Naze32 hardware discussion thread

e_lm_70

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by e_lm_70 »

copterrichie wrote:Maybe of no interest however, there were a bunch of crappy cheap MPU6050 on the market. Had a few failures myself.

I still have to find a defective 6050 module from my eBay shopping (30+ order, always from the cheapest eBay supplier) ... except for possibly my own fault that one module lost one of the two pull up resistor ... and I had to resolder it (actually since I lost the micro resistor, I did solder a full size one :mrgreen: ) ...

Still if the i2c bus is defected, baseflight will not react to any GUI command ... so either there is a problem on the i2c line or the 6050 has some issue.

One of the solution in case is just remove the onboard 6050 chip .. make sure the i2c line are fine and properly connected to the CPU ... and use an external 6050 module over i2c ... this is more simple then resolder a defective 6050 ... but if you have a hot air soldering gun ... replace the 6050 should not be a big issue ... but first ... I guess it is needed to check the i2c bus if it is not messed up by some other reasons.

Snoopw111

Post by Snoopw111 »

I just want to say Thanks to timecop for his hard work, i've been following his work for some time now but only now join this forum because many times on different forum i see that he does get a hard time with others due to how he is and he says exactly what he thinks, and many times there is no thanks to his work, I bought a Arco naze 32 a few months ago don't know why really but was struggling to find a fc to work with me on my mini-H quad until I decide to try the ArcoNaze32 in it and BANG I felt at one with it from the first take off, Thanks buddy for such a simple and perfect board, I may not agree with everything you say but I'm with you on the work you put in to get this fc to where it is, keep it up bro. Well done
just want to share my first flight with this fc with you man

http://youtu.be/aYa3X-2BDbE

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

timecop wrote:No, customs didn't like $10k worth of components declared as $100.
So stuff is delayed until midnext week.

I will try your site a few times today :D. hopefully will be able to grab one

seibernator

Post by seibernator »

For anyone flying with an Acro Naze in a Mini H quad - is there a setting I can play with in Baseflight Configurator to stop my quad from losing altitude when applying yaw?

When turning 180 degrees the quad drops without any change in the throttle. I realize that in order for the quad to turn that the two diagonally opposite motors spin up to produce the torqueing effect so that it can turn. Is there anything I can set to prevent the lose of altitude?

Thanks.

PS: This is a great little FC - absolutely rock solid :D

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

seibernator wrote:For anyone flying with an Acro Naze in a Mini H quad - is there a setting I can play with in Baseflight Configurator to stop my quad from losing altitude when applying yaw?

When turning 180 degrees the quad drops without any change in the throttle. I realize that in order for the quad to turn that the two diagonally opposite motors spin up to produce the torqueing effect so that it can turn. Is there anything I can set to prevent the lose of altitude?

Thanks.

PS: This is a great little FC - absolutely rock solid :D

I don't have enough knowledge here, however here's my take
if your quad is underpowered i.e. you don't have 1:2 weight to thrust ratio and do an aggressive yaw movement you quad will not be able to hold altitude.
so maybe worth checking.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

the controller is back in stock.
there is a price drop on the acro $21.

timecop

Post by timecop »

price drop? what? and you mean it WAS in stock, cuz it aint anymore.

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

Damm... we now need to give a kidney to get a Naze32 :(

DIE_KUH

Post by DIE_KUH »

timecop wrote:price drop? what? and you mean it WAS in stock, cuz it aint anymore.

Damn. I already had the feeling I would be missing this little window of opportunity... do you know when they'll be in stock again, and if there'll be more units next time?

timecop

Post by timecop »

I just cant deal with shipping 50+ individual orders a day, its taking up too much of my time.
I put out around 10-15/day and once they're gone, they're gone.
There's some available now, go grab them.

DIE_KUH

Post by DIE_KUH »

Thanks, I was already wondering how you were handling all the orders.
I was desperate enough to refresh the store page anyway and already ordered. ;)

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

Cool, thanks for that. Got some.
My friends were using the opportunity to basically strip me out of gear in exchange for a Naze32. =)

JaZzMaN251

Post by JaZzMaN251 »

I just finished my build and I'm experiencing some strange ticks/hickups on my motors.

Check the motor output of the Naze32:

I've changed all ESC's already, same result. If I test the motors with the faders in Baseflight, I get smooth curves, no problem there.
Once I arm and control with my transmitter, I get the ticks/hickups (vibrations?)

