Naze32 hardware discussion thread

OleJohan

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by OleJohan »

harpo1 wrote:I have a naze32 rev 5 with my battery voltage connected to the battery pins and the frsky telemetry pins going to the rx and grnd pins on my d4r-II receiver. I also have a house ublox gps connected. I'm getting gps info on my taranis telemetry screen but not the battery voltage. Is this setup not capably of providing the battery telemetry?

You have to check the telemetry display settings on your taranis. You can select different variables yo show on the different screens. Don't recall, but it might be cells or vfas you have to select.

harpo1

Re: Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by harpo1 »

OleJohan wrote:
harpo1 wrote:I have a naze32 rev 5 with my battery voltage connected to the battery pins and the frsky telemetry pins going to the rx and grnd pins on my d4r-II receiver. I also have a house ublox gps connected. I'm getting gps info on my taranis telemetry screen but not the battery voltage. Is this setup not capably of providing the battery telemetry?

You have to check the telemetry display settings on your taranis. You can select different variables yo show on the different screens. Don't recall, but it might be cells or vfas you have to select.

Yeah I figured it out. By the way it was vfas. Thanks.

Olddude

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by Olddude »

double post :) sorry
Last edited by Olddude on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

The dreaded GPS set-up LOL

I have now enable GPS and plugged the rx tx into channel 3 and 4 on the NAZE, also enable gps and moved THR and YAW to channel 5 and 6 .
Problem now is THR and GEAR move together ??
I plug in Throttle to my RX and it moves THR and Yaw slider in Baseflight together ?
HELP:) Iam slightly confused
If i then plug in Yaw both stop working in Baseflight ?
what am i missing here ?
BTW the GPS itself is running just fine ,
# set gps
gps_type = 1
gps_baudrate = 0

timecop

Post by timecop »

Get a PPM receiver, end of story.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Get more UARTS. problem solved.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

Get a PPM receiver, end of story.

LOL,
Cheers
Exactly my thought :) So i took it all out already :)
and instead I am out flying now
I just want to do it cause its possible :)
But apparently I cant so instead I am out to play with it for now .
waiting on D4R-II but even then i don't really think it needs GPS .This Quad is soo cute and small and fast its for close in flying :)
Camera with VTX and OSD is nuff .

Tr3TopFlyer

Post by Tr3TopFlyer »

What supported features would require GPS? is there a RTH or position hold?

harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Tr3TopFlyer wrote:What supported features would require GPS? is there a RTH or position hold?

Yes

Tr3TopFlyer

Post by Tr3TopFlyer »

Wow that's great. I didn't realize as I thought I read a post from timecop that these weren't supported but maybe an old post.

strepto

Post by strepto »

They aren't "supported" as TC isn't interested in GPS.

However, they do work, after a fashion. You will need to do some tuning and don't expect the GPS hold to be super locked in.

And, most importantly, as I have found out the hard way, if you bind return to home as a failsafe, make sure you also bind yourself into stabilised + altitude hold (if you have it) mode too.

Otherwise, if your failsafe is in acro, "return to home" becomes "rapidly return to ground". :o :shock: :(

TC I realise you're not into the GPS and I appreciate that people who want to hover can (and probably should) go grab some nice rubbery DJI stuff, but a decent working failsafe is a real, valid reason to want reliable basic GPS functionality.

Perhaps there's something that can be done about the return to home code to automatically stick it in stabilised (and maybe baro if applicable) mode as well? Just an idea. :)

bourney

Post by bourney »

Naze noob............. help please

I have a naze 32 installed in my quad, but am suffering throttle set up issues.

I have gone through the youtube set up video but dont seem to be able to sort it out.

1)I am having to adjust my endpoints as per the video to 125% - ideally I would like to leave them at 100% if poss?

2)after the set up there is no idle set up - i.e. bottom stick stops the motors (not fun if your flying!)

My throttle settings are below:

In the receiver tab my throttle min is 1102 and throttle max is 1927

In CLI tab my setting are as follows:
# set
Current settings:
looptime = 3500
midrc = 1500
minthrottle = 1150
maxthrottle = 1850
mincommand = 1000
mincheck = 1100
maxcheck = 1900
deadband3d_low = 1406
deadband3d_high = 1514
neutral3d = 1460
deadband3d_throttle = 50
motor_pwm_rate = 400

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

I'm new in Naze32.

