timecop

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

What ancient firmware did you load?

Servicehans

Post by Servicehans »

Hi,

Baselfight config said Firmware 2.3 . Anyway, i reflashed the firmware using baseflight config and now it works. Thanks for your help. :mrgreen:

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, if something is "weird" first thing to do is load "online" firmware using configurator, and do 'defaults' in CLI before reporting any issues.

rank

Naze going wild when Gps attached.

Post by rank »

Hi, just encountered a problem on my tricopter withthe new rev5 naze, as soon as I connect the Ublox 6M gps to naze (I have 2 different ones, and the problem is the same), all the channels start going wild, jumping up and down chaotically. Gps is recognized and seems to work though. I have set:
feature ppm
feature gps
feature motor_stop
set gps_type = 1

My old naze board is doing just fine with the same gps mdules.
What could be causing this madness? I tried reflashing the board but it didn't help.
Thanks

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

Is it possible to make naze32 climb and return to launch ?

also the gps coordinates in baseflight coordinates are off by a decimal, is this what naze32 is seeing as well ? if so then it might try flying to center of the planet on failsafe RTL

rank

Post by rank »

Ok, narrowed down the problem to the physical conflict of the gps and ppm inputs. When either of them is unplugged everything gets normal. Here's a vide of how the channels are jumping. Please somebody help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaZBYiNy ... e=youtu.be

timecop

Post by timecop »

CoolD wrote:Is it possible to make naze32 climb and return to launch ?

also the gps coordinates in baseflight coordinates are off by a decimal, is this what naze32 is seeing as well ? if so then it might try flying to center of the planet on failsafe RTL

I think you're posting this in the wrong forum, you probably meant dji.com/forums

timecop

Post by timecop »

rank wrote:Ok, narrowed down the problem to the physical conflict of the gps and ppm inputs. When either of them is unplugged everything gets normal. Here's a vide of how the channels are jumping. Please somebody help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaZBYiNy ... e=youtu.be

either your GPS or your receiver is shit, or you hooked it up wrong.

rank

Post by rank »

as I said, same config works fine with my older naze. I have 2 ublox units and both recreate the problem on the newer board. Hooking is correct, gps is recognized and everything

timecop

Post by timecop »

Since there has been no hardware changes that would do what you're showing, I'm going to go with the previous suggestion of user error.

rank

Post by rank »

Timecop, I understand this is the easiest suggestion for you. But.. I just again connected my old boar wire by wire, exactly the same way, and gps is solid, nothing is jumping.
Seems to be a hardware problem, if you ask me, I just thought you may suggest to try something.
How about hooking the gps to the other pins, to try? What do I need to do for that?!

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

How are you wiring up the GPS? Some ublox have a Vcc and 3v... Also may want to double check the config on the ublox with u-center.

rank

Post by rank »

Certainly not a problem with the Ublox. Now i put the older board on my tri, and it works fine. + and - are from the spare motor out pins, rx and tx connected as per manual. If I disconnect the receiver from the problematic board, the gps starts working normally. Obviously, some hardware problem on my new naze board. I just examined it closely, the board looks clean, soldering job is perfect.
How do I assign the gps connection to the other pins, I'd like to try that?!

timecop

Post by timecop »

What 'other fucking pins'?
There has been no pinout changes between any revision since r0 of years ago.
If you're running latest firmware on both boards then the issue is elsewhere.

I'd check for bridges on 2 8pin components near the RC inputs - but then again, neither of those are close to RC3/4, so if you're using PPM, even if it was shorted you wouldn't be getting the behavior you're seeing.

GPS is not supported, so you're 100% on your own.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

timecop wrote:
CoolD wrote:Is it possible to make naze32 climb and return to launch ?

I think you're posting this in the wrong forum, you probably meant dji.com/forums

lol, no timecop I want RTL with climb for one simple reason i.e. FPV.
if for some reason a person walks in front of my transmitter or some odd reason I happen to lose my radio signal I want the copter to climb a bit so that it might regain the signal and I can start flying again. or it can start coming back towards me after climbing and I can regain control and fly again.

another unfortunate thing that happened recently to me was someone else came to the field and started their plane with the video transmission in the same frequency as me. i had no choice but to just drop my throttle to 40% and land blind ( thankfully wasn't over a lake)
if only I had RTL I could have saved my copter from a crash.

