Naze32 hardware discussion thread

scrat

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by scrat »

strepto wrote:
scrat wrote:I have set failsafe with my Rx when out of signal Rx switch to RTH - But I always have BARO, MAG, ACC and GPS Home switched on together. But once I did try without ACC and quad did not do "rapidly return to the ground".

Hmm. Good to know, I guess!

I suppose the moral of the story is, check your failsafe settings thoroughly via switches... all of them, not just RTH... :)

I hope you've seen my picture in previous post of mine? That is how I have set flight modes.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Sjefke wrote:
timecop wrote:Yes, you need to read, a lot.

I'm already doing that in this forum. Any tips where to start? I have a V5 naze.

Yes.

Set like this:

1. feature GPS
2. set gps_type=1
3. set gps_baudrate=0

That is it.

scrat

Post by scrat »

felixrising wrote:Wait, what?!!!!

Are you saying you don't fly with all 8 channels maxed out at 2000uS? Do you even lift?!

Is this post for TC?

timecop

Re: Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

e_lm_70 wrote:
The support for BMP180 for instance is not present, or at least it is not working.

Anyhow, why the default SVN has a precompiled HEX that I can't reproduce with the compilation of the main Makefile ?

uhhhh what?
bmp180 = bmp085 as far as code is concerned and it does work.
why do you think thats on my new afrominis? why would I release something if there was no software support?

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

timecop wrote:
e_lm_70 wrote:
The support for BMP180 for instance is not present, or at least it is not working.

Anyhow, why the default SVN has a precompiled HEX that I can't reproduce with the compilation of the main Makefile ?

uhhhh what?
bmp180 = bmp085 as far as code is concerned and it does work.
why do you think thats on my new afrominis? why would I release something if there was no software support?

All the BMP180 that I tested don't works in the 085 software.

I know the i2c address is same between 085 and 180, but these don't work nor in atmega multiwii as 085 nor in baseflight

Either I got a bunch of bad sensors ... or there is something else

I did download a bmp180 arduino library and only this read the pressure correctly from the bmp180
Have you tested the bmp180 or you assume these are 1:1 compatible with 180?

About afrominis ... where I can get some pre-cook firmware for them ? ... I still have a couple afromini32 from you that I still have to settle in a bird.

timecop

Post by timecop »

e_lm_70 wrote:All the BMP180 that I tested don't works in the 085 software.

I know the i2c address is same between 085 and 180, but these don't work nor in atmega multiwii as 085 nor in baseflight

Either I got a bunch of bad sensors ... or there is something else

I did download a bmp180 arduino library and only this read the pressure correctly from the bmp180
Have you tested the bmp180 or you assume these are 1:1 compatible with 180?

About afrominis ... where I can get some pre-cook firmware for them ? ... I still have a couple afromini32 from you that I still have to settle in a bird.

I don't know, the ones I buy and use and test on afrominis rev1 work just fine with the code in current baseflight github.
Nothing special is needed for afromini firmware, it is same one as baseflight, just load and done.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

The AfroMini that I got from you have a 085 .. the BMP180 is much smaller, it is somehow similar to the 5611 chip (the metal version of it).
So I guess you use and test only 085 .. and these I know that they works .. they are used since ages everywhere.
The BMP180 are relative new, and they use the same I2C address as BMP085 ... and I think the compatibility between the two is a legend .. or I got some rare and special defect BMP180 that works only with some special libraries.
BMP180 are looking better and cheaper then old 085 ... they can't replace the 5611, but they may find a place in the control board arena ... so .. it would be nice to properly support them.
I will try to load the latest baseflight version (I think before I tested only a Nov '13 version, from an old SVN repository), this did not talk to my DIY BMP180 10DOF module.
Still I don't expect that latest firmware will make the miracles .. but .. give a shot just take few minutes.

