Copter not enough power

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
Winselstute

Copter not enough power

Post by Winselstute »

Hi all,

got my first QC built with SK450 frame, HK MultiWii Pro board with MW 2.4 sketch, 30A SimonK ESC's, 3000'er Turnigy LiPo and 10" props mounted. The weight is approx. 1,1 kg.

My problem is, that I only just get the QC to hover with full throttle (checked in MW Gui).

But if I trigger some yaw, then the copter has more power and rises. You can hear, that the probs are rotating much faster while yaw.

In my config.h i already set MaxThrottle to 1980 and the remote control moves in the range of 1050 - 1995 at full throttle, so this should be ok. ESC's are calibrated,too.

I'm a bit clueless now. Perhaps someone has an idea.

Thanks in advance

Dirk

PatrikE

Re: Copter not enough power

Post by PatrikE »

Normally caused by vibrations...
Balance motors and props.

Winselstute

Post by Winselstute »

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your quick answer.

In my opinion the copter is not vibrating very much. I balanced the props yet, but not the motors...

Could it be perhaps the mounting of the FC? I screwed it nearly direct/hard on the frame, without any bumpers or something like that.
So every slight movement/vibration of the frame comes to the sensors on the FC.
I thought, this mounting would be the right way :| but maybe I