Naze32 hardware discussion thread

scrat

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by scrat »

Do you mean that then we will set for examp. 11deg 8min like 11,8 in cli?

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

So then I think I should set 11deg 8min positive too 1108 in cli . anyone with knowledge on this wish to comment to help me out?
Last edited by QAV400 on Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

scrat wrote:Do you mean that then we will set for examp. 11deg 8min like 11,8 in cli?

right, the capability is there i just havent bothered changing it.
its really not user friendly wiht fixdpoint

larzac

Post by larzac »

in the meantime, can you add more examples and their values to the code/wiki ?
-1°2' => -102
10°18' => 1018
1°18' => 118
0°5' => 5
0°50' => 50

are those values even correct ?

might even be easier to add mag_dec_deg and mag_dec_sec :-)

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Yes please more examples, the WIKI was vague on the subject

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

larzac wrote:in the meantime, can you add more examples and their values to the code/wiki ?
-1°2' => -102
10°18' => 1018
1°18' => 118
0°5' => 5
0°50' => 50

THe thing to remember that there are 60 minutes in one degree- so you need to convert to decimal degrees. In above examples:

-1°2' = -1 degree + 2/60 = 1.03 -> -103
10°18' = 10 degrees + 18/60 = 10.3 -> 1030
1°18' = 1 degree + 18/60 = 1.3 -> 130
0°5' = 0 degrees + 5/60 = 0.08 -> 8
0°50' = 0 degrees + 50/60 = 0.83 -> 83

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

Hi all,

First post here, so please be gentle.

I have an issue with my Rev 5 Naze32 FunFly Full version. It was working just as expected as shown by this quick video I took of my first flight with it. http://youtu.be/66xiJqJg-pI

Now, though, I believe its the Baseflight Chrome app, that may be the culprit, it locks up every time I am configuring the board. (havent been able to fly it now, because I cannot get all the setting checked and am not comfortable it not the board freezing). After about 4-5 minutes of being connected, with no apparent pattern of what clicks are causing it, the Baseflight app freezes, all tabs are pure white blank when I click through them, and I cannot get any response.
When this happens I leave the cord connected, click Disconnect in Baseflight, then Connect, and it will not connect again, just times out. UNTIL I unplug the cord, and reconnect from scratch. It loads all data, and 4 minutes later, again, blank white screens for each tab.
I am running Windows 8.0 laptop, latest Baseflight version, and updated the board through it to the latest online firmware version.

I connect it via usb, nothing other than essenatial items plugged in, (no bluetooth, no gps, no telemetry). Only receiver, and motors, same as in the video.
The date of the video will maybe give you an idea of the Baseflight release version, and firmware version (I am not sure, I didn't pay very close attention, I simply loaded what was released at that time).

* What could be the issue?
* Is a piece of hardware going (gone) bad?
* Could it be the software, I haven't tried multiple uninstalls and reinstalls of Baseflight yet.

Any advice is appreciated.

And tc, thanks for this hardware, I really enjoyed it while it was flying.

Ninja Edit: When/if I do add a GPS, how do I enter mag_declination of +10° 40' EAST (1004 ?)

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Official MW Java GUI for 2.3 works perfectly fine on basefligh/Naze32 ... did you try it ?

I find Chrome apps a bit odd for my taste ...

For some more advanced feature , as far as I know, you have to use CLI.
Mag declination is on official MW 2.3 Java GUI, and in CLI as well

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

+10° 40' EAST

10 + 40* (1/60) = 10.67
+10.7 is close enough.

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

scrat wrote:Use this map: http://magnetic-declination.com/

And click on your exact location and see mag declination and set it in CLI.

With recent Baseflight Configurator updates, mag declination can be entered through the GUI... I think it's on the first page. Unfortunately, the format differs from the CLI input format.

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

e_lm_70 wrote:Official MW Java GUI for 2.3 works perfectly fine on basefligh/Naze32 ... did you try it ?

I find Chrome apps a bit odd for my taste ...

I have been thinking it could be the Chrome app, and will try the Official MW Java GUI tonight when I get home.
It will be such a relief if the board isn't borked, and its just the app that was brain-farting. (I was gonna order another Naze32 anyway, but this would be better)

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

PatrikE wrote:+10° 40' EAST

10 + 40* (1/60) = 10.67
+10.7 is close enough.

