Naze32 hardware discussion thread

timecop

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

battlejuice wrote:Hi guys,

first thing I'm new to RC so forgive me my noobism please. I'll try my very best to only ask question I cannot figure out myself or to be sure respectively.

I'm planing to build a tiny little nanoquad with brushed motors, because i have used Naze32 before and I liked, I ordered a bunch of Acro Naze for this purpose. However I didn't realize the specific details of FC-ESC connections. I measured with an Oszi and I assume the standard brushless ESC accepts 400Hz PWM signal about between 40% and 80% pulse width and translates in into ~0-100% motor speed.

However I am planning to use TTL-compatible BS170 or BUZ11 MOSFETs with Naze-PWM on the gate to directly drive the Motors with an PWM Signal between 0 and 100%. I already tried with another µC at 400Hz, works fine.

But how do I make the Naze to give out PWM Signal between 0 and 100%?

I have already set up a working toolchain to compile and flash (works at least if I'm using Linux for the one and Windows for the other... been a real pain in the ass though) the Naze and went through some code. But that's where the noobishness kicks in:

I assume I have to adjust the border conditions of some variables in the value table of CLI.c so I'll be able to tune the full range (0-2500) in the CLI, but which ones? I guess either maxthrottle and minthrottle or maxcheck and mincheck. Don't know what they exactly do. I'd guess one is the accepted range of the receiver PWM and the other one the desired range of Motor PWM output, but I am not sure.

I have no ability to test right now, because I don't want to ruin my perfectly fine working big Naze32 Quad and i don't have all equipment for the new setup yet.

So what should I exactly change to drive brushed motors or is this all a rather dumb idea?

Hiya,

I do have a patch that was submitted to me for brushed motors.
I should probably bring it back into life and add it as a feature.
If you don't mind coding stuff yourself, you just need to change PWM period (to make it something like 8kHz) in drv_pwm.c,
and then rescale motor outputs in writeMotors() to change from 1000..2000 to 0..1000 (or whatever you end up setting your pwm period to for brushed).

battlejuice

Post by battlejuice »

Thank you,

Since I already set all up, no i don't mind. Couldn't hurt to learn how to compile some powerful ARM processors.

But to be clear: the values are always supposed to be in nanoseconds, independet from the PWM rate?

timecop

Post by timecop »

If timer is running at 1MHz (as the defaults are), then it is 1us but if it's running at something else, it might be different.
I forget what good settings were for 8kHz stuff, you could maybe just run timer at 8MHz.

battlejuice

Post by battlejuice »

Thx, I'll give it a try and report when tested. of course: us, not ns...

zelea2

Re: Naze32 price

Post by zelea2 »

Timecop, you forgot in your list to say that you make your boards with real love not like those damn chinese who only build them for profit.

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

Who is zelea2 ? and what do we care what you think!

So tc beats the Chinese at what many consider to be there own game, I.E he cloned one of their products and sold the clone cheaper than the original F/F even though it was built with superior components, wrote an interface compatible with multiwii. Not withstanding the original clone was improved with direct USB port and downsized etc, he has consistently been improving the Naze32 and here is for me one of the biggies, he stands by his product, any problems and he will send you a replacement, sometimes even when he is not at fault. If you think he charges too much then its easy " dont F---ing buy it" Oh and just incase you think im some anti Chinese Yank, im not, i love the Chinese, without them i wouldnt be able to afford to be in this Hobby, also i have a grandson who is half Chinese and im definately English.
So zelea2 take your nasty attitude somewhere else because we dont want you here.Correction, i can only speak for myself, so "I" dont want you here :evil:

ytheleus

Post by ytheleus »

timecop wrote:I do have a patch that was submitted to me for brushed motors.
I should probably bring it back into life and add it as a feature.

I think it would be worthwhile if you can spare the time please.

If you're easily bored stop reading, because I'm going to explain why I think that.

Using brushed motors is the most realistic way to keep weight and costs down while miniaturizing the airframe as far as possible. ESC/brushless designs can only be shrunk so far, and become relatively heavy at small scales. Suitable 2g/1A brushed motors cost a few $ each.

Apart from software support the other big technical obstacle, for people who don't make their own electronics, for someone building a modular 1S brushed setup is the requirement for current driver FET circuits in place of brushless ESCs.

I'm hoping that small 4 channel FET brushed driver boards will become commercially available soon as well. Buy two if you want an octocopter. It's not like they're complicated compared to something like a FC board, basically a nFET with a few capacitors per channel. A board like this would make very small, fairly cheap multis with a good array of sensors and spare processor capacity reachable for people like me. I wantz one of them.

