Naze32 hardware discussion thread

creyc

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by creyc »

[edit] Seems like disq beat me to the post. Oh well, leaving it.[/edit]

Easiest way of updating is just use the firmware flasher in Baseflight Configurator. Clicking 'Load Firmware [Online]' will pull the latest hex from git. It will tell you the date and time and description of last update.

If you want to grab the baseflight.hex file yourself, you can download it from the obj directory: https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/tree/master/obj

The date on that file will tell you when it was last updated. I'm not sure at what interval the devs update the compiled .hex but it's always been quite recent every time I've checked. I suppose if there are newer changes you want to try you should just build and compile it from source.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Got it now , thanks guys :)
Also if i use the baseflight chrome app to do the flash of firmware for me , Will I loose my current features that are on or off or PID's or min thottle if different from default etc etc

creyc

Post by creyc »

Yes, back them up first.

strips

Post by strips »

I was too late. Duplicate post.

deleted

Post by deleted »

I have just setup a rev5 Naze32 acro board on a 250mm quad and wanted to get some help smoothing out the yaw around the center stick. I have the yaw rate set at 0.8 and basically the problem I am having is that the yaw is sluggish around the center of the stick and at the ends it spins really fast (which is the rate I like it). Its like it has a lot of negative expo on the yaw axis. I have add to add a lot of positive expo in to smooth out the movement around the center but was wondering if there was an equivalent "yaw expo" function available from the software?

PIDs are
Roll - P=4.1 I=0.036 D= 34
Pitch - P=4.5 I=0.045 D= 34
Yaw - P=8.5 I=0.045 D=0

R/P rate = 0.4
Yaw rate = 0.8
TPA = 0.45

RC rate = 0.9
RC Expo = 0.00

I am running the latest firmware on the board and using the Baseflight Configurator GUI.

Thanks in advance.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Can one limit the angle modes max angle? To help with flying with a gimbal etc

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yeah, its in ~recent-ish firmware, set max_angle_inclination.
I should probably edit the wiki with that info... :)

EDIT: I updated some of the wiki
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... -Variables
Last edited by timecop on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

awesome! thanks :)

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

deleted wrote:I have just setup a rev5 Naze32 acro board on a 250mm quad and wanted to get some help smoothing out the yaw around the center stick. I have the yaw rate set at 0.8 and basically the problem I am having is that the yaw is sluggish around the center of the stick and at the ends it spins really fast (which is the rate I like it). Its like it has a lot of negative expo on the yaw axis. I have add to add a lot of positive expo in to smooth out the movement around the center but was wondering if there was an equivalent "yaw expo" function available from the software?

PIDs are
Roll - P=4.1 I=0.036 D= 34
Pitch - P=4.5 I=0.045 D= 34
Yaw - P=8.5 I=0.045 D=0

R/P rate = 0.4
Yaw rate = 0.8
TPA = 0.45

RC rate = 0.9
RC Expo = 0.00

I am running the latest firmware on the board and using the Baseflight Configurator GUI.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried tuning on your Tx? Sound like you may have a rudder expo... Why not decrease yaw rates?

deleted

Post by deleted »

KC_703 wrote:Have you tried tuning on your Tx? Sound like you may have a rudder expo... Why not decrease yaw rates?

I have positive expo dialled in on the yaw via the TX as I mentioned and its fine but was wondering if it could be done via the software on the FC itself. I always prefer doing as much on the FC as I can and the rest via the TX.

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

No specific yaw expo on the FC that I know of... Probably best to configure on Tx as you've done.

chanyote66

Post by chanyote66 »

Hello everyone!

I have a early version of the afromini32 and was wondering if there is a way to remap the naze32 outputs?

my version does not have m2 pinned out so I cant use it on my quad right now. basically, if i could find where to connect for m2 or how to remap the motors it would be awesome! I really dont want this little board to go to waste.

really just need M2 to be transmitted onto m5 so i can get the signal :D

Chris

timecop

Post by timecop »

chanyote66 wrote:Hello everyone!

