Naze32 hardware discussion thread

KoekieMonster

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by KoekieMonster »

--Oz-- wrote:
KoekieMonster wrote:Hi, it seems like I am having a problem with my afromini 32.
I've modded an frsky VD5M receiver to output ppm(put a diode on each channel and tie them together).
I've connected this to the afromini and an logic analyzer. on the analyzer the channel 5 (from 5 channels) does change pulse width when I turn the pot meter on the TX. In the baseflight chrome app it does not change it's value. When I map the channels different it is still the 5th channel that does not work(so it is not always AUX1 that does not work).
I have tried the original firmware, some firmware with brushed motor support and the latest firmware (programmed with the chrome app) and they all have the same problem.
Is this a known problem that the last ppm channel does not work?
Or am I doing something very stupid? (since the channel is working on the logic analyzer I hope not)

I never herd of the CPPM mod (with diodes), got a link for it?

You sure you got your diodes in the correct direction? Does it need a pull up resistor after the diodes?

I would think a oscilloscope would be the best to look at this signal, not logic analyzer?

I run the Taranis with D4R-II in CPPM mode with 27ms FW, works perfect.

Good Luck.

link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st24603204
The diodes are in the right direction, I do not have the pull-down resistor on there but on the analyzer it still works, will hook it up to a scope soon.
I've also changed some settings in the tx, when I set the ppm output to 4channels, only 4 channels are outputted by the receiver.
Then again, the last channel(channel 4 in this case) is not recognized by the afromini.
I also use the D4R-II on my other quad, but for this project it is way to heavy. (auw < 50 gram)

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

KoekieMonster wrote:~snip

Any details + photos of how you did the motor Fets on the afromini ?

KoekieMonster

Post by KoekieMonster »

I've found out some things(probably well known things, just not for me xD)
The PPM outputted by the rx is low, then goes high for the pulse then low again.
The PPM outputted by my 9x is high, then goes low before the pulse then high again for the pulse itself.
(see attachments)
I can imagine that the software doesn't know how to handle this difference.
If this is true, could anyone point me in a direction on where to find this in de code?

for the afromini with FET's, here's a better picture. I just soldered them to the outputs(yes, there's 5 of them, didn't know which ones I needed so just used all) and will solder the wires to the FET's.

41south

Post by 41south »

Hi all

This is probably my first post on these forums (been over in *other* places :o )

Just a question on some older Naze32 hardware. I've had a green board with no rev number on it in a draw gathering dust. I think it may be a rev2 or 3 but certainly no later. I updated it today to the latest firmware using the Chrome config app just fine (after loading an older baseflight via the STM app) and it looks to work fine. The question being ... is there anything fundamentally wrong with the now (older) hardware on these versions of board? I see the baro has changed and some of the other sensors too. Is there anything it may not do too well as baseflight moves ahead?

Many thanks.

timecop

Post by timecop »

It should work just fine. There hasn't been any significant changes.

41south

Post by 41south »

Cheers TC. I bought 2 of them off you - thought it was about time this one got put to good use. It's going on to an MXP230 FPV rig to do some low level tree dodging 8-)

Witterings

Post by Witterings »

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE JUST WORKED IT OUT :D

In Baseflight I'm trying to set up different flight modes / combinations but I'm struggling to find out which Aux1 refers to which channel on the TX using CPPM .... I've been through the instructions but can't seem to find it anywhere.
Is there a mapping guide somewhere ????

--Oz--

Post by --Oz-- »

Witterings wrote:EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE JUST WORKED IT OUT :D

In Baseflight I'm trying to set up different flight modes / combinations but I'm struggling to find out which Aux1 refers to which channel on the TX using CPPM .... I've been through the instructions but can't seem to find it anywhere.
Is there a mapping guide somewhere ????

Go into the Rec tab and move all Tx controls, it should show you what is mapped to what.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

Please help...
I recently got a naze32 rev5 from multirotorsuperstore, it came with 2.3 firmware which I setup properly and it flies great
however after one minute or so of flying it starts rolling to right.
correcting takes nearly 25% stick movement, but on landing and re-connecting the battery the problem goes away
but comes back after one minute or so of flying.

I tried calibrating accel gyro mag and flying but it has the same problem which shows up after a minute of flying.

i'm flying horizon mode.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Too much vibrations.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

CoolD wrote:... it came with 2.3 firmware which...

Such firmware is not available on naze up to this moment.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:
CoolD wrote:... it came with 2.3 firmware which...