This Naze32 board came with Spiritfly printed instead of AfroFlight, just for your information.

Any help would be really appreciated.

This is my 4th multicopter with naze32, every other one is setup the same way with the same transmitter, no problems in the past.

Edit: Just checked another Naze32 board, same problem.
It seems to pick up some strange data which cause some motors to spike...
When the ticks/hickups occur, I can't see any strange data on the sensor graphs.

ABL

Post by ABL »

Autolevel is off? You're testing in gyro-only mode?

JaZzMaN251

Post by JaZzMaN251 »

Auto-level is on, but this also occurs in manual mode...

I thought the peaks were coming from vibrations on the board, but I tested without the motors powered.

So this is just giving a bit of throttle and moving the hexa around, without the motors being powered (so not turning).

I was thinking about spikes from my transmitter, but in the graphs in the receiver tab, everything looks smooth and steady.

I'm really puzzled... :|

theailer

Post by theailer »

A guy from another forum had sorta the same issues as you and it turned out to be a faulty receiver.

JaZzMaN251

Post by JaZzMaN251 »

I just checked with the receiver from my Mini-H quad, and get the same results... The receiver I used first, came out of another Mini-H quad I've been flying around with for some time without problems.

Do you mind telling me what forumtopic that was? Any help is welcome!

ahmedallibhoy

Post by ahmedallibhoy »

Does anyone know where I can find the Naze32? It's out of stock everywhere

indur

Post by indur »

JaZzMaN251 wrote:I just checked with the receiver from my Mini-H quad, and get the same results... The receiver I used first, came out of another Mini-H quad I've been flying around with for some time without problems.

Are you using UHF radio with telemetry enabled receiver?

theailer

Post by theailer »

Sry. It was on a Swedish forum.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I had glitches on my Naze to.
It was my 433mhz 3dr telemetry who was the cause.
I changed frequency and it was gone.
Not sure if it was Frsky or the Naze that was sensitive.

JaZzMaN251

Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by JaZzMaN251 »

I'm using Futaba Fasst 2.4 the regular way, no. ppm or sbus.

I am using the Naze32 on a blackout pdb but that shouldn't give any interference I think?

JaZzMaN251

Post by JaZzMaN251 »

After some more testing, I decided to get a working receiver-naze32 combo out of my Mini-H quad.
I put it on the hex and everything works perfectly!!!

This after I checked two naze32 I recently bought (May 2014) with the same receiver (and another one too!).
The only thing that I can imagine that is different is the firmware.

Strange... Any thoughts on why this happens? I'm using Fasst receivers R6008HS and R6208SB.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Why dont you update both to latest firmware??
also I wonder if this is related to the PWM issues people had with PWM receivers and may build firmware.
or maybe the capture filter patch that was added?

JaZzMaN251

Post by JaZzMaN251 »

So I installed the Naze32 board that worked on my hexa, since I wanted to complete it and fly it ;)

I tried the other boards on my Mini-H and it also gave me ticks/hickups.
I updated the one of the two boards that gave me issues to the latest firmware and tried it again and suddenly the issue seems to have disappeared (at least on my Mini-H, didn't test again on the hexa).

Thanks for the suggestion to update the firmware... Really obvious, but I was going through so much testing/replacing/frustration.
I'll try the other one too when I have the time.

Apparently this was an issue that people had before? I searched quite some time, but only found issues with UHF signals.

Thanks again!

hellcop

Reverse Motors option like in Open Pilot GCS?

Post by hellcop »

Hi there, new to the forums, but not to the Naze. Had a quick question that should be an easy one,
in Open Pilot GCS, there is an option box that you can 'tick' to 'Reverse Motor Direction', even though, it is not actually reversing the motor direction, but in some way correcting the YAW so it knows how to compensate for actual incorrect motors that are wired.

My first CC3D build was my first ever DIY build, and I messed up the motor directions (they were opposite) my temporary solution was to just swap my props, and tick that 'reverse motor direction' option in GCS, and all was good.

I wanted to know if a similar option existed for the Naze32, I got everything setup and realized, When I try to hover, my quad spins very fast counterclockwise. I have checked the board orientation ,and in the configurator, all directions are correct.