I have a early version of the afromini32 and was wondering if there is a way to remap the naze32 outputs?

my version does not have m2 pinned out so I cant use it on my quad right now. basically, if i could find where to connect for m2 or how to remap the motors it would be awesome! I really dont want this little board to go to waste.

really just need M2 to be transmitted onto m5 so i can get the signal :D

Chris

You can use it on a quad, many people have.
Just enable feature SERVO_TILT to enable dummy camstab, and then S1..S4 are motor outputs M1..M4.
Thats how it was always intended to be used, anyway.

chanyote66

Post by chanyote66 »

awesome! thanks! lol iv been messing around with c-mix trying to make my own strange 5 motor mix :p

chanyote66

Post by chanyote66 »

dang... only if I asked here earlier...

Made the mistake of throwing a hobbyking i86 board on my quad... armed it, flew around, landed, disarmed it... went to pull battery and it full throttled into my arm :( HD props cut as deep as graupners...

Glad my naze is running! these are so much better :D

scrat

Post by scrat »

chanyote66 wrote:dang... only if I asked here earlier...

Made the mistake of throwing a hobbyking i86 board on my quad... armed it, flew around, landed, disarmed it... went to pull battery and it full throttled into my arm :( HD props cut as deep as graupners...

Glad my naze is running! these are so much better :D

Not good :(

timecop

Post by timecop »

chanyote66 wrote:Made the mistake of throwing a hobbyking i86 board on my quad... armed it, flew around, landed, disarmed it... went to pull battery and it full throttled into my arm :( HD props cut as deep as graupners...

I remember this being an issue on those i86 boards and simonk.
They would sent full throttle pulse under some condition, I don't remember what it was, I have some email threads about that stuff from years back. Fun times.

chanyote66

Post by chanyote66 »

ya, I just found a thread about that... Mine triggered when my disarm mode was apparently 50ms short of full throw to disable. The board went into a limbo mode showing it was disarmed, then realized it wasnt fully disarmed and reinitialized...

oh well... afromini32 is up and running! Thanks TC, this stuff is amazing! now we just need a afromini32 that can work with the GPS and/or OSD :p

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

New manual up on the afromini product page. It was mentioned somewhere that the Tx/Rx pads support GPS...

Hope that helps.

Rob2160

Post by Rob2160 »

timecop wrote:gyro is used for compass-less headfree mode.

Curious how that works for the acro model without compass? .

How does it know which way to fly when you pull the stick back?

IE, without compass or GPS how does it know which way it is facing? where it is relative to the controller? and which way to fly for a given stick input?

What would happen if the quad was facing you on the ground when you arm and take off? How will heads free respond in that situation?

New to these boards and curious about these features.

nspierbundel

Post by nspierbundel »

I have some issues on flashing the device.
I use hercules to setup the bootloader, all three leds are on, close hercules, start flash loader demonstrator and it gives me an unrecognised device.
I used the bootloader pads, got a solid blue led and the same error.

the unit is a naze32 rev5 full version.
I disconnected the gps and unset the gps feature.
I removed the bluetooth module

the board is working in baseflight configurator and I can access the cli from putty.

any Ideas ?

treym

Post by treym »

you cant flash with baseflight configurator ?

nspierbundel

Post by nspierbundel »

12:36:59 -- Running - OS: Windows, Chrome: 34.0.1847.116, Configurator: 0.30
12:37:03 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 1
12:37:03 -- Unique device ID received - 0x674ff515750725087064519
12:37:03 -- Firmware Version: 2.3
12:37:07 -- Serial port successfully closed
12:37:17 -- Failed to open serial port
three leds are on

log from baseflight configurator
I connected to check port, disconnected, loaded baseflight.hex, clicked flash firmware

doesn`t work

edit:
just had an update of baseflight config to 0.31, first flash failed, second click worked

Daniel

guaglione87

Post by guaglione87 »

Can anyone explain the difference between vario and baro mode? Im a couple days away from finishing my scratchbuild hex, and setting flight modes at the moment....

timecop

Post by timecop »

guaglione87 wrote:Can anyone explain the difference between vario and baro mode? Im a couple days away from finishing my scratchbuild hex, and setting flight modes at the moment....

that's easy
vario doesn't do anything :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

Rob2160 wrote:

IE, without compass or GPS how does it know which way it is facing? where it is relative to the controller? and which way to fly for a given stick input?