But software support in baseflight would be a big step in the right direction.

battlejuice

Post by battlejuice »

One more thing: Can I connect a 1s LiPo directly to one of the BEC connections on the Naze or is this to low or unstable? I didn't think of 5V at any time of the planning since the stm32 runs at 3,3V anyway...

ytheleus: I don't even think you need capacitors. nFETs should survive that and motors be "inertial" enough. At least it worked fine on the pinboard. I'm using the motors from the crazyflie which are with high propabillity the same on the "silverit x-twin" toyplane. The capacitors which I used in the simulation where too heavy in reality.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yeah, you can run this directly off 1S. vregs are LDO, so dropout is not so big, plus it doesn't draw a lot of current for larger dropout.

ytheleus

Post by ytheleus »

battlejuice wrote:ytheleus: I don't even think you need capacitors. nFETs should survive that and motors be "inertial" enough.

I respectfully note your opinion as I'm no expert when it comes to practical circuits, though my theory is OK.
I don't know that caps are necessary or even useful, but someone elsewhere claimed there were problems with transients using just FETs, which made the motor control less precise. It's possible that just the groundplane would be enough to improve matters, or that any transient switching effect is small enough to ignore, but I haven't got to the point of making a real circuit so I can only speculate. It's also a pretty noisy environment electrically. Should have made it clear I was speculating, sorry.
I'm saving it for a winter project, or hoping someone will start selling them as a module and save me the trouble.

Those 6mm crazyflie motors are exactly the ones I had in mind, though the 7mm v939 replacements look like a possible option too.

battlejuice

Post by battlejuice »

thx timecop, easy.

@ytheleus: i also do not have much experience, wheter practical nore theoretical. I only tried it on the pin board with one motor. In the simulation I used afaik 1000µF capacitors which flated the voltage curve down with a response time of like 1ms. Without capacitors there were indeed some decent transient voltages. But when I ordered them they were just too damn big, like 1g. Probably it's the better way to use capacitors. I guess I'll better add soldering holes for them before I etch the circuit in case I would need them. I'll let you know how it works, we could maybe make some new thread for that.

edit: http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyf ... :explained

m33k55i

Post by m33k55i »

Hello, I have a problem with multiwii gui or naze 32 (I don't know).
1. I connect naze32 to computer and run the multiwii gui
2. I change PID's
3. I click the START button
4. Then emerges qvadrocopterX pictogram
But when I try turn of ACC, MAG, BARO it doesn't work, as well when I am moving copter anything doesn't change on GUI
What I am doing wrong. Please, help me
Here is video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjKiRwQNQZM

900supersport2

Post by 900supersport2 »

Did you select the com port before pressing start?

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Ahhh.. dude.. You're doing it all wrong.

First connect the GUI by selecting the COM port, then click "Start". Once the values all populate and go green, only then are you connected and only now can you change values.. Once you are connected for the first time (when all the values populate and are green - 1:09 in your video), you should click "Reset" to reset all values to defaults - you should only need to do this the very first time during initial setup. Now you can change settings like PIDs and RC Box options for AUX1-4... when you are happy with your changes (use defaults initially), Click "Write". Then you can disconnect and go fly/crash or whatever.

Note: You can't turn on off the ACC/GYRO etc from over there, that is informational only. Also, dude, you don't need every ESC BEC (vcc/gnd) plugged into the FC, you can remove all vcc/gnd except from one esc, so only signal is connected from three of your four ESCs and signal+power from one ESC.

Good luck!

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Hello everyone....i was traveling and lost the orange cord that connects to the naze32.Would anyone have a spare they could part with.I can use paypal but really need this cord because i never set everything up and now im back home and want to fly.

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

I too lost my orange cord, fortunately I was able to get another at Lowes..

timecop

Post by timecop »

AnthonysQuad wrote:Hello everyone....i was traveling and lost the orange cord that connects to the naze32.Would anyone have a spare they could part with.I can use paypal but really need this cord because i never set everything up and now im back home and want to fly.