If not, I'll just desolder the front and back arm on each side, and swap those, since i am using a quad w/ a PDB (not a hard swap) but just wanted to know if a similar feature or commandline can be input to make this happen.

P.S. I've switched to the Naze from a CC3D, and the Naze is THE SHIT, on the Blackout Mini H. A beautiful thing.

hellcop

Post by hellcop »

I'll answer my own question:

Motor Reverse command CAN be done through the command line interface:

Input EITHER (both not required) of these 2 commands you'd like (whatever works for you)

1:

mixer CUSTOM
cmix 1 1.000 -1.000 1.000 1.000
cmix 2 1.000 -1.000 -1.000 -1.000
cmix 3 1.000 1.000 1.000 -1.000
cmix 4 1.000 1.000 -1.000 1.000
cmix 5 0 0 0 0

2. set yaw_direction = -1

These solutions were supplied thankfully by OP forum users 'FedorCommander' and 'apott69' -- so much thanks to their help w/ my issue.

anthonycroberts

Post by anthonycroberts »

I may have fried a Naze32, but want to confirm with the expert(s) that I'm not overlooking something obvious...

Not sure how it happened; flew fine one day, didn't work the next day and seems to overheat.

Symptoms:
Microcontroller gets quite hot (87+ degC)
Serial I/O doesn't work (via USB or rx/tx pins) -- not able to connect to baseflight or flash firmware (tried after shorting boot pins also)
Board draws ~0.5A at 5V
Board appears to initialize fine. I can arm it with the throttle/yaw stick and the light changes accordingly, but there is no output signal on the ESC pins.

Tests I've tried:
Probing for shorts with my multimeter
Disconnecting all external connections except for power
Checking voltages on pins are appropriate

I may try to plug into the jtag port when I have more time; I have a Keil jtag around somewhere, but it may not be compatible with the cortex cores.
Any thoughts?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Overheat = you're done, stop hooking up 5V stuff to pins.
Fixing = also annoying unless you enjoy melting header pins.

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

...and 5 days later I have my two Naze32 FC's!

TC you rock! :D

PS: I got a dual-core STM32 FC

pjman

Post by pjman »

Hey guys - just a quick question for the experts. I have been using the KK FC's for a while with varying results. I had a HK Multiwii Pro board and have just started playing with that FC - again with varying results. Everyone I see raves about the Naze32 and I will order one shortly however for the guys that have used the older boards - is it worth scraping the HK Pro and just waiting for the Naze? I only started using the Pro as I thought the GPS hold etc would be cool but I haven't got that working yet. Also RTL sounds handy. I tried Megapirate on there but only one switch is active so have to muck around with mixing to get the different flight modes.

Any opinions would be handy.

Thanks

Brenden

Edit - got a hex now with a gimbal and gopro - looking to do slower flight with good quality video.
Last edited by pjman on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

It sounds like you should scrap all the opensores shit and go straight for DJI A2M or Naza Lite V2+.

pjman

Post by pjman »

Seriously? I'll still get a Naze but if you reckon DJI I'll give it a go.

strepto

Post by strepto »

He's trolling you dude... you might want to read back quite a few pages in this thread ;)

neilyboy

Post by neilyboy »

Thanks for the great board TC! Glad I got another order in have a mini frame just waiting on your wonderful controller. Keep up the good work man!
Neil

timecop

Post by timecop »

Haha, you must have been reloading the shit out of the site.
I just went through my pile of qcfail stuff and fixed it all up, which is what the extra stock was from.
Still waiting on parts, ETA for larger stuff is mid-next week.

neilyboy

Post by neilyboy »

Honestly I was refreshing the shit out of it a couple days ago. I gave up and figured you were either low on inventory or had some issues getting components.came here and read about the customs struggles a few posts back. Then figured ah hell I'll check one last time and thought what the shit this must be a mistake there is an add to cart button ;) anyway good stuff buddy thanks again for everything ya do. I for one appreciate the time you spend to satisfy my hobby needs. Have a good one.
Neil

Unclefesteruk

Post by Unclefesteruk »

Ok folks looking for a bit on help, just got a new Naze32 board, got it all connected, using frsky fast system, when i power transmitter and connect the battery i get the first tones from the speed controllers, and nothing else, but if i connect to baseflight then connect the battery i get the full tones from the speed controllers and all works fine. but the second i disconnect from baseflight and re connect the battery i am back to single tones on the speed controllers and nothing works.