I don't have the Baseflight app right in front of me now, but, would I enter this on the first tab, in the Mag Declination box as you typed it (10.7)?

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

e_lm_70 wrote:Official MW Java GUI for 2.3 works perfectly fine on basefligh/Naze32 ... did you try it ?

Is it the WinGUI from this page? http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/downloads/list

timecop

Post by timecop »

No the java gui - https://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list the one thats inside multiwii release zips

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

timecop wrote:No the java gui - https://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list the one thats inside multiwii release zips

Right.

I'm using what I believe is 2.3 release: MultiWii_2_3.zip .. inside you find the Java MW Gui both for Windows and Mac.

MultiWii_dev_2014_01_14__r1648.zip ... for me sound a beta or work in progress ... so I did not even bother to download it.

Personally I find way better the Java GUI then not the Crome App for Baseflight ... the luck of graphical representation of the quad, with pitch, roll and heading ... is a huge miss on the Crome App

hkubota

Latest firmware with serious bug (Apr 30 2014 firmware)?

Post by hkubota »

[...]

First problem: When testing the receiver signals in the GUI, the GUI locked down. Nothing but a power down of the Naze worked. But then it worked. Happened twice during congfiguration.
After all was configured (and yes, I reset all variables), I was going to fly a bit. Careful at first as the parameters might have changed their effect.
Was hovering for 20 sec, then wanted to move slightly left and the quad went right side up and it did not stop that rotation until it hit the ground.

I could not disarm. All props were spinning. The only way to stop them was disconnecting the battery.
[...]

Moved to the 32 bit software section under "NAZE32+latest baseflight frozes on PC and in the air"

Harald
Last edited by hkubota on Tue May 06, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Post by scrat »

HFMan wrote:
larzac wrote:in the meantime, can you add more examples and their values to the code/wiki ?
-1°2' => -102
10°18' => 1018
1°18' => 118
0°5' => 5
0°50' => 50

THe thing to remember that there are 60 minutes in one degree- so you need to convert to decimal degrees. In above examples:

-1°2' = -1 degree + 2/60 = 1.03 -> -103
10°18' = 10 degrees + 18/60 = 10.3 -> 1030
1°18' = 1 degree + 18/60 = 1.3 -> 130
0°5' = 0 degrees + 5/60 = 0.08 -> 8
0°50' = 0 degrees + 50/60 = 0.83 -> 83

I didn't know that for naze. I know for multiwii that you must convert values. Ok so what is for example 2deg and 9min = 2 degrees + 9/60 = 2.15 = 215?
Last edited by scrat on Tue May 06, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Post by scrat »

KC_703 wrote:
scrat wrote:Use this map: http://magnetic-declination.com/

And click on your exact location and see mag declination and set it in CLI.

With recent Baseflight Configurator updates, mag declination can be entered through the GUI... I think it's on the first page. Unfortunately, the format differs from the CLI input format.

Yes. In CLI you can put right value for example: 209 but when using first page in conf, you can set just 2 = 200. so it is not ok.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

2.09 or 2 ... it could be to a rounding in the GUI ... also 2.09 or 2.00 will not change a bit for the RTH and PH

scrat

Post by scrat »

I'm using baseflight conf.

seibernator

Post by seibernator »

Hello all

I have a little problem with my build I hope one of you can help me with. I am basically trying to get telemetry to work so that I can get the voltage reading from my Mini H quad to my little Flytron LCD screen I plug into the back of my Frsky TX.

The reading for the voltage supplied to the receiver and the RSSI readings are coming through OK but not the voltage of the lipo on the quad. As you can see in the picture below I already have a supply from the battery already connected to the battery voltage monitor pin on the Naze32 and I can see the voltage reading correctly in Baseflight Configurator so I know that it is working.

I also already have VBAT and TELEMETRY enabled on the little FC board as well. There aren't very many tips out there that show you how you should connect your Frsky D4R-II receiver to the Naze32 but I assumed you would somehow use the already assigned Frsky telemetry port on the Naze board.

I am confused which ports I should use, should it be the telemetry pins in the middle of the board or the Frsky telemetry pins next to the buzzer pins? I have tried both and nothing seems to work.

