pjman

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by pjman »

Ordered from BoltRC - Thanks for the heads up

timecop

Post by timecop »

I'm assembling minis tomorrow.
I have an assembly queue for fulls as well, I hope I can get them done tomorrow also. But no promises, as I have lots of other crap to do lately.

io53

Post by io53 »

timecop wrote:I'm assembling minis tomorrow.
I have an assembly queue for fulls as well, I hope I can get them done tomorrow also. But no promises, as I have lots of other crap to do lately.

Are you doing all the soldering yourself?
The demand seem to be pretty high on your boards and the cost of the components are quite low; aren't you worried someone else will start producing them in volumes?

timecop

Post by timecop »

What do you think clonespy and flyjewino have been doing? But it's ok, one can easily tell their stuff from the original, theirs looks like shit :)

dogz85

Post by dogz85 »

i built a mini tri and yaw is FAST in one direction and slow in the other, is this normal for a tri ? Will moving to dual servo tri improve things ?

onto the specific question. is there a defined mix for dual servo tri (servo on both front arms)

if not, can someone explain (or point me to and explanation) how to do a custom mix and how its inputed in the CLI.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Did you check manual, and make sure your RC inputs are at 1500 (using subtrim) or at 1520+subtrim if using futaba?

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

3 months update

NAZE32 ! all other boards are just PAP
I flown MANY boards and i wont name any names but NAZE32 kicks all of em
just 3 moths now i run the NAZE board and have to SAy its awesome ..

Now, a word or 2 on the BS tc has to put up with here

and i shall even scream!

THIS Is AN OPEN SOURCE PROJECT, STOP ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS ALL DAY
IF U CANNOT ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN MATTER THEN GTFO AND BUY A READY TO RUN TOY .
A FEW PEOPLE EVEN SAY TC NEEDS AN ATTITUDE CHECK ?
WHAT? LIKE YOU PEOPLE ATTITUDE CHANGE YOUR CHILDREN NOWADAYS? .. SO LETS DRUG TC THEN ;) LOL
UN-BE-FUCKIN-LIEVABLE .THE 'NEED TO BE FEED ALL' GENERATION.
WHEN HE COMES HERE FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS AND HAS TO FACE THE SAME STUPID QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER..
YOU WONT GET YOU HAND HELD HERE GTFO AND LEARN SOME OR BETTER STILL , GET OUT OF OPEN SOURCE
ATTITUDE CHANGE ?
NEXT YOU TELL HIM TO WISH EVERYONE : A FABULOUS DAY , AND YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT ?

I THINK HE'S REALLY REALLY KEEPING IT CIVIL IF IT WAS ME I DON'T THINK I WOULD HAVE HIS PATIENCE .

k thats it for my rant ...back to flying
tc ? keep it up and maybe make some copy paste shit so u can just repeat yourself over and over without having to type the same shit again and again

Frank

Post by Frank »

Lol, too bad you didn´t get stuck at some (maybe stupid) point with your naze32. I bet you would have been ranting tc etc. also in uppercase. lol.
And yeah, opensource is absolutely about not asking stupid questions... I´m sure you are a linux-expert who never seeked some help in boards, just posting RTFM. congrats.

kilby

Post by kilby »

@Frank I have to agree with old dude (but without the caps)

First stop should be your supplier, then the Naze wiki, then Google, then the community.

The last stop should be timecop for the more esoteric issues.

If you bought direct from him he does say that if you don't know what you are doing then buy the support package.

If you can't set up your clone APM surely you don't run off to 3DR and chase their dev team?

I managed to set up my first naze without any issues and only asked a couple of minor questions from other Naze users.

theailer

Post by theailer »

And if you buy the support package from abusemark he will blacklist your sorry ass and refund your money. How nice isn't that :)
tc, I love you man!

kilby

Post by kilby »

Hahaha that's the best thing i have heard today (probably.longer)

ronin4740

Post by ronin4740 »

Did a Spektrum DSMX satellite rx install on my tricopter today and have to say it went well. It looks much better with a little circuit board on the nose than it did with a big orange rx :) Had to tweak the throttle endpoints in the TX to get it to arm but once I figured out that it was the cause of the motors not arming everything was golden.

