Naze32 hardware discussion thread

timecop

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

Revision number is not stored in the code.
Re-read the manual and first post of this thread (i know, its hard to do but still do it) to find out how to flash actual current firmware revision.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

Flashing firmware involves using 'special software' that is linked to in the manual (flash loader demo version).

The manual lays everything out very plainly, if not in the most user friendly format ever created.

Read the manual and first posts, possibly a few times. Try following the steps sequentially - if you get stuck on a particular part you'll get a better response if you can ask a specific question.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Its all good I have and did flash it successfully :)

I just never did see the read first post bit of this thread, now i see the right click on raw file bit and its all good.

I actually think i may have improvised even before that lol, by actually highlighting the whole code and just copy and pasting it into a new txt file and renaming that file baseflight.hex.

Not 100% sure if it would have worked but i had guessed it might have as i have some computer knowledge, just not at say time cops level, lol :)

Please excuse my poor spelling / grammar in all my future posts also, as english at school was not my strongest subject , thanks guys
Last edited by QAV400 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roeland54

Post by Roeland54 »

lunithy wrote:It's the fast bit I can't slow down! looks like a UFO :oops: so I turn the P and I down to 0 with no real effect I,m using version 5 with baseflight-20130719 it's like yaw is on steroids? strait flight until you touch the ruder and then all hell breaks lose :roll: and yes I,m new to this place and this naze32 followed the guides thank you Timecop for all the work crazy little board it's a big step up from the KK so any help will be appreciated .
My test rig is a small 225mm diameter 240g with a 850mha 3s and really annoying 5030 props :twisted: .

@ lunithy

Do you fly the X configuration? (The color of your props are like a "+" config)

If you fly in X. I think your motors aren't turning in the right direction (It looks like that in the pictures).
If all your motors turn in the wrong direction your Quad wil fly but jou wil have serious YAW problems.

lunithy

Post by lunithy »

I think your motors aren't turning in the right direction
:shock: :lol: Roeland54 you are 100% correct :oops: I must have read the manual 20 times and just not clicked thanks very much for taking the time to look I'm one happy camper now.
And timecop thank you for your help I realize you probably get inundated with noob question most days.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

I have a slight problem, when I punch the throttle full my quad yaws a bit, tried raising yaw P but did not seem to help

Scott

Post by Scott »

:? I know I might get torn up for this question, but why can't I get to r447? :oops:

Only the latest commit (429)shows, even though it says r447 in the source path line. When I update via Tortoise SVN, it shows I'm updated to r447, but when I check the log it only shows r429. The link on the first post (for latest dev ver) takes you to r429, even though it's at 447. After flashing (what I thought was the latest dev version) status shows Oct 4 date (429, last stable).

What am I doing wrong?

dump.JPG

timecop

Post by timecop »

Newer releases aren't considered stable enough to fly and/or may have bugs, so if you can build + debug firmware yourself you can do it, but latest "working" prebuilt binary is 429.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

I just wanted to say thanks to all for there help, With baseflight from july 2013 now loaded my quad is now flying perfect and only needed slight pid tuning, and my yaw problem even fixed it self from the firmware change :)
Cheers TC for the good board

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

I was wanting to buy the rev5 acro board and I live in Australia, Can anyone tell me if there is a place that sells it that ships to Australia and if it will come assembled or not (pin headers etc)
thanks

aBUGSworstnightmare

Post by aBUGSworstnightmare »

The easiest way is buying it at Timecops shop! Don't know if there's any 'local' online re-seller in Australia.

http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?ma ... 7v1ei8cfc0

By the way: although I've already ordered (and Timecop already shipped) 2 of these 'hot pink pussy boards' a picture of it would be fine ;)

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

Is this implemented and from which release actually?

Code: Select all

| board_align_roll, board_align_pitch, board_align_yaw || Arbitrary board rotation in degrees, to allow mounting it sideways / upside down / rotated etc ||

timecop

Post by timecop »

current in -svn, but you will need to build it yourself.

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

timecop wrote:current in -svn, but you will need to build it yourself.

