Naze32 hardware discussion thread

elmtree

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by elmtree »

Hi. My original Naze has definitely been beat down. The receiver's ground and voltage lines are gone, but I got them reconnected. When the Naze is powered the STM gets hot, but the lights still function. When the receiver is connected and I try to arm the green light goes on and when I disarm it goes off. When I try to plug it in to edit settings it gets hot as well and won't connect. Is the STM fried? Why do the arming lights still work? It's a PPM receiver so if the STM was fried I'd assume that the lights wouldn't be able to get the arming signal and do the light correctly. Anyone have some insight?

Thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

stm hot = you're done, try replace it but probably not worth it

rsquared

Post by rsquared »

I have a nze32 mini funfly board and Im really impressed with it . I decided to have a go at using the frsky telemetry but i don't see any output coning out of the flight controller board ( I used an oscilloscope and nothing present) do you have to turn this feature on? and if so how?

Cheers Rob
from shakey Christchuirch New Zealand

rsquared

Post by rsquared »

oh btw its the pink rev 5 version so I think from reading various bit about there isnt a need for a level converter between the frsky rx and the naze32

rsquared

Post by rsquared »

all sorted , i hadnt enabled the telemetry in CLI all good now

JbotMonkey

Post by JbotMonkey »

Nice work, how much flight time you get out of it with everything powered up?

strepto

Post by strepto »

Hi all,

Just spent some time wrestling with the spektrum rx. I realise people here probably already know all this, but I thought I might post the info in one place for the next hapless soul to refer to, because I couldn't find it all in one spot and it was a PITA to get to the bottom of it.

To use a spektrum satellite with the naze32, you obviously need to make up a cable which feeds it 3v. You can tap the pad on the board or use any of the common adapters for spektrum satellites like the one from openpilot. I also found a generic one on ebay. All they do is regulate the 5v to 3.3v.

Attach the power pins, and the data pin to pin 4.

from the cli

feature SERIALRX <--- (no longer feature SPEKTRUM if you have a newer firmware installed!) :?
set serialrx_type=0, 1 or 2 depending on the rx type (from the wiki: 0 for Spektrum 10bit (1024) mode, 1 for Spektrum 11bit (2048) mode, and 2 for Futaba SBUS mode)
map TAER1234

on the radio, set all endpoints to 125%

I also mounted the board rotated 90 degrees CCW for easier access to the USB port.

set align_board_yaw=270

Note the wiki lists this variable incorrectly as board_align_yaw.

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

I've read that to receive battery voltage info to my D4R -> my Taranis, all I need to do is connect the VBAT pin to my battery. Is that correct? Is there a preferred way of doing this? What are some example methods?

I appreciate the peace of mind. I don't want to fry the board. Trying to gain a clearer understanding of how this works since I can't imagine the board will like all 12v.

Since this is my first post and beginning of my Naze32 journey, I'd like to say thank you to timecop and the community for the hard work. I look forward to contributing.

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Also, I'm using Afro ESC 20A. Will the BEC of one of them provide enough power to the FC and all the other components? Is it safe to use all 4 ESC's power?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes to all the questions. vbat = solder it to + of your power distro. bec = more than enough

alistairr

Post by alistairr »

I've just set up telemetry with the D4R rx. Enabled vbat and telemetry in Cli. Attached flight pack voltage to vbat and attached telemetry on the frsky pins I attached tx to rx on the D4R and grd to grd using the supplied lead with the D4R rx. The individual cell voltages are being displayed on the Taranis. Not sure how to set up low voltage alarms as yet.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Post by aBUGSworstnightmare »

strepto wrote:Hi all,

Just spent some time wrestling with the spektrum rx. I realise people here probably already know all this, but I thought I might post the info in one place for the next hapless soul to refer to, because I couldn't find it all in one spot and it was a PITA to get to the bottom of it.

To use a spektrum satellite with the naze32, you obviously need to make up a cable which feeds it 3v. You can tap the pad on the board or use any of the common adapters for spektrum satellites like the one from openpilot. I also found a generic one on ebay. All they do is regulate the 5v to 3.3v.