What wires should I use out of the Frsky receiver to connect to the Naze and where should they go? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help, especially from anyone out there that has got this working. I have been through the search function on this forum and I am seeing conflicting information. I am just running the bog-standard version 2.3 firmware on the Naze.
Attachments
CIMG2193.JPG
CIMG2192.JPG

timecop

Post by timecop »

You need to ARM and wait a few seconds >= 5 before all the data on frsky LCD is updated. Battery telemetry is not transmitted every cycle.

seibernator

Post by seibernator »

Thanks, I will try that again. Could you please confirm for me how the receiver should be hooked up to the Naze board?

I am using the green RX lead from the receiver to connect up to the telemetry TX pin in the middle of the board. The black ground lead is attached to any ground pin on the board.

I have enabled VBAT and TELEMETRY within the CLI. Is there anything else I need to do?

Nothing seems to come through even when the board is armed for more than 5 seconds. Has anyone else got this working properly for Frsky? Thanks.

timecop

Post by timecop »

It connects to frsky telemetry pin in the corner near usb.

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

timecop wrote:No the java gui - https://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list the one thats inside multiwii release zips

OK, Thanks timecop. I got the GUI from the page you linked. Interesting the 64 bit version will not launch on my system (I do run Win7 64 bit) but I was able to run the 32 bit version of the GUI.
Now the waiting game, getting home again tonight to plug in and test the Naze32 again.

I'm seeing other people, suggesting its not a one-off situation, saying that their boards are locking up as well, and mentioning a previous version of the firmware does not.
(I did find a way to get a previous revision of the hex and will try restoring the board to functioning without locking up)
Last edited by Naze_Moto on Tue May 06, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seibernator

Post by seibernator »

Thanks

I have tried exactly as you have recommended but it still does not appear to work properly. Here are a list of the settings from a dump of the config that are related to serial port or telemetry configuration. Are any of them incorrect? Am I missing out any other commands?

feature PPM
feature VBAT
feature MOTOR_STOP
feature SOFTSERIAL
feature TELEMETRY

set serial_baudrate = 115200
set softserial_baudrate = 9600
set softserial_inverted = 1
set serialrx_type = 0
set telemetry_softserial = 1
set telemetry_switch = 1

Here is a photo of how I have wired it up and you can see on the Flytron screen the Frsky telemetry coming through but the smaller set of numbers which represent the battery voltage are wrong. If none of the wires from the Frsky RX are connected to the Naze the same numbers come through so I don't think anything is coming through from the FC board.

Really appreciate any help here, thanks.
Attachments
CIMG2196.JPG

ronin4740

Post by ronin4740 »

Quick question - are older versions of the firmware available anywhere? My Tricopter is rolling right pretty hard after the last flash and no amount of accelerometer roll trim via stick or GUI seems to affect the roll. Was wanting to flash back to the version prior to the one dated 4.30.14 but I can't seem to find it. Think I'll start downloading them and flashing them from a local file going forward.

Anyway, if someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

ronin4740 wrote:Quick question - are older versions of the firmware available anywhere?

This is what another member here confirmed for me, I don't want to step on any toes since tc said there is no way to get a previous version.

Go here:
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... flight.hex

Click on History > Find the date you want > Click on Browse Code (right side) > Click Raw > Select All > Copy to text editor > Save file locally with .hex extension.

I have already done this with the file I want, and will try to manually flash it tonight.

ronin4740

Post by ronin4740 »

Naze_Moto wrote:
This is what another member here confirmed for me, I don't want to step on any toes since tc said there is no way to get a previous version.

Go here:
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... flight.hex

Click on History > Find the date you want > Click on Browse Code (right side) > Click Raw > Select All > Copy to text editor > Save file locally with .hex extension.

I have already done this with the file I want, and will try to manually flash it tonight.

Thanks. I see where the history button is now - that's what I failed to find on my own. With that knowledge I was able to get the second most recent firmware downloaded and will test with it. It's also possible all the crashes and hard landings have borked my FC. Being able to go back to firmware that worked properly for me in attitude and horizon modes will help me troubleshoot.

*edit*

I flashed the firmware and that didn't fix the problem. Starting to think that one of the crashes has killed the accelerometer. I was looking at the raw data graphs, comparing the gyro and accelerometer graphs to one another. If I'm lifting the tail quickly shouldn't I see the same color line move on both graphs?
Attachments
Raw Data.jpg

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

ronin4740 wrote: I was able to get the second most recent firmware downloaded and will test with it. It's also possible all the crashes and hard landings have borked my FC. Being able to go back to firmware that worked properly for me in attitude and horizon modes will help me troubleshoot.