Dilbert66

Post by Dilbert66 »

Don't be so quick to blame baseflight. If TC says it was tested and works then it does. You might also want to look at your compiler and compiler options. I had an issue with a sensor module and the problem was related to the compiler I was using with the -O0 flag which I use for debugging. Switching to -O1 fixed the issue. Try a different debug option. If you use the makefile and select DEBUG=GDB, then edit it and change the optimize option to -01. That still allows debugging to work fairly well. If you don't use debug, then it uses -0s (size optimize) and that worked fine for me to run but not great for debugging with. It's easy enough to trace the issue with a debugger and find out where it fails during the sensor init call. That one of the great advantages of the ST ARM platform over the arduino, you can easily debug inline.

timecop

Post by timecop »

e_lm_70 wrote:The AfroMini that I got from you have a 085 .. the BMP180 is much smaller, it is somehow similar to the 5611 chip (the metal version of it).
So I guess you use and test only 085 .. and these I know that they works .. they are used since ages everywhere.
The BMP180 are relative new, and they use the same I2C address as BMP085 ... and I think the compatibility between the two is a legend .. or I got some rare and special defect BMP180 that works only with some special libraries.
BMP180 are looking better and cheaper then old 085 ... they can't replace the 5611, but they may find a place in the control board arena ... so .. it would be nice to properly support them.
I will try to load the latest baseflight version (I think before I tested only a Nov '13 version, from an old SVN repository), this did not talk to my DIY BMP180 10DOF module.
Still I don't expect that latest firmware will make the miracles .. but .. give a shot just take few minutes.

http://abusemark.com/store/images/afromini.jpg
rev1 afromini have been using bmp180 and with over 100 shipped (of the new revision) and no complaints (as well as no rejects during testing) I can only assume BMP180 code works just fine, and the problem is on your end. Sorry to hear that.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Thanks for the info.
Than it means I may have got some defected BMP180 ... or I'm doing something wrong.
My STM32 (couple are from your shop too), do work perfectly fine with 10DOF with 5611 .. but not with my DIY 10DOF (only 6050 and 5883 works fine) .. same code and same STM32 board.
i2c connection is dummy proven ... so ...

Anyhow ... I will download the latest pre compiled version and I will give a new try.

Thanks for the help.

PS: I see you manage to improve further the AfroMini board .. with the extra M2 pin ... SWD socket look a waste for my taste ... it could be left open for something else .. maybe a socket for mount a 16Mbit memory .. or a 5883 chip

PPS: End from my off topic intrusion here ... I will address now further question in the dedicated thread that I did find already here in multiwii forum.

Dilbert66

Post by Dilbert66 »

Quite interesting though that you are having the same issue that I was having with the ms5611 baro with the 10dof module I had (mpu6050,5883 and 5611). Try doing what I said with the -O option and also try one other thing if that doesnt work. Change the i2c init speed from 400khz to 100khz in the drv_i2c.c file and see if that works. It did in my case as well. Of course you don't want to work that way. Just prove what the issue is. If it does, then it proves that the compiler is doing something funky with the i2c timing somewhere. I don't know why this is the case. The reason it was failing for me, is the fact that it was reading incorrect values from the baro and failing the prom checksum.

41south

Post by 41south »

timecop wrote:There is no need to flash anything wiht this 27ms crap. Its a bullshit situation that will never happen under normal flying conditions / rc inputs

This is great to know, I was just about flash a couple of Frsky D8R-XP's to use with a rev 2 and a rev 4 on some new ships. One less job to do :D

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

My naze32 flies great, however out of curiosity i checked the vibrations
the below test was done with props but me holding down the quad to the table so that it wont fly away.

Should i try to fix the vibrations or does it look ok ?

timecop

Post by timecop »

if it flies, don't fuck with it.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Im trying to solve a issue with maybe a naze board or a esc or motor etc.(friends quad, not mine)
my question is, lets say one esc on a quad has a fault and was not spinning up the motor fully (as in it will idle rpm but not throttle up, and is ittermittent also)
in the GUI tho that motor output (M4 on Quad X) is showing as not going up(others are ), so would this indicate the naze board maybe at fault as its not giving the input to esc? as even if the esc was faulty am i right in thinking that the GUI motor output for that motor would still be showing a input that goes up as you ask it to etc... regardsless of what the esc or motor may actaully be doing to the prop.