Such firmware is not available on naze up to this moment.

that's the version chrome baseflight configurator shows.

jingej

Post by jingej »

I need a little help with my GPS please.
I have an uBlox6 Neo6M V2 GPS module, I set in the parameters as described in https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/CliSetVariables

Code: Select all

set gps_type=1
set gps_baudrate=0
feature gps

but the GPS will not shown in the GUI as green.
I use the latest baseflight firmware version (downloaded and installed with the chrome app baseflight GUI) and the latest chrome app baseflight GUI version.
When I use the uBlox GUI with the GPS module stand alone then it works perfectly (shows satellites, position etc)
I also tried to interchange the RX/TX pins ... just in case, but no difference.
Someone has an idea what i do wrong?
*edit* the battery was connected to the copter and all was properly powered up, the green led at the gps module lights up.*edit*
Last edited by jingej on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Yes. You must connect battery to copter only then gps will work. I had have the same problem.

jingej

Post by jingej »

ok, i forgot to write that i connected the battery...
so...
the copter was powered up with its battery for normal use.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

CoolD wrote:Please help...
I recently got a naze32 rev5 from multirotorsuperstore, it came with 2.3 firmware which I setup properly and it flies great
correcting takes nearly 25% stick movement, but on landing and re-connecting the battery the problem goes away

I tried calibrating accel gyro mag and flying but it has the same problem which shows up after a minute of flying.

i'm flying horizon mode.

scrat wrote:Too much vibrations.

I checked and there are hardly any vibrations, the motors and props are all balanced. it works fine with multiwii on crius v2.
just to be safe I added two layers of gyro tape and still the problem exists, Now i have 3 layers and still it starts rolling to the right.
please help!!

Animal60

Post by Animal60 »

Only new to Naze32 and trying to setup head tracking. :)
I see in the V5 manual that S1 and S2 can be setup on AUX 3 and 4 using CPPM Aux 3 and 4 are controllable from radio. :P

What is the feature command used to set this UP :?: :?:

Sorry people found the answer:
Found the answer

- Move the motor output wires up two positions since the first two outputs will now be the servos/passthrough and the last four positions will be the motors.
- Turn on the ****( feature SERVO_TILT )****** :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
- In the Servos tab check the boxes of the channels you want to pass through for the pitch and roll servos.

As long as you don't have CAMSTAB turned on (Auxilliary Configuration/RCOptions) the output will just be a passthrough of whatever channels you assigned to the "roll/pitch servos". If you turn CAMSTAB on it then becomes a gimbal centred around the input value.
Last edited by Animal60 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Hi guys,
Can anyone give my a link to a Bluetooth module that will work and not put the naze32 into Bootloader mode on startup.
The one I have now is doing that and its heaps annoying to say the least.

Cheers

Scott

Post by Scott »

QAV400 wrote:Hi guys,
Can anyone give my a link to a Bluetooth module that will work and not put the naze32 into Bootloader mode on startup.

Cheers

I recently bought this one. Need to configure baud, etc. Works well for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JY-MCU-HC-06-v1-40-Bluetooth-Transeiver-RF-Module-5V-FAST-SHIP-US-Seller-/181139753268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2cc54934

Animal60

Post by Animal60 »

QAV400 wrote:Hi guys,

Cheers

You can try this one from hobbyking..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__42845__Multiwii_MWC_FC_Bluetooth_Module_Programmer_Android_compatible_.html

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

thanks guys,
this is the one i currently have
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121141213048 ... 1439.l2649
Last edited by QAV400 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

I am wondering if it is the fact that the devices electronic name has a letter "R" in its name

Yep.
It probably prints it on bootup, rebooting the board. lol.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Awesome, thanks TC hopefully i can fix it then :)
Last edited by QAV400 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animal60

Post by Animal60 »

It's probably not FTTI compatible and drivers may be an issue.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Ok thanks mate, Any on ebay that you recomend? I tried searching for FTTI USB to TTL but no luck
i dont even no what FTTI Means... google is not helping with it either for me.
Last edited by QAV400 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

strips

Post by strips »

Does baseflight reconfigure GPS when connected or will it just use it as it is. I have messed about and finally got ublox-only, sat count, 5Hz and 115200 baud on my CN-06. It came with NMEA and 9600 baud. Tried uploading the 3dr configuration but lost sat count.