I did set up my Ubunto for compile the Naze code.
Via SVN I got the revision 473.

From the SVN download, I got already a baseflight.hex .. that it is ~157Kbyte file.
After compile I get a baseflight_NAZE.hex .. that it is over 200Kbytes

Why the two file don't match in size ? Why makefile does not produce the baseflight.hex ?

Thanks

scrat

Post by scrat »

Olddude wrote:Get a PPM receiver, end of story.

LOL,
Cheers
waiting on D4R-II but even then i don't really think it needs GPS .This Quad is soo cute and small and fast its for close in flying :)

Be sure to update firmware on D4R-II to 27ms - http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... 4R-II_27mS

scrat

Post by scrat »

strepto wrote:They aren't "supported" as TC isn't interested in GPS.

However, they do work, after a fashion. You will need to do some tuning and don't expect the GPS hold to be super locked in.

And, most importantly, as I have found out the hard way, if you bind return to home as a failsafe, make sure you also bind yourself into stabilised + altitude hold (if you have it) mode too.

Otherwise, if your failsafe is in acro, "return to home" becomes "rapidly return to ground". :o :shock: :(

TC I realise you're not into the GPS and I appreciate that people who want to hover can (and probably should) go grab some nice rubbery DJI stuff, but a decent working failsafe is a real, valid reason to want reliable basic GPS functionality.

Perhaps there's something that can be done about the return to home code to automatically stick it in stabilised (and maybe baro if applicable) mode as well? Just an idea. :)

I have set failsafe with my Rx when out of signal Rx switch to RTH - But I always have BARO, MAG, ACC and GPS Home switched on together. But once I did try without ACC and quad did not do "rapidly return to the ground".

My AUX swithces:
Attachments
aux.jpg

scrat

Post by scrat »

Tr3TopFlyer wrote:Wow that's great. I didn't realize as I thought I read a post from timecop that these weren't supported but maybe an old post.

This is my best GPS Pos Hold with baseflight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNA_nCsTM4 i think it's pretty good.

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

What the hell.....

I just wanted to update my naze boards to the latest firmware and BRICKED 2 of them with the latest basflight configurator!
The first board went fine, cause I updated it straight away. THe second board I first connected to read out the settings and save my PIDS and stuff. I disconnected to go into the flasher app and load online firmware. After I tried to update it timed out immediatelly and the blue led is now flashing. I did the same procedure on my 3rd board and same thing happened. I now have 2 BRICKED boards. I am now dismanntling my quads to be able to reach the boot loader pads to try it that way, but really BIG THANKS for the dev team who is testing this.

timecop

Post by timecop »

bricked

A likely scenario.

If your *blue* led is blinking (not actually possible, but I'll believe you), your hardware is fucked, and I can guarantee you "firmware update" had nothing to do with it. Whatever it was that you did, wasn't firmware related.

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

timecop wrote:
bricked

A likely scenario.

If your *blue* led is blinking (not actually possible, but I'll believe you), your hardware is fucked, and I can guarantee you "firmware update" had nothing to do with it. Whatever it was that you did, wasn't firmware related.

The boards are few months old and fine after many upgrades. Like I said it was this specific scenario what fucked it up. I don't know why. I fixed the boards afterwards through STM flashloader by shorting the bootloader pads. Only this was not that easy especially on the rev4 board as I had to remove some stuff to get there.
Summary of my actions in good and bad scenarios.

The scenario was as following (on my 2nd and 3rd board(rev4 and rev5):
connect USB cable
click to connect
after connected read out some settings through cli
click disconnect
go to firmware flasher and do load firmware online
click on flash firmware button -> this takes long time and you get a time out and eventually blue led.

