Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Plüschi

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by Plüschi »

Since calculation values for ACC have gone up by factor of 8, has the "stick calib" increment for ACC gone up too?

I dont know about baseflight, but my personal tarduino version has this problem. Stick calib becomes a very slow, what was 1 trim pulse before is 8 trim pulses now. I do use stick calib a lot, very nice feature.

I did see computeRC still uses this 4 times averaging filter and the 4us deadband thing. I think that is not necessary with stm32 1us accuracy and propose this patch i have been using for some time now. It DOES make display jumpier, but it also gives your controls crispness and precision never heard of before. :)

Code: Select all

Index: src/mw.c
===================================================================
--- src/mw.c   (revision 421)
+++ src/mw.c   (working copy)
@@ -233,23 +233,10 @@

void computeRC(void)
 {
-    static int16_t rcData4Values[8][4], rcDataMean[8];
-    static uint8_t rc4ValuesIndex = 0;
-    uint8_t chan, a;
-
-    rc4ValuesIndex++;
-    for (chan = 0; chan < 8; chan++) {
-        rcData4Values[chan][rc4ValuesIndex % 4] = rcReadRawFunc(chan);
-        rcDataMean[chan] = 0;
-        for (a = 0; a < 4; a++)
-            rcDataMean[chan] += rcData4Values[chan][a];
-
-        rcDataMean[chan] = (rcDataMean[chan] + 2) / 4;
-        if (rcDataMean[chan] < rcData[chan] - 3)
-            rcData[chan] = rcDataMean[chan] + 2;
-        if (rcDataMean[chan] > rcData[chan] + 3)
-            rcData[chan] = rcDataMean[chan] - 2;
-    }
+   uint8_t chan;
+   for (chan = 0; chan < 8; chan++) {
+      rcData[chan] = rcReadRawFunc(chan);
+   }
 }

static void mwArm(void)

Me thinks if user doesent like the quantization and jumpiness of the real world then filter it in the GUI.
Last edited by Plüschi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

raulmd wrote:About the manual for rev 5, i see it is named "naze32_rev3.pdf" is it a mistake or just manuals and boards have different version?

manual versions are different from hardware.

Plüschi wrote:Since calculation values for ACC have gone up by factor of 8, has the "stick calib" increment for ACC gone up too?

I dont know about baseflight, but my personal tarduino version has this problem. Stick calib becomes a very slow, what was 1 trim pulse before is 8 trim pulses now. I do use stick calib a lot, very nice feature.

Yeah, you are right. acctrim is much slower now. I noticed that too.

I did see computeRC still uses this 4 times averaging filter and the 4us deadband thing. I think that is not necessary with stm32 1us accuracy and propose this patch i have been using for some time now. It DOES make display jumpier, but it also gives your controls crispness and precision never heard of before. :)

Me thinks if user doesent like the quantization and jumpiness of the real world then filter it in the GUI.

Hm yeah, probably not a bad idea. I remember removing it like last year but I didn't like something about it so I put it back. I'll check it again.

criccio

Post by criccio »

raulmd wrote:About the manual for rev 5, i see it is named "naze32_rev3.pdf" is it a mistake or just manuals and boards have different version?

If you actually open the PDF you'll see the board is a Rev5, it even says Rev5 on the image of the board.

raulmd

Post by raulmd »

criccio wrote: it even says Rev5 on the image of the board.

Good point LOL

Morphin

Post by Morphin »

timecop wrote:Yea, I've seen it. Now that baseflight is (almost) free of 8bit aids with latest changes in svn, maybe that's something that can be looked at again. (after thoroughly re-indenting brad's horrific GNU-indent style) :)

If it wasn't so messy with fixed point ops that aren't needed on 32bit, I'd be tempted to just port whole thing over in a separate branch.