I enabled SBAS as well but not sure if that's smart. I found some references it not being good on MTK. But I have NEO 6M.

Ucenter says I get HDOP between 0.8 and 1.3 indoors.

strips

Post by strips »

I am not getting any telemetry on my Taranis.

I have enabled telemetry in CLI. connected TX on Naze32 to RX on my D8R-XP and ground to ground.

I'm only getting voltages on the analog inputs A1 and A2 on the receiver.

What have I missed. More configuration in Baseflight or Taranis? Do I need to use FrSky telemetry hub?

I notice the serial protocol is grayed out in Companion9X.

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

QAV400 wrote:Ok thanks mate, Any on ebay that you recomend? I tried searching for FTTI USB to TTL but no luck
i dont even no what FTTI Means... google is not helping with it either for me.
Do almost all USB to TTL convertors work with all BT modules as long as they have the right voltage etc and TX RX pins?
Sorry for the newb ?'s Im decent on a pc and have experience from the old DOS days, but some of this stuff is a bit new to me
If i get the right stuff that will work im sure ill figure it out how to use it etc...

Can I send AT commands to a bluetooth module through a terminal program on my android phone by blue tooth? or will this only pass the commands through to the naze as thats what i can see is happening for me at the moment

TC is there a Character that one can input to take naze out of bootloader mode , like R but oposite?

Cheers

I think you mean FTDI.

I have this one and it got both 3.3V, 5V and comes with jumper leads. http://www.goodluckbuy.com/index.php?ta ... t_id=92354

I believe a BT module should pass through any AT command when connecting through bluetooth. Because when I tried reconfiguring a BT module once I had to connect with FTDI. It did not catch any AT commands when connecting through BT. But I have not tried it.

timecop

Post by timecop »

No, bootloader mode goes to stuff in ROM, which has no 'return'.
Its trivial to change R to another letter (I believe the other fork uses 'RRR' sequence), but I haven't had any real reason to make it so.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Last edited by QAV400 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Well, you could update firmware to todays version and use set reboot_character=XXX in CLI, where XXX is ascii value from 48 to 126.
http://ascii-table.com/img/ascii-table.gif

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Ok thanks I will do this, but will the latest baseflight work with any of the currently available Android app's to tune PID's?
Last edited by QAV400 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

QAV400 wrote:Ok I will do this, but will the latest baseflight work with any of the currently available Android app's to tune PID's?

Why wouldn't it?

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Got it working now, thanks TC you da man :)

strips

Post by strips »

strips wrote:Does baseflight reconfigure GPS when connected or will it just use it as it is. I have messed about and finally got ublox-only, sat count, 5Hz and 115200 baud on my CN-06. It came with NMEA and 9600 baud. Tried uploading the 3dr configuration but lost sat count.

I enabled SBAS as well but not sure if that's smart. I found some references it not being good on MTK. But I have NEO 6M.

When I try switching to GPS-HOLD the FC starts beeping. This is after flying around 5 minutes so I should have pretty good GPS lock.

I already got it in angle, mag and baro when i also enable GPS-hold.

jingej

Post by jingej »

jingej wrote:I need a little help with my GPS please.
I have an uBlox6 Neo6M V2 GPS module, I set in the parameters as described in https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/CliSetVariables

set gps_type=1
set gps_baudrate=0
feature gps

I use the latest baseflight firmware version (downloaded and installed with the chrome app baseflight GUI) and the latest chrome app baseflight GUI version.
When I use the uBlox GUI with the GPS module stand alone then it works perfectly (shows satellites, position etc)
*edit* the battery was connected to the copter and all was properly powered up, the green led at the gps module lights up.*edit*

no ideas?

strips

Post by strips »

strips wrote:
strips wrote:Does baseflight reconfigure GPS when connected or will it just use it as it is. I have messed about and finally got ublox-only, sat count, 5Hz and 115200 baud on my CN-06. It came with NMEA and 9600 baud. Tried uploading the 3dr configuration but lost sat count.

When I try switching to GPS-HOLD the FC starts beeping. This is after flying around 5 minutes so I should have pretty good GPS lock.

I already got it in angle, mag and baro when i also enable GPS-hold.

I got it in GPS-HOLD today. It floated around +/- 2m. The foam I have on the baro doesn't cut it. Went several meters down and up.

Looks like I get some electromagnetic influence on the mag as it some times rotate oddly. Typically when pitching forward or backwards.

strips

Post by strips »

jingej wrote:
jingej wrote:I need a little help with my GPS please.

set gps_type=1
set gps_baudrate=0
feature gps

no ideas?