Attach the power pins, and the data pin to pin 4.

from the cli

feature SERIALRX <--- (no longer feature SPEKTRUM if you have a newer firmware installed!) :?
set serialrx_type=0, 1 or 2 depending on the rx type (from the wiki: 0 for Spektrum 10bit (1024) mode, 1 for Spektrum 11bit (2048) mode, and 2 for Futaba SBUS mode)
map TAER1234

on the radio, set all endpoints to 125%

I also mounted the board rotated 90 degrees CCW for easier access to the USB port.

set align_board_yaw=270

Note the wiki lists this variable incorrectly as board_align_yaw.

Hi, this is how I did it:
3.3V from dedicated pad

Sat to Servo connector cable. Signal is in the middle.

strepto

Post by strepto »

Yep, saw that one, nice elegant solution!

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Thanks for the prompt reply. Just to confirm:

1. One Afro ESC will provide enough power to power the FC, as well as any other connected devices (RX, etc)?
2. Plugging all Afro ESCs, including their power wires, will be safe and not fry the board?
3. Connecting my battery (12+ volts) directly to the FC's VBAT pins will not fry the board?

I'm trying to better understand the "0.5A linear" rating of the Afro ESC and what that means exactly. What voltage does that output? Also, if I were to use all 4 ESCs into the FC, how does it get handled?

scrat

Post by scrat »

sentinel wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply. Just to confirm:

1. One Afro ESC will provide enough power to power the FC, as well as any other connected devices (RX, etc)?
2. Plugging all Afro ESCs, including their power wires, will be safe and not fry the board?
3. Connecting my battery (12+ volts) directly to the FC's VBAT pins will not fry the board?

I'm trying to better understand the "0.5A linear" rating of the Afro ESC and what that means exactly. What voltage does that output? Also, if I were to use all 4 ESCs into the FC, how does it get handled?

1. I'm not shure
2. If they are Linear, then no problem
3. No. I'm using it with 3S battery

ESC output 5V.

timecop

Post by timecop »

1) Yes. more than enough.

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Thank you. Just curious- what amount of volts can the rev 5 board handle then if hooking battery directly up to VBAT is safe?

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

Hey guys...

I searched this thread and THIS was the only post that came up talking about components 0:) , but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I was checking the datasheets for the the MPU6050, MS5611 and HMC5883L and I couldn't make out what these 3 components are.

C1, C4, C6 in this image. Those look like the data lines, but I can't make out what the capacitor values should be for those components...

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

Referenced the naze32 rev4 schematics to fill in the blanks

https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/d ... l%3Anaze32

c1/c4 .1uf

Just need c6 - guessing another .1uf bypass cap?

timecop

Post by timecop »

1 - 0.1uf
2 - 4.7uf
3 - 0.22uf
4-5-6 - 0.1uf

lunithy

Post by lunithy »

Hello all
a question about how the Naze handles a brown out will it shut down and then beep allot .. even after unplugging it and back in again :? teh video of this .. skip to 4:20 the end for the prang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVrmqQ ... page#t=262 I,m just curious its never done that before.

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

timecop wrote:1 - 0.1uf
2 - 4.7uf
3 - 0.22uf
4-5-6 - 0.1uf

Much obliged timecop...I have some spare sensors on my bench I'm going to throw on the acro.

timecop

Post by timecop »

lunithy wrote:Hello all
a question about how the Naze handles a brown out will it shut down and then beep allot .. even after unplugging it and back in again :? teh video of this .. skip to 4:20 the end for the prang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVrmqQ ... page#t=262 I,m just curious its never done that before.

If your battery drops below 3.5V during high throttle, you've got other problems.
Beeping wasn't naze, at least it doens't sound like it.

lunithy

Post by lunithy »

Thanks TC for the strait answers ... it does drop below 3.5 further testing has confirmed this.

scrat

Post by scrat »

timecop wrote:
If your battery drops below 3.5V during high throttle, you've got other problems.

