Naze32 hardware discussion thread

timecop

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

Then maybe you can google for DX6 and multiwii and see what others do. I don't know as I use the cheap 9XR w/ER9X firmware and FrSky transmitter module. I have no problem bringing the outputs to the required range with this setup.

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

I will try again to google it, I have even used youtube , I need a better radio.. I find more each day
Would a dx8 be better? I can trade my heli for one ,seeing i never flew it yet either :) i guess i should have got the 9x long ago, I have so many spektrum receivers tho been holding off

The hard part is the closest thing to a quad in this area is an ardrone sold at the only hobby shop in 200 miles, and i dont know anyone into aircraft at all locally

heres my radio limits max that I can get so far
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... 0radio.jpg

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

I see a lot of people strugling with rc ranges. According to the manual it should be 1000-2000, but I had to set it between 950 and 2050 to be able to arm and stuff. How can this be explained? Is it possible to change that?

By the way for people who didn't know there is a way to calibrate esc's through the naze.....just be creative through the cli with mincommand and make sure you remove the props ;)

bob4432

Post by bob4432 »

1000-2000 have been the range since i think the beginning of multiwii, and probabaly tens of thousands of people are using it, so i doubt alex is going to change the code because of a single problem. my stuff arms perfectly fine @ 1000-2000 and has for years.

there are enough noobs in here, trying to be creative w/ the cli just because you don't want to make 4 connections to rx is going to end up bad. if you are having issues getting the proper throws, you are more than likely will arm and not know it and then you will have a blender in your face. just plug in the escs to the throttle of your rx 4x. maybe your issue w/ arming comes from trying to shortcut plugging in the escs 4x - are you really in that big of a hurry?

search is your friend. and if my posts seem a bit terse, these questions have been asked thousands of times, literally - the answers are already on this forum or a google search, you are not the first to encounter this or that abnormality.

garbungel wrote:I see a lot of people strugling with rc ranges. According to the manual it should be 1000-2000, but I had to set it between 950 and 2050 to be able to arm and stuff. How can this be explained? Is it possible to change that?

By the way for people who didn't know there is a way to calibrate esc's through the naze.....just be creative through the cli with mincommand and make sure you remove the props ;)

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

What makes the google search tricky is you end up with conflicting results where people have troubleshooted there problems and came up with didferent solutions related to their hardware , that is fine if you also have the same, in the same aspect you get solutions related to older code that have changed since then, I always do the x 4 limits via the receiver first, then only to find someone saying that the FC controls the endpoints and it should be done through it or it will be off whack
I understand that this new technology is all experimental and changes everyday ,what worked yesterday might not work today
I also can't remember when buying a vcr or dvd player it's required that you sift through google or forums to learn how to set one up
usually its functions and setup are covered in a manual to atleast get the end user going, I do understand that this tecnology can't be tested by the developer on every type of radio,receiver and esc, and would'nt expect everyone to be covered in the manual ,especially when it's a fun hobby for the developer and not a job

I have wrote a couple tutorials myself on connecting hardware in the past, and it's hard to take into account all aspects of changes hardware types
So i really understand how it is
One example : http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki ... etryAPC220

I'm not one to get detered away from something just because I have trouble understanding it, It gives me something to learn more, I'll get it sooner or later :D

timecop

Post by timecop »

garbungel wrote:By the way for people who didn't know there is a way to calibrate esc's through the naze.....just be creative through the cli with mincommand and make sure you remove the props ;)

haha, wow, now that's an awesome idea.
I wonder if I should document it in the manual :)

bob4432

Post by bob4432 »

i just googled 'naze32 dx6i' and found an rcg thread where you claim you got it all set up???? - http://bit.ly/12xkgf4

so what are you having issues w/? tc has already stated he took out the fc endpoint calibration feature a long time ago due to safety issues.

irun4fundotca wrote:What makes the google search tricky is you end up with conflicting results where people have troubleshooted there problems and came up with didferent solutions related to their hardware , that is fine if you also have the same, in the same aspect you get solutions related to older code that have changed since then, I always do the x 4 limits via the receiver first, then only to find someone saying that the FC controls the endpoints and it should be done through it or it will be off whack
I understand that this new technology is all experimental and changes everyday ,what worked yesterday might not work today
I also can't remember when buying a vcr or dvd player it's required that you sift through google or forums to learn how to set one up
usually its functions and setup are covered in a manual to atleast get the end user going, I do understand that this tecnology can't be tested by the developer on every type of radio,receiver and esc, and would'nt expect everyone to be covered in the manual ,especially when it's a fun hobby for the developer and not a job