I would suggest going back to about April 5-6 for the hex. I have seen other people state the same issues, and mention this timeframe as a changing point, where the board freezing started to occur. I am going to be doing that tonight, myself. Testing to see which revision of the hex the problems do/don't exist.

...Not sure about the graphs...

ronin4740

Post by ronin4740 »

Naze_Moto wrote:
ronin4740 wrote: I was able to get the second most recent firmware downloaded and will test with it. It's also possible all the crashes and hard landings have borked my FC. Being able to go back to firmware that worked properly for me in attitude and horizon modes will help me troubleshoot.

I would suggest going back to about April 5-6 for the hex. I have seen other people state the same issues, and mention this timeframe as a changing point, where the board freezing started to occur. I am going to be doing that tonight, myself. Testing to see which revision of the hex the problems do/don't exist.

...Not sure about the graphs...

Thanks for the advice. I'll try a few of the firmwares from April 5 and prior and see if it fixes my issue.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

Naze_Moto wrote:I would suggest going back to about April 5-6 for the hex. I have seen other people state the same issues, and mention this timeframe as a changing point, where the board freezing started to occur.

Where did you see other people state the same issues? You joined this forum one day ago, and start spreading this kind of chatter? For the record, I've not had any connectivity issues with any Baseflight or Baseflight Configurator in recent releases, nor have I seen anybody else report it in this forum.

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

HFMan wrote:
Naze_Moto wrote:I would suggest going back to about April 5-6 for the hex. I have seen other people state the same issues, and mention this timeframe as a changing point, where the board freezing started to occur.

Where did you see other people state the same issues? You joined this forum one day ago, and start spreading this kind of chatter? For the record, I've not had any connectivity issues with any Baseflight or Baseflight Configurator in recent releases, nor have I seen anybody else report it in this forum.

Um, you're slightly less a newborn than I am. "Joined" but have been reading a long time, before creating account. (typical internet assumptions... :roll: )

I have read in this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4970 specifically, the same behavior of either the app, or the board locking up.
Citing the date that the behavior changed from nice operation to freezing up for some unknown reason.

I was simply offering suggestions on what to try, to get the board back to functioning again.

BTW, I flashed the full Naze32 tonight with the hex from Feb 20, and have not seen a lockup yet, but has only been a few hours. When previously the board/software (?) would freeze within 4 minutes of the connection.

scrat

Post by scrat »

ronin4740 wrote:Quick question - are older versions of the firmware available anywhere? My Tricopter is rolling right pretty hard after the last flash and no amount of accelerometer roll trim via stick or GUI seems to affect the roll. Was wanting to flash back to the version prior to the one dated 4.30.14 but I can't seem to find it. Think I'll start downloading them and flashing them from a local file going forward.

Anyway, if someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Here you go with version prior to 30.4.2014 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/125 ... 042014.hex

scrat

Post by scrat »

seibernator wrote:Thanks

I have tried exactly as you have recommended but it still does not appear to work properly. Here are a list of the settings from a dump of the config that are related to serial port or telemetry configuration. Are any of them incorrect? Am I missing out any other commands?

feature PPM
feature VBAT
feature MOTOR_STOP
feature SOFTSERIAL
feature TELEMETRY

set serial_baudrate = 115200
set softserial_baudrate = 9600
set softserial_inverted = 1
set serialrx_type = 0
set telemetry_softserial = 1
set telemetry_switch = 1

Here is a photo of how I have wired it up and you can see on the Flytron screen the Frsky telemetry coming through but the smaller set of numbers which represent the battery voltage are wrong. If none of the wires from the Frsky RX are connected to the Naze the same numbers come through so I don't think anything is coming through from the FC board.

Really appreciate any help here, thanks.

I think you have Rx connected wrong...firt row is channel 1 to 4 and second row is from 5 to 8.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Naze_Moto wrote:
HFMan wrote:

Um, you're slightly less a newborn than I am. "Joined" but have been reading a long time, before creating account. (typical internet assumptions... :roll: )

I have read in this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4970 specifically, the same behavior of either the app, or the board locking up.
Citing the date that the behavior changed from nice operation to freezing up for some unknown reason.

I was simply offering suggestions on what to try, to get the board back to functioning again.