Can I ask why?

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Since I'm using Afro ESCs with Naze32, I don't need to calibrate the ESCs, right?

I can just set the following values:

minthrottle=1064
maxthrottle=1864

Correct?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Correct.

timecop

Post by timecop »

scrat wrote:
timecop wrote:

Can I ask why?

Um.
Unless he's flying on 1S,
2S or 3S battery dropping below 3.5V total is probably not a very good idea.

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

Hi. My original Naze has definitely been beat down. The receiver's ground and voltage lines are gone, but I got them reconnected. When the Naze is powered the STM gets hot, but the lights still function. When the receiver is connected and I try to arm the green light goes on and when I disarm it goes off. When I try to plug it in to edit settings it gets hot as well and won't connect. Is the STM fried? Why do the arming lights still work? It's a PPM receiver so if the STM was fried I'd assume that the lights wouldn't be able to get the arming signal and do the light correctly. Anyone have some insight?

Thanks

There's more than likely a short somewhere in the system. If you're saying traces lifted then I wouldn't be surprised if one of them jumped a track.

Replacing the STM isn't impossible but you need the right tools. I recorded a few videos showing the process for tacking them down and hand soldering them. The process for removing the STM chip can be done using a hot air gun with a wide nozzle, or chipquick's SMD removal kit which contains a special high temp solder that has a much lower reflow temperature (allows you to work with it longer before it solidifies).

Tacking down the STM - this was a rough cut I never finished...wasn't too happy with the way this video turned out - I'll more than likely re record it

This is an example of removing one of the SMD components

Obviously the STM32 would require the bigger nozzle.

As TC said - it's possible, but for $25 for a new one - it's hard to justify the process of fixing them (the IC itself is $6)

kone

Post by kone »

sentinel wrote:Since I'm using Afro ESCs with Naze32, I don't need to calibrate the ESCs, right?

minthrottle=1064
maxthrottle=1864

Correct?

I would like to understand how come to use that values straight?
are those some well known (precompiled or default) in AfroESCs firmware?

thanks for enlighting me!
christian

raulmd

Post by raulmd »

Mochaboy wrote:Tacking down the STM - this was a rough cut I never finished...wasn't too happy with the way this video turned out - I'll more than likely re record it

Take a look at this SMD soldering tutorial. I find it as the best one.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

To remove the stm32 just cut every leg with a precision cutter. After that it's easy to remove the legs from the pcb using a soldering iron. I know it kills the chip but we are talking about replacing a broken chip.

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

Thanks for the vids and the help guys. I may have to try it because I just received a second naze32 and when connected to my minimosd the stm32 fried. I'm not sure what's up with this... I checked for ground loops and saw none. So instead of buying one I may have to try to reattach a new stm32.

At first I connected it with just a BEC to see if it worked (and it did). I had power into the naze via an ESC rail. I had tx/rx connected to the minim. I had receiver connected via ppm. I had the osd powered via 12v. I had no power wires between the board and the osd. There was only one ground direction for each component. When powered up it worked (osd displayed on screen with correct signals). I unplugged and decided to actually connect to the PDB of my quad as well as ESCs. I had one ESC bec connected and the rest with only signal wires. The only difference was that the vbat wire was connected. I turned it on and it didn't work. I felt the STM and whaddya know... it's burning. What'd I do wrong so I don't make this mistake again? Everything seems like it should have worked.

Thanks for dealing with an idiot like me!

timecop

Post by timecop »

kone wrote:
sentinel wrote:Since I'm using Afro ESCs with Naze32, I don't need to calibrate the ESCs, right?

minthrottle=1064
maxthrottle=1864

Correct?

I would like to understand how come to use that values straight?
are those some well known (precompiled or default) in AfroESCs firmware?

thanks for enlighting me!
christian

Those are default values in afroesc firmware if you don't calibrate them (which you don't really need to do).
So if we feed them these exact values, it has 800 steps of resolution. If you re-calibrate then you might have reduced resolution due to scaling/etc.

timecop

Post by timecop »

elmtree wrote:Thanks for the vids and the help guys. I may have to try it because I just received a second naze32 and when connected to my minimosd the stm32 fried. I'm not sure what's up with this... I checked for ground loops and saw none. So instead of buying one I may have to try to reattach a new stm32.