I have wrote a couple tutorials myself on connecting hardware in the past, and it's hard to take into account all aspects of changes hardware types
So i really understand how it is
One example : http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki ... etryAPC220

I'm not one to get detered away from something just because I have trouble understanding it, It gives me something to learn more, I'll get it sooner or later :D

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

Well my problems were not related to endpoints or limits at the time that was wrote, I was trying to get it working period, the windows flash would not work from my computer so I tried to get the dos version commandline flasher to work, until I finally was told the thread was moved to here
and the first time I asked what my problem was with a screenshot it was resolved, so I then went back and posted that my problem was resolved in that thread, unknown to me that there was so much more required to do
, hence why Im dealing with calibrating my esc's now ,most of was my mistake ..if its not broke, dont fix it kinda thing, but I wanted to use the cli that everyone seemed to be refering too in threads , as I was using the multiwingui before now

before the 1st working flash they were spinning up evenly
then i flashed it and the cli was missing some check boxes (old vers of cli) to arm it ,after an update of the cli, it fixed that ,
Now my board arms ok and everything spins up but a few motors are slow and some are fast especially the rear left closest to me
so I figured a reset of the esc's would maybe solve the issue, but I am having trouble getting them to set the limits or enter setup mode to set them
when I disconnect and reconnect power they are still acting like I never did anything , thats why I asked if there was a special way to set them before here

timecop

Post by timecop »

midrc is probably wrong.

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

bob4432 wrote:1000-2000 have been the range since i think the beginning of multiwii, and probabaly tens of thousands of people are using it, so i doubt alex is going to change the code because of a single problem. my stuff arms perfectly fine @ 1000-2000 and has for years.

there are enough noobs in here, trying to be creative w/ the cli just because you don't want to make 4 connections to rx is going to end up bad. if you are having issues getting the proper throws, you are more than likely will arm and not know it and then you will have a blender in your face. just plug in the escs to the throttle of your rx 4x. maybe your issue w/ arming comes from trying to shortcut plugging in the escs 4x - are you really in that big of a hurry?

I was just wondering why these things were not adjustable variables, but I don't mind it at all :D. There is so much configurable like things for tri servos and stuff, but not this.

I am not really having any issue now actually and sometimes it's just so damn nice to calibrate through the FC, when you have a quadcopter where everything is built in and you have to unscrew a lot to get there. It can definatelly save a lot of time time and if you know what you are doing it's even better.
I actually think that calibrating through the tx/rx is not the best option, cause the endpoints are not the same like from the FC and some people end up with lack of power without knowing it.

I don't know if it was documented, but I didn't find it nowhere.

For folks who want to know how I did it.
Let's say you want to configure your ESC's between 1000 and 1850us.
1.) REMOVE PROPS and unplug your lipo ofcourse.
2.) Login to the cli and type 'set mincommand = 1850' and hit enter to execute
3.) Prepare already 'set mincommand = 1000' but don't hit enter before next step is completed!
4.) Now plug in your lipo and wait till ESC's make calibrating sound as they detect high throttle input
5.) Now quickly hit enter and you will hear all ESC's will detect low throttle input on 'set mincommand = 1000'.

And done! You should test it caryfully before putting props on it, that the motors spin and react normally when armed. You also might repeat this if you're not sure that some ESC's passed. You can always do it one by one ofcourse if you want.
Last edited by garbungel on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

they ARE adjustable if you know what you're doing.

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

timecop wrote:they ARE adjustable if you know what you're doing.

That's great, but where?

timecop

Post by timecop »

using 'set' in cli.

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

Ok I did the midrc thingy in the cli and so far it seems to be ok (Thanks! :))
when I lift off, it raises higher on the rear end, tilting forward, with just a slight touch of the right stick back will hold it even , I just need to get home to connect back up and adjust something, I'll have to do some reading

Thanks guys

jingej

Post by jingej »

irun4fundotca wrote:Ok I did the midrc thingy in the cli and so far it seems to be ok (Thanks! :))
when I lift off, it raises higher on the rear end, tilting forward, with just a slight touch of the right stick back will hold it even , I just need to get home to connect back up and adjust something, I'll have to do some reading

Thanks guys

are you sure that you calibrated the ESCs correctly?

timecop

Post by timecop »

The problem is his rc calibration, not escs.
non-calibrated escs still fly.