If you had used a valid email address when asking the shop for this stuff, you could have had an answer by now...

satnaam

Post by satnaam »

Timecop,
How can contact you?
satnaam ( satnaam11@yahoo.ca )
new to multicopter

timecop

Post by timecop »

Try emailing timecop@gmail? I dunno.

bruno222

Post by bruno222 »

Timecop, I just registered here in this forum to say: I love you. Acro Naze32 is realllllly awesome! Thanks in name of everyone that uses your boards :-)

satnaam

Post by satnaam »

JUERGEN_

Sent you a PM.
Thanks
satnaam :?:

rudib

Naze32 baseflight mag

Post by rudib »

Hi,

Running latest Baseflight on a Naze32. Calibrated mag on the Z axis is erratic and only jumps between two or three distinct values while other two work fine. Any ideas? Hardware fault?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h072xvn9wqv3z ... .16.04.png

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, mag dead.
Send a note to where you got it from for a replacement.

rudib

Post by rudib »

timecop wrote:Yes, mag dead.
Send a note to where you got it from for a replacement.

Thanks, Andreas at Pitchpump took care of that.

whakahere

Post by whakahere »

I am having a hell of a time with one of my quads. I am using the naze32 acro (white) and the damn thing keeps self leveling slowly. It won't hold angle in rate (yes it is in rate). I'm using f30a flashed esc, tiger motors 1100kv on chatch's asd 400q quad. It's flying like a pile of crap.

For some reason it will sometime yaw slight to the left and when I bring it down the esc and motors are hot ... after just hovering.The two rear esc heat up qucikly even those the bec has been disabled. What could be the cause of this? I can't get it lock in at all.

My basher quad on the blue acro naze is rock solid (using same esc) .... I even copied the setting over to the white board.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Using latest firmware? What does it look like in GUI?
If you don't let it sit still a few seconds at power up the gyro will never be "working" properly and it'll move 3D picture in GUI really slowly. Is this what you're seeing?

No idea about ESC shit, thats all unrelated.

whakahere

Post by whakahere »

It is the white board with the latest firmware. I did try cc3d port firmware on it and it did the same thing .... and since I had 2 other quads with naze32 on them (green full and a blue arco) I ditched the cc3d experiment and loaded baseflight back on. But sadly that didn't fix it.

In level mode it seems to be pretty good. it will go back to level after flipping the stick. I am doing a full re-solder to see if that could be an issue. To me something doesn't add up.

whakahere

Post by whakahere »

It is the white board with the latest firmware. I did try cc3d port firmware on it and it did the same thing .... and since I had 2 other quads with naze32 on them (green full and a blue arco) I ditched the cc3d experiment and loaded baseflight back on. But sadly that didn't fix it.

In level mode it seems to be pretty good. it will go back to level after flipping the stick. I am doing a full re-solder to see if that could be an issue. To me something doesn't add up.

brm

Post by brm »

whakahere wrote:I am having a hell of a time with one of my quads. I am using the naze32 acro (white) and the damn thing keeps self leveling slowly. It won't hold angle in rate (yes it is in rate). I'm using f30a flashed esc, tiger motors 1100kv on chatch's asd 400q quad. It's flying like a pile of crap.

For some reason it will sometime yaw slight to the left and when I bring it down the esc and motors are hot ... after just hovering.The two rear esc heat up qucikly even those the bec has been disabled. What could be the cause of this? I can't get it lock in at all.

My basher quad on the blue acro naze is rock solid (using same esc) .... I even copied the setting over to the white board.

do you have reflashed esc's?

hot Motors are a side effect of vibrations ... loose fc ...too soft Connection of the fc with the Frame.
this is what i did yesterday evening. even the battery was hot.

whakahere

Post by whakahere »

My FC is hard mounted :) but vibration I am getting. It's not helping that the quad is completely unstable. My other quads on baseflight are smooth.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Take a vid of GUI w/graphs or something, I suppose it could be dead/dying sensor, anyhow, if it is i'll swap the stuff out for you.

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Is there some information out there that tells me what each light on the naze indicates?

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

blue is power. green is 'armed' or various status indication depending on what your doing. red comes on when you have levl/horizon and maybe some other flight modes turned on.

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

And blinking green?

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

if its unarmed, it means your quad is tilted more than ~15 degrees or something.

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Blinking red....i think i seen it blink red real fast when i first hooked it up to a usb and not connected to anything.whats that mean.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Sounds like das Blinkenlights strikes again. It could be difficult to diagnose without a video or something.