I fly mostly proximity FPV and funfly naze32 is the best controller out there for this purpose.

ok after typing all this, just saw your post
timecop wrote:GPS is not supported, so you're 100% on your own.

I guess that's a fair warning.

rank

Post by rank »

timecop wrote:What 'other fucking pins'?

I'd check for bridges on 2 8pin components near the RC inputs - but then again, neither of those are close to RC3/4, so if you're using PPM, even if it was shorted you wouldn't be getting the behavior you're seeing.

Goy ya mate, my fifth naze board and my last one. Good luck with your attitude.

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

Yep... we're on our own for GPS help. With that said, RTH (no climb) and PH work to some degree, many reports that folks have it working. At the very least, it can help you regain line of sight flight.

Use "feature GPS" in the CLI to show the available switch settings in the Aux tab of Baseflight Configurator. I'm using a ublox connected to Ch3&4 with PPM and telemetry. While I haven't experimented extensively with RTH and PH, the GPS coordinates are passed to the Taranis and logged as Decimal Degrees.

harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

rank wrote:
timecop wrote:What 'other fucking pins'?

Goy ya mate, my fifth naze board and my last one. Good luck with your attitude.

I agree Timecop needs an attitude check. These are your customers Timecop if you don't want their business any more say so. But I'm sure your attitude has driven many off and will continue to in the future. Unbelievable.

timecop

Post by timecop »

rank wrote:[Goy ya mate, my fifth naze board and my last one. Good luck with your attitude.

By all means, Phantom Vision V2+ is waiting for you.

timecop

Post by timecop »

harpo1 wrote:I agree timecop needs an attitude check. These are your customers Timecop if you don't want their business any more say so. But I'm sure your attitude has driven many off and will continue to in the future. Unbelievable.

I help people who are willing to be helped. This guy has a history of trying to troll me, so I'm not very inclined to help him at all.

Hmerly

Post by Hmerly »

Timecop or anyone,
I am having intermittent issues with my full Naze32. It is being powered by a seperate BEC. I feed the Naze32 5v from the bec to the motor pins and the board powers up fine. However, I'd say half the time when I power up my quad, the board doesn't seem to .... initialize?? Not sure of the word to use. What happens is I plug the battery in and the motors beep, but the Naze32 board only shows the blue led. The other two leds don't light up at all. My quad sits there and does not sense any input from my radio and the motors beep at a steady interval. When the board works it stays working until I power it down.

I am able still to use the gui to change settings, etc. Also, when I plug in the usb the board always powers up correctly with all 3 leds lighting up.

strepto

Post by strepto »

KC_703 wrote:Yep... we're on our own for GPS help. With that said, RTH (no climb) and PH work to some degree, many reports that folks have it working. At the very least, it can help you regain line of sight flight.

Use "feature GPS" in the CLI to show the available switch settings in the Aux tab of Baseflight Configurator. I'm using a ublox connected to Ch3&4 with PPM and telemetry. While I haven't experimented extensively with RTH and PH, the GPS coordinates are passed to the Taranis and logged as Decimal Degrees.

Yep - we're definitely on our own :)

I have used GPS for FPV failsafe both successfully (as a test) and spectacularly unsuccessfully (as a test and also as a not-a-test) :).

PH and RTH do work, after a fashion, if you're in stabilised mode. In acro, for me, RTH rapidly became RTG (ground) ;) I'm not even sure what the throttle/altitude does in RTH mode - I haven't tested it enough. I suspect it is decoupled from the GPS naviating stuff though, so bear that in mind.

I agree that a basic PH or RTH would be very beneficial as an FPV safety net. GPS isn't just useful to let DJI n00bs hover around - it is a real way of safeguarding a whole bunch of expensive gear against loss or damage while doing "real" flying. But TC has made his position clear from the start so we have to respect that (his general attitude is another matter of course but I've always been polite to him and have found him helpful in return). And, unlike certain other "open" projects, the source is truly open and everyone is welcome to work on GPS code if they have the skill and time.

