Naze32 hardware discussion thread

timecop

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

Yes, as far as I know. some old version, unless they keep track of releases.
All of those sensors are supported, you might have to play with orientation settings for each one to get it pointing in right direction.
But that's easy with cli.
Last edited by timecop on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

timecop wrote:Yes, as far as I know. some old version, unless they keep track of releases.

Well!! I be....

timecop

Post by timecop »

copterrichie wrote:Well!! I be....

... ordering some? Please.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

timecop wrote:
copterrichie wrote:Well!! I be....

... ordering some? Please.

No, when I do again, it will be the real deal. Seriously. Been meaning to do the right thing with the previous one, just have not had the funds available.

shaktar

Post by shaktar »

I think the guy complaining about the price should be pitied as he cannot help being an idiot.

I bought my naze last week it arrived today. Bloody quick delivery if you ask me.

The thing slid out of the jiffy bag onto my desk and left me thinking sh** that's tiny!!!!!!

Gonna run this in a spider framed hex in a direct comparison to another spider with an aducopter board & Naza "know, I know" but I want to test all three to see what happens.

I will report back between trips offshore

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

I can save you some time, nothing will beat Naza. It's amazing.

shaktar wrote:Gonna run this in a spider framed hex in a direct comparison to another spider with an aducopter board & Naza "know, I know" but I want to test all three to see what happens.

shaktar

Post by shaktar »

But that's NOT really the point of me doing it, I WANT to do it because I can. And to just mess about coming to MY own conclusions. Time is not a consideration.

zelea2

Re: Naze32 price

Post by zelea2 »

timecop wrote:You're welcome to buy any of the compatible kcopter clones off goodluckbuy with stm32, if you're too poor for $20

I'm not poor, I can afford whatever electronics I want.
All I'm saying is that a price of nearly £42 has quite a lot of margin for a ~10$ BOM. The 2 layer 5x5cm PCB is sub dollar are there is nothing special about the schematic. It's just an ARM with sensors hooked to various pins. If I want to reproduce the exact schematic I don't even have to look at the board, the defines from the code are enough.

timecop wrote:
zelea2 wrote:Why is this board Naze32 so expensive?
I know it's not the processor because I use the STM32F103 in one of my commercial projects and
we are paying 1.50$ for this part (in large quantities).

I''ll gladly buy F103CB from you in trays for $1.50.

I am an electronics design engineer at a large company and that's the price we are paying for an F103RB but it's true that we are chewing some 10K processors per month.

Of course you are entitled to request whatever price you choose for your design but with projects like OpenPilot and ARM processors with FPU from ST, TI and the like these 32bit boards will come done in price in a short time. I already own 4 autopilot boards for my models and I don't have an immediate use for another so I can wait.

crazylittle

Post by crazylittle »

Openpilot's $200 if you can find somebody willing to sell their board second hand.

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

Cost of manufacturing an iphone is around $200, sells for around $800. Just saying.

zelea2 wrote:I am an electronics design engineer at a large company...

Perhaps you should leave the business commentary to the suits then.

timecop

Post by timecop »

zelea2 wrote:I'm not poor, I can afford whatever electronics I want.
All I'm saying is that a price of nearly £42 has quite a lot of margin for a ~10$ BOM. The 2 layer 5x5cm PCB is sub dollar are there is nothing special about the schematic. It's just an ARM with sensors hooked to various pins. If I want to reproduce the exact schematic I don't even have to look at the board, the defines from the code are enough.

Of course you are entitled to request whatever price you choose for your design but with projects like OpenPilot and ARM processors with FPU from ST, TI and the like these 32bit boards will come done in price in a short time. I already own 4 autopilot boards for my models and I don't have an immediate use for another so I can wait.

Hey, so it sounds like you wanna take over my sourcing / manufacturing operations, so what's stopping you?

But to give you a rough idea,
1) The PCB is NOT made in China. If you've seen it, you'd notice the difference from your typical 10 for $10 deals that shit joints like seeedstudio push and that most "for profit" multicopter dudes use for production. It doesn't cost $10 per panel but it's not $0.01 either.
2) I assemble these myself, instead of outsourcing to 13 year old chinese girls who get paid $0.01 per hour. While my time might be worthless, I can only do about 8 panels per day (6 boards on each), so if a bunch of people get this shit, I kind of have to waste a whole day on this shit and it becomes bothersome. Remember, I'm just doing this for a hobby.
3) I could buy MPU6050's from dodgy Chinese places for $2/ea or I can get them from my usual supplier for more and be guaranteed they work and have a way to RMA/replace if the batch is indeed shitty (hasn't happened yet, only one dead pitch gyro out of >1000 mpu6050s used.)
4) Then I have to mail this shit out, which involves you know, real money at the post office, and people like to order 8 escs at same time to bumfucknowhere, usa and think $4 flat rate airmail shipping will get it there.