I would test different gps_type values. Maybe change to 0 or 2. I am not sure what's what as I haven't found a definitive list of the possible values.

timecop

Post by timecop »

I would test different gps_type values. Maybe change to 0 or 2. I am not sure what's what as I haven't found a definitive list of the possible values.

Why the fuck would you 'try' random shit???
http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wi ... tVariables
gps_type When feature GPS is enabled, configures type of connected GPS. NMEA=0, UBLOX=1, MTK(NMEA)=2, MTK(Binary)=3
The only one that is supported and works is type=1

strips

Post by strips »

timecop wrote:

gps_type When feature GPS is enabled, configures type of connected GPS. NMEA=0, UBLOX=1, MTK(NMEA)=2, MTK(Binary)=3

I would try random shit when I do not know what value is what. Thanks for the type list. NMEA not working is good to know. Explains why I was successful after switching to ublox protocol.

jingej

Post by jingej »

timecop wrote:

but it sadly doesnt work with the correct parameters and baseflight... (it does work with ublox command center well)
i will try another module next time..

timecop

Post by timecop »

Works for me (tm)

scrat

Post by scrat »

Connect your GPS to ucenter and reset it to default values. Then set in CLI gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=0 or 1. That's it and gps must work. I have the same gps and it's working.

jingej

Post by jingej »

scrat wrote:Connect your GPS to ucenter and reset it to default values. Then set in CLI gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=0 or 1. That's it and gps must work. I have the same gps and it's working.

tried it, didnt work (or it does not reset completely)
thx

strips

Post by strips »

jingej wrote:but it sadly doesnt work with the correct parameters and baseflight... (it does work with ublox command center well)
i will try another module next time..

Maybe clear settings and try again or start over with a re-flash.

scrat wrote:Connect your GPS to ucenter and reset it to default values. Then set in CLI gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=0 or 1. That's it and gps must work. I have the same gps and it's working.

When I did a reset to defaults I got back 9600 baud and NMEA on my CN06 (NEO 6M).

jingej

Re: Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by jingej »

strips wrote:
When I did a reset to defaults I got back 9600 baud and NMEA on my CN06 (NEO 6M).

yes so it is, but the baseflight doesnt like my module... somehow, i dont know
ill try again... and flashing baseflight again...
thx

nspierbundel

Post by nspierbundel »

Hi,

I have a serial gps (ublox neo6) connected to port 3 and 4 of the naze32 (full version rev5)
to the serial port in the center of the board I have a bluetooth dongle (also serial).

the gps only works if bluetooth is disconnected.

with both connected bluetooth will work, however using the usb to connect to the chrome plugin doesn`t.

my ideas so far is that the serial is being shared amongst the three ports.

What would be the connection schema to connect both ?

gps has eprom (hack) and runs 115200 baud, bluetooth also runs at 115200 baud.

thanks in advance

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

CoolD wrote:
CoolD wrote:Please help...

i'm flying horizon mode.

scrat wrote:Too much vibrations.

I checked and there are hardly any vibrations, the motors and props are all balanced. it works fine with multiwii on crius v2.
just to be safe I added two layers of gyro tape and still the problem exists, Now i have 3 layers and still it starts rolling to the right.
please help!!

this turned out to be a defective flight controller, replaced and it works awesome. The gyro on the old one kept drifting as time passed, bench tests ( just powering from usb and looking at raw sensor data ) revealed this as well.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Question, When Im on the github baseflight firmware main page and I click on the "Downlaod Zip" button in the bottom right of the page am I getting the very latest baseflight.hex?
Or do I have to get it another way for the absolute latest updates to baseflight.hex
If so I can not figure out how to get it any other way and ive tried clicking on almost every bloody thing lol

Cheers

disq

Post by disq »

QAV400 wrote:Question, When Im on the github baseflight firmware main page and I click on the "Downlaod Zip" button in the bottom right of the page am I getting the very latest baseflight.hex?
Or do I have to get it another way for the absolute latest updates to baseflight.hex
If so I can not figure out how to get it any other way and ive tried clicking on almost every bloody thing lol

Download zip will work, but it will also give you sourcecode and other files which you don't need.

First post in this thread has the link to the hex file ("latest development version")
baseflight-configurator can also get the latest hex and flash it with a few clicks, no need for a flasher or anyhing.