIT : Found it !

Yes its possible now :)
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/wiki/Telemetry

I shall be busy this evening >.

Parkker

Right angle motor header pins

Post by Parkker »

Hello, does anyone know a source for the motor connections solder on right angle header pins for NAZE 32 Acro?
Some of the places that sell the board itself have options to add these when you purchase the board but i just want the pins without buying the board.
Thanks

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

Search for 3x40 right angle headers. If in the US, you can get them from sparkfun... Or in larger quantities from eBay.

geekness

Post by geekness »

Hi All, I'm new to this thread, I've just picked up a couple of Naze32 boards to go on some mini quads I've built. Coming from an APM background, this has been a real breath of fresh air, just so easy, although documentation seems to be still under construction.

I'd like to start off by saying thanks to timecop, and any others involved, for producing such a great piece of hardware, great work.

I have a question regarding powering the board. If I have my 3S lipo connected to the boards battery monitor via the PDB, do I need to power it through the ESC power still? Also, can I use a standard servo plug and cable for the battery monitor? Im guessing it's not going to be pulling many amps.

On another note, does anybody know whether baseflight will ever support missions and waypoints, similar to what the APM's mission planner does? As I mentioned, I have come from an APM background running missions for aerial photography and mapping. Im pretty sure the hardware is all on board already, just the firmware and software need those additions. Not saying baseflight must run missions, im just being curious that's all.

geekness

Post by geekness »

Oh, a couple of other things I forgot to ask....

How important is it to keep the board isolated from vibrations? I have my board mounted directly to my frame with no isolation.
Do i need to cover the barometer from wind and light.

timecop

Post by timecop »

mine are hardmounted wth plastic standoffs. works just fine.
yes, baro needs tape over it (i use 4mm HK double-stick tape, and just stick large chunk of it over the baro.

geekness

Re: Right angle motor header pins

Post by geekness »

Parkker wrote:Hello, does anyone know a source for the motor connections solder on right angle header pins for NAZE 32 Acro?
Some of the places that sell the board itself have options to add these when you purchase the board but i just want the pins without buying the board.
Thanks

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31592__90_Degree_Pin_Header_3_Row_30_Pin_2_54mm_Pitch_5PCS_.html?strSearch=Pin%20Header
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31591__90_degree_Pin_Header_2_Row_30Pin_2_54mm_Pitch_5PCS_.html?strSearch=Pin%20Header
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31590__90_Degree_Pin_Header_1_x_30_Pin_2_54mm_Pitch_5PCS_.html?strSearch=Pin%20Header

Just search for pin header at hobbyking

geekness

Post by geekness »

timecop wrote:mine are hardmounted wth plastic standoffs. works just fine.
yes, baro needs tape over it (i use 4mm HK double-stick tape, and just stick large chunk of it over the baro.

Thanks for the info.

The tape you use, is it this stuff: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8999__Peel_n_stick_foam_double_sided_tape_10x5inch_4mm_thick.html
I have some of this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=26456, and I also have some normal double sided tape.
Maybe I can put tape around the baro, and put this foam over the top, like a lid.

dzwiss

Post by dzwiss »

Can someone direct me to a 'how to' to add sonar to Naze32 and how to set it up? Or perhaps post instructions here? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

From the "Development Todo" page (https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/wiki/Development-Todo) there is this entry:

pwm RSSI input (eg from FrSky D4R in ppm mode) on RC pin 2 (or wherever) when feature PPM enabled

I'm new to the platform, so I apologize for my ignorance, but is a physical input always required for RSSI ? For instance, RSSI is transmitted by satellites and the internal receiver radio, processed, and output through the DATA/BIND port on most telemetry-enabled Spektrum receivers. That data is then processed by hardware such as flyingfpv's "DORA" or Mikael Pedersen's "DataLog" RSSI adapter boards) to output an analog RSSI signal.