Ok, I will wait till that release has been proven for some longer period.
What's the current way to rotate the board? I would like to rotate mine 90degrees clockwise.

timecop

Post by timecop »

If you're just rotating it clockwise (in horizontal plane), you just simply change individual sensor rotations using info in wiki.
So to rotate 90" right, you subtract (i think?) 90" from current sensor orientation, and change gyro/acc/mag_align stuffs.
So CW_0 oriented sensor will be CW_270 after the rotate etc.

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

I got my pink rev 5 in the mailbox today (after a quite messy 2 week holiday). Looks sexy. TY TC.

There is a 16mbit flash on it, but i was unable to find out how its connected to the stm32 and if there is already some soft for it. Are there some hints or "how to"?

I would like to use it to record receiver failures.

timecop

Post by timecop »

It's standard jedec SPI flash, there's drv_spi that initializes the peripheral and spiTest() that reads back flash device ID.
I think the flash is this - http://www.macronix.com/QuickPlace/hq/P ... 20v1.4.pdf

But if it isn't, after reading jedec device ID in spiTest() you can just google the 4 bytes in hex and you'll find which chip it is.

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

Found it. Seems to be a Micron "M25P16" with ID bytes hex 20 20 15

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Hi guys. I need some clarification regarding 'gimbal_flags'.

The default gimbal_flags=1 will set one servo each to control tilt and roll if what i understand from the manual is right.
How about gimbal_flags=2 (tiltmix gimbal)? It still uses 2 servo for controlling tilt and roll right? Is it going to mix the two outputs and act together to control tilt and roll?

I'm thinking of using this supersimplegimbal (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793759) for my 808#16.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, that's what the tiltmix mode is for (supersimplegimbal-style stuff). You will still need 2 servos tho.

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

thanx tc. that was a quick reply.

LingeringLincoln

Post by LingeringLincoln »

Hi,

Who can explain me the UARTS? Can i get the GUI/CLI Data out of Telemetry, RX, TX pads/pins? Do i need to enable them?
thx

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Just got around to putting the naze32 in my qav400 frame (was in a different frame before) and due to rx break out cable hitting part of the frame I have moved the board approx 1.5cm to one side so looking from above the board is not in the center left to right, my question is will this effect flight performance?

Also the option on your website TC for the different angle header pins is that for the motor out put headers only? or wil that solve my rx out put header issue?

Cheers

hkubota

Post by hkubota »

QAV400 wrote:I have moved the board approx 1.5cm to one side so looking from above the board is not in the center left to right, my question is will this effect flight performance?

Theoretically the flight performance will worsen the more you move the FC (actually the sensors) from the CoG. Especially the accelerometer will show non-zero values for fast rotations.
Practically as long as the FC is near the CoG, all is well. The faster you rotate and the more the FC is off center, the worse it gets though.

In my setup my Naze us about 2cm too high and 1cm off too much front and too much left. No impact at allas far as I can say.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

thanks ,

Also For the life of me I can not seem to get the voltage alarm working, vbat is enabled and saved, every thing conected, it shows the voltage in multiwii gui 2.2, but when i set the palarm and write it nothing hapens even when the voltage is lower, I assume the palarm is in milli volts as it goes into the thousands numerically, I run 4 cell lipo and set it to 16000 palarm just to test when pack goes under this value but no joy no buz?
Any help appreciated, I have r363 on rev4 white acro board

Is there another way i can test my buzzer? as when i arm and disarm it does nothing, i am wondering if it faulty

timecop

Post by timecop »

I have no idea what "palarm" is, baseflight does not support non-working fake mAh hack that was in multwii.

https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/w ... tVariables
Read this, the battery monitoring only needs to know mincell voltage (3.3V? by default I think).
You'll need r429 or newer firmware on rev5 to make buzzer work properly, or any firmare on rev4 or older.
You can edit mincell/maxcell voltage in mwcgui under the 'settings' tab.
This is PER-CELL, and code will automatically detect cell count at startup (you can check w/'status' command).

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

All good now, I should not have assumed palarm was to do with it, doh its for multi wii and to do with mah i take it

I now figured it out in the cli with what you told me , and changed my per cell voltage to 3.4 and verifyed it etc.