So yeah, if you consider my time is worthless, I can easily give these away at BOM cost, but then I'll just be wasting my time, and stop doing it. You're welcome to step up and flood the market with "cheap 32bit flight controllers" or whatever. Maybe your boss will let you run the assembly line at night for your hobby manufacture.

vdjc

Post by vdjc »

I don't mean to meddle in things that are none of my business, but I tried a bunch of flight controllers, and from my point of view this card is without doubt the best value for money.
If timecop is doing margin (I hope he do), then other flight controller manufacturers are doing a lot more!!
In addition, I’m following this thread since a while (including on rcgroups), and timecop never hesitated to replace some “defective” boards at its own expense, even when the board was visibly destroyed because of an improper connection by the end user.
He also spends a lot of time for support on this forum (not always tactful :lol: but I understand this).
For all the reasons, you can't only refer to the BOM cost, and telling that the Naze32 is expensive is imho a wrong judgment.

JUERGEN_

Post by JUERGEN_ »

Hallo timecop,

you change ESC
you own FC
why then 2ms PWM from the Stone Age? :roll:
where is the evolution?

QUAX 4KHz uses PWM to ESC.

JUERGEN_

Post by JUERGEN_ »

zelea2 wrote:...

it's just hot air.
stir things go elsewhere. :shock:

I'm glad that works for us one Timecop.

msev

Post by msev »

+1 Juergen!

In the multicopter buisness you won't find a more honest guy than timecop. :geek:

rotary65

Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by rotary65 »

Moaning about the price of the board? Really? Man, are you in the wrong place.

This is not a money-making business, it's a hobby. Don't ruin the fun by making it about money.

The time put in by timecop and others in bringing this system to where it is today is truly immeasurable; couldn't put a price on it. I am grateful these guys have done all this work and see fit to share it with others so that they can have fun too. It's cool and amazing that it all works.

Someday I hope to contribute to the project and give back in the same spirit.

Thanks for sharing this cool stuff with us timecop. I appreciate it!!

timecop

Post by timecop »

JUERGEN_ wrote:Hallo timecop,

you change ESC
you own FC
where is the evolution?

Nothing is stopping simonk firmware from being recompiled for shorter period.
But is there a benefit? No.

rcsnow

Post by rcsnow »

22€ for stm32 based FC from Japan to Europe?
I take this deal anyday without even thinking for a second I would make something like that on my own.
Timecop is a total boss for making this board and updating the firmware period.
There is no other like him.

I have my naze32 in a sport quad and I love it:

Count

Post by Count »

crazylittle wrote:Openpilot's $200 if you can find somebody willing to sell their board second hand.

OT:
http://www.drotek.fr/shop/en/149-fc-cop ... pilot.html

davidwp56

Post by davidwp56 »

Does it really cost more than $4 flat rate shipping to bumfucknowhere USA!!??

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

Think it's overpriced ?, well i'v got two and i by a third any day.
Btw Quanton fc is 128€ just ordered one :-)
Last edited by Gimbal on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Hi
My rev4 board stopped responding, the green led are flashing/blinking strange.
It starts solid and ends with rapid flahing/blinking, no red led activity.
Cant connect with BT or usb to Cli or Mwii.
Any ideas.... ?

nicog

Post by nicog »

Maybe force the boot loader to run and reflash the board. Pow at the manual house to do the short cut.

DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

nicog wrote: Pow at the manual house to do the short cut.

I don't understand what you meen ?

I made a video of the led-issue.
http://youtu.be/mnMgHV7AR7Y

3rdeyepro

Post by 3rdeyepro »

Do I set the beeper voltage in the wii gui? I slide it to a value and hit write but it doesn't seem to take. I am getting a voltage reading through the gui fine.

timecop

Post by timecop »

DrEvil wrote:

never seen that and I can't really imagine how that can happen, either, so yeah as others said, reflash using bootloader pins, and make sure to 'erase all' in flash loader to make sure it wasn't some weird settings that screwed you over. otherwise, its fried.
Last edited by timecop on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

3rdeyepro wrote:Do I set the beeper voltage in the wii gui? I slide it to a value and hit write but it doesn't seem to take. I am getting a voltage reading through the gui fine.

what slider? what gui?

the only way as far as I Know is using vbatmincellvoltage in cli, otherwise if its something new that was added in 2.2-dev/pre stuff, it will be in main code once 2.2 is released. If you mean Palarm slider, thats something completely different (and unsupported).

3rdeyepro

Post by 3rdeyepro »

OK, will try to figure out how to set in cli, I only saw how to disable in your documentation.

DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

timecop wrote:
DrEvil wrote:

never seen that and I can't really imagine how that can happen, either, so yeah as others said, reflash using bootloader pins, and make sure to 'erase all' in flash loader to make sure it wasn't some weird settings that screwed you over. otherwise, its fried.

Ok, i'm hoping for a setting issue as this happend on the bench and while i was making adjustments in Cli on BT.
So, bootloader pins it is ! ;-)

jseyfert3

Post by jseyfert3 »

3rdeyepro wrote:OK, will try to figure out how to set in cli, I only saw how to disable in your documentation.