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Well when i plug the usb cord in thats connected to the naze the blue light is solid and the green and red lights blink very quickly.i dont think anything is wrong im just trying to figure out as much as i can about the flight controller.See i have a few parts i still need.....circus gp s,esc's,avr usbasp cord,naze orange cords and whatever cables i need for the gps.So i was hopeing maybe i could just get a step ahead and set the board up a little.i will try to see if i can set it for x flight.I kind of want to get into understanding the cli a little more and seeing what options they have as well.i also seen some pilot lights for multiwii in general on whitespy.its basicly leds that flash certain colors when differnt things are going on with the board so basicly i guess i was wondering if naze is coded to give off certain light flashes when something happens.it be nice little add on to the manual.

satnaam

Post by satnaam »

HELP

I am going to setup a Naze32 with GPS. I have been flying this board with Instructions from SpiritFly Website. I must say these are the BEST INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEWBIE like me. I now need to know how to set this board for CPPM mode? Should I set my radio to CPPM mixing to what 120, 90 140 deg?? Since wire pin 3 and 4 are used for GPS how should I connect my cables to the board?? I need a diagram please.
How do I enable the GPS on the board?? with MultiWII GUI?? I am trying to past a picture on this board but don't know how.
thanks for the help.
fred

timecop

Post by timecop »

Dude, you even emailed me about this and I *answered* your question about "CPPM". For the rest of the stuff, all you need to do is READ THE MANUAL it tells you EXACTLY where to connect anything. And put your radio in AIRPLANE mode, not fucking HELI.

satnaam

Post by satnaam »

Time cop thanks for foul language, I did not understand your manual before and I still don't understand it now. Once again I am a Newbie at this. Maybe you and you group of people understand this but I DON'T. Least I am asking in a KIND way and not using foul language. If you provided a manual that people understood it and would'nt have to ask these questions. I bought your board and thought it was a good product and I think it is.
But I need help and yes I NEED pictures to see to understand. SOrry I am not smart as you are.
fred

timecop

Post by timecop »

Manual has pictures. Start flying and when you're ready to understand how to do other stuff, you will do it.
You don't need GPS to fly.

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Well u didnt mention the gps your trying to use and i really dont know things that well myself bit maybe some of what i read will help out.the gps i want to use is 5 v so im thinking about powering it from the naze.since.i dont have.plans for anything 5 v.i think you might have to enable a cli...command line interface section of code.and there most likely is a box in multiwii to check.i have to check the baudrate setting on the gps and see if if works.from what i hear the ublox is plug and play for naze.i think theres a diagram in ublox instructions that tells the wireing.

garbungel

Post by garbungel »

Damn guys.....I just uploaded the new firmware, but nothing happens after that :(

I went from r288 to r374 and the led stays blue now and I can't get serial connection anymore. Is it bricked? Any solutions?

UPDATE:
I managed to recover by shorting the bootloader pads :D. Should have done more reading.

Lucky9910

Post by Lucky9910 »

Ok, i have the CN-06 GPS Receiver V2 gps unit. I have read and tried most solutions, still not activated in Gui (Not Green).

Hardware: Acro Naze

Changed Gps Type 0 and 1
Changed Baud

All connection are correct per the manual TX RX, etc.

Thanks for any help

timecop

Post by timecop »

Why do you need GPS on acro?

jmisuraca

Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by jmisuraca »

TimeCop - Thank you, your awesome.

I am new to quads - but have been flying heli's for about three years. I am building a quad, waiting on parts. Here is what I have:
Naze32 (Flashed and ready to go!)
AR6000
a set of 8", 9" and 10" props
4x SunnySky v2216 800kv II
4x AfroESC and programming stick from HK (in the mail)
3s 2200mah (in the mail)
4s 4000mah

I need a frame, any help in choosing one would be great!

I have a question:
Is it OK to only run one of the AfroESC BEC's .5a? or Should I hook up all 4 (Can they be run in series)? or Should I run an external BEC?
I am thinking .5a should be fine for running the Naze32 and Specktrum receiver. but would like some input from the experts.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Edit
I think I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry.

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

I just received the same gps and have acro as well.Once ypu get things tightened up on your setup could you post closeups of any wireing you have done along with any information you feel would help.

I bought the gps because im not sure of everything naze can do.Mainly i want to get into scripted waypoints and im not sure if naze can do that on its own.i think ardu or part of its system might be able to get something going......i really like to create scripts and i thibk it be cool on a quad but till things are setup for my quad im not even gping to look at any code....
For one i dont ubderstand stm 32.im guessing its the engine that reads the scripts bit no clue.also i have no idea what commands ill be able to work with and most likely it has its own way of writeing its code so the engine can read it properly.so ill just take it east i been collectibg parts and its fun for now

satnaam

Post by satnaam »

I just received my UBLOX GPS unit. I figured out CPPM and now trying to figure out this GPS and how to activate it?? My major hurtle is spectrum does not offer a CPPM out put in any of their RX. Also how do I post a picture here. I am trying but no success.

fred