I am almost positive that the answer is no but it's still not possible to connect both a GPS and a Spektrum satellite to the same board due to both needing pins 3&4, correct? Building out a FPV quad soon and toying with the idea of using the full Naze32 with a GPS. Just thought I'd ask.

markusb

Post by markusb »

Does anyone know where I can find rev5 schematic?
I have a bunch of Naze32 rewv5 boards here for fault finding.

strepto

Post by strepto »

ronin4740 wrote:Did a Spektrum DSMX satellite rx install on my tricopter today and have to say it went well. It looks much better with a little circuit board on the nose than it did with a big orange rx :) Had to tweak the throttle endpoints in the TX to get it to arm but once I figured out that it was the cause of the motors not arming everything was golden.

I am almost positive that the answer is no but it's still not possible to connect both a GPS and a Spektrum satellite to the same board due to both needing pins 3&4, correct? Building out a FPV quad soon and toying with the idea of using the full Naze32 with a GPS. Just thought I'd ask.

I think I asked this once, or saw someone else ask, and TC's response was along the lines of "god I hope not".

So yeah, no is the answer.

You'll need PWM or PPM to use GPS. LemonRX have a new 8ch rx with PPM output. I've got one on order, will be interesting to evaluate when it arrives.

Bear in mind too that GPS support is pretty limited at the moment with Baseflight.

timecop

Post by timecop »

markusb wrote:Does anyone know where I can find rev5 schematic?
I have a bunch of Naze32 rewv5 boards here for fault finding.

Nothing is significantly different from r4 that you would need it.
Fault finding on naze boards: MCU is fried by 5V, so remove it and replace. done.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

I have the Lemon 8ch PPM receiver in my mini quad with Acro Naze32.. it's awesome. It has programmable failsafe, super lightweight and small, and comes with a satellite rx. You can't go wrong.

uvlight

Post by uvlight »

timecop wrote:*currently* shipping stuff:
acro: 5.5V max
full: 16V max
afromini: 16V max
previosuly (<= 1 year ago) shipping stuff was all limited to 5.5V, then I updated full to a better reg.
If 2 5-pin chips on the board say something like "IL30x" then its 16V capable, if it says something like "DE=2" then its 5.5V max.

Board itself doesn't draw > 100mA

just got my Acro Naze32 order, thanks TimeCop.
Mine comes with DE-307, I know it handle 5.5v max. I just want to make sure. the battery voltage monitor port can still handle up to 25V? dont want to fry my board due to silly mistakes.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Correct

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

Dear timecop, I think i somehow managed to burn a naze32 board. there are no visible signs of damage or neither did I connect something wrongly.
the board just heads up when connected to usb and the lights don't turn on.

is there a way I can find out how is wrong with it and possibly fix it (maybe replacing a component ) ? any help here would be appreciated.
thanks

scrat

Post by scrat »

You have fried stm32.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Correct.
And replacing it is easy w/hot air but it will make a freaking mess out of the pin headers if you got some soldered.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

soldered the pins already, so will try to de-solder the nearby pins first and then remove the stm chip. :D
any ebay STM32F103CBT6 would do ?

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

Hi,

I've enabled TELEMETRY and am attempting to wire the Naze32 TX Telemetry into Data In of a Vario sensor, which then plugs into the X8R S.Port,

Can anyone tell me if that's the way?

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

strepto wrote:
ronin4740 wrote:Did a Spektrum DSMX satellite rx install on my tricopter today and have to say it went well. It looks much better with a little circuit board on the nose than it did with a big orange rx :) Had to tweak the throttle endpoints in the TX to get it to arm but once I figured out that it was the cause of the motors not arming everything was golden.

I think I asked this once, or saw someone else ask, and TC's response was along the lines of "god I hope not".

So yeah, no is the answer.

You'll need PWM or PPM to use GPS. LemonRX have a new 8ch rx with PPM output. I've got one on order, will be interesting to evaluate when it arrives.

Bear in mind too that GPS support is pretty limited at the moment with Baseflight.

You can also use the MAP command in CLI to map the GPS pins to be channels 3&4. That way you can use standard PWM outputs of a receiver with channels 125678. Not sure if it's recommended or not.
I could have sworn in the beginning channels 3&4 got automatically reserved for GPS somehowbut now I had to use MAP command to achieve same result.... (eg. CLI> MAP AE34TR12)

timecop

Post by timecop »

I don't remember either - when GPS is enabled in PWM mode, those 2 channels are dropped during initialization (and reserved for GPS), so you will have only 6 RC inputs - which means map AETR1234 will only give you AETR12 and 34 will be gone. I think the shift is automatic - but its trivial to test and find out .

peter750

Post by peter750 »

Hi TC,

Is oneshot for usage with the kiss esc an possible request with baseflight and naze32?

timecop

Post by timecop »

overpriced european esc is NOT allowed to be used with naze, period.
connect it at your own risk.