"set vbatmincellvoltage = 31" (3.1 volts)
It'll say: "vbatmincellvoltage set to 31"

codeforge

Post by codeforge »

anyone can enable tri and gimbal stabilization at the same time?

if i set tri and enable servo_tilt in naze32 from serial it won't found as gimbal but only as tri.
Is there a way to modify the source code like in multiwii with arduino ide?

sorry for noob asks

timecop

Post by timecop »

Possible in hardware, code doesn't support it.
Feel free to submit a patch.

JUERGEN_

Post by JUERGEN_ »

Hello timecop,

when Simon 30A Brushless ESC [Rapid-ESC ] are back in stock?

:?:

timecop

Post by timecop »

Just reordered today,,, so.. 5-6 day from now I guess.
After RFM22BP's :)

DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Ok, got my rev4 Hexa working again after shorting Bootloader pins and global erase when flashing new baseflight.
Had an FPV-flight in gyro-mode an got brave over white snow surface.......

Result's :

hexa-vrak.png
(107.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet

bragasil

Post by bragasil »

hello!

sorry if I'm in the wrong session!

I would ask permission to join the group afrodevices in google groups.

I'm from Brazil.

I am a researcher and programmer and quad project already two years.

thank you!

timecop

Post by timecop »

Nothing is stopping you from checking the code from afrodevices, or better yet, using the automatically-updated github repo here : https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight
You don't need write access to afrodevices, though.

bragasil

Post by bragasil »

ok timecop, thank you!

JUERGEN_

Post by JUERGEN_ »

timecop wrote:
JUERGEN_ wrote:Hallo timecop,
you change ESC
you own FC
where is the evolution?

Nothing is stopping simonk firmware from being recompiled for shorter period.
But is there a benefit? No.

:arrow: http://vimeo.com/61127136

:shock:

timecop

Post by timecop »

Figured this trash would show up here, too.
And here's my reply: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=17

crazylittle

Post by crazylittle »

DrEvil wrote:I made a video of the led-issue.

By the way, I ran into a similar problem when playing around with a bluetooth serial adapter, and I think you might be doing the same thing: Make sure your bluetooth serial module doesn't send any extra text to the Naze32 board on startup or on connect. Whenever I'd connect to my Bolutek module it would tell the Naze board something like: "CONNECT RATE BLAH BLAH BLAH" And that extra text puts the board into its boot-loader flashing mode. I resolved it by turning off the AT+ENABLEIND option.

hadriez

Post by hadriez »

I've been using acro naze32 for the past 4 months and I have 3 of em. two of them works just fine. I'm having some trouble disarming the motors on the third board (arming is ok). same baseflight, same settings on my radio, same settings in CLI, same settings in GUI and it all flies the same. WTF did i do wrong? been cracking my head trying to figure out what I missed out. any hints?

timecop

Post by timecop »

You sure your endpoints on tx are 1000..2000?
You might have a marginal one thats close to default min/maxcheck, and you're just on the edge of hitting/not hitting it and individual crystal/component variance makes it fail? Just a guess.

Also, you could try flashing latest firmware, using the new 'dump' command to save your settings (or just save them elsewhere/whatever), then flashing again, this time selecting "erase all sectors" in flash loader - to make sure there aren't some leftover settings from upgrade that are fucking it up.

hadriez

Post by hadriez »

the endpoints on the radio is like rule number 1 lol..yeap sure I've done that.
I've tried flashing the latest firware several times already before this but to no avail. and yeah the option to erase everything is also done.
it's kinda of weird because I have a quad using naze32 and had the vertical pins. so all i wanted to do is to swap that board with another which has the horizontal pins soldered but unfortunately I can't disarm it once I've armed the motors. both boards has the exact same settings and it flies perfectly fine.

If you got some other solution this, I'll give it try. Else I'll just the knob (AUX2) on my radio to arm/disarm - I can live with this lol

timecop

Post by timecop »

This is one of those "can't happen" things.
Having written all the code for this stuff, I can't imagine something like that getting triggered.

crazylittle

Post by crazylittle »

If it's arm/disarm points then it's pretty easy to confirm on the bench with multiwiigui. Use it to check the TX input values in realtime.

codeforge

Post by codeforge »

Hi,
i read a changelog message from google code afrodevices revision r149:
"fix for pwm preload (not possible with this firmware, reported by marcin)
added gimbal flags to mixer. allows making gimbal tilt only or pantilt or
disabling all pan/tilt by aux3/4"

As you can see i read "pantilt" so my question is, can i use naze32 to control a 360 gimbal? And if so, how to configure and where attach the 3 servos to it?

Sorry for my bad english

thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

You can attach as many servos as you want, as long as you wanna write code for it. There are total 14 hardware PWM inputs/outputs which can be configured in various ways.

codeforge

Post by codeforge »

ok and what kind of compiler i must use?

timecop

Post by timecop »

If you have to ask, you're probably not qualified to know. official development is done with keil mdk, but there are makefile/scripts for gcc-arm-embedded.

There are some instructions (might be outdated, I don't know as I don't use them) for eclipse/gcc here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=740