New to Quad setups. :)

neilyboy

Post by neilyboy »

If you haven't already I would checkout the video posted by mochaboy on YouTube. Watching that video alone should get you in the air. Let us know if that helped or not.
Neil

neilyboy

Post by neilyboy »

.Joel

Post by .Joel »

Is there any disadvantage in using the KVTeam OSD to configure the Naze32 out in the field opposed to exclusively configuring it via Baseflight?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Other than teh fact that it runs on minimosd which is known to fry things at random, no.

.Joel

Post by .Joel »

timecop wrote:Other than teh fact that it runs on minimosd which is known to fry things at random, no.

Thanks timecop, warning noted ;)

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

pjman wrote:Hey guys - just a quick question for the experts. I have been using the KK FC's for a while with varying results. I had a HK Multiwii Pro board and have just started playing with that FC - again with varying results. Everyone I see raves about the Naze32 and I will order one shortly however for the guys that have used the older boards - is it worth scraping the HK Pro and just waiting for the Naze? I only started using the Pro as I thought the GPS hold etc would be cool but I haven't got that working yet. Also RTL sounds handy. I tried Megapirate on there but only one switch is active so have to muck around with mixing to get the different flight modes.

Thanks

Brenden

Edit - got a hex now with a gimbal and gopro - looking to do slower flight with good quality video.

timecop wrote:It sounds like you should scrap all the opensores shit and go straight for DJI A2M or Naza Lite V2+.

Timecop is right. You do not want a Naze32 and Baseflight will NOT be the flightcontroller for your AP hexacopter. It wont hover, it wont hold GPS position and it certainly will not return to home.

Your best bet is to just spend the money on DJI, or keep working on that multiWii Pro.

kilby

Post by kilby »

Personally I would rather have a look APM in preference to a Naza of you want all the RTL, waypoints and all that extra stuff.

Ì know it's probably not popular but it works nicely in my fat 450.

If you want to throw a machine about and basically have fu. Flying manually the Naze32 is the best I have met.

Edited because I had been entirely unclear
Last edited by kilby on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

pjman wrote:Hey guys - just a quick question for the experts. I have been using the KK FC's for a while with varying results. I had a HK Multiwii Pro board and have just started playing with that FC - again with varying results. Everyone I see raves about the Naze32 and I will order one shortly however for the guys that have used the older boards - is it worth scraping the HK Pro and just waiting for the Naze? I only started using the Pro as I thought the GPS hold etc would be cool but I haven't got that working yet. Also RTL sounds handy. I tried Megapirate on there but only one switch is active so have to muck around with mixing to get the different flight modes.

The Naze32 is a great flyer... responsive, feature rich, IMO.

Mixed reviews for GPS assisted flight. If you're looking for waypoint/mission based flight for AP, the Naze32 is probably not the best unless your hex is super stable from weight or your compensating through Tx programming. Get a 250 mini-h and do some tree dodging... :)

Animal60

Post by Animal60 »

A question for the experts on this forum.

It is easy to get the gimbel control from aux channels (Feature servo_tilt).
Is it possible to get camera stabilization on the naze32

I’m trying to have quadx and camera stabilization working at the same time.
Is there a MIX setting or feature needed or do I have to setup some king of custom mix.

Looking forward to all replies

timecop

Post by timecop »

just that.
feature servo_tilt.
motors move by 2 pins down
servos go into M1/M2.
quad motors are in M3/4/5/6.
Then go to servos tab in configurator and enable stuff relevant to gimbal servo direction/gain/etc.
done.

Animal60

Post by Animal60 »

thank you for your reply timecop.
I have used one of the channels to switch a video switch.
I remember reading somewhere if the signal was max or min it disables the stabilization.

all I am trying to do is tilt the camera forward and backward when flying the mini quad it helps in viewing the ground and to be able to see what is in front of you.

Can i use say aux3 for video switch and aux4 for servo tilt ????

I assume if i map a pot in radio to aux4 and adjust servo to center position the servo should move forward and back as i lilt the quad.

I don't seam to have any gain settings..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/akyme69n02ij12e/Servo.jpg

In baseflight

timecop

Post by timecop »

"rate" is gain.
Yes, you can assign as switch. Just like your pic shows.