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

timecop wrote:overpriced european esc is NOT allowed to be used with naze, period.
connect it at your own risk.

KISS 12A is about twice the price of your 12A ESCs. I don't think thats too high a price if they are as good as advertised.

timecop

Post by timecop »

They also don't come with any wires, require soldering, and as you said, here's the real problem:
as good as advertised

Frank

Post by Frank »

Oh, i know of fc´s that also might still need soldering :) I´m sure you´ll get them with wires if you are willing to pay for it. But no problem, in this hobby I like to decide which wires I´m using.
But ok, those fc´s aren´t that pricey if you know where to buy. But a naze32 is also sold for more than 10000 yen in europe... so, everything is a bit more expensive.
"As good as advertised", well, we´ll see. But the advertising seems quite technical compared to tons of other rc stuff that has been imported directly from NASA.
At least they are definitly lighter and smaller than the average 12A simonK ESC, so at least one point for them. The other stuff, well, most people aren´t even able to tell the difference between a simonkESC and a non-simonkESC during their cool gps-based flights.

strudel

Post by strudel »

Hi guys,

I have a little problem with my mini hex. It wants to drift forward and to the right VERY strongly (say 10-20 degrees) when I switch on autolevel / horizon mode.

When I fly in acro / rate / it is perfectly fine.

I have landed and applied the trimming procedure outline in this forum (land disarm up throttle hear beep then tap elev and aileron for each step of compensation in opposite direction beep etc).

I have tried 20 steps and the result is minor.

It is a drift, but so strong it is actually a pitching forward and to right enough degrees that you see it in action, when activate autolevel mode, that it will immediately pitch foward and right ...

Can anyone recommend a course of action for debugging and solving this? I love this board and I can fly it, but I am not sure what should be the next step. I have calibrated the ESCs manually to the Rx I am using. I have subsequently used the proper command to rotate the board 90 degrees clockwise (set board_align_yaw = 90). Etc ... I have used the midpoints as suggested (mine is intentionally a little off, am using a Futaba and the pots at neutral settled at 1509 or thereabouts) If anyone can please advise, I would be very grateful.

Not sure where to start ... Do you think it is something to do with rotating the board? - so does that mean I have to recalibrate the ESC's again - but this time in Baseflight?

Grateful for any practical advice,

Kind regards,

Strudel

Entering CLI
I Mode, type 'exit' to return, or 'help'

# dump
Current Config: Copy everything below here...
aux 0 8
aux 1 66
aux 2 4
aux 3 0
aux 4 0
aux 5 64
aux 6 0
aux 7 0
aux 8 0
aux 9 0
aux 10 0
aux 11 64
aux 12 0
aux 13 0
aux 14 0
aux 15 0
aux 16 0
aux 17 0
aux 18 0
aux 19 0
aux 20 0
mixer HEX6X
feature -PPM
feature -VBAT
feature -INFLIGHT_ACC_CAL
feature -SERIALRX
feature -MOTOR_STOP
feature -SERVO_TILT
feature -SOFTSERIAL
feature -LED_RING
feature -GPS
feature -FAILSAFE
feature -SONAR
feature -TELEMETRY
feature -POWERMETER
feature -VARIO
feature -3D
feature PPM
feature VBAT
feature MOTOR_STOP
feature GPS
map AETR1234
set looptime = 2800
set emf_avoidance = 1
set midrc = 1519
set minthrottle = 1150
set maxthrottle = 1850
set mincommand = 1000
set mincheck = 1100
set maxcheck = 1900
set deadband3d_low = 1406
set deadband3d_high = 1514
set neutral3d = 1460
set deadband3d_throttle = 50
set motor_pwm_rate = 400
set servo_pwm_rate = 50
set retarded_arm = 0
set flaps_speed = 0
set fixedwing_althold_dir = 1
set reboot_character = 82
set serial_baudrate = 115200
set softserial_baudrate = 9600
set softserial_1_inverted = 0
set softserial_2_inverted = 0
set gps_type = 1
set gps_baudrate = 0
set serialrx_type = 0
set telemetry_provider = 0
set telemetry_port = 0
set telemetry_switch = 0
set vbatscale = 110
set currentscale = 400
set currentoffset = 0
set multiwiicurrentoutput = 0
set vbatmaxcellvoltage = 43
set vbatmincellvoltage = 33
set power_adc_channel = 0
set align_gyro = 0
set align_acc = 0
set align_mag = 0
set align_board_roll = 0
set align_board_pitch = 0
set align_board_yaw = 90
set yaw_control_direction = 1
set acc_hardware = 0
set max_angle_inclination = 500
set moron_threshold = 32
set gyro_lpf = 42
set gyro_cmpf_factor = 600
set gyro_cmpfm_factor = 250
set pid_controller = 0
set deadband = 0
set yawdeadband = 3
set alt_hold_throttle_neutral = 40
set alt_hold_fast_change = 1
set throttle_correction_value = 0
set throttle_correction_angle = 800
set rc_rate = 90
set rc_expo = 65
set thr_mid = 50
set thr_expo = 0
set roll_pitch_rate = 0
set yaw_rate = 0
set tpa_rate = 0
set tpa_breakpoint = 1500
set failsafe_delay = 10
set failsafe_off_delay = 200
set failsafe_throttle = 1200
set failsafe_detect_threshold = 985
set rssi_aux_channel = 0
set yaw_direction = 1
set tri_unarmed_servo = 1
set gimbal_flags = 1
set acc_lpf_factor = 4
set accxy_deadband = 40
set accz_deadband = 40
set acc_unarmedcal = 1
set acc_trim_pitch = 0
set acc_trim_roll = 0
set baro_tab_size = 21
set baro_noise_lpf = 0.600
set baro_cf_vel = 0.985
set baro_cf_alt = 0.965
set mag_declination = 1230
set gps_pos_p = 11
set gps_pos_i = 0
set gps_pos_d = 0
set gps_posr_p = 20
set gps_posr_i = 8
set gps_posr_d = 45
set gps_nav_p = 14
set gps_nav_i = 20
set gps_nav_d = 80
set gps_wp_radius = 200
set nav_controls_heading = 1
set nav_speed_min = 100
set nav_speed_max = 300
set nav_slew_rate = 30
set p_pitch = 50
set i_pitch = 53
set d_pitch = 32
set p_roll = 48
set i_roll = 50
set d_roll = 32
set p_yaw = 95
set i_yaw = 60
set d_yaw = 0
set p_alt = 40
set i_alt = 25
set d_alt = 60
set p_level = 110
set i_level = 10
set d_level = 100
set p_vel = 120
set i_vel = 0
set d_vel = 0