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

timecop wrote:using 'set' in cli.

Lol.....which set command. I know there is midrc, but there is nothing like max and min rc?

LeoWie

Post by LeoWie »

'lol' + not read the manual = ?

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

LeoWie wrote:'lol' + not read the manual = ?

I did read the manual, but didn't manage to find it. Do you have a link of the manual where you found it. Perhaps it's an old or different manual? Thanks in advance.

gompf-2

Post by gompf-2 »

Hi,

naze32_rev1.pdf, p8, CLI

Code: Select all

Entering CLI Mode, type 'exit' to return, or 'help'

# set
Current settings:
deadband = 0
yawdeadband = 0
alt_hold_throttle_neutral = 20
midrc = 1500
minthrottle = 1150
maxthrottle = 1850
mincommand = 1000
mincheck = 1100
maxcheck = 1900
retarded_arm = 0
failsafe_delay = 10
failsafe_off_delay = 200
failsafe_throttle = 1200
motor_pwm_rate = 400
servo_pwm_rate = 50
serial_baudrate = 115200
gps_baudrate = 115200
spektrum_hires = 0
vbatscale = 110
vbatmaxcellvoltage = 43
vbatmincellvoltage = 33
power_adc_channel = 0
yaw_direction = 1
tri_yaw_middle = 1500
tri_yaw_min = 1020
tri_yaw_max = 2000
wing_left_min = 1020
wing_left_mid = 1500
wing_left_max = 2000
wing_right_min = 1020
wing_right_mid = 1500
wing_right_max = 2000
pitch_direction_l = 1
pitch_direction_r = -1
roll_direction_l = 1
roll_direction_r = 1
gimbal_flags = 1
gimbal_pitch_gain = 10
gimbal_roll_gain = 10
gimbal_pitch_min = 1020
gimbal_pitch_max = 2000
gimbal_pitch_mid = 1500
gimbal_roll_min = 1020
gimbal_roll_max = 2000
gimbal_roll_mid = 1500
align_gyro_x = 0
align_gyro_y = 0
align_gyro_z = 0
align_acc_x = 0
align_acc_y = 0
align_acc_z = 0
align_mag_x = -2
align_mag_y = -3
align_mag_z = 1
acc_hardware = 0
acc_lpf_factor = 4
acc_lpf_for_velocity = 10
acc_trim_pitch = 0
acc_trim_roll = 0
gyro_lpf = 42
gyro_cmpf_factor = 400
mpu6050_scale = 1
baro_tab_size = 21
baro_noise_lpf =  0.600
baro_cf =  0.985
moron_threshold = 32
mag_declination = 0
gps_type = 0
gps_pos_p = 11
gps_pos_i = 0
gps_pos_d = 0
gps_posr_p = 20
gps_posr_i = 8
gps_posr_d = 45
gps_nav_p = 14
gps_nav_i = 20
gps_nav_d = 80
gps_wp_radius = 200
nav_controls_heading = 1
nav_speed_min = 100
nav_speed_max = 300
nav_slew_rate = 30
looptime = 0
p_pitch = 40
i_pitch = 30
d_pitch = 23
p_roll = 40
i_roll = 30
d_roll = 23
p_yaw = 85
i_yaw = 45
d_yaw = 0
p_alt = 16
i_alt = 15
d_alt = 7
p_level = 70
i_level = 10
d_level = 20

#

I know there is midrc, but there is nothing like max and min rc?
To late to think about that now but "set" is functional, maybe min/maxcheck also shifts the range.

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

I set mine to what my radio reads on the live readings:

midrc = 1521
minthrottle = 995
maxthrottle = 1928
mincommand = 1000
mincheck = 993
maxcheck = 1936

i wasnt sure about the min/maxcheck so i set them to my switch low and high points

timecop

Post by timecop »

post a screenshot of your GUI with transmitter connected and all sticks except throttle centered.