Also with a status its showing 4 cell and voltage compared to my multi meter is spot on :)

Also tested my buzzer with aux channel switching and its working

Cheers mate

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Is it normal for when you start up the motors by slight throtle and sitting on a flat bench motors start up ok then one or 2 motors stop after a few seconds on there own. like if you dont take off
happens in all flight modes, all esc's were calibrated to radio direct to rx and after end points were set correctly (end point gui values listed in my spiritfly32 manual anyway)
I do have motor stop enabled, but this is when even say 1/4 throtle is on and they all start up fine then one or 2 stop, seems to hover ok if i just punch it and get it up in air, from my very short test out the front since the new esc's and frame/ build

timecop

Post by timecop »

escs arent calibrated regardless of what you say.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

edit
Last edited by QAV400 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

veqtor

Post by veqtor »

Is it possible to use tricopter with a mix tilt gimbal now?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Nope, but only because I'm lazy.
There's enough servos in PPM input mode.

jingej

Post by jingej »

calibrate them!
use a 4-1 cable for exact results!

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

jingej wrote:calibrate them!
use a 4-1 cable for exact results!

Thanks mate I will give it a shot

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

If you have an old 8 bit multiwii board you can use that to do the auto-calibration via the multiwii code - works very well if you use the right settings.

I have an old multiwii flight controller which is a bit dodgy that i use for this purpose and no other, just to calibrate the ESCs on my naze flight controllers.

timecop

Post by timecop »

You can *easily* calibrate escs on command line w/baseflight.
hint: mincommand.
If it isn't immediately obvious to you HOW to do that, stop now because I'm not responsible for your head being cut off by 4 spinning props that you forgot to remove.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Post by aBUGSworstnightmare »

... for those of you who haven't seen them so far ...

The 'Hot Pink' Rev5 Acro Naze32 boards

Acro Naze32 - HOT PINK edition
Acro Naze32 - HOT PINK edition

Ordered on 10/18 - received today (Germany)

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

Looks like there are a few changes except just the colour;

https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/AfroFlight32

16Mbit SPI flash memory (rev5)
Built in FrSky Telemetry converter (rev5)
through-hole microUSB (rev5)
One 3.3V and one 5V-tolerant GPIO (rev5)
Max 16V power via servo connector (rev5)

I am guessing the 16 volt power means you can run the flight controller directly from the lipo without using a UBEC or the ESC BEC - might be a nice feature that :-)
I guess the 16mb of flash is for data logging. I am not sure exactly how that's going to work but it sounds interesting.

If anyone else has any comments to make on the new hardware i'd be interested to hear :-)

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Can anyone tell me if the cc3d pid values for P for example of say 0.00350, In the naze would that be 3.5? is the decimal place just in a different position?

I know they are a totally different board and it wont fly the same and all that jaz, just wanted to know that tho

(im guessing there would have to be some with both boards)

Also TC Thanks for the hints on the motor issue, I fixed it :)
Last edited by QAV400 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

They're completely different. read multiwii.com/wiki or so for ~approx idea of what to do with PID.
Defaults work fine.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Did some sensible defaults make it in for pidRewrite (aka AlexK)?

alistairr

Post by alistairr »

Sorry if this has been addressed but I have read all 125 pages of this thread and many of others and can't remember seeing anything about this. I even went back to page one again and the manual just incase lol. I have a few naze boards working great on rangelink UHF in PPM and Spektrum in normal mode. I'm currently trying to get my Frsky D8R-XP to work in PPM mode but the GUI is showing no activity. Is that to do with the 18ms PPM frame rate? Do I need to do the firmware change on the rx or is there a setting I can change with the Naze board to receive at the higher rate. I think the firmware changes this to 27ms. Just wondering.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

felix - If you've tuned using the old PID system, with the new one you may need to reduce P on pitch, roll and yaw a little, and you WILL need to reduce your rates a lot or the multirotor will be totally uncontrollable. At least that was my limited experience.