#

io53

Post by io53 »

It support: Have you calibrated the accelerometer?

akcom

Post by akcom »

Hi all, running into a problem here. I just received my acro naze32 rev5. I've downloaded the most recent silabs CP210x USB to UART bridge VCP drivers from their website and I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I just soldered on the header pins then connected the board via USB to two different windows computers and both times had the same error:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Windows informs me that the device was not recognized. I'm really hoping I didn't fuck up the board when I soldered it. When it starts up the lights blink rapidly then the blue LED is solid and the rest are off. If I tilt the board, the green LED blinks. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Michael van der hoek

Post by Michael van der hoek »

small question over here,

Can you use the feature Servo_Tilt and GPS at the same time when the receiver is PWM?
If so, how can i hook it up? I think im stuck because i miss 2 connections.

timecop

Post by timecop »

um, it would be same?
you're losing 2 RC inputs on PWM receiver, but servotilt + quad will work.

Michael van der hoek

OH wait, how dumb of me, GPS uses RC input and Servo tilt uses output channel.
So i only lose aux 3 and 4.

haha, so stupid :D

And i have to use PPM to get my aux 3 and 4 back right? But my receiver isnt PPM. can this be modded somehow? Its an Corona receiver 72Mhz

timecop

Post by timecop »

move to something less ancient.

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

Michael van der hoek wrote:OH wait, how dumb of me, GPS uses RC input and Servo tilt uses output channel.

And i have to use PPM to get my aux 3 and 4 back right? But my receiver isnt PPM. can this be modded somehow? Its an Corona receiver 72Mhz

You can find PPM encoders in many RC stores around.

Do not know if it will be a problem. Naze32 is also running at 72mhz. Look into emf_avoidance setting in Baseflight.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Michael van der hoek wrote:OH wait, how dumb of me, GPS uses RC input and Servo tilt uses output channel.

Corona old FM synthesizer RX have a PPM signal inside the PCB that could be used.

Else ... just few diode and 1 pull down resistor will convert any FM RX into PPM ... Else there are micro Arduino board doing the PPM encoding for just 5$

Anyhow ... you must use a Naze32 inside an airplane ... I don't see any sense on using FM on the limited space of a multicopter. On RC airplane FM do still have some sense.

pjman

Post by pjman »

So I got my Naze32 Acro today and hooked it up. What a difference. Took off first time - stock PIDS and was smooth as silk. So nice to fly but it was a little docile for me. I decided to up the RC rate to 1.4 which made it a lot more fun. I was testing out horizon mode doing some flips - makes it so easy. I ended up having a problem where I did my mate did I think 3 flips in a row and everything shut down - crash ensued.

