Hovercraft

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
Compozit

Hovercraft

Post by Compozit »

Hi, I want to build a kind of quadcopter which moves manly horizontally like a car or a hovercraft.

I havea Naze 32 Acro, a 3D printer ready to print everything I want and a computer scientist girlfriend ready to code what I need (she daily use Eclipse at work)! But I have no clue about programming.

This is what I have in mind:
I want to build a Quadcopter with an EDF to move forward and a rudder for turning.
It should auto level and stabilize in roll and pitch, but not in the Yaw axis.
I want to control it with a 2ch Transmitter like the one I use for my car.
(I may have inverted the CW or CCW rotation in the sketch.)

My question is : Is it possible to make a custom program in Eclipse and put it in the Naze32? I have tested Basflight but I can´t find anything for me.

Cereal_Killer

Re: Hovercraft

Post by Cereal_Killer »

Every thing your asking about can be done is normal multiwii (yes even the additional motor).

However you need a MINIMUM of 4 rc channels for a standard multirotor, you can use a standard transmitter with 2 STICKS, but 4 CHANNELS are required- throttle, pitch, roll and yaw. With your setup of the additional motor you'll need a fifth channel for it and a sixth channel to vector it around (plus then you need another one or two channels for flight modes and other options). I wouldn't try what you were wanting, it's gonna be WAY to inefficient, but if I were to want to try that I would use no less than 8 channels, probably a 9ch to make sure I had my bases covered. What TX do you have for th car currently?

Welcome to the forums BTW, just understand this is the MULTIWII forum, your asking a question a it your own code, for that you'd be better off at RC groups or a programming forum. If you do want to use standard multiwii to do it tho (and again it can) then this is the right spot.

Cereal_Killer

Re: Hovercraft

Post by Cereal_Killer »

I want to caution you about this, you're NEVER going to overcome the turbulence the horizontal motor causes. The main lifting rotors are going to be constantly be sucking in dirty air, it may not even fly and if it does efficiency is going to be HORRIBLE. If you're looking for a crazy project go for it but if you're looking for a fast forward flying multirotor there are PLENTY of ways to get high speeds out of a standard quad / MR. Tilting the rotors forward at an angle is the easiest.