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

Here you go
Last edited by irun4fundotca on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

well, geez i should have specified multiwiiconf-gui the java shite.
anyway, rc looks fine.
and if it leans around in gyro-only mode, I have no idea.
if it leans in acc mode, then clearly your acc isn't level or you didn't trim accelerometer (NOT rc trim)

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

Ok thanks it might have been off level where I tested it perhaps

I messed things up again ,now it comes on and wont unthrottle or disengage the motors after a few seconds working past the mid throttle point
The only way to get it to stop is to kill all power and restart it even the switches dont do anything ,they work fine arming and enabling level before I give it throttle
no stick control at all

When i bought this the former owner said he couldnt get it working right, so I have no idea what might have occured with it before
It was a bonus in the sale anyway ,I've just had high hopes to get it working rather than any of my other fc's
just wish I understood code and settings better

timecop

Post by timecop »

why would you even bother "enabling level" before giving throttle? If you can't make it take off in gyro mode, start there, not by enabling other shit. if I had to guess, your mincheck/maxcheck are too close / too far from the actual stick throws... so its not working. mincheck must be 10-30points ABOVE minimum value, maxcheck, 10-30 points BELOW maximum..

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

well I have'nt been enabling level to try it, what I said is the switches worked to enable it and to arm prior to using the throttle, after the motors spin up with throttle(while armed) they stay on, after about 15 seconds nothing works, the motors keep going on there own(about 3/4 speed) , no matter what I do, Unless I unplug the lipo they will continue to spin until the battery dies

it's just been common practice for me to try both switches to make sure both modes work by seeing the leds light up before I try anything else, so i know my switch limits are working

timecop

Post by timecop »

And you're running latest firmware? When it's not doing anything, do you get angle light blinking if stuff is tilted > 25 degrees?

irun4fundotca

Post by irun4fundotca »

I did the update using the program from the screenshot
and yeah when I tilt it, it blinks when I move it until level again
Until I tried the update tonight, it was'nt doing the motor lock on thing,
I did the update because my settings were changed so much, I figured I could revert back to defaults and start over by updating

rcsnow

Post by rcsnow »

I am wondering about Yaw rate/sensitivity. There is a rate next to Yaw (as it is next to Pitch/Roll) which decreases P D values with stick deviation and there is RC rate which affects Pitch and Roll rates.
Why is there no Yaw RC rate? How can I increase Yaw rate?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Thats what the rate next to PID for Yaw is.
Making it larger makes the quad spin faster. A lot faster.

rcsnow

Post by rcsnow »

Will try, tnx.

Will frsky adapter be coming back to store anytime soon?

FlyinGizm0

Post by FlyinGizm0 »

just if anyone is searching for the PPM settings for a graupner sum signal receiver:

map TAER1234

does the trick.

BUT my baro is not working! I got the white NAZE32 and the July2012 Firmware is on it but I dont see a baro. I was able to connect Bluetooth and everything works fine but no baor :-(

any hints?

thanks
Gerald

ABL

Post by ABL »

FlyinGizm0 wrote:BUT my baro is not working! I got the white NAZE32 and the July2012 Firmware is on it but I dont see a baro. I was able to connect Bluetooth and everything works fine but no baor :-(

You're using very old firmware.
This was discussed many times in this and other threads, simple search would answer this immediately...
And manual also states, that firmware is available here:
http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/source/browse/trunk/baseflight/obj/baseflight.hex

FlyinGizm0

Post by FlyinGizm0 »

oh thank you! I downloaded from the wrong place :-/ RTFM..... ok I got the right hex file and everything works fine! thanks!!! I will post some PIDs as soon as I dis some flying.
greetings from Austria

FlyinGizm0

Post by FlyinGizm0 »

I didnt fly yet but I just hooked up the naze32 with an rctimer cn06-v2 gps and compared everything with the crius AIO V2. The response in the GUI is MUCH faster.

for both (NAZE32 and CRIUS AIO V2)I have installed

bluetooth
gps cn06-v2
latest Firmware/multiwii-dev
SUM signal from my graupner fr-12 receiver

looks really good!

