Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Olddude

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by Olddude »

@Animal60
I don't understand ?how does anything to do with the TX has input on the VBAT voltage reading ?
The VBAT +/- connects to the MINIMOSD then displays this on the screen
At no stage is there any input from the tx ?
Cold you explain what u mean ?
' setting is changed to cells on "taranis"'
I dont really understand ?

PabsCDN

Post by PabsCDN »

Hi All, just picked up a Naze32 board and I'm loving it! I'm a bit of a noob to quads, but so far totally loving it. I started with a KK2 board then switched to the Naze ... way better feel when flying with the Naze32!

I have it setup as a basic quadx right now but thinking of upgrading my frame to a deadcat/discovery/stretched X type of frame. Do I need to do a custom mix for this motor layout? If it does need a custom mix has anyone done this type of mix before to get me started?

Thanks!

timecop

Post by timecop »

Shouldn't need any special mix - most 250-sized FPV stuffs are longer than wider and it works fine.

PabsCDN

Post by PabsCDN »

Great! Thanks for the quick response timecop ... I will order a new frame tonight and report back after the build.

Cheers!

Torque66

Post by Torque66 »

Yo... flashed my ver 4 to 5 or whatever the last one is... have arming mapped to a switch and now i can disarm in flight wassup with that?

timecop

Post by timecop »

ya blame ablomas for it. his request.
CLI option was added in recent code but it hasn't been built yet.

Torque66

Post by Torque66 »

First the afros and now this... just awesome....f'me....

Did i cut you off on the highway somewhere?

Adicakes

Post by Adicakes »

Encountered an unexpected problem today when switching a quadcopter's FC from AcroNaze to AfroMini.

I use SimonK ESCs without any post-flashing calibration, so the AcroNaze had set:
set minthrottle=1064
set maxthrottle=1864
set mincommand=1000

...and this worked fine, just as expected - all motors would throttle up at the same time.

I fitted the AfroMini to the same 'copter, no changes to the ESCs, and set the minthrottle, maxthrottle, and mincommand values as above.

On arming, the motors spun up unevenly. The front-right motor would spin up on arming with the other 3 motors stationary. Increasing the throttle just a touch would get the other 3 motors spinning. I found that if I set minthrottle=1066, the issue goes away and all 4 motors start spinning on arm.

Any ideas what might causes this?

Thanks,
A.

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

You fixed it properly. Does it really matter why settings on one FC doesn't work on a second completely different FC? Put a different motor in a car and you've got to tune to get optimal. Just my opinion...

Let us know if it makes a difference in performance.

timecop

Post by timecop »

midrc...

Adicakes

Post by Adicakes »

timecop wrote:midrc...

Yes, I'm a Futaba user and set midrc=1520. I also rechecked the midpoints via Baseflight and adjusted subtrim so that ail/ele/rud were at 1520 (with end-points 1000/2000) at neutral. Throttle endpoints were adjusted to range from 1000 to 2000.

All of the above was done before I ran into the issue described in my previous post.

guaglione87

Post by guaglione87 »

New issue with what may be my ESCs, soldering or something going on with naze32 on my hex. 5 minutes to 6 minutes of flight, flying great, then all motors cut out and down she goes.

No heat build up on motors or ESCs. Running UHF with verified range tests, so its not failsafe. ESCs are emax 12a with emax motors. All ESCs are soldered to the blackout pdb, nice and clean.

No idea why it flies fine, then randomly it cuts all motors. Worth noting that after a few seconds, everything powers back up.

Only settings I changed after loading the most recent firmware is motor stop, ppm and remap for spektrum (and PIDs). Looptime is 3000.

Any idea what the heck is up? Crashed 3 times now all due to the motors unexpectedly cutting out in unison. I cant even say i am also at the same throttle point. once it was in fast forward flight, once it was just cruising around, and once it was hovering.