BTW, I flashed the full Naze32 tonight with the hex from Feb 20, and have not seen a lockup yet, but has only been a few hours. When previously the board/software (?) would freeze within 4 minutes of the connection.

What revision of Naze32 do you have? I have rev5 - purple and have no lock-up in baseflight configurator or in the air.

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

scrat wrote:What revision of Naze32 do you have? I have rev5 - purple and have no lock-up in baseflight configurator or in the air.

I have the Rev 5, Red version. The software locked up, or the board did.
I experienced this with the Chrome App Baseflight Configurator, with the WINGUI app, and with the Official MW GUI 2.3. Using all of them, after a few minutes, either the software or board would freeze.

I don't know if it freezes in the air, I never trusted it to fly it again, until I got the freezing sorted.

Last night, I flashed to a late February hex, and didn't see any freezing yet. I will continue to bench test it, until I'm satisfied it won't freeze again.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Please post your whole CLI and when status please. I would like to see what you have set.

Naze_Moto

Post by Naze_Moto »

My board is working and I have no freezing when connected to my pc, using Baseflight configurator, or official mw gui 2.3, now.
Although I am sure I can reproduce the freezing situation, so, in which scenario would you like to see my settings?
Actually, thinking about it, it would be the same CLI settings, no matter what. I haven't set anything different, between the freezing and non-freezing scenarios.
Only thing that changed is the hex file I flashed.

scrat

Post by scrat »

I would like to see your CLI settings with BF firmware when your board freezes.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Naze_Moto wrote:My board is working and I have no freezing when connected to my pc, using Baseflight configurator, or official mw gui 2.3, now.
Although I am sure I can reproduce the freezing situation, so, in which scenario would you like to see my settings?
Actually, thinking about it, it would be the same CLI settings, no matter what. I haven't set anything different, between the freezing and non-freezing scenarios.
Only thing that changed is the hex file I flashed.

that's not actually possible as eeprom version would have likely changed and unless you did 'defaults' after each reflash teh results are invalid

ahtiram2725

Post by ahtiram2725 »

hi guys,

i have a question...

I have the naze acro fc and frsky tfr6 and futaba t8fg transmitter.

As per the naze acro fc if my rx is standard, i can use the breakout cable to connect the fc and the rx....

Can you please tell me if i have to use the breakout cable for the frsky tfr6 or is there an alternative method/wire?

creyc

Post by creyc »

The TFR6 does not use PPM, so you will need to use the breakout cable.

ahtiram2725

Post by ahtiram2725 »

if the breakout cable is not available locally, can i use female to female cables?

Truglodite

Post by Truglodite »

timecop, I noticed on your latest boards you didn't put a cap on the regulator bypass pin. The SPX3819 datasheet (nice find BTW!) has a chart that shows ~60uV ripple with a 10nF bypass cap, and ~300uV without. Even 300uV seems small, but if I added a bypass cap would I potentially improve performance of my sensors, cause problems with slower startup, or simply be wasting my time and capacitors?

I have 10nF X7R caps in my bin, but I figured I should ask you before I brick my new board. :)

Kev

timecop

Post by timecop »

It wasn't there because it's not "required" by RT9193 which was the previous reg. SPX3819 move was due to people wanting to run directly off lipo, and I didn't want to do a pcb redo. Yes, you can add the cap and it will probably improve things.

Truglodite

Post by Truglodite »

Thanks tc, yeah I am not really worried about future boards having the cap. I'm used to adding a little extra bling to my aircraft anyways.

I have to add that I'm very impressed how small you made NazeMini... it's even smaller than minimOSD! You could integrate minimOSD hardware on it and it would still probably be smaller than it's big brother. :mrgreen:

Kev

Rob2160

Post by Rob2160 »

Planning to use a Futaba RX on my next quad with Naze 32 - does it matter if the RX is in HS mode?

Or should I use normal mode instead?

kaysee

Help!?

Post by kaysee »

Hi guys. I have this one acronaze32 which only have the blue led lights up when powered.
It worked until i flashed it with latest firmware while forgetting to unplug the lipo from my quad. The flashing process started just fine, then i remember the lipo as the motors making some beeping sound and disconnect the battery. The process ended with stm32 timeout. and i no longer can connect to baseflight conf and only the blue led lights up once the board gets power. No initialization sequence.

What could be wrong? Can it be recover?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRE83-tmN-U