Anyway getting back to the GPS thing. Yes you can use it, no it is not user-friendly, and you also can't use it in conjunction with serial receivers (eg spectrum, sbus). You can use it with PWM or PPM input, and the latest builds do an ok job of holding position using the default pids. You wouldn't use it to lock your position for AP work but for the example of someone else blasting your video signal it would be handy to just let you "hold" up in the sky until your screams for them to switch off are actioned.

And if you bind it to a failsafe, make sure you also bind your flight modes appropriately too. Think of it this way: GPS should never be relied on, on any platform - it is a safety net that might or might not catch you.

rank

Post by rank »

timecop wrote:
rank wrote:[Goy ya mate, my fifth naze board and my last one. Good luck with your attitude.

By all means, Phantom Vision V2+ is waiting for you.

Thanks for the joke man, never gets old.

timecop wrote:I help people who are willing to be helped. This guy has a history of trying to troll me, so I'm not very inclined to help him at all.

Interesting, I had a few severe issues with my naze board and every time I tried to get help here, the answer is always amongst the lines: "it's a user error". Mate, honestly, if you felt I was trying to troll you, ever, have a reality check.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Having designed the hardware and written 95% of the firmware (of the "new" code, not stuff transplanted from multwii), I think I'm qualified to determine what's user error and what's not.

strepto

Post by strepto »

strepto wrote:I have used GPS for FPV failsafe both successfully (as a test) and spectacularly unsuccessfully (as a test and also as a not-a-test) :).

And here we go, I'll share my fail :)

http://youtu.be/waklINsuPOg

Since re-binding to be in atti/baro mode, it actually more or less works.

@rank - I would double check your FW versions and all cli variables; maybe reflash and reset to defaults on the new board. Inputs jumping around looks a bit like a wrongly enabled serialrx feature for example?

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

timecop, will there be a rev6 of this board soon ?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Not with any useful changes, no

rank

Post by rank »

timecop wrote:Having designed the hardware and written 95% of the firmware (of the "new" code, not stuff transplanted from multwii), I think I'm qualified to determine what's user error and what's not.

Anyways, problem solved by using the power up sequence, first battery then usb.

scrat

Post by scrat »

rank wrote:
timecop wrote:Having designed the hardware and written 95% of the firmware (of the "new" code, not stuff transplanted from multwii), I think I'm qualified to determine what's user error and what's not.

Anyways, problem solved by using the power up sequence, first battery then usb.

Great you've found a problem and solved it.

ccsj

Post by ccsj »

Can batt pin (for telemetry read back) take 4S batt or do I need a divider?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Up to 8S (code supports up to 6S)

ccsj

Post by ccsj »

I think I killed another naze. No led at all when connecting with USB or flight batt. I am using a 5v bec. The output of 5v goes to naze and rx, mwosd all got power from pins from Naze board. This was the SS 5v/3a ubec I used before.

Batch1

Post by Batch1 »

strepto wrote:
KC_703 wrote:Yep... we're on our own for GPS help. With that said, RTH (no climb) and PH work to some degree, many reports that folks have it working. At the very least, it can help you regain line of sight flight.

Yep - we're definitely on our own :)

I have used GPS for FPV failsafe both successfully (as a test) and spectacularly unsuccessfully (as a test and also as a not-a-test) :).

PH and RTH do work, after a fashion, if you're in stabilised mode. In acro, for me, RTH rapidly became RTG (ground) ;) I'm not even sure what the throttle/altitude does in RTH mode - I haven't tested it enough. I suspect it is decoupled from the GPS naviating stuff though, so bear that in mind.

I agree that a basic PH or RTH would be very beneficial as an FPV safety net. GPS isn't just useful to let DJI n00bs hover around - it is a real way of safeguarding a whole bunch of expensive gear against loss or damage while doing "real" flying. But TC has made his position clear from the start so we have to respect that (his general attitude is another matter of course but I've always been polite to him and have found him helpful in return). And, unlike certain other "open" projects, the source is truly open and everyone is welcome to work on GPS code if they have the skill and time.

Anyway getting back to the GPS thing. Yes you can use it, no it is not user-friendly, and you also can't use it in conjunction with serial receivers (eg spectrum, sbus). You can use it with PWM or PPM input, and the latest builds do an ok job of holding position using the default pids. You wouldn't use it to lock your position for AP work but for the example of someone else blasting your video signal it would be handy to just let you "hold" up in the sky until your screams for them to switch off are actioned.