Edit - just uploaded a short video of my current Naze32 setup flying acrobatically. I've included all the settings in the video description if people are interested to know the details. I'm using the original PID system at the moment because i think that i prefer it, but this may just be down to a lack of experience tuning the new one. I need to experiment more to be sure;

http://youtu.be/kLlYxQwS0Fo

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

In the Baseflight gui it seems to allow me to go into Negative setting on the TPA , would this give more throtle punch?

mifau

Post by mifau »

Hi there,

I wonder if anybody has some experience with looptime modifications.
Having "vibrating" frame I had no chance to set PID's strong enought to fly well. Default values of D had to be changed to 13 (!), and P to 30.
Copter was oscilating, or if D value was to high, it was not holding altitude (common issue - all motors were spinning once faster, once slower).
So I've decided to play with looptime.
Lowering looptime to 3000 caused copter to ever worse bahavior, so I set it to 4000, and after some tests to 4200.
Now, even with that crap frame, copter behaves a lot better.
Going higher with looptime value (to e.g. 5000) made things worse than with default (3500).
So I'm wondering, if limiting loop time acts like a filter for these frame vibrations.

Have you got any thoughts?

btw. my setup:
- naze32 v5 (fw: r451)
- emax 2213 + apc 10x4,7 + 3S battery
- esc with simonk fw
- weight 900 g
- current PID:
P = 40 <- going higher makes fast oscilations
I = 30
D = 25
looptime = 4200 us
motor_pwm_rate = 400 Hz

timecop

Post by timecop »

How about dropping gyro LPF down one step? i.e. 42->20 or whatever.
That might help better.
How is stuff mounted? I have my r5 on amazewheel frame using double-sided foam from HK (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8999__)
And I'm flying with P=5.5 just fine.

mifau

Post by mifau »

FC is mounted by poliamide distances ans screws. So it's stiff and withount any dampers.
But maybe it's a good idea to do it as you suggested.
I saw (YT) you flying P=9.0 …. and it was very stable. Im my case it's impossible to achieve that.

You know…my frame is the worst one (dji clone for $15). I'm using it just because I'm building proper one and if it flies on that frame it'll fly on the good one. So just for experiments. So, sorry for that frame, but I think I've proved to myself that plastic frames worth nothing (at least for me).
I have no doubts that it's all about the frame! I was using naze32 software before (my PCB design) and tiny copter with brushed motors, and it flies great (I was even surprised how well digital gyro can manage here - I was using ITG3200 before and it was a shit comparing to IDG500)
So I highly suggest NOT USING THESE FRAMES to anybody (If somebody asks;)). Of course it flies, but It's a waste of time trying to set it up (especially when you're new to copters).

Reffering gyro_lpf 42->20 ….
Indeed :) Now even with looptime=3500 it's quite ok. (still slightly better on 4000).
And I can even go further with D modification (from 25, to 30 and It still has no problems with altitude) - even on default looptime (3500).
With P=50 I do have some oscilations but It's lot better.
With gyro_lpf to 10 it's got worse. So as you've said…. 20 is quite ok.

EDIT:
So…if anybody interested, here are my settings for now:

set looptime = 4000
set midrc = 1520
set minthrottle = 1200
set maxthrottle = 1850
set mincommand = 1000
set mincheck = 1120
set maxcheck = 1925
set deadband3d_low = 1406
set deadband3d_high = 1514
set neutral3d = 1460
set deadband3d_throttle = 50
set motor_pwm_rate = 450
set servo_pwm_rate = 50
set retarded_arm = 0
set serial_baudrate = 115200
set softserial_baudrate = 19200
set softserial_inverted = 0
set gps_type = 0
set gps_baudrate = 0
set serialrx_type = 0
set telemetry_softserial = 0
set vbatscale = 110
set vbatmaxcellvoltage = 43
set vbatmincellvoltage = 33
set power_adc_channel = 0
set align_gyro = 0
set align_acc = 0
set align_mag = 0
set align_board_roll = 0
set align_board_pitch = 0
set align_board_yaw = 0
set yaw_control_direction = 1
set acc_hardware = 0
set moron_threshold = 32
set gyro_lpf = 20
set gyro_cmpf_factor = 600
set gyro_cmpfm_factor = 250
set pid_controller = 0
set deadband = 0
set yawdeadband = 0
set alt_hold_throttle_neutral = 40
set alt_hold_fast_change = 1
set throttle_angle_correction = 0
set rc_rate = 90
set rc_expo = 65
set thr_mid = 50
set thr_expo = 0
set roll_pitch_rate = 10
set yawrate = 10
set failsafe_delay = 10
set failsafe_off_delay = 200
set failsafe_throttle = 32
set failsafe_detect_threshold = 985
set rssi_aux_channel = 0
set yaw_direction = 1
set tri_unarmed_servo = 1
set gimbal_flags = 1
set acc_lpf_factor = 4
set accxy_deadband = 40
set accz_deadband = 40
set acc_unarmedcal = 1
set acc_trim_pitch = 10
set acc_trim_roll = 18
set baro_tab_size = 21
set baro_noise_lpf =  0.600
set baro_cf_vel =  0.995
set baro_cf_alt =  0.950
set mag_declination = 320
set gps_pos_p = 11
set gps_pos_i = 0
set gps_pos_d = 0
set gps_posr_p = 20
set gps_posr_i = 8
set gps_posr_d = 45
set gps_nav_p = 14
set gps_nav_i = 20
set gps_nav_d = 80
set gps_wp_radius = 200
set nav_controls_heading = 1
set nav_speed_min = 100
set nav_speed_max = 300
set nav_slew_rate = 30
set p_pitch = 47
set i_pitch = 30
set d_pitch = 30
set p_roll = 47
set i_roll = 30
set d_roll = 30
set p_yaw = 85
set i_yaw = 45
set d_yaw = 0
set p_alt = 50
set i_alt = 25
set d_alt = 80
set p_level = 80
set i_level = 8
set d_level = 100