Please TC port it over.
I think that woult be of great value and potential

Andy

scrat

Post by scrat »

Thanks to Mr. TC for fast service! On 1.10.2013 I've ordered Naze32 board. Today is already in my hands :o :shock: :D :D :D 8-) 3 days from Japan to Slovenia! Can't wait to test this little thing :).

criccio

Post by criccio »

So I caught wind of this board the same day the Rev5 was released on AbuseMark so i immediately ordered one. A buddy now wants to order one but doesn't want to wait over a week to get it like I did. Anyone know how quick Multirotorsuperstore (the only other place I've seen that sells them) gets the new Rev's in stock?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Oh noes, a week? multirotorsuperstore will get them by Friday next week. Things were delayed because I was out of rc breakout cables.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

The last couple of Naze32s i ordered arrived in 4 working days. That's from Japan to the UK - i'm happy with that :-)

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Hi guys. Total noob on MultiWii frm Malaysia and I just got my AcroNaze32 Rev5 frm LastAlpha. I want to thanx Timecop for making this available for others to play with and of course for the continuous support.

I just successfully updated the firmware to r429 which solve my first problem with the board where the buzzer keep making noises once the board is power on. I have enable the vbat feature and that too seems to work just fine.

Then I was able to hooked everything up to my trusted Turnigy 9x (er9x with telemetry + Frsky DHT) and D6FR Rx with all the channels checked and 3 switches set for Arm, Level and Beeper successfully.

The only problem now is I can't get my flight pack voltage to be shown on my 9x telemetry screen. As i understands it, the telemetry port on Rev5 is giving RS232 level as telemetry data refering to vbat voltage. Yes i have enable the vbat and telemetry features in cli.

Attach here is the picture of how i hooked everything up and what shows on my 9x telemetry screen once i power up the board. There is only a voltage spike at the very beginning and then the voltage drop to 0.3V.

I really want to make use of what is offered by this FC. Can't anyone point me to the right direction. Much appreciated. Thanx.
Attachments
20131005_215045.jpg
20131005_215130.jpg

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

kaysee wrote:The only problem now is I can't get my flight pack voltage to be shown on my 9x telemetry screen. As i understands it, the telemetry port on Rev5 is giving RS232 level as telemetry data refering to vbat voltage. Yes i have enable the vbat and telemetry features in cli.

Attach here is the picture of how i hooked everything up and what shows on my 9x telemetry screen once i power up the board. There is only a voltage spike at the very beginning and then the voltage drop to 0.3V.

Hi kaysee,

the values for A1 and A2 are from the receiver's own ADCs. Baseflight transmits individual cell voltages based on the VBAT readings over the FrSky protocol.
Those should just be on another telemetry page in ER9x. If you have hooked up VBAT properly and enabled the telemetry and vbat features you should be able to see something on your radio when the copter is armed (and only then, because the UART is shared with USB).

Cheers
Andy

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Thanx Andy for your reply.

Somebody in my local forum just inform me after i made my post here about the telemetry data only been sent after the board is armed. I did try that then and what i found out, there is some changes with the voltage displayed on my tx screen for A2. But still its too small and it changes a lot (in a 3V - 5V range).

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

I just got my quad flying with my new AcroNaze32 Rev5 on baseflight r429 with default PID and it is awesome. Thanx again Timecop. But i still can't figure out the telemetry. Search all over this thread and nothing helps so far.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Telemetry should just work
1, enable feature telemetry
2, arm board
3, (i only tested this with frsky lcd), you should be able to see flvs-reported voltage on one of the screens. it is NOT A1/A2 voltages.

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Thanx for the reply TC. I've done enable feature vbat and telemetry and i did armed the board.

When you said it is not A1/A2 voltages make me suspect i have misunderstood something here. I shouldnt connected the telemetry port from the board to my D6FR A2 port right? Can i even use my D6FR to get the telemetry data shows on my TX screen?
Am kinda lost here :roll:

timecop

Post by timecop »

I dunno what ports are called on your receiver, but telemetry goes into 'Digital' port on my D8RSP. A1/A2 ports there are empty.
This is the same port where you connect "frSky HUB". G = gnd, Tx = empty, Rx = from FrSky inverter on Naze. Battery info it emulates is same as what's sent by FAS100/FLVS, so it's not on the Analog voltage screen but somewehre else. I don't know where because I don't use er9x w/frsky mod. Do you have any other screens? For example, the code also transmits accelerometer values and "armed time", so that would be an easy way to get it tested.