Scott

Post by Scott »

QAV400 wrote:Im trying to solve a issue with maybe a naze board or a esc or motor etc.(friends quad, not mine)
my question is, lets say one esc on a quad has a fault and was not spinning up the motor fully (as in it will idle rpm but not throttle up, and is ittermittent also)
in the GUI tho that motor output (M4 on Quad X) is showing as not going up(others are ), so would this indicate the naze board maybe at fault as its not giving the input to esc? as even if the esc was faulty am i right in thinking that the GUI motor output for that motor would still be showing a input that goes up as you ask it to etc... regardsless of what the esc or motor may actaully be doing to the prop.

The gui shows what the FC is putting out.

bourney

Post by bourney »

Got a problem with my quad loosing power during flight, i.e. throttle has no effect and quad slowly descends during forward flight after being stationary for a few seconds it takes off and continues flying normally again for a minute or so.... then the same, any ideas please?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Shitty battery

bourney

Post by bourney »

5 batts same effect on all, no issue in other models, all cycle well, Can the Baro be disabled, I'm thinking it may be related to that after reading through the forum?

nspierbundel

Post by nspierbundel »

Maybe the other model requires less amps.
The battery could be under powered for this model

bourney

Post by bourney »

just changed out the Naze to CC3D, all fine! its definitely a Naze issue? (the other model is the same motors, esc's and AUW is 60g more on the other one)

Can baro be disabled? i.e make the board behave as the Acro does?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Why did you enable the baro then?

bourney

Post by bourney »

I didnt, when I ran through the set up it was already showing green at the top? how do I disable it?

timecop

Post by timecop »

read manual, if you don't know how to configure things stop flying right now and read until you understand.

bourney

Post by bourney »

timecop wrote:read manual, if you don't know how to configure things stop flying right now and read until you understand.

read the manual several times, it does not explain how to enable features or change settings! I have however learned how to change settings (listed in the set menu) and enable and disable features through the feature menu.

I am not a programmer and would appreciate some support from Programmers who are in the know of this product, I have also read 180+ pages of chat, and at no time does it cover my issue?

bourney

Post by bourney »

what is the purpose of this forum?

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

If you need help making changes to Aux switches and features, this isn't the correct part of the forum.. try viewforum.php?f=18

Anyway, disabling things like altitude hold is only as hard as not ticking any aux positions beside Baro in the Auxiliary Configuration tab.

Anyhow, if you didn't specifically enable "Baro" (ie Altitude Hold) then you can't have accidentally enabled it... it really does sound like you have some weird issue with battery voltage being too low... you're not running your li-po below 3.5v/cell I hope.

bourney

Post by bourney »

thanks for getting back, no aux enabled above flight mode and arming

the strange thing is with cc3d it doesnt happen, I have just switched back to Naze again and same problem is back??

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Very weird.

Do you have video of it doing it? Sure you don't have low battery cut off or soft-off enabled in ESCs? I guess not.. but still, it doesn't sound like FC related, although swapping to CC3D would indicate it is FC related.

bourney

Post by bourney »

just been and had 5 full batts with cc3d no problems, its not a smooth as the Naze, but its all ok, with the naze I seem to get the same effect as if the battery was flat after only 1min of flying, I can then take immediately and fly for another min or so before it does the same

Possibility

Post by Possibility »

Hello,

I want to make a simple project with Labview by reading and displaying raw sensor data.
Maybe someone could share info on how to pull sensor data from com port.

Thank you,
Poss

timecop

Post by timecop »

Possibility wrote:Hello,

I want to make a simple project with Labview by reading and displaying raw sensor data.
Maybe someone could share info on how to pull sensor data from com port.

