motor power balance

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
zarkon

motor power balance

Post by zarkon »

Hi,

I noticed on my tri/quad my right motor always have the highest value, which cause my quad/tri always fly to left as the power to the right motor is not balance with the left, is there anyway to correct this beside trimming on the TX? and it some how it hard to even hover w/o it going right and left I just can;t stay still

I'm using v1.9 atm

Thanks

TextZombie

Re: motor power balance

Post by TextZombie »

When you say the motors on the right have a higher value do you see the value in the GUI or from observation?
In the GUI, is roll at 1500 when your transmitter stick is centered?
It could also be your ESCs not being synced up for throttle range maybe, might be worth setting it again.

P

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

I see it from the GUI and from the observation it quite obvious as when throttle up right motor will lift off first :), I'll check the roll value later when i get back from work, as for the throttle range it I'll will try to reset this too :)

Thanks!

bill516

Post by bill516 »

I had the same thing with my tri on first flights, you need to trim the motors with the trim on your Tx in acro mode, you can do it in the air or use the gui to get the motors in balance i.e all motors same reading with throttle at varous positions (remove props to do this test if using gui).

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

what has been done:

- reset throttle range
- forgot to check the roll value :D

I'll try to do the trim as bill mentioned later

Thanks!

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

I re-do my quad yesterday, today I tried to fly it wont even take off at full throttle,
here some pics:

20111125_145131.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDgrO6Zc4U

i should have takent the video horizontally :lol:

all prop are properly mounted as it should be and I doubt the motor can't lift the quad

full specs

Motor 1811-2000kv
SS 8-10A ESC
wooden frame
turnigy 800mAh 25c
Prop 5x3
Total wieght 190g

bill516

Post by bill516 »

To me looks your using half your thrust to push the bowl into the ground while trying to lift it all up with the other half. The bowl is attached to the frame isnt it, otherwise I'm talking tosh.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

no the bowl is just a stand it not attached to the quad :)

mon_lolo_fr

Post by mon_lolo_fr »

You could try to connect only one motor and its ESC at a time, and try to handle it by hand (be careful !), push the throttle until you feel a good lift from this motor side.
Do this one by one for the 4 motor and ESC, I think you have contradictions in the corrections in the vid.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

mon_lolo_fr wrote:You could try to connect only one motor and its ESC at a time, and try to handle it by hand (be careful !), push the throttle until you feel a good lift from this motor side.
Do this one by one for the 4 motor and ESC, I think you have contradictions in the corrections in the vid.

I can do that but what should I'm looking in the step? I mean the reason for doing it? Checking the motor thrust?

mon_lolo_fr

Post by mon_lolo_fr »

Absolutely, I mean checking each "power unit" independantly in order to determine if it's the CPU board that does not allow the motor to pull up to full throttle.

Check that in two steps:

-> first directly from your receiver to the ESC witn a linear throttle curve and check if the thrust is OK
-> secondly one "power unit" (meaning 1 esc and its connected motor) through the main board with MWC running, also check the thrust if it's OK

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

mon_lolo_fr wrote:Absolutely, I mean checking each "power unit" independantly in order to determine if it's the CPU board that does not allow the motor to pull up to full throttle.

Check that in two steps:

-> first directly from your receiver to the ESC witn a linear throttle curve and check if the thrust is OK
-> secondly one "power unit" (meaning 1 esc and its connected motor) through the main board with MWC running, also check the thrust if it's OK

I will try that tomorrow 4AM here :) i acro trim seem all motor are leveled butt

from gui you can see the right motor maxed out while others are not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfN3pkP4COQ

actual quad while running the GUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSDvk_v8Uc

sorry I dont know how to do the overlay/split thing, sure is a pain if needed to re-sync the throttle range again

TextZombie wrote:When you say the motors on the right have a higher value do you see the value in the GUI or from observation?
In the GUI, is roll at 1500 when your transmitter stick is centered?
It could also be your ESCs not being synced up for throttle range maybe, might be worth setting it again.

My roll was not at 1500 when the stick is centered

I do another round of check later just finished solder a diode on my TX lipo battery

TextZombie

Post by TextZombie »

It's tough to tell, but on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDgrO6Zc4U it looks like the bottom right motor is turning the wrong way. Could just be the video though.

P

mon_lolo_fr

Post by mon_lolo_fr »

TextZombie wrote:It's tough to tell, but on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDgrO6Zc4U it looks like the bottom right motor is turning the wrong way. Could just be the video though.
P

I also examined it and conclude the same, seems that the rear right prop is spinning the wrong way !

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

actually the prop is swaped but I fixed it the result still the same, I have being busy all days don't have time to test it, I'll make a new video when i have the time to test it again.

TextZombie

Post by TextZombie »

If we're looking at the back of the copter in the video it's certainly the motor rather than the prop.