EDIT: I just hooked up D8R-II to test shitquad w/rev5, and I am getting all telemetry as expected.
I tested altitude, accelerometer and voltages. On FLD-02 frsky display, the voltages are shown in a separate screen.

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

First of all i have to apologize for my ignorance. As a total noob, once i saw the telemetry port on the board and from what i've read (halfway) that it uses the vbat as reference for voltage telemetry, im assuming that its only works as a voltage sensor. I've totally forgot about the digital port on some of the Frsky telemetry capable Rx (which u used to sent the all the telemetry data n not just the voltage). Only after further reading that i found out i've made myself a fool by trying to get something done with the wrong tool.

I rest my case. U r the man TC. Now need to get me those Rx with digital port :D

timecop

Post by timecop »

You can still get voltage telemetry, just hookup appropriate resistor divider to A1/A2 ports and configure divider value in transmitter module. But yeah, nothing to do with Naze in this case.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Hi. :oops:

I flashed my board with latest baseflight dev hex over Baseflight GUI. At the end the message was success. But then when I connect my board with usb cable to computer...blue led goes on. Then red led blinks nad then turns off. And green led turns on and stays on.

Unfortunately I can't connect to GUI anymore.

Tried to short two pads on fc then put usb cabel into usb port. Just power led stays on but can't connect to STM Flash Loader. Is board toasted? :(

timecop

Post by timecop »

No, you probably need to read the manual agian.

scrat

Post by scrat »

timecop wrote:No, you probably need to read the manual agian.

I did several times...I think I'm doing right. But no go. With appy power you mean connect the usb to computer or connect the battery to FC?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Paperclip/tweezers boot pads. keep them shorted. plug in USB.
Are you adding any steps after that, before starting STM Flash Loader?
Make sure baudrate and parity is selected as pics in manual show.
Once you're there, make sure to check 'full erase' when flashing.
Since bootloader is in ROM, you can't delete/whatever it. Damn, I need a macro for this, I've written the previous sentence like 1000 times.

scrat

Post by scrat »

1. Paperclip and tweezers boot pads. Keeping them shorted while pluging in usb.
2. No steps after that expect removing paperclip before starting STM Flash Loader.
3. It si selected like picture in manual.
4. Nothing happens...just error...can't access bootloader.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Try other PC/reinstall drivers/update stm flash loader to latest (not stuff that's for download on google code), etc.
Nothing wrong with hardware.

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF257525
Last edited by timecop on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Sorry TC...but yes you were right...I have doing it wrong...putting FC to bootloader...Now I have secceded. It's working again :)

THX for your help. Learned something new.

One question..before flashing...must I remove all ESC's and Rx cables or not?

timecop

Post by timecop »

If you're just powering by USB, it doesn't matter.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Just with usb.

Thanks again.

criccio

Post by criccio »

Flame shield activated!

So, I fly FPV with this board and a TBS Core for voltage/current and RSSI. I use a FrSky X8R receiver and I'm trying to figure out exactly what the addition of FrSky Telemetry support does for the Rev 5 that I have. What are the actual uses? I'm really just curious, thanks for the help and I love this board!

BTW I just bought 4 Afro ESC's so I hope HobbyKing is still paying you timecop!

timecop

Post by timecop »

Hook it up to digital port of X8R and you can have useless statistics like accelerometer readings, board uptime, and gyro temperature. Yaahaooo.