Thank you,
Poss

multiwii MSP protocol is documented. however, since sensor data is returned in arbitrary units and not something "proper" I'm not sure how much of a value that data will be to you.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Dilbert66 wrote:Quite interesting though that you are having the same issue that I was having with the ms5611 baro with the 10dof module I had (mpu6050,5883 and 5611). Try doing what I said with the -O option and also try one other thing if that doesnt work. Change the i2c init speed from 400khz to 100khz in the drv_i2c.c file and see if that works. It did in my case as well. Of course you don't want to work that way. Just prove what the issue is. If it does, then it proves that the compiler is doing something funky with the i2c timing somewhere. I don't know why this is the case. The reason it was failing for me, is the fact that it was reading incorrect values from the baro and failing the prom checksum.

This BMP180 drive me crazy ... anyhow ... good learning, but still no solution.

I did finally downloaded the proper latest baseflight firmware from https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight

At least the latest version does work on rotate the MAG ... the previous version from Nov 2013 was not doing the job correctly .. so my 10DOF DIY .. at least now is 9DOF functional.

Still both original and as my modified version with 100k i2c speed ... don't allow to read anything from the Baro .. and I'm amazed I don't see any i2c error ... even if the BARO is recognized.

For double check again ... I used my Arduino Nano .. loaded the BMP180 test firmware .. and I get decent baro reading from my 10DOF using 3.3v power .. exactly as I power the DOF from STM32

Anyhow .. after a quick check between Arduino working code, and Baseflight ...
I see that the 085 register used in baseflight are not same used by working Arduino ... also the structure is looking different.

So ... @timecop ... either you 100 customer of AfroMini32 with BMP180 have not still check the baro ... or I'm still doing some dummy stuff on my side ... being me ... I start to guess that I maybe right ... and none of your 100 customer did care or notice the baro issue.

PS: I'm a bit off topic here ... so I will try to get some info from the baseflight thread.

PPS: Thanks a lot for the trick related to STM32 with 64k and 128k ... amazing ... so all STM32 chips are same, but some are market 64k and other 128k ... very strange policy ... I would guess that STM32 market 128 got a more intensive test at QC, while 64k version have a limited QC ... who knows ...

PPPS: From the test that I have been able to do over BMP180 ... it is looking a way more precise chip then BMP085

timecop

Post by timecop »

Hello, maybe you don't know this, but I test everything I ship from here. kthx.
P.S. And if you're wondering, before even starting to make afrominis w/BMP180, I got a breakout from bob4432 for it, and hooked up to acronaze to make sure stuff worked, and to do any driver adjustments if needed, which weren't needed.
Last edited by timecop on Mon May 05, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

timecop wrote:Hello, maybe you don't know this, but I test everything I ship from here. kthx.

Thanks for the info.

Then it sound a problem related to the cheap GY-68 module from eBay ..

DIY sometime is nice and easy and let save some money ...but sometime not ... so here is the value on getting a product ready made and tested

I will try to go down to this ... when I will have more time .. the GY-86 is not broken since it work with some ready software ...

Sorry again for be a bit off topic here.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

timecop wrote:if it flies, don't fuck with it.

I agree, but I was hoping to get the alt hold working, which seems to be jumping all around the place.
does alt hold use accelerometer ? or does it just depend on the barometer.
thanks

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

To Anyone that knows other than TC (GPS related) :)
Can anyone tell me is the way to set a home point or do position hold etc is it all the same as multiwii's online info? Basicly is that where i should be reading for detailed info on using gps functions, I have the gps all on and working with satts lock etc etc, but im a tad affraid to use it without reading how to set a home point or use the functions correctly.

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

CoolD wrote:

I agree, but I was hoping to get the alt hold working, which seems to be jumping all around the place.
thanks

Does rate mode and horizon / angle mode fly smooth? If so it shouldn't matter if the accelerometers are used or not.