And if you bind it to a failsafe, make sure you also bind your flight modes appropriately too. Think of it this way: GPS should never be relied on, on any platform - it is a safety net that might or might not catch you.

Since we cannot link failsafe to RTH and RTH is not reliable why buy FunFly Controller "Naze 32"

Robert

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

Baro and Mag... and hope. :)

The GPS can reliably send coordinates back via telemetry and provide to OSD. Both of which can serve as a locator tool.

Alt-hold is reported to work and altitude can be sent back via telemetry. Have not tired Headfree.

theailer

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by theailer »

ccsj wrote:I think I killed another naze. No led at all when connecting with USB or flight batt. I am using a 5v bec. The output of 5v goes to naze and rx, mwosd all got power from pins from Naze board. This was the SS 5v/3a ubec I used before.

Care to whip up a diagram of your wiring? I have the same problem as you.

Batch1

Post by Batch1 »

KC_703 wrote:Baro and Mag... and hope. :)

The GPS can reliably send coordinates back via telemetry and provide to OSD. Both of which can serve as a locator tool.

Alt-hold is reported to work and altitude can be sent back via telemetry. Have not tired Headfree.

I didn't tought to the OSD

Thanks

Robert

Geebles

Post by Geebles »

teslahed wrote:
vvk wrote:elmtree I had the same problem with the twitching outputs, checked the naze32 with a scope and found out that there's no jitter on the ppm input, but the motor outputs are jerking when the rx (hawkeye in my case) is close to the naze32. It seems the naze is getting swamped by RF interference from the RX - initially I thought it was the opposite.

Try disabling the telemetry in the openlrsng config, it worked for me.

Just to confirm - i have been having the exact same issues with my openLRSng receiver / transmitter modules and my naze32 quadcopter. I was seeing random jitter on all the inputs that made the thing almost totally unflyable. I had to grab the quadcopter out of the air at one point.

Disabling telemetry on the receiver has made the issue go away. It must be to do with harmonics as scrat mentioned;

scrat wrote:[]Unfortunately jitter is comming from naze32 board because cpu runs at 72mhz and this is in harmonyc with 433mhz. There is one thread at fpvlab about this.

I might be a bit late to this parade, but I have come across this same issue! I've done some debug and have drawn the following conclusions:
(my config is wired such that ESC -> Naze -> PPM + GND + VCC to LRS (all signal, gnd, vcc come from the edge connector)... ESC has a 1A 5V regulator, and i have telemetry enabled)
- Changing frequency to 459MHz - jitter
- Using a 1/4 wave Whip antenna - jitter
- Using a 1/4 wave Dipole antenna - Reduced jitter, but i have no space for such a massive antenna
- Removing VCC from LRS and powered from another ESC - jitter
- Leaving signal wire as is, using VCC from a seperate ESC, and moving GND to the battery balance connector ground - NO JITTER!! :D getting somewhere now
- Putting everything back to normal (all leads from Naze) and putting a BIG capacitor on the LRS pins - NO JITTER!!

Looking at the parts i have, there is no major filter capacitor on the LRS, nor the naze (and why should it?), and the ESC only has a tiny cap on the PCB (its a 10A esc so tiny) so i think something like the current draw of the LRS is pulsing the power line at 433mhz or whatever and causing it to directly affect the processor. Putting a nice big cap on the LRS seems to have fixed all this :) even putting the antenna right on top of the CPU is working jitter free! Really showing the importance of filter caps close to the source of current draw!! ;)

So to fix:
- Use a completely separate power source and use a ground not attached to the Naze
- Put a great big cap on the LRS (bigger the better!) - i went overkill and put one before the diode, after the diode, and on the 3.3v line of the LRS!

Hope that helps some of you guys!

Dilbert66

Post by Dilbert66 »

Which rev board are you guys running? Did you try the cli setting emf_avoidance which overlocks the naze32 to 84 mhz (assuming a 12mhz xtal for the rev5) set up for this reason . Older revs overclock to 80mhz I believe with an 8mhz xtal.

Geebles

Post by Geebles »

Dilbert66 wrote:Which rev board are you guys running? Did you try the cli setting emf_avoidance which overlocks the naze32 to 84 mhz (assuming a 12mhz xtal for the rev5) set up for this reason . Older revs overclock to 80mhz I believe with an 8mhz xtal.