I have to print a mount for the naze now as I didnt receive my cover with the board but hopefully I will fly soon :-)
greetings from Austria
Gerald

FlyinGizm0

Post by FlyinGizm0 »

If anyone needs a gps cover and mounting adapter. Have a look here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:51088/

electro

Post by electro »

@flyingizm0
did you supply you gps with 3 or 5volts when connecting to the naze32?
The gps ports on the naze32 are only 3volt according to tc
Thanks

FlyinGizm0

Post by FlyinGizm0 »

I took the Power from one of the ESC Connectors (5V).

TheFernMan

Post by TheFernMan »

Can someone comfirm the rev verison on this. Looks like rev3
Confirm, thanks anyways

bob4432

Post by bob4432 »

look at www.abusemark.com

TheFernMan wrote:Can someone comfirm the rev verison on this. Looks like rev3
Confirm, thanks anyways

FlyinGizm0

Post by FlyinGizm0 »

you mean the Version of the GPS? I am using v2 (its written on the board)

jseyfert3

Post by jseyfert3 »

Okay, I'm back with another question. I finally found my telemetry adapter, and I have it wired up, along with a buzzer, and the voltage monitor pins. And I can't get it to work. So, here's what I did:
  • Rx: FrSky D6FR
  • Wired to A2 port. I found something about A1 vs A2, does it only work on A1? The Rx lists A1 as being in the positive pin, so is that what I need to do?
  • I searched all 70 pages here for "telemetry", couldn't find anything beside the A1 vs A2, which was for a D4, not a D6.
  • "Status" in CLI will give 12.2V, so the voltage monitor is working.
  • Found that FC must be armed, still nothing.

jseyfert3

Post by jseyfert3 »

jseyfert3 wrote:Okay, I'm back with another question. I finally found my telemetry adapter, and I have it wired up, along with a buzzer, and the voltage monitor pins. And I can't get it to work. So, here's what I did:
  • Rx: FrSky D6FR
  • Wired to A2 port. I found something about A1 vs A2, does it only work on A1? The Rx lists A1 as being in the positive pin, so is that what I need to do?
  • I searched all 70 pages here for "telemetry", couldn't find anything beside the A1 vs A2, which was for a D4, not a D6.
  • "Status" in CLI will give 12.2V, so the voltage monitor is working.
  • Found that FC must be armed, still nothing.

Never mind, please ignore me as I beat my head against the wall and go buy a receiver with a digital input... :evil:

timecop

Post by timecop »

Ya, for telemetry you will need D4R-II or D8R (or maybe some new ones I dunno, but those 2 are ones I have that work).

zelea2

Naze32 price

Post by zelea2 »

Why is this board Naze32 so expensive?

You can buy two KK2.0 or three and a half stm32f3 discovery boards for the price of one Naze32.
I know it's not the processor because I use the STM32F103 in one of my commercial projects and
we are paying 1.50$ for this part (in large quantities).

I guess this high price is only because there is not enough competition yet in the 32bit arena.

crazylittle

Post by crazylittle »

Naze32 at the time of its release was half the price of the next closest MWC board with the same 10DOF IMU. Heck, even now there's atmega MWC boards asking for $150, shipping not included. 5,500 JPY is less than half that price.

jseyfert3

Re: Naze32 price

Post by jseyfert3 »

zelea2 wrote:Why is this board Naze32 so expensive?

You can buy two KK2.0 or three and a half stm32f3 discovery boards for the price of one Naze32.
I know it's not the processor because I use the STM32F103 in one of my commercial projects and

I guess this high price is only because there is not enough competition yet in the 32bit arena.

The guy who made (timecop) it is free to charge whatever he likes for it, and you're free to choose to buy it. Also, I'd like to point out the KK2.0 has no compass or pressure sensor, as this board does. So, it's not the same board.

Oh, BUT WAIT! What's this? It is the same board, without the pressure sensor and six-axis compass, for ¥2000, which is currently US$21.71, which is actually a bit cheaper then the KK2.0 (current price of US$29.99). It still has the same gyro/accel, although it lacks the LCD the KK2.0 board has, it does have a 32-bit processor, and again, it's cheaper. So, do some research before ranting?

timecop

Post by timecop »

You're welcome to buy any of the compatible kcopter clones off goodluckbuy with stm32, if you're too poor for $20
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/index.php?ta ... er&x=0&y=0

oh, wait... their price is also same.

zelea2 wrote:Why is this board Naze32 so expensive?

I''ll gladly buy F103CB from you in trays for $1.50.
Last edited by timecop on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »