Want complete guide to FC board mounting orientation values

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
many408

Want complete guide to FC board mounting orientation values

Post by many408 »

I'm new here and new to rc. Old to most everything else.

Have built a few quads; two most recent had the fc board mounted in non-normal orientations. The first with a Cruis AIOP running multiwii was just 45 degrees yaw, easily corrected in the config.h with

#define SENSORS_TILT_45DEG_RIGHT

The second was with the fc board upside-down AND 90 degrees yaw - but that is a cc3d and running Open Pilot, which has a gui-set of configuration options for all three axes. After about six props I figured that one out.

I'd like to know what orientations are possible with a multi-wii board, and what values to change to achieve each. I think that a complete syntax description of this section should cover it but if there is code elsewhere to play with please point to it:

/* enforce your individual sensor orientation - even overrides board specific defaults */
//#define FORCE_ACC_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {imu.accADC[ROLL] = Y; imu.accADC[PITCH] = -X; imu.accADC[YAW] = Z;}
//#define FORCE_GYRO_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {imu.gyroADC[ROLL] = -Y; imu.gyroADC[PITCH] = X; imu.gyroADC[YAW] = Z;}
//#define FORCE_MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {imu.magADC[ROLL] = X; imu.magADC[PITCH] = Y; imu.magADC[YAW] = Z;}

Does the above also indicate that aside from the yaw correction above, you can only have orientations on the axes or a cube?

Hamburger

Re: Want complete guide to FC board mounting orientation val

Post by Hamburger »

many408 wrote:Does the above also indicate that aside from the yaw correction above, you can only have orientations on the axes or a cube?

yes

spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

Hamburger,

Does that mean that mounting my crius se board on its side along the inside of a plane is impossible? There's no way to adjust sensor orientation by 90 degree increments in the code?

spag

schnupperm

Post by schnupperm »

spagoziak wrote:Hamburger,

Does that mean that mounting my crius se board on its side along the inside of a plane is impossible? There's no way to adjust sensor orientation by 90 degree increments in the code?

spag

no, I think you can mount it on any side of a cube. I've done it with a flip mega board in a mini skywalker. The only problem remaining is the external not rotated mag. see: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6487#p64136

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

shy would that be a problem? Simply do not force a new mag orientation in the config and be done?

schnupperm

Post by schnupperm »

Hamburger wrote:shy would that be a problem? Simply do not force a new mag orientation in the config and be done?

that's what I thought and done first. But it simply does not worked out, so I tried a lot of MAG_ORIENTATIONs without success. I noticed in the process, that the heading data changed much stronger to roll and pitch movements as it normally does, with the FC and GPS/MAG mounted level. (The combo worked great in a quad before.)
Maybe some code which corrects the mag-heading when the FC tilts, gets the down direction wrong?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

when sensor as 6050 are positioned 'hanging on the wall' then you will get very different ranges in the raw data from the sensor already. Your best bet is to re-tune your PIDs.