CRIUS GPS NEO-6 drifting randomly

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
dolphik89

CRIUS GPS NEO-6 drifting randomly

Post by dolphik89 »

Hello everyone!

I have Crius NEO-6 V3.0 GPS. When i try to fly in GPS hold my copter just flying away from position.
The root cause of it - for some reason GPS think that coordinates changing always.
I have uploaded configuration (there also was some default from factory which i saved) but it still drifts.
I have attached sample - what happens with coordinates, same happens when looking on coordinates via multiwii (Crius AIOP v.2)

Any thoughts ?
Attachments
2016-07-08_0021.png

Kbev5709

Re: CRIUS GPS NEO-6 drifting randomly

Post by Kbev5709 »

dolphik89 wrote:Hello everyone!

I have Crius NEO-6 V3.0 GPS. When i try to fly in GPS hold my copter just flying away from position.

Any thoughts ?

Too many possible causes to list. Here's a few of the most common. Space weather, one tiny little config.h or wiring mistake, PIDs not tuned for Pos Hold, not calibrating ACC and compass (especially compass,) failure to wait for a 3D satellite fix. Probably at least 10 more possible reasons. As I think about the GPS setup on my Mega board, you gotta have everything done right to make it work right. Just one thing done wrong can ruin your day fast.

dolphik89

Post by dolphik89 »

The attached image is GPS module directly connected to laptop.
Should i somehow configure compass in GPS module ?

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

dolphik89 wrote:The attached image is GPS module directly connected to laptop.
I know that.
dolphik89 wrote:Should i somehow configure compass in GPS module ?

I'm sorry but I'm hesitant to get too involved in helping you with this because I don't know your skill level with GPS setup and use. I have had people I was trying to help blame me when they couldn't get theirs to work while trying to follow my simple instructions. Those types have ruined my willingness to help out in detail here anymore.
Use this link to learn how to calibrate your compass. http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php? ... alibration

dolphik89

Post by dolphik89 »

I did calibration on my board and it doesn't rotate when i fly back and forth, but when enabling GPS hold it just start flying randomly - exactly how it shown in the attached image.
I was curios if possible something wrong with my GPS module and then just connected to laptop and have seen the picture - when i stay at position for some reason it say that i'm moving.
I was trying to upload couple different GPS configurations via U-Center as well as try couple manual configuration manually (like changing the mode whether i'm "Pedestrian" or "Airborne" (dynamic platform model parameter)), but nothing changes - it still flying around in radius ~100meters and i think this data picked up by MultiWii controller and it force copter to fly to this positions always.

Now i'm thinking if none of configurations else could be modified - probably that's issue with GPS module electronics and i need to by another module

Anyway - thank you for answer and given directions.

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

dolphik89 wrote:Now i'm thinking if none of configurations else could be modified - probably that's issue with GPS module electronics and i need to by another module

I've never needed to use the GPS configuration tool to get a working setup and you shouldn't either.

My GPS wanders onscreen in the GUI when I'm watching it indoors but holds nicely outside in the air.

The drifting on your tool is probably because you are using it indoors.

Have you adjusted your Pos Hold PID values? GPS is not plug and play. If you haven't done any PID tuning that could be all that is wrong (and is the most likely cause.) Also, you must have a 5 satellite GPS lock before attempting anything in GPS. Do you have any way of knowing when you have a satellite lock when getting ready to fly? Have you enabled the waypoint command in the config.h file? It will never do anything in GPS until you enable the waypoint command. Do you have the magnetic declination of the location of where you fly entered in config.h? It comes set by default to Budapest. Unless you reside and fly in Budapest you need to fix that.