Good shout didn't see that, i'll try that too! I think that the majority of my problem was unclean power lines through lack of caps, but i'll do that anyway just to be sure :)

strepto

Post by strepto »

Batch1 wrote:Since we cannot link failsafe to RTH and RTH is not reliable why buy FunFly Controller "Naze 32"Robert

Because they are a) really cheap and b) fly really, REALLY nicely.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Batch1 wrote:Since we cannot link failsafe to RTH and RTH is not reliable why buy FunFly Controller "Naze 32"
Robert

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.
Infact, if GPS is what you want, look no further than DJI Phantom Vision V2+, and stay the fuck away from opensource projects.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

I tested GPS thoroughly today- it is working fine, with very little tuning (and it was quite windy as well). I have assigned my Dragonlink failsafe to the RTH function, and all is working as expected.

I fly exclusively in Acro mode, but since I do distance FVP, I really want a failsafe RTH for the scenario that we hope never happens. In my testing today- I did three full batteries testing different combinations of Position Hold & RTH while in fast forward flight, RTH both up and downwind of the home location, etc. I am quite confident that the GPS functions are working well- I could never get it to screw up. Position Hold does wander a bit in windy conditions, but I can't complain.

My equipment consists of a 6S Cinetank, full Naze32, a Witespy house GPS, minimOSD, gps_type set to 1, and a good mag calibration. I run emf_avoidance=1, reasonable PIDs, fairly aggressive cyclic throws, and a moderately high yaw rate.

So timecop- trust that your code has not broken GPS functions. They aren't perfect, but they get the job done if the quad should ever get into trouble. Aside from that, I never use assisted modes, but it's nice to know they work if my Dragonlink should fail me.

...and yes- the Naze32 flies REALLY REALLY nice once you get it dialed in. I'll never ever fly any of the other controllers that are now cluttering my bench.

Fireb1adex

Spektrum and gps, alternative pins?

Post by Fireb1adex »

Phew, so great board, received my rev5 last week, built a mini h around it, added buzzer, spektrum satellite, Bluetooth module and it flies great.

I'd like to mess with gps next but the spektrum is using the pins, so what are my choices? I understand soft serial might be the answer on pins 5/6 and 7/8 as Rx/tx (3.3 or 5v, it's not clear what level they're expecting) but couldn't seem to get working, can anyone point me to a resource that might help?

As a test I have sucessfully hooked up GPS on pins 3/4 and it worked a treat, perhaps I just need to move serialrx to different pins instead?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Can't with current firmware.
There's some work to put low(er) speed GPS on softserial but its not optimal. Dump spectrum for PPM rx.
There are some DSM(x) receivers that output PPM, notably the lemon/orangerx stuff.

Dilbert66

Post by Dilbert66 »

What's the main issue you are finding with GPS on soft serial? Is the 19200 speed not adequate to keep up?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Coding style mostly, and lots of user-unfriendly configuration in CLI

Batch1

Post by Batch1 »

timecop wrote:
Batch1 wrote:Since we cannot link failsafe to RTH and RTH is not reliable why buy FunFly Controller "Naze 32"
Robert

Infact, if GPS is what you want, look no further than DJI Phantom Vision V2+, and stay the fuck away from opensource projects.

Timecop I didn't say I want to buy it

I asked why people buy it since it is not very usefull and I have smart answer from people, except you !

Your are a conceited person

Robert

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

timecop wrote:
Robert

Nah, he could contribute and add the GPS support he needs - open source allows you to add whatever features you like instead of being locked in to what a particular vendor wants to sell you.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Wait, why the fuck do YOU care why people buy it?
People buy Macbook Air, and its "not very usefull" [sic] does it mean you have to ask them for their reasoning?

Fireb1adex

Post by Fireb1adex »

timecop wrote:Can't with current firmware.
There's some work to put low(er) speed GPS on softserial but its not optimal. Dump spectrum for PPM rx.
There are some DSM(x) receivers that output PPM, notably the lemon/orangerx stuff.

Ok makes sense, I had it lose connection when fpv'ing so not a bad shout...I was on 5.8 vid so would expect that to crap out first but hey ho.