LVNeptune

Post by LVNeptune »

Low Battery Voltage cutoff?

guaglione87

Post by guaglione87 »

naa - not that simple. I can / have tested for that. All the motors literally just shut down in unison. After I pick it up and plug back in, it will hover along just fine.

timecop

Post by timecop »

> Worth noting that after a few seconds, everything powers back up.
Without reconnecting battery?
Or battery needs to be replugged?

guaglione87

Post by guaglione87 »

I have always reconnected because the battery ejected most times from the crash. I can bench test with a load on the motors and hope to replicate the issue on the ground. Anything I should be looking for provided I can / can't re power without reconnecting the power?

timecop

Post by timecop »

The only time it would do that would be in hardfault handler, which means error in code.
I've not seen anythign that would cause it tho.

Andyjones

Post by Andyjones »

Hey guys, I just wanted to first thank you all for makings such a cool piece of tech. I was wondering if I can use this Sonar I got from radioshack for one of my kids projects on this board?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400714787400?lpid=82

The one Im seeing people use on here (h somehitng or other) has 4 pins and this one has 3 so this may be a stupid question but that has never stopped me before. Thanks again

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

I have an old AfroMini32 with "junky" BMP085 ... since it is pin compatible with BMP180 ... will be possible to take out the BMP085 with an hot air gun ... and put a BMP180 on it ? Can the heat process from the hot air gun kill the BMP180 ?
Thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

It's not pin compatible at all.
But yes, you can hot air it off and maybe use some jumper wires or a BMP180 breakout board...

helivis

Post by helivis »

Got my Naze 32 last week and put it on my 450 for test replacing KK2.
First flights went well, but on my second day testing I went up high and slowed the motors to much on descent and landed hard and it flipped over breaking my dome and bent a few pins but otherwise no damage.
I powered up the board today. and cant get the GUI in Baseflight
Got the following message, have tried different ports and different USB cables
Led's powers up as constant blue plus slow pulsing red- green-red-green

21:26:23 -- Running - OS: Windows, Chrome: 37.0.2062.103, Configurator: 0.51
21:26:52 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 20
21:27:02 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
21:27:02 -- Serial port successfully closed
21:28:51 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 21
21:29:01 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
21:29:01 -- Serial port successfully closed
21:29:23 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 22
21:29:33 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
21:29:33 -- Serial port successfully closed

Any help would be appreciated.
Helivis
Afroflight Rev 5

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

Andyjones wrote:Hey guys, I just wanted to first thank you all for makings such a cool piece of tech. I was wondering if I can use this Sonar I got from radioshack for one of my kids projects on this board?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400714787400?lpid=82

The one Im seeing people use on here (h somehitng or other) has 4 pins and this one has 3 so this may be a stupid question but that has never stopped me before. Thanks again

I think you should be able to use it if you connect the echo pin on your naze to the signal pin on the sonar unit, then put a diode between the trigger pin on the naze to the same signal pin on the unit.

That's assuming that you trigger the unit by pulling the signal pin high, and then it sends back a high pulse when it detects the ground.

Please note that the default baseflight code only allows the use of sonar if you also have a barometer on board. If you want to use sonar with an acro board, then you'll have to do some compiling yourself. Here's some code I wrote to allow this to happen, it creates another flight mode that you can select with aux switches:
https://github.com/nebbian/cleanflight/commit/66fce423bbe75f60c813319e07b120798f0b4a0d

PabsCDN

Post by PabsCDN »

Hey Guys, I have a Naze32 Acro ... If I connect a GPS will I get position hold and RTH functions or do I need the version with a baro and mag?

Thanks!

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

PabsCDN wrote:Hey Guys, I have a Naze32 Acro ... If I connect a GPS will I get position hold and RTH functions or do I need the version with a baro and mag?

Thanks!

Short answer. Yes you need baro and mag. But PH and RTH is a bit touch and go. You should test it extensively before trusting it on Baseflight.

strepto

Post by strepto »

I would go one further and say never trust it. It's very hit and miss and there are many variables; mag interference, quality of GPS, etc...

timecop

Post by timecop »

How about you start by flying, first.

eatkabab

Post by eatkabab »

I was here previously with HEADFREE that wasn't working. I got a replacement board and its waaayyyyyy better now. Still has issue with minor turns but light years better.