How is your baro covered? In my case just foam wasn't enough. I got much better alt-hold with double sided tape and a bit of porous paper just over the baro. It let's in atmospheric pressure but no wind. And blocks out light.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

CoolD wrote:

thanks

ACC calibration and Z "noise" have an impact on ALT HOLD.

If you believe that you have too much vibration .. take your time and:
- Proper Balance your motor-prop .. possibly dynamic balance them .. (ELMvibra or the native functionality of Baseflight can help you on this)
- Make a foam.vibration proven mount for the control board ... but this can have some disadvantages as well.

The 5611 baro is very accurate ... I'm not an expert on Baseflight, but I bet you can by means of setting, increase the weight of the Baro signal vs the Z acceleration signal ... so you can ignore the vibration, and still have a decent alt hold (not perfect) ... since 5611 still have +/- 0.5 m noise. ...

scrat

Post by scrat »

QAV400 wrote:To Anyone that knows other than TC (GPS related) :)
Can anyone tell me is the way to set a home point or do position hold etc is it all the same as multiwii's online info? Basicly is that where i should be reading for detailed info on using gps functions, I have the gps all on and working with satts lock etc etc, but im a tad affraid to use it without reading how to set a home point or use the functions correctly.

When your GPS locks to 5+ satellites...GPS home point is set when you arm your copter. This means if you switch to Return to home, copter will come back to GPS home point (where you've armed your copter). If you fly and hit switch GPS Pos hold - this gps point is set and used for pos hold. But Home point is intact.

I hope I've explained ok?

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Thank you Scrat,

So only Return to Home function in baseflight is working at the moment is that what you mean? (not Pos Hold)
If this is the case then it makes sense why when i enabled Position Hold that my quad started to fly away lol....

Aslo Ive been reading heaps on setting the mag declination with cli in baseflight, I know how to set it but not sure on the conversion of 11deg 8min East (positve)
would it be in cli 1180 or 1108 ?

scrat

Post by scrat »

QAV400 wrote:Thank you Scrat,

So only Return to Home function in baseflight is working at the moment is that what you mean? (not Pos Hold)
If this is the case then it makes sense why when i enabled Position Hold that my quad started to fly away lol....

Aslo Ive been reading heaps on setting the mag declination with cli in baseflight, I know how to set it but not sure on the conversion of 11deg 8min East (positve)

No problem.

For me GPS Position Hold and GPS Return to Home works.

for mag_declination it must be 118 and no 1180 or 1108 :)

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

QAV400 wrote:Thank you Scrat,

PH should work in baseflight ... if it doesn't for you .. it means your mag is not calibrated or declination is wrong ... or too much mag noise from your ESC power line.

MultiWii has the GPS "follow me" function, and now also WayPoints navigation ... not sure if these have been ported into baseflight .. anyhow .. more then a Naze32 topic, this is more a baseflight or harakiri topic.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

@Scrat:
Ok thanks,
just out of curiosity what would 1degree 18minutes convert to?
not also 118 ?

@ e_lm_70
Would'nt a mag issue in POS Hold just make the quad spin in one spot? and not fly away in one direction?
Last edited by QAV400 on Mon May 05, 2014 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

scrat

Post by scrat »

No. It will be 101

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Ok scrat so the 8 at the end doesnt even come into it, a bit strange.

When im on the Multiwii EZ GUI android app and look at the map which goes to google earth it shows my quads current position correctly on the world map but has a Pos hold position "marked" in Africa which i can not seem to change no matter what i do lol, maybe this has something to do with why when i go to POS HOLD it starts to fly away as im in Australia.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Use this map: http://magnetic-declination.com/

And click on your exact location and see mag declination and set it in CLI.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

all good thats what i used, the second part of my post there was nothing to do with mag declination.

Cheers

larzac

Post by larzac »

https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... fig.c#L275
if -6deg37min => -637
how do you get 101 for 1deg18min ?
in that case you might as well write -6deg37min as -603, what do you reckon ?
and how do you write 0deg5min ? :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

I really need to turn that idiotic fixedpoint declination entry into a floating point...