But my understanding is the raw RSSI is transmitted on the line, even for "dumb" Spektrum satellite receivers. When using a Spektrum Satellite on RXD/TXD on Naze32, there is no separate connection available to output the telemetry data so RSSI cannot be processed with an external board like can be done with a full receiver, but since RSSI is embedded in the stream, is it technically possible to extract that info (which may be difficult to figure out of course), then dump it out for OSD like occurs with other data sent via methods such as Mavlink ? Or is RSSI always required to be input from a separate input, under all circumstances ?

Again, I apologize if my question is mundane.

-=dave

pjman

Post by pjman »

Thanks for all the replies. I've played with the HK Multiwii Pro board a bit more and its nearly going satisfactorily. I still want to get the Naze for general flying though so I'll have to order some when it becomes available on the website again. Have checked all the suppliers and no one has any :(

If all else fails I'll try APM - not sure if I want to go the DJI stuff yet.

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

tungsten2k wrote:From the "Development Todo" page (https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/wiki/Development-Todo) there is this entry:

pwm RSSI input (eg from FrSky D4R in ppm mode) on RC pin 2 (or wherever) when feature PPM enabled

I'm new to the platform, so I apologize for my ignorance, but is a physical input always required for RSSI ? For instance, RSSI is transmitted by satellites and the internal receiver radio, processed, and output through the DATA/BIND port on most telemetry-enabled Spektrum receivers. That data is then processed by hardware such as flyingfpv's "DORA" or Mikael Pedersen's "DataLog" RSSI adapter boards) to output an analog RSSI signal.

But my understanding is the raw RSSI is transmitted on the line, even for "dumb" Spektrum satellite receivers. When using a Spektrum Satellite on RXD/TXD on Naze32, there is no separate connection available to output the telemetry data so RSSI cannot be processed with an external board like can be done with a full receiver, but since RSSI is embedded in the stream, is it technically possible to extract that info (which may be difficult to figure out of course), then dump it out for OSD like occurs with other data sent via methods such as Mavlink ? Or is RSSI always required to be input from a separate input, under all circumstances ?

Again, I apologize if my question is mundane.

-=dave

In some receivers RSSI is output through separate pins others as an extra channels in PPM. I believe the todo feature is about reading those RSSI signals on separate pins.

guaglione87

Post by guaglione87 »

I've been having a real problem calibrating my ESCs on the Naze32 mini.

Here is a little about my setup:

Mini tricopter with RCX 2400kv motors
10a simon k flashed rcx ESCs
DSMX orange rx with ppm out
NAze32 mini

I am using baseflight ofcourse. I have the ppm out soldered direct to the FC, one ESC (on the tail) has the power and ground direct soldered to the board. The other two ESCs just have signal soldered to naze mini.

Upon power up, the two front ESCs sound at the same time and the tail motor/ESC sounds apprx 2 seconds after. I have tried calibrating the ESCs both via setting the minthrottle and min command to 1820, adding battery power, then setting it back to my min (1003). I get the ESC calibratiton confirmation tone. However, in the motor tab on baseflight, I find that the tail motor / ESC still starts at a higher pwm value (80 points higher) The front two motors start at the same pwm value - no problem.

I have also tried calibrating by pulling up all the motors in that tab, adding power, then dropping the motor testing tabs via the master switch - confirmation, but still no luck having all the motors start at the same time.

I recently switched the rear ESC for a new one, and same deal - no change.

It will still fly. I have it tuned real nice with a loop time of 2500. The only problem is when diving in fast forward flight , above a certain throttle point (roughly 3/4 throttle) the tri will violently pitch backwards and stop in forward flight. I can manage to level it out after the violent pitch backwards (sometimes).

My thought it that this is happening maybe due to the fact that my tail motor is still not calibrated perfectly, when when it reaches a certain point, it kind of gives up, causing me to pitch backwards in fast forward flight.

Any thoughts on resolving this problem? I've got a ton of hours into tuning and trying to properly calibrate and im about at the giving up point.

BTW - this ALL occurs in manual flight - not horizon or angle - I prefer to fly in manual...