At first I connected it with just a BEC to see if it worked (and it did). I had power into the naze via an ESC rail. I had tx/rx connected to the minim. I had receiver connected via ppm. I had the osd powered via 12v. I had no power wires between the board and the osd. There was only one ground direction for each component. When powered up it worked (osd displayed on screen with correct signals). I unplugged and decided to actually connect to the PDB of my quad as well as ESCs. I had one ESC bec connected and the rest with only signal wires. The only difference was that the vbat wire was connected. I turned it on and it didn't work. I felt the STM and whaddya know... it's burning. What'd I do wrong so I don't make this mistake again? Everything seems like it should have worked.

Thanks for dealing with an idiot like me!

minitrashosd is 5V.
You're probably sending 5V somewhere where it shouldn't be.
Like a 3V-tolerant pin, while MCU is not powered.
If you do that, bad things happen.

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

So a way to avoid this would be to power the Naze before the OSD? Also, since minim is trash is there a better option for a light osd?

Thanks

aBUGSworstnightmare

Post by aBUGSworstnightmare »

elmtree wrote:So a way to avoid this would be to power the Naze before the OSD?

No! Your signal level needs to be converted to 3V! Regardless of whatever power sequencing you will do it's still 5V.

elmtree wrote:Also, since minim is trash is there a better option for a light osd?

I'm not using an OSD at the moment but there some threads covering/dealing with OSD here in the forum. BE shure your OSD has 3V I/O level!

aBUGSworstnightmare

scrat

Post by scrat »

You can power minimosd from + and - pin on one free motor pin or from receiver. Like tc said...minimosd is 5V.

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

The only difference was that the vbat wire was connected. I turned it on and it didn't work. I felt the STM and whaddya know... it's burning. What'd I do wrong so I don't make this mistake again? Everything seems like it should have worked.

Elmtree - if you're willing to cover shipping I'd be happy to take a look at this for you.

I have all the equipment to do that repair cleanly.

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

elmtree wrote:So a way to avoid this would be to power the Naze before the OSD? Also, since minim is trash is there a better option for a light osd?

Thanks

I have a love/hate relationship with the board. I use it all on my rigs (because it's the cheapest option of the overlay boards out there - $12 come on!) The hobbyking g-osds and e-osds are pretty decent contenders for stand alone devices but you'll need to flash them firmware that's more useful than what they come with.

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

Mochaboy wrote:Elmtree - if you're willing to cover shipping I'd be happy to take a look at this for you.

I have all the equipment to do that repair cleanly.

That would be amazing! Pm me your details?

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Set my min and max throttle to values according to Afro ESC manual. Baseflight Configurator is showing:

All channels show around 994 at min, 2014 at max. Mid points show right around 1500 (1501, 1502, 1503)

This seems to be slightly different than what I've read during my research, however it also seems sane. Can someone please confirm? Thanks in advance.

scrat

Post by scrat »

All channels must be min 1005 or 1010 and max 1998 or 1995. Center at 1500 and for Futaba 1520.

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

If the defaults for afros are 800 steps, is there any justifiable benefit to moving to 990 steps? Or is that purely a matter of taste?

lunithy

Post by lunithy »

timecop wrote:
scrat wrote:
timecop wrote:

Can I ask why?

Um.
Unless he's flying on 1S,
2S or 3S battery dropping below 3.5V total is probably not a very good idea.

Just to clarify I fly with a 4s bat what you hear in the video is the battery alarm as the voltage drops to0 low then strait after the crash it recovers some voltage and the Naze sets of it's idiot alarm as I still have the arme switch on at TX.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Mochaboy wrote:If the defaults for afros are 800 steps, is there any justifiable benefit to moving to 990 steps? Or is that purely a matter of taste?

I think you have more precise throttle.