The good scenario on my 1st and 4th board:
connect USB cable
click to connect
after connected read out some settings through cli
click disconnect
DISCONNECT USB CABLE -> main difference as in the above cases didn't disconnect the cable
connect USB cable
go to firmware flasher and do load firmware online
click on flash firmware button ---> SUCCESS

I also see in the change log something with online firmware upgrade fixes on the configurator.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Shrug, short bootloader pads + no reboot sequence and done. I don't see where the problem is. This isn't tarduino where you need some weird ISP shit to reprogram.

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

timecop wrote:Shrug, short bootloader pads + no reboot sequence and done. I don't see where the problem is. This isn't tarduino where you need some weird ISP shit to reprogram.

I don't mind, but some other users might freak out :D

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

e_lm_70 wrote:I'm new in Naze32.

I did set up my Ubuntu for compile the Naze code.

From the SVN download, I got already a baseflight.hex .. that it is ~157Kbyte file.

Why the two file don't match in size ? Why makefile does not produce the baseflight.hex ?

Thanks

Anybody ?

bourney

Post by bourney »

got my Naze all set up and flying nice, the only issue I have is the motors seem to be pulsing in flight? any ideas?

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

e_lm_70 wrote:

Thanks

Anybody ?

Just curious. Why do you need to compile? What's not in the precompiled versions?

Animal60

Post by Animal60 »

Connecting a battery to naze32….
Is a voltage divider needed to connect a battery to Naze32 Rev5?
If no divider needed what is the maximum voltage allowable to be connected?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Animal60 wrote:Connecting a battery to naze32….
Is a voltage divider needed to connect a battery to Naze32 Rev5?
If no divider needed what is the maximum voltage allowable to be connected?

Did you check manual? Believe it or not, this is actually mentioned there.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

scrat wrote:
Olddude wrote:Get a PPM receiver, end of story.

LOL,
Cheers

Be sure to update firmware on D4R-II to 27ms - http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... 4R-II_27mS

AHh bloody hell :(
now i need a flash tool to use for 1 second to flash this thing ?
It doesn't work at all unflashed ?
Also I read t he update is from 2012-09-26

Surely if i buy one now in April 2014 they have the latest Firmware from 2012 No :)???

timecop

Post by timecop »

There is no need to flash anything wiht this 27ms crap. Its a bullshit situation that will never happen under normal flying conditions / rc inputs

strepto

Post by strepto »

scrat wrote:I have set failsafe with my Rx when out of signal Rx switch to RTH - But I always have BARO, MAG, ACC and GPS Home switched on together. But once I did try without ACC and quad did not do "rapidly return to the ground".

Hmm. Good to know, I guess!

I suppose the moral of the story is, check your failsafe settings thoroughly via switches... all of them, not just RTH... :)

Scott

Post by Scott »

strips wrote:
e_lm_70 wrote:

Thanks

Anybody ?

Just curious. Why do you need to compile? What's not in the precompiled versions?

Even further, why aren't you asking that question here?:
http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1947

didgydont

Post by didgydont »

Dont know if this is silly or not. when OSD is connected you cannot use usb port so I was hoping to have the osd switchable with something like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... witch.html so i dont have to open it all the time
The question would be
1. is this needed or could I just disable the osd serial connection in CLI or something before connecting a battery
or 2. I see servo mode in the manual does this mean I could output channel 8ppm to one of those pins as PWM like openpilot could ?

Hope you understand what im trying to do just after the best way to achieve this ?

timecop

Post by timecop »

i"m guessing OSD keeps requesting data, which means it conflicts with and confuses the main USB port when its connected. There's nothing you can do to stop that, short of powering off the OSD as you said.

For 2. yes, you can set gimbal_flags=4 (when using PPM receiver, of course) and then aux 1-4 will be on RC5..8. You can then connect ch8 to that remote servo switch and put it on a toggle switch or something on your tx to on/off osd.

didgydont

Post by didgydont »

Thats fine thank you for your prompt reply and keep up the good work I love this FC

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Wait, what?!!!!

Are you saying you don't fly with all 8 channels maxed out at 2000uS? Do you even lift?!