What would happen if the quad was facing you on the ground when you arm and take off? How will heads free respond in that situation?

To (carefully) use headfree in gyro-only mode, you need to assign headadj and headfree on separate switches.
when quad is oriented "known" way (tail in, facing you), toggle headadj on/off to lock current heading, then enable headfree.
then you can fly it for a few minutes while it keeps heading by gyro only.
There's a problem in that code that after about 10-15 minutes the heading vector used becomes too short (as it doesn't get re-normalized like it should), and turning on headfree will just start wobbling the quad around. I should probably fix it, but.. shrug.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Hey guys is there any known Rev5 board cases available anywhere? or would it be hard to dremmel a rev4 case? not caring about looks i just want to mount it level and my quad doesnt have any mounting holes for FC and i dont really want to drill

timecop

Post by timecop »

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Thanks but with the double sided tape does it mount levelish? is there enough flat area on the bottom of the rev5 boards to stick to or do you just cover the entire board with double side tape?
Ive got the rev5 coming from you ems , but dont have it right now to look at it .

timecop

Post by timecop »

I use double side tape and it works fine
doesnt have to be 100% level.
if you mount pins, there's gonna be some bumps otherwise, its flat.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Thanks TC,

Does anyone know if you can now use a spektrum satellite rx and gps at the same time with the recent firmware updates by hydra?

Henny

Post by Henny »

Hey new to the forums & the Naze32. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on my GPS situation. I bought a Ublox neo 6m GPS specifically the house one from witespyquad. I got it hooked up to my naze32 with 5v pwr from the receiver pins, the RX from the gps going to pin 3 (tx), & TX from the gps going to pin 4(RX) on the naze32. I have enable GPS in cli & changed the gps type to 1. In baseflight the gps is lighting up green in the top right & under the gps tab i can see that I have a lock on 9-11 satillites when im outside. When ever I hit the switch i have set up for PH on my controller, it never holds. Just ends up drifting with the wind. I have also tried changing the gps baudrate in cli with still no luck.

Thanks in advance.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

I've got the same symptoms. Make sure you have Mag enabled, Baro enabled, and I've heard Horizon enabled. But I'm with you, it ain't working at all. I've confirmed via my OSD that the Naze has good GPS tracking (9-14 sats, position, speed, etc), and confirmed that the Naze is switching into HOLD mode- but alas nothing seems to happen. I've calibrated my Mag several times, thinking that was it- but doesn't make a bit of difference. I have no clue how others have gotten this to work on Baseflight.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

BEWARE!! The latest firmware from GitHub scrambled some of my Aux switch connections? It seems 'Beeper' was inserted between GPS Hold and OSD Switch. Now my assignments for GPS Hold and GPS Home activate Beeper and OSD Switch, and my original OSD Switch function was lost. CHECK YOUR Aux assignments if you load this firmware!

Now the question is- is the code now all screwed up?

timecop

Post by timecop »

You should always reset to defaults after upgrade. No changes were made to aux switches in firmware for a LONG time tho.

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

Make sure to turn on the GPS feature in the CLI before restoring an old config. If the load the backup without GPS, the aux switches will be screwed up.

scrat

Post by scrat »

QAV400 wrote:Hey guys is there any known Rev5 board cases available anywhere? or would it be hard to dremmel a rev4 case? not caring about looks i just want to mount it level and my quad doesnt have any mounting holes for FC and i dont really want to drill

Hi. My friend is making cases for naze32 with 3d printer.

http://forum.modelarji.com/viewtopic.ph ... 25#p512474

PM me if you need a case.

scrat

Post by scrat »

HFMan wrote:BEWARE!! The latest firmware from GitHub scrambled some of my Aux switch connections? It seems 'Beeper' was inserted between GPS Hold and OSD Switch. Now my assignments for GPS Hold and GPS Home activate Beeper and OSD Switch, and my original OSD Switch function was lost. CHECK YOUR Aux assignments if you load this firmware!