I point it out as on my first go I thought naively that the firmware somehow told the motor which way to turn, as randomly 5 out of 6 went the right way by luck and the symptoms were similar to yours :oops: Took me ages to track that down as it wasn't clear from the connecting elements page that I was responsible for motor direction instead of the software :D

P

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

well im sure the motor is spining the correct way but i'll double check again

mon_lolo_fr

Post by mon_lolo_fr »

The ESC controling the rear right motor is connected to pin 9 of the arduino, it must rotate clockwise with a clockwise prop. On the vid, your prop is OK on the rear right motor but the motor is spinning the wrong way. Swap 2 of 3 wires that comes from the ESC and go the to motor, you'll then be able to make the motor spinning the right way.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

mon_lolo_fr wrote:The ESC controling the rear right motor is connected to pin 9 of the arduino, it must rotate clockwise with a clockwise prop. On the vid, your p is OK on the rear right motor b motor is spinning the wrong way. Swap 2 of 3 wires that comes from the ESC and go the to motor, you'll then be able to make the motor spinning the right way.

current setup:

front left cw
front right ccw
rear left ccw
rear right cw

it still wont lift off :)

i havent did the test yet

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

it seem that my right motor is shaking too much and cause vibration which effecting the throttle if, I guess the frame need to be redesign but still the right motor from the GUI show at full throttle it go up to 1850 (max throttle) but others wont g beyond 1750 any ideas why? this is after the acro trim anyone know how to balance it ?

You could try to connect only one motor and its ESC at a time, and try to handle it by hand (be careful !), push the throttle until you feel a good lift from this motor side.

I tried this all motor do have it good lift just like I mention above the right motor vibrate a lot when having prop installed, with no prop it does well

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Vibration with a prop means you need to balance that prop.

Have you set your esc max and min throttle commands again.

Why is there no gyro data reading in the GUI, if you have vibration it will show in the GUI as the Gyros will be getting a shaking, you have a straight line, everybody dreams of having a straight line.

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Vibration with a prop means you need to balance that prop.

Why is there no gyro data reading in the GUI, if you have vibration it will show in the GUI as the Gyros will be getting a shaking, you have a straight line, everybody dreams of having a straight line.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

bill516 wrote:Vibration with a prop means you need to balance that prop.

I'm not sure why the GUI show 0 gyro data when the quad flat (no prop) full throttle, but when I shake it there is a gyro data but when it flat not being touched will be 0, I just balanced my prop bad new is I over discharged 1 of my lips darn it forgot to plugin my battery monitor when testing

bill516

Post by bill516 »

If you have no props then that will explain 0 gyro data, you must have got your gyro well insulated from vibration.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

bill516 wrote:If you have no props then that will explain 0 gyro data, you must have got your gyro well insulated from vibration.

balanced my prop seem to be fine now but it either keep flipping to right or left mostly to left w/o any reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxklMX8MZlE

now my motor randomly shutdown while there is a gyro correction, the faq said set the ESC timing to high but the HK SS 8-10A ESC have no such setting :), I will try to re-sync the ESC again see how it goes

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

I just got the mircro frame from BlueSkyRC will be re-building this mini quad hopefully with success :)

20111130_153555.jpg

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

still havent get this mini to fly with new shield + frame the same thing happen the rear right motor seem does not giving any lift causing the quad to flip over when throttle is given, I have no idea why now I'm stuck

bill516

Post by bill516 »

How about swopping a couple of the motors on the arduino i.e. right front to right rear see if the fault follows its probably an easier option than swopping motors and esc's around. Another option is to wire everything without the shield try and get the minimum of componants .

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

previously it are w/o shield, I bought a shield recently and soldered them, I'm sure the motor is already swapped along but did try to swap my spare motor to the rear right still the same tried swapping esc nothing much same result and now for some strange reason my arduino die no respond usuall the led will blink now it dead even the pc can't detect it

I can confirm all motor are fine as I did a test connect motor, esc battery & rx for throttle range setting all of them have max thrust, so must be something wrong the arduino itself, look like it will grounded for a while until I get a new arduino mini which most probably will take a month ;(, I have a kk board on route hope I can use that board for the frame

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

I Slapped KK board right away when arrive home and it fly! but no video, my amateur flying not worth filming yet, I need to calibrate the gyro on the KK board it hard to hover this small thing :D, so my previous multiwii board confirm problem with the arduino 19]

My "PACK" the battery actually used for my funjets and slow stick :D

Motor mount problem since arrive good thing i have spare to replace this motor

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Glad to hear you sorted it. I'm sure I read somewhere of someone having a problem with their arduino not working on one pin for the motors and they used another pin but selected a different setup in the sketch. If I come across it I'll get the info or the link.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

bill516 wrote:Glad to hear you sorted it. I'm sure I read somewhere of someone having a problem with their arduino not working on one pin for the motors and they used another pin but selected a different setup in the sketch. If I come across it I'll get the info or the link.

would be great if you can find it, at the moment the i have no new arduino to continue :) it will take a while for me to get a new one

bill516

Post by bill516 »

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st19897807 I think that is the post that I was referring to. Reading the next post down though says you cant do it. I'm sure you will find the info you need in this thread but as you can see it massive