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

Timecop,

Elmtree's boards are on their way to me and I was just thinking ahead regarding a few details. If I end up having to swap out the STM32s, the chips come blank from digikey which means no bootloader.

I plan on using an STM32 Discovery board to interface with the chip via the SWD port and pushing the bootloader and possibly the firmware via STLink (those are the only tools I have at this point - I'm sure there are better ones - just trying to keep costs down).

My question - is there a separate bootloader bin file or does that come baked in with the hex on the git repo? Without the bootloader, can I still push firmware to the chip using just the CP2102 for usb/serial connectivity?

I've only done this on Revo board which do their setup in their own special way - was just curious to see if I could use any of the techniques from that setup for the Naze boards.

Thanks in advance.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I am having a few issues setting up the failsafe on my Naze32 (acro version).

I have an openLRSng receiver setup as follows;

I've setup my limits and centre positions as well as i can with my cheap turnigy 9x;

But when i turn my transmitter off i get this;

Looking at these extreme values this could be responsible for my crash the other day;

http://youtu.be/pMY0ckSeKOg

Fortunately no real damage from the crash, but i want to work out what's causing this issue. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I now know what was causing my problems. I had 2 different failsafes going at the same time. The receiver failsafe was set to nonsense values (as shown in the picture in the previous post) as i hadn't realised i'd set it accidentally in the past. The naze32 failsafe wasn't activating as it was seeing the failsafe values from the receiver module and accepting those as regular transmitter inputs. The nonsense receiver failsafe values are what caused the crash when failsafe activated.

In order to use the Naze32 failsafe you need to disable the failsafe on the receiver module like so;

Specifically failsafe needs to be disabled but stop PPM on failsafe enabled. Stopping PPM is what gives the naze the signal to go into failsafe.

Then i was having problems because i was looking at the receiver values in the chrome configurator app and expecting to see them jump to the failsafe values when i turned my transmitter off. They don't - they just hold to last know values. I assumed this meant neither failsafe was working but in fact the naze failsafe works fine - it just doesn't show that it's working based on receiver values in the chrome app (whereas a receiver based failsafe does).

I tested it with the props off and discovered it was working fine with these new settings.

Thanks to the guys on the multiwii irc chat room for all the help and advice :-)

Mochaboy

Post by Mochaboy »

teslahed wrote:I now know what was causing my problems. I had 2 different failsafes going at the same time. The receiver failsafe was set to nonsense values (as shown in the picture in the previous post) as i hadn't realised i'd set it accidentally in the past. The naze32 failsafe wasn't activating as it was seeing the failsafe values from the receiver module and accepting those as regular transmitter inputs. The nonsense receiver failsafe values are what caused the crash when failsafe activated.

In order to use the Naze32 failsafe you need to disable the failsafe on the receiver module like so;

Specifically failsafe needs to be disabled but stop PPM on failsafe enabled. Stopping PPM is what gives the naze the signal to go into failsafe.

Then i was having problems because i was looking at the receiver values in the chrome configurator app and expecting to see them jump to the failsafe values when i turned my transmitter off. They don't - they just hold to last know values. I assumed this meant neither failsafe was working but in fact the naze failsafe works fine - it just doesn't show that it's working based on receiver values in the chrome app (whereas a receiver based failsafe does).

I tested it with the props off and discovered it was working fine with these new settings.

Thanks to the guys on the multiwii irc chat room for all the help and advice :-)

I discovered this exact same thing with my openlrs receivers and especially with the ppm output failsafe setting. For what it's worth, I use the receiver failsafe over the naze32 failsafe because it's easier for me to reprogram the receiver failsafe (hit the bind button with the new tx positions) than it would be to connect to the naze32 over usb/wireless and hit it with the configurator.

So yeah with the openlrs receiver I allow the PPM to continue outputting on failsafe, with that off - the naze32 sent a 1500us pulse for flight mode (default value of midstick for all radio inputs). So in my failsafe tests, it would engage stabilize, then a few seconds later swap to some other flight mode.