We had motor_stop enabled and I was unsure if he accidentally put the throttle to zero so I rebuilt it and disabled motor_stop. I flew again and dropped the throttle to zero to see what would happen. The first time it was fine but the second time the same thing happened - when I throttled back up I had no response. I'm thinking either we both disarmed in the sky (doubt it as we have never done it before) or there is a problem with a BEC or something. Gonna pull it all apart and check everything. I'm sure it wasn't failsafe as I have an LRS on there and have set it to mid on all channels - tested it ok.

Have to say I'm super impressed with the Naze's performance. Can't wait to get the Baro version and setup GPS on it.

Edit - Just a thought - is it possible to record the graphs etc in baseflight to see if I can locate the issue? Just thinking if I replace the broken prop and the hover at a lower alt it might show up the issue.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Something is wrong then with horizon mode. You're not the first reporting that.

pjman

Post by pjman »

Really? Angle mode is fine then? I'll just use that and switch when I need to.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

scrat wrote:Something is wrong then with horizon mode. You're not the first reporting that.

It sounds hard to believe that TimeCop could have add a bug on baseflight on a basic function of MultiWii that is working since quite some time

pjman

Post by pjman »

I'll keep looking for other causes then.

Michael van der hoek

e_lm_70 wrote:

Corona old FM synthesizer RX have a PPM signal inside the PCB that could be used.

Else ... just few diode and 1 pull down resistor will convert any FM RX into PPM ... Else there are micro Arduino board doing the PPM encoding for just 5$

Anyhow ... you must use a Naze32 inside an airplane ... I don't see any sense on using FM on the limited space of a multicopter. On RC airplane FM do still have some sense.

Nope, using it on my quad. i'm using 2,6 GHz for my video RX so i cant use it for rc control.
But i experience a lot of trouble with the 2,4 GHz so i just ordered a 5,8Ghz set.

Then i can switch to 2,4 GHz rc control!

Other question, the naze can be used as a stand alone gimball controller. Is this with using servo's or brushless motors?

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Servo Only ... brushless gimbal have also "power" FET for control the motors.

akcom

Post by akcom »

I apologize if this is a dumb question. I have my naze32 acro hooked up via USB. Will it supply 5v power to the receiver connection while powered by USB or only when powered by battery?

Also for anyone that was experiencing a similar problem (error code 43 on windows) while connecting their naze, use a better USB cord. That fixed the problem for me. It sounds silly but its true. The equivalent problem in osx is diagnosed by opening the terminal and typing "sudo dmesg | grep USB" and if you see the following, you know the cable is probably at fault:

Code: Select all

mbpro:~ akcom$ sudo dmesg | grep USB
Password:
USBF:    23110.732    The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfd100000)
USBF:    23113.728    The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
USBF:    23114.572    The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfd100000)
USBF:    23117.969    The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
USBF:    23118.795    The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfd100000)
USBF:    23119.624    The IOUSBFamily gave up enumerating a USB device after 10 retries.  (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfd100000)
USBF:    23119.624    The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
USBF:    24918.230    AppleUSBEHCI::DoControlTransfer sync request on workloop thread.  Use async!
USBF:    24918.245    AppleUSBEHCI::DoControlTransfer sync request on workloop thread.  Use async!
mbpro:~ akcom$

timecop

Post by timecop »

No, plugging in USB doesn't power receiver.

flighttime

Post by flighttime »

Hi Guys,
I recently got my NAZE32 rev5 (from Bolt) and after getting it all going via base flight and updating the firmware and doing a calibration etc I noticed something happening to my yaw data.
Basically when I leave the quad connected and stationary, I noticed that it appeared to be yawing to the right slowly (about 1deg/4sec) so I ran the calibration again but it still does it.
I checked the raw data in base flight and yes it appears to show an almost constant -0.25 (upto -0.70) degrees/sec on the Z axis ???
I re flashed and re calibrated but all to no avail, it still does it ?

As there is no Z axis trim in base flight I have only been able to minimise it with stick trim on the TX (which I don't love).
Any thoughts or ideas on how to fix/remove the yaw ? is it normal ? Anyone else notice this ?

It seems to fly ok but does still seem to drift a bit in yaw in flight.
Cheers

theailer

Post by theailer »

Do you calibrate it near your computer? Might be a magnetic field around your computer or escs. But this would not affect rate/manual mode I think