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Some help please :)
3.3v pad is limitted to 100ma , and I cant seem to find out my Bt modules current draw, I was wondering if anyone knew if you can run a 3.3V BT Module and a NEO-6M Ublox gps both off the 3.3v pad of naze board ok or not?

data sheet for gps says max curent 67ma but typical is around 40ma to 47ma, not sure on the BT module, data sheet does not seem to mention I / current.
its this module
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multiwii-Blu ... 417d4a4e13

I will get a 3.3V bec if i have to, but wasnt sure if needed.

timecop

Post by timecop »

drawing any power from 3.3 connection is at your own risk.
fullnaze has 500mA vreg (if marked with |L3xx), otherwise 250mA.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Im currently running the full naze with mag and baro etc , got it new from you about 2 weeks ago its a white rev5.
Im currently running the Bt module from the 3.3v rail no probs. want to add gps now also, I might order a 3.3v ubec to be safe i think.
I can see 2 x iL344 small chips on the board one is just to the right of the motor output pins,
So does this mean that the 100ma limit on the 3.3v pad is incorrect in my case. On my exact board that i may have some more current available on 3.3?
as 500ma is there , but what does the board itself use approx?

timecop

Post by timecop »

~60mA. Yes, vreg is rated at 500mA but of course it will heat up more.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

thank you, much appreciated

strips

Post by strips »

I remember seeing some post by you timecop, about the FrSky telemetry interface. Is it possible to see the output from the Naze32 telemetry pins on a computer with a physical RS232 serial port? Will the computer be able to understand 5V inverted TTL?

bourney

Post by bourney »

I could really use some help please guys

I have a QAV 250 with the stock motors and esc's, its been flying lovely with CC3D (so there are no build issues)

I changed over to Naze, have it all configured and flying, but I have erratic pulsing / twitching from the motors, I have run it on the stock PID's and even reduced P in the thought it may be too high, but no change.... can anyone offer advice please? :?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-XvRgfH-wU

Thanks
Andy

timecop

Post by timecop »

If you have to reduce P, youre doing something wrong. you should ever only increase it.
sounds like stuff is vibrating way too much.

bourney

Post by bourney »

I have the motors balanced and will have a go at the props too then, would you suggest tape mounting the board rather than screw fixing?

EDIT: sorted, changed the Gemfan props for some HQ props problem solved, spent a while tuning PID's...... this board is way better than OP CC3D!! 8-)
Last edited by bourney on Thu May 01, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sjefke

Post by Sjefke »

I have a naze32. I am having troubels setting up my GPS.

I use a CN-06 v3. In baseflight the gps is recognised. when i go to the tab GPS i can see some values there but the GPS signal strenght isn't showing anything.
The distance to home is also 0m even when i move.

In the CLI i have the settings:
Feature GPS
set gps_type = 0

When i want to set the baudrate tot 36800 it sais: Value assignment out of range.
I can put a value in between 0 - 5?

I want to use GPS hold en RTH. But when i go flying nothing happens when i switch tot these modes?

Does anybody know what my problem is?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, you need to read, a lot.

Sjefke

Post by Sjefke »

timecop wrote:Yes, you need to read, a lot.

I'm already doing that in this forum. Any tips where to start? I have a V5 naze.

timecop

Post by timecop »

the manual, the wiki
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/wiki
note, that GPS is not supported and don't expect any help from ME about it.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

strips wrote:
e_lm_70 wrote:

Thanks

Anybody ?

The support for BMP180 for instance is not present, or at least it is not working.

Anyhow, why the default SVN has a precompiled HEX that I can't reproduce with the compilation of the main Makefile ?

Maarten112

Post by Maarten112 »

Hi Guys,

Let me first start by saying I really Love the Naze32...it's so small, speedy and stable..! awesome job from Timecop!

I have a small and probably simple question regarding using the Naze32 to measure Lipo voltage with VBAT.

My Naze32 is powered by a lineair BEC from one of my Afro 12A ESC (in fact I left all 4 power wires on the ESC's BEC since they are lineair ones), all from 1 3S Lipo.

Is it oké to connect only + (red) to VBAT and not connect GND to avoid potential groundloops? Or should I definitely also connect GND?

Thnx already!

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Scott wrote:

Even further, why aren't you asking that question here?:
http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1947[/quote]

I will ask somewhere there. I did not know that thread ... or better it was not under my radar.

Thanks