Do you ever tune I and D for the yaw axis? Have random spin

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
mxmaniac

Do you ever tune I and D for the yaw axis? Have random spin

Post by mxmaniac »

I've googled all over for this, but haven't found it mentioned. By default the Yaw has a higher P value than the other axis's, and a zero value for I and D.

Do you ever adjust I and D?

One of the main reasons I'm wondering. I have 2 completely identical quads. Same frame, motors, electronics, batteries, equally balanced props, etc. However one of them has yaw issues. It will be fine much of the time, however quite frequently it just decides it wants to start yawing very strongly. I have to often give almost full stick in the opposite direction to try and fight it and get it straight. Its almost as if its just occasionally picking up a resonant vibration or something that makes it think it needs to correct when it doesn't. I've completely swapped motors and props though, and re-mounted the FC. Wondering if I can tune this out.

waltr

Re: Do you ever tune I and D for the yaw axis? Have random

Post by waltr »

First thing to check is the YAW stick's value at center. Must be exactly 1500 else it is commanding the FC to Yaw.
If the TX's sticks are sloppy at center then add some Deadband (in the config.h).

This can also be caused by vibrations or an ESC going bad.
Yes, I do tune all the Yaw PIDs to get the stick yaw response I desire. But if there is a problem else where you can not tune it out. You must find and fix the problem.