I've isolated the issue where the board doesn't remember which way is front/back. I'm not sure if this may be causing issues or doesn't go further than the orientation box in base flight.

See video here: Naze32 heading issue?: http://youtu.be/sS8yXbNEK2g

Thanks for your help! You're excellent

PabsCDN

Post by PabsCDN »

timecop wrote:How about you start by flying, first.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I have been flying the Acro board and love it! Very stable right out of the box. I do like to tinker with this stuff though, for better or worse. I've gone through the KK2.1 and AIO FC before trying the Naze32 ... I like the Naze32 best so far so I wanted to see what I can do with it.

Thanks for all the help!

-P

strips

Post by strips »

PabsCDN wrote:
timecop wrote:How about you start by flying, first.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I have been flying the Acro board and love it! Very stable right out of the box. I do like to tinker with this stuff though, for better or worse. I've gone through the KK2.1 and AIO FC before trying the Naze32 ... I like the Naze32 best so far so I wanted to see what I can do with it.

Thanks for all the help!

-P

If you want gps on naze look to Harakiri.

guaglione87

Post by guaglione87 »

On going problem, which has now seemed to spread to my quad since updating the firmware - all my stuff is freaking dropping out of the sky. Hex flies fine through one pack, load the next pack and 30 seconds into the flight all motors shut down and it falls out of the sky. The battery did not disconnect this time, and I noticed that I could not power anything up. I waited for another 30 seconds or so (all the while keeping it plugged in) then the motors powered back up again.

I've wasted too many props on the issue so far, without being able to pin point the problem. I will post a DVR video of it shortly. The onboard mobius footage reveals that all motors shut down as the same time. This happens at various throttle settings - ranging from a hover to fast forward flight...

timecop

Post by timecop »

Unlikely scenario.

guaglione87

Post by guaglione87 »

First time my blackout quad when down - sunnysky motors and tiger 12a ESCs, i was about 5 minutes into this flight when everything shut down. Lost all motor power. Note that I still had FPV power, just no motor power.

Then one sucessful flight on my blackout hex with emax motors and emax 12a ESCs. Second flight it failed the same way - lost all motors, fpv stayed on.

Quad has a black acro naze32, hex has a red acro naze32. Both have the latest firmware.

Prior to this, I have had around 80 flights without issue on my quad.

Video from today: First flight is the quad, second is the hex; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcEQCwK ... e=youtu.be

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

So what changed between your successful flights and the fails? Attaching the dump output from each FC could help.

I had issues like that while playing around with looptimes... without knowing how to convert hz to microseconds. Are you running 2500 for the tiger escs or 1667? Couldn't find the refresh for the emax so probably safe to assume 400hz. The increased looptime should be fine for the processor, but its the only time I've experienced something like what you've captured.

Any chance you can post raw flight video from your HD cam with sound from the quad/motors?

bulesz

X8 - Naze32

Post by bulesz »

Guys, anyone has experience using and setup Naze32 for X8 octo?

Many thanks,
B

guaglione87

Post by guaglione87 »

The only thing changed was the firmware, which i updated a week ago. The only difference between the hex and the quad is the looptime (quad is 3000, hex is 2500). The refresh rate on the tiger escs is 600, I would assume also that the emax simon series ESCs are 400 as well, as I got in touch with the vendor who informed me that the looptime should not be a factor in my issue.

Can you describe how your issue was similar and how you changed the looptime to resolve it?

Here is the CLI dump from the hexacopter:

# dump
Current Config: Copy everything below here...
aux 0 1
aux 1 0
aux 2 24
aux 3 0
aux 4 0
aux 5 0
aux 6 0
aux 7 0
aux 8 0
aux 9 0
aux 10 0
aux 11 0
aux 12 0
aux 13 0
aux 14 0
aux 15 0
aux 16 0
aux 17 0
aux 18 0
aux 19 0
aux 20 0
mixer HEX6X
feature -PPM
feature -VBAT
feature -INFLIGHT_ACC_CAL
feature -SERIALRX
feature -MOTOR_STOP
feature -SERVO_TILT
feature -SOFTSERIAL
feature -LED_RING
feature -GPS
feature -FAILSAFE
feature -SONAR
feature -TELEMETRY
feature -POWERMETER
feature -VARIO
feature -3D
feature PPM
feature VBAT
feature MOTOR_STOP
map TAER1234
set looptime = 2500
set emf_avoidance = 1
set midrc = 1500
set minthrottle = 1040
set maxthrottle = 1920
set mincommand = 1020
set mincheck = 1100
set maxcheck = 1900
set deadband3d_low = 1406
set deadband3d_high = 1514
set neutral3d = 1460
set deadband3d_throttle = 50
set motor_pwm_rate = 400
set servo_pwm_rate = 50
set retarded_arm = 0
set flaps_speed = 0
set fixedwing_althold_dir = 1
set reboot_character = 82
set serial_baudrate = 115200
set softserial_baudrate = 9600
set softserial_1_inverted = 0
set softserial_2_inverted = 0
set gps_type = 0
set gps_baudrate = 0
set serialrx_type = 0
set telemetry_provider = 0
set telemetry_port = 0
set telemetry_switch = 0
set vbatscale = 110
set currentscale = 400
set currentoffset = 0
set multiwiicurrentoutput = 0
set vbatmaxcellvoltage = 43
set vbatmincellvoltage = 33
set power_adc_channel = 0
set align_gyro = 0
set align_acc = 0
set align_mag = 0
set align_board_roll = 0
set align_board_pitch = 0
set align_board_yaw = 0
set yaw_control_direction = 1
set acc_hardware = 0
set max_angle_inclination = 500
set moron_threshold = 32
set gyro_lpf = 42
set gyro_cmpf_factor = 600
set gyro_cmpfm_factor = 250
set pid_controller = 0
set deadband = 0
set yawdeadband = 0
set alt_hold_throttle_neutral = 40
set alt_hold_fast_change = 1
set throttle_correction_value = 0
set throttle_correction_angle = 800
set rc_rate = 125
set rc_expo = 65
set thr_mid = 50
set thr_expo = 0
set roll_pitch_rate = 50
set yaw_rate = 45
set tpa_rate = 15
set tpa_breakpoint = 1500
set failsafe_delay = 10
set failsafe_off_delay = 200
set failsafe_throttle = 1200
set failsafe_detect_threshold = 985
set rssi_aux_channel = 0
set yaw_direction = 1
set tri_unarmed_servo = 1
set gimbal_flags = 1
set acc_lpf_factor = 4
set accxy_deadband = 40
set accz_deadband = 40
set acc_unarmedcal = 1
set small_angle = 25
set acc_trim_pitch = 0
set acc_trim_roll = 0
set baro_tab_size = 21
set baro_noise_lpf = 0.600
set baro_cf_vel = 0.985
set baro_cf_alt = 0.965
set accz_lpf_cutoff = 5.000
set mag_declination = 0
set gps_pos_p = 11
set gps_pos_i = 0
set gps_pos_d = 0
set gps_posr_p = 20
set gps_posr_i = 8
set gps_posr_d = 45
set gps_nav_p = 14
set gps_nav_i = 20
set gps_nav_d = 80
set gps_wp_radius = 200
set nav_controls_heading = 1
set nav_speed_min = 100
set nav_speed_max = 300
set nav_slew_rate = 30
set p_pitch = 64
set i_pitch = 55
set d_pitch = 34
set p_roll = 44
set i_roll = 50
set d_roll = 32
set p_yaw = 118
set i_yaw = 55
set d_yaw = 0
set p_alt = 50
set i_alt = 0
set d_alt = 0
set p_level = 90
set i_level = 10
set d_level = 100
set p_vel = 120
set i_vel = 45
set d_vel = 1

#

Soldier

Post by Soldier »

Hi All.

So i got myself a Naze32 funfly(full version) set it up and it work well, except with the gps.

After doing a lot of research, i figured why not flash it with testcode 3. Successfull flashed and now it wont connect to cleanflight nor baseflight. Though it can connet to MW WinGUI, i can't setup anything!?