Treg

Post by Treg »

Hello,
I am new in this forum, i want to use one AfroMini32 board for my nanoquad.
Somebody could provide me specifications for to connect this board to the spektrum satellite.
thanks
Treg

jingej

Post by jingej »

Hello,
i have a strange behavior of the Naze32V4 board. I can only flash firmware when i shorten the boot-loader pins (it never works with the "R-thing") AND when i shortened them and connect to USB the blue LED lit up and the green light a little bit (maybe half brightness) ... but i can flash then with the STM tool. then... when i power up the board with 5V and then i connect to usb i only get strange symbols in the terminal window and i cannot make any settings, BUT when i only use USB then i can. AND when i power it only with USB i also can use multiwii-config normal, but if i power the board with 5V and connect USB i cannot use the GUI, it connects but it dont show anything except the version number and the cycle time. i actually use the baseflight from three days ago...
all this happens since a while before...
and i would like to know wich values i have to enter in the "set align_gyro/acc/mag" because i have turned my board by 90° clockwise because of the access of the USB port in my copter (in the older versions with the x/y/z i had figured out but now it doesnt work)
thanks
Jin'

timecop

Post by timecop »

I dunno what you did with hardware (can't really imagine any failure mode working the way you're describing),
but for the new align stuff, see here:
https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/w ... tVariables
Instead of 234578 different choices with align_xyz you only have 4 choices per sensor (unless you're flipping board upside down) to get it right. You can just do it by trial and error, or you can look at datasheet, see which way X/Y is forward, then note how the sensor is rotated from that (by comparing pin1 dot). Anyway, just try setting each align to 1..4 to rotate. I think MPU6050 is facing forward, so to rotate 90" CW you just set align_gyro and align_acc to 1.

theailer

Post by theailer »

I've had a intermittent faulty USB cable which would render me the same symptoms. Changing the cable ended my frustration ;)

jingej

Post by jingej »

thanks,
i changed the USB cable as well, but dont work....
and...
the gyro/acc (MPU) needs a "2" to work correctly in my case, but i do not get the mag working correctly i tried all settings, nothing works, i think it is something wrong in general in the mag implementation ... so i had for the "old" set parameter to set magX=-1; magY=-3 and magX=-2 (all 3 in "minus")

so all my "old" settings for +90° rotating the board were:

X Y Z
Gyro: -2, 1, -3
ACC: -1, -2, 3
Mag: -1, -3, -2

Thanks

crazyal

Post by crazyal »

the sensors can be aligned via setting the rotation described here: http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/so ... board.h#98 0 is defalult, 1= 0deg, 2=90degCW to sensor orientation(see datasheet) whereas the baseflight default sensor orientation is x-axis -> front and y-axis -> left. It should be really easy to rotate sensors that way and the mag works ;)

jingej

Post by jingej »

i tried that already... mag doesnt work!

timecop

Post by timecop »

but, it does. Did you reset settings to default and recalibrate mag?

alistairr

Post by alistairr »

Thanks for the Cli set variables. Very helpful. The more I learn about this project the more impressed I am.

pacajeff

Post by pacajeff »

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Naze32 Rev5 on Abusemark and should receive the board shortly...
First of all, I am completly new to Multiwii (this will certainly explain my noob question...)
From the manual, I saw that the GPS needs to be connected to RC Input 3 & 4. OK.
From this thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2583 , I know now that I can use a Bluetooth module via RX/TX connector. OK.

But... I didn't managed to find any information on how to connected MinimOSD. So... how to connect it ?
Do I need to use a serial<>I2C converter to connected the GPS instead of using RC Inputs and so connect the OSD on RC input 3/4 ?
Can I really connect at the same time a GPS + Bluetooth + MinimOSD ?