I've flashed my board with the latest hex from github - no problems - and every time like TC said...I make sure that I reset to defaults.

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

scrat wrote:
HFMan wrote:BEWARE!! The latest firmware from GitHub scrambled some of my Aux switch connections? It seems 'Beeper' was inserted between GPS Hold and OSD Switch. Now my assignments for GPS Hold and GPS Home activate Beeper and OSD Switch, and my original OSD Switch function was lost. CHECK YOUR Aux assignments if you load this firmware!

I've flashed my board with the latest hex from github - no problems - and every time like TC said...I make sure that I reset to defaults.

I also experienced this once. I believe it was when I upgraded from Baseflight from 2013 something to latest in Baseflight Configurator. Some new aux settings showed up and all settings got skewed downwords (for lack of a better word) So clearing settings to default should be routine as timecop is saying.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

Just some light entertainment;

http://youtu.be/1j6OC2ccbrU

And my PIDs;

and a pic;

and one more nice flight in good conditions with the same PIDs;

http://youtu.be/Cxsfv6lYU_E

MidwestRob

Post by MidwestRob »

My Naze32 Acro board is showing some drift on the yaw axis while in the Baseflight Configurator. I've calibrated the sensors several times without any change. Is there a way to change settings to compensate for the drift. The yaw drift is about 1-2 deg/sec. Any help would be appreciated.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, its working as expected.

MidwestRob

Post by MidwestRob »

timecop wrote:Yes, its working as expected.

Thanks. I just did a test flight and it's flying rock solid.

timecop

Post by timecop »

If you recal gyro right before take off, the drift will be minimal, as if you plug it on your desk and let it warm up, it wil be more (since you have no way to recal gyro from GUI or CLI).
So calibrate before flight takes care of temperature offset which is what causes slowly moving yaw.

theailer

Post by theailer »

Sweet. Thanks for the info

Rob2160

Post by Rob2160 »

timecop wrote:
Rob2160 wrote:

To (carefully) use headfree in gyro-only mode, you need to assign headadj and headfree on separate switches.
when quad is oriented "known" way (tail in, facing you), toggle headadj on/off to lock current heading, then enable headfree.
then you can fly it for a few minutes while it keeps heading by gyro only.
There's a problem in that code that after about 10-15 minutes the heading vector used becomes too short (as it doesn't get re-normalized like it should), and turning on headfree will just start wobbling the quad around. I should probably fix it, but.. shrug.

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.

Got to fly a Naze Acro for the first time today in an Armattan quad. Very impressive.

Two flights with that quad made my 350QX feel lame.

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

MidwestRob wrote:My Naze32 Acro board is showing some drift on the yaw axis ... The yaw drift is about 1-2 deg/sec.

I get the same 1deg / sec with stock firmware. You can improve that significantly by using the full mpu6050 sensor resolution for calibration / attitude estimation. Actual firmware is factor 4 short on precision.

BUT the most important thing is to keep the FC fixed during power on, or during stick calibration.
This is somehow difficult since the power-up calibration comes very fast after plugging in the power. Means the initial calibration is probably OFF. I think the firmware should wait 10 seconds after power-up to do the initial calibration. I have not tested the so-called moron_threshold, but the limit of dev = 32 seems way to big to me.

Concluding, stock yaw hold isnt very great actually. Usable only for short flights (5 min) and only with a very good gyro calibration.
For longer flights the math behind this becomes much more complicated. If you are good at vector calculations, linear algebra and such stuff, there is a job for you. Keep the EstN vector in the Normal plane to EstG (EstN dot EstG = 0).

FedorCommander

Post by FedorCommander »

Hi Guys!

Sorry for noob question. How can i change motor direction in CLI for QuadX mixer???

I have frame, which has opposite rotations, and all wires are soldered, shrinked, shortened, so no joy to rewire.

Thanks!

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

You need to switch 2 cables!

nspierbundel

Post by nspierbundel »

Some controllers have software to switch rotation.
If not resolder 2 wires per motor