It's not perfect, because copter is changing its position "in steps" (once a 500ms or so, and slightly…just by 1 deg), but it's flyable in 5ms wind condition.

mifau

Post by mifau »

For Mac OSX users who wants to develop baseflight….

This is a way with no pain ;)
Hope it will help you getting rid of windows virtual machine :lol:
I made this info, because recently I had to walk this way through, and if I put this here, my efforts won't be lost…maybe ;)

Toolchain:
Better than yagarto (which latest versions have problems during building of NAZE32) is this one:
https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded
(Download it and unpack it)

All you have to do in the project, in order to use it, is to modify Makefile….
Look for CC and OBJCOPY and replace it by:

CC = ????/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc
OBJCOPY = ????/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy

Where „????” is a directory to which you have unpacked toolchain to.

That’s all. Now you can build the project :D
(I'm using eclipse and in order to build it I have to do it from command line. But that's not the issue…just type "make" in the project directory)

Now, you have to have possibility to upload new firmware to FC.
All you need is 5 things….

1. SiLabs CP2102 VCP driver for MaxOSX:
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/page ... ivers.aspx
(download, install and reboot)

2. Software for uplading firmware by com port:
stm32flash: https://code.google.com/p/stm32flash/
Donwload and install.

3. A script which will upload compiled firmware into FC
upload.sh

#!/bin/sh

rm -f obj/baseflight_NAZE.bin
????/arm-none-eabi-objcopy -I ihex -O binary obj/baseflight_NAZE.hex obj/baseflight_NAZE.bin
stm32flash -b115200 -f -w obj/baseflight_NAZE.bin -g 0x0 /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART

Put it into project directory, and run after building the project
(again…"????" is a directory where toolchain is unpacked into)

4. CLI access
You can use for example: CoolTerm.
You can download it from here: http://freeware.the-meiers.org

5. MultiWiiConf 2.2 (if needed)
Can be downloaded here ofcourse: https://code.google.com/p/multiwii/down ... p&can=2&q=
(just unpack it and there is a version for MacOSX also)

mundsen

Post by mundsen »

Anyone know where it is possible to buy a protective "box" for NAZE32 V5 ?

Something like this: http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o302 ... 6F3F1B.jpg
Last edited by mundsen on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disq

Post by disq »

mifau wrote:4. CLI access
You can use for example: CoolTerm.
You can download it from here: http://freeware.the-meiers.org

5. MultiWiiConf 2.2 (if needed)

for serial you can use screen
use it like so: "screen /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART 115200 -xion"
to quit you could use ctrl+a and then k, or just unplug usb and it will disconnect.

for configuration you can use the baseflight - Configurator which is a google chrome extension. On OSX you have to "sudo ln -sf /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART /dev/usbmodem" and connect to /dev/usbmodem though, because Chrome won't detect the slab device as a valid serial.