Thanks.

timecop

Post by timecop »

If you're "new to multiwii", I suggest you should try by "flying" first, then figure out the rest of the shit.

pacajeff

Post by pacajeff »

LOL,

I will timecop, I will.
I won't tune PIDs while flying FPV, for sure...
That's funny I was suspecting this kind of answer from you...
But you have the answer, so can you just tell me how I will have to proceed to connect MinimSOD after having numerous first flights ? And I won't bother you anymore...

timecop

Post by timecop »

I actually have no idea since I don't use MinimOSD. But if it uses MSP protocol, then you can only connect it to the serial port in the center of the board (together with BT, I presume). They may or may not work together, but I guess you get to figure that one out :)

pacajeff

Post by pacajeff »

Thanks timecop !

scrat

Post by scrat »

Ok. My Naze is flying now very well. Very locked-in feeling. Angle mode works. Baro works. A little bit of PID tuning for baro is needed. But...my GPS doesn't work. Before with MWii was working like it is should. But now no.

I have GPS u-blox NEO-6 Crius V2 form rctimer. I can see in uCenter that gps is talking with 115200 baudrate and 5hz UBX+NMEA and with MiniGPS software is the same.

I have connected Rx from GPS to third (Tx) pin on Naze and Tx from GPS to fourth (Rx) and VCC and GND cable to one free motor connection(5V) . I can see in Baseflight GUI and MWii GUI that GPS circle is blinking but after 15 minutes outside there is no lock. What is the problem?

With CLI I have set feature gps, gps_baudrate=115200 and gps_type=1.

Could you be so kind and help me?

Thanks.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Feel free to debug the issue (if any) and submit a patch.

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

scrat wrote:Ok. My Naze is flying now very well. Very locked-in feeling. Angle mode works. Baro works. A little bit of PID tuning for baro is needed. But...my GPS doesn't work. Before with MWii was working like it is should. But now no.

I have GPS u-blox NEO-6 Crius V2 form rctimer. I can see in uCenter that gps is talking with 115200 baudrate and 5hz UBX+NMEA and with MiniGPS software is the same.

I have connected Rx from GPS to third (Tx) pin on Naze and Tx from GPS to fourth (Rx) and VCC and GND cable to one free motor connection(5V) . I can see in Baseflight GUI and MWii GUI that GPS circle is blinking but after 15 minutes outside there is no lock. What is the problem?

With CLI I have set feature gps, gps_baudrate=115200 and gps_type=1.

Could you be so kind and help me?

Thanks.

You could try Crashpilot1000's Harakiri fork, I can confirm GPS (Pos Hold & RTH) working quite well there with the same GPS reciever.

http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3524

At the very least it will confirm your hardware setup if debugging code isn't your forte

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

He is on naze rev v5 so it won't work right now.
@pacajeff: When outside the ublox should change it's own blinking pattern when it has esablished a lock. You will need some 6x6cm shield(alu/aluminium foil/copper etc) under your gps for good reception - don't go without it. Depending on your ucenter configuration of your ublox you can even connect in poor nmea mode (with the correct baudrates of course).

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

pacajeff wrote:Hi All,

I recently purchased a Naze32 Rev5 on Abusemark and should receive the board shortly...
First of all, I am completly new to Multiwii (this will certainly explain my noob question...)
From the manual, I saw that the GPS needs to be connected to RC Input 3 & 4. OK.
From this thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2583 , I know now that I can use a Bluetooth module via RX/TX connector. OK.

But... I didn't managed to find any information on how to connected MinimOSD. So... how to connect it ?
Do I need to use a serial<>I2C converter to connected the GPS instead of using RC Inputs and so connect the OSD on RC input 3/4 ?
Can I really connect at the same time a GPS + Bluetooth + MinimOSD ?

Thanks.

The minimOSD connects to the same pins as the bluetooth module. You can run one, or the other, but not both.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

You can use the TeamKVOSD firmware on the MinimOSD to alter PID settings via the OSD display so you might be able to live without bluetooth if you get the OSD working fully.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

teslahed wrote:You can use the TeamKVOSD firmware on the MinimOSD to alter PID settings via the OSD display so you might be able to live without bluetooth if you get the OSD working fully.

Just do all your PID tuning by LOS. then when its done, remove the bluetooth and replace with OSD.

Once you are done with PID tuning, you wont ever use the bluetooth again.