And trying to reflash to board with anything else it says cannot connect with bootlaoder. Help please!

Oh, i'm all new at this, so be gentle.. ;)

-Kenneth

pral

Post by pral »

Hi,

here (https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/AfroFlight32) it says that the naze32 rev5 works directly with 16V on the servo connector port.
Is this true? Is also 16,8v possible? (4S = 4x4,2v)
Is there a bec built in or how to power the rx then?

Im not quite sure because I heard someone saying his naze32 blew up when powered directly on 4S.

Thanks

strips

Post by strips »

Soldier wrote:Hi All.

So i got myself a Naze32 funfly(full version) set it up and it work well, except with the gps.

After doing a lot of research, i figured why not flash it with testcode 3. Successfull flashed and now it wont connect to cleanflight nor baseflight. Though it can connet to MW WinGUI, i can't setup anything!?

And trying to reflash to board with anything else it says cannot connect with bootlaoder. Help please!

Oh, i'm all new at this, so be gentle.. ;)

-Kenneth

See my post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28963817&postcount=4271

eatkabab

Post by eatkabab »

So it seems the compass gets thrown off because it's on the same board as everything else. Other FC's seem to opt for off board compass/GPS. Is there any way to do that with the Naze32 FUll?
Last edited by eatkabab on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldier

Post by Soldier »

Thank you Strips!! I am back in touch with the board, now i got something to do tomorrow with setup before going on duty !! :D

-Kenneth

Soldier

Post by Soldier »

Running putty cli on com3 115200 the board is just putting out a lot wierd on screen... i am not able to put in any commands, it just keeps on writing wierd stuff on the screen!?

What am i doing wrong?

-Kenneth

strips

Post by strips »

Soldier wrote:Running putty cli on com3 115200 the board is just putting out a lot wierd on screen... i am not able to put in any commands, it just keeps on writing wierd stuff on the screen!?

What am i doing wrong?

-Kenneth

What FW do you use now? Baseflight I believe uses 230400 baud. If using Harakiri there is a separate thread for it on this forum. With Harakiri you should press enter or # a few times and you should get CLI.

Soldier

Post by Soldier »

I have installed harakiri testcode3, baseflight is using 115200, and connecting through putty cli it is just like there is a stream of data coming in, and it wont stop.

kilby

Post by kilby »

@eatkabab other flight controllers have the compass on the main board without issues.

The problem doesn't come from the other componants on he board but from where the board is mounted in the first place, often close to the power distribution, esc's or motors.

The compass (on the case of APM) was moved off the flight controller to allow more flexibility for mounting the compass away from noise sources.

Another option is to shield the flight controller

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

Hi,
OK bite my head off but this question isnt about naze32 but the original Free Flight board on which the naze32 was based. I found it abandoned in the drawer and decided to try to resurrect it.

So i have flashed the F/F board with the baseflight configurator and all i want to know is how to move the front from the corner to square so i dont have to redrill mounting holes at 45 degrees.

thanks
Ray

Soldier

Post by Soldier »

I did a open source search and found out how to get it to work, now i just need to do the complete setup. :)

Thanks for all the help, you guys in here rock! Soooooh much info in here! ^_^

-Kenneth

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, board_align_yaw is what you need, should be able to set it to 45 or -45, and it should do what you want.

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

timecop wrote:Yes, board_align_yaw is what you need, should be able to set it to 45 or -45, and it should do what you want.

Thanks tc, 45 didnt work, didnt think of -45 so did 315 and that worked. Chuffed that ive got the old Free Flight board going again.

bassmission

Post by bassmission »

I appear to have damaged the CPPM input on channel 1 of my acro naze r5 board - is there any way to use a CPPM input on one of the other channels (2-8)?

MassiveOverkill

Post by MassiveOverkill »

bassmission wrote:I appear to have damaged the CPPM input on channel 1 of my acro naze r5 board - is there any way to use a CPPM input on one of the other channels (2-8)?

Damaged as in tore the trace off?