PS - min check is 30 above min command and min throttle and max check is 30 below max command and max throttle.

pjman

Post by pjman »

Spamming the site now waiting for stock.

timecop

Post by timecop »

guaglione87 wrote:I've been having a real problem calibrating my ESCs on the Naze32 mini.

Here is a little about my setup:

Mini tricopter with RCX 2400kv motors
10a simon k flashed rcx ESCs
DSMX orange rx with ppm out
NAze32 mini

I am using baseflight ofcourse. I have the ppm out soldered direct to the FC, one ESC (on the tail) has the power and ground direct soldered to the board. The other two ESCs just have signal soldered to naze mini.

Upon power up, the two front ESCs sound at the same time and the tail motor/ESC sounds apprx 2 seconds after. I have tried calibrating the ESCs both via setting the minthrottle and min command to 1820, adding battery power, then setting it back to my min (1003). I get the ESC calibratiton confirmation tone. However, in the motor tab on baseflight, I find that the tail motor / ESC still starts at a higher pwm value (80 points higher) The front two motors start at the same pwm value - no problem.

I have also tried calibrating by pulling up all the motors in that tab, adding power, then dropping the motor testing tabs via the master switch - confirmation, but still no luck having all the motors start at the same time.

I recently switched the rear ESC for a new one, and same deal - no change.

It will still fly. I have it tuned real nice with a loop time of 2500. The only problem is when diving in fast forward flight , above a certain throttle point (roughly 3/4 throttle) the tri will violently pitch backwards and stop in forward flight. I can manage to level it out after the violent pitch backwards (sometimes).

My thought it that this is happening maybe due to the fact that my tail motor is still not calibrated perfectly, when when it reaches a certain point, it kind of gives up, causing me to pitch backwards in fast forward flight.

Any thoughts on resolving this problem? I've got a ton of hours into tuning and trying to properly calibrate and im about at the giving up point.

BTW - this ALL occurs in manual flight - not horizon or angle - I prefer to fly in manual...

PS - min check is 30 above min command and min throttle and max check is 30 below max command and max throttle.

Hey, how hard is it to read the fucking manual?
Your midrc is not at 1500, which is why one of your motors is faster than the rest.
And you don't need to calibrate simonk Escs, well, the rctimer 10A garbage you got you do, but normal ones you don't.

JaZzMaN251

Post by JaZzMaN251 »

I'm having an issue with the Naze32 on my Spider Hexa.

See the video that demonstrates the issue:

Two issues:

1. In acro, when applying nothing but throttle, the hexa pitches forward.
2. In angle, when recovering out of a fast run, the hexa doesn't level correctly.

These are the settings I fly with (from a friend on mine that flies with the same setup, which hasn't any of the issues):

2ead2955a44b850980bbe1f5b966556a.jpg

I fly in Angle mode so that is my main issue.
I calibrated the accelerometers a couple of times, so the breakout isn't caused by bad calibration. When flying slow or hovering, the hexa is level just fine.
It's only after a fast run that it appears to be stuck in a bad angle, which doens't allow the hexa to level.

A couple of things that I've checked: CoG is correct and well balanced, subtrims are good (1500), all motors/ESC's are brand new and work as expected in baseflight motor tab.

Any help is appreciated!

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

JaZzMaN251 wrote:I'm having an issue with the Naze32 on my Spider Hexa.

See the video that demonstrates the issue:

Two issues:

1. In acro, when applying nothing but throttle, the hexa pitches forward.
2. In angle, when recovering out of a fast run, the hexa doesn't level correctly.

These are the settings I fly with (from a friend on mine that flies with the same setup, which hasn't any of the issues):

2ead2955a44b850980bbe1f5b966556a.jpg

I fly in Angle mode so that is my main issue.
I calibrated the accelerometers a couple of times, so the breakout isn't caused by bad calibration. When flying slow or hovering, the hexa is level just fine.
It's only after a fast run that it appears to be stuck in a bad angle, which doens't allow the hexa to level.

A couple of things that I've checked: CoG is correct and well balanced, subtrims are good (1500), all motors/ESC's are brand new and work as expected in baseflight motor tab.

Any help is appreciated!

How is your vibrations? I have experienced strange heavy gyro-drift when i tested some Cobra motors once. They vibrated a lot.

timecop

Post by timecop »

I dunno, but to me it doesn't look like you're actually enabling level mode in any of the clips in the video.
That, and your firmware is ancient. Why not update?

JaZzMaN251

Post by JaZzMaN251 »

timecop wrote:I dunno, but to me it doesn't look like you're actually enabling level mode in any of the clips in the video.
That, and your firmware is ancient. Why not update?

My firmware is the latest available, the screenshot is from a friends' settings.
He does uses another firmware version. I even tried to flash the firmware he uses, but I get the same result.

I know it doesn't look like I have angle mode enabled, but that's exactly the issue. It doesn't level out after a fast run.
I'm really sure it's in angle mode (blue and red led on the board), ANGLE mode in AUX tabs is set up the right way.

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

What's the operating input voltage and current of the Naze32?

I used to cut power from all but 1 ESC...However I'm considering no longer doing that as I believe most of the ESCs I ever considering using have linear BECs.

Thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

*currently* shipping stuff:
acro: 5.5V max
full: 16V max
afromini: 16V max
previosuly (<= 1 year ago) shipping stuff was all limited to 5.5V, then I updated full to a better reg.
If 2 5-pin chips on the board say something like "IL30x" then its 16V capable, if it says something like "DE=2" then its 5.5V max.

Board itself doesn't draw > 100mA
Last edited by timecop on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Great. Thanks

pjman

Post by pjman »

Is it ok to ask when stock might be available?

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Apologies- a bit off topic. Timecop, is there any marking on the Afro ESCs that denote which SimonK version has been flashed on it?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Nope. Though we just recently had them start flashing latest release.
For all I know, existing stock might be all flashed with whatever was given to them at beginning, maybe around may 2013 or so. Use linker to update, when in doubt :)

Schiksie

Post by Schiksie »

Anyone has seen this behaviour before ? I am trying to do a flip but half way in de flip the Quad makes a roll. It's in Horizon mode and i tried different settings but the problem remains.

I now replaced the RCX motors with the Cobra 2204/28 2300kv.

Sorry its not very good to see in the vid because its to far away. I personnaly think its one off the esc's that is causing this issue so i have some new ones incoming.

Setup :
Naze 32
Kim250 pro frame
Afro ESC 12Amp (SimonK Firmware)
In vid motors : RCX 1804 (2400KV >> now replaced by Cobra 2204/28 2300kv but same issue.

Tried different pids but don't think pids are causing this. I did calibrate the ESCs simultaneously using mincommand and they start at the same time on motor test.

Still i think it's the left rear esc that is bugging some how( gonna try some new ones when they arrive).

First part in the vid is the F330 with the Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Controller V2.0 and from 6 min the Kim250Pro frame with a Naze 32. The Naze 32 can't seem to flip/loop....it cuts half way in a kinda roll.

Slispter

Post by Slispter »

timecop wrote:*currently* shipping stuff:
acro: 5.5V max
full: 16V max
afromini: 16V max
previosuly (<= 1 year ago) shipping stuff was all limited to 5.5V, then I updated full to a better reg.
If 2 5-pin chips on the board say something like "IL30x" then its 16V capable, if it says something like "DE=2" then its 5.5V max.

Board itself doesn't draw > 100mA

I was recently shipped 2 full boards, a rev5 (white) and a rev6 (green pcb). The rev6 has the spek plug on it. The regs on the rev6 say something like "DE=C07" but I cant find any product sheets on them. Can you give the specs on these?

Cheers

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

What's the output current rating/supply for the buzzer connector pads?

Also, I assume the 5V pad can output whatever current the BECs are providing the board? So if I had 4 Afro ESCs (linear BEC with .5A) unaltered and plugged into the FC, there's a total of 2amps to consume, minus the Naze's 100mA and the receiver's likely 60-100mA? Am I completely off base here?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Slispter wrote:I was recently shipped 2 full boards, a rev5 (white) and a rev6 (green pcb). The rev6 has the spek plug on it. The regs on the rev6 say something like "DE=C07" but I cant find any product sheets on them. Can you give the specs on these?

Cheers

"DE=???" marking = RT9193 = 5.5V max.
IL|xx marking = SPX3819 = 16V max

Slispter

Post by Slispter »

timecop wrote:
Slispter wrote:I was recently shipped 2 full boards, a rev5 (white) and a rev6 (green pcb). The rev6 has the spek plug on it. The regs on the rev6 say something like "DE=C07" but I cant find any product sheets on them. Can you give the specs on these?

Cheers

"DE=???" marking = RT9193 = 5.5V max.
IL|xx marking = SPX3819 = 16V max

Thanks timecop.

So why would a new rev6 board (a FunFly Controller) come with only 5.5V regs? Did I get a prototype or something (I haven't read anything on the rev6 boards)? My ESC BECs are all 6V and was hoping not to run a separate reg.

timecop

Post by timecop »

1) Because I didn't swap the reels when assembling
2) Because only 5 people have these
3) Because normal users have 5V becs on their ESC.

EDIT: After checking with HK, current batch of Afro12A V3 Lite *is* shipping with 6V BEC - 78D06 instead of 78L05.
FAAAIL

Nurffe

Post by Nurffe »

timecop wrote:1) Because I didn't swap the reels when assembling
2) Because only 5 people have these
3) Because normal users have 5V becs on their ESC.

EDIT: After checking with HK, current batch of Afro12A V3 Lite *is* shipping with 6V BEC - 78D06 instead of 78L05.
FAAAIL

Just checked my afroesc 12A v3 lites which were ordered when they were released by hk and I'm measuring 6.1V. Nice.. So I guess I should not power board using escs bec >.<

japala

Post by japala »

I'ven been using rev5 board with afro lites v3 for a month or so now. I did notice that the BEC on them was 6 volts but everything seemed to work ok so I didn't give it a second though... so... should we add a diode or two to the esc's BEC output to bring the voltage down a bit? :)

And should we ask for a group refund as HK posted that 6v BEC information to the product page only after the orders were made? As TC said, it is reasonable to assume that the product have a 5V BEC if there is no other information telling otherwise...

timecop

Post by timecop »

I would add a diode - acro vregs are 5.5V max...

Nurffe

Post by Nurffe »

timecop wrote:I would add a diode - acro vregs are 5.5V max...

Added diode and got close to 5.5V. First flights today and everything was working as expected

You should add diode as option to webshop so people can order one if they have afro escs (or any other esc with 6V bec). It's pretty annoying to actually find one on Saturday and driver across city to get one single ****** diode :D

pjman

Post by pjman »

Any idea when Naze32's will be available to order again? Pretty keen to get one now after reading all the threads.

Thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

Some other places have them in stock. I'm keeping them out mostly due to 1) too lazy to pack shit

pjman

Post by pjman »

Cheers - I've been checking my local distributor but they said they had no idea. I'll get it from Canada instead as they do have stock.

Edit :( Canada doesn't ship to Australia - trying the Singapore distro

timecop

Post by timecop »

Check here: http://boltrc.com/

geekness

Post by geekness »

timecop wrote:Check here: http://boltrc.com/

They have some acros in stock. Not sure if they are shipping them yet. Ordered one on Thursday.

Every time I've ordered from them, service and shipping have been second to none. Great place to shop.

strepto

Post by strepto »

+1. He is an awesome, highly recommended Aussie seller. Glad you're dealing with him TC.

*looks*

...and he's not selling for a ridiculous markup either *coughmadetoflycough* - yay!

Pity he's only getting acros though. I want to get another full spec Naze for various reasons as well as a afro mini... any way I could order the two from abusemark? Happy to wait a week or two if things are busy (when aren't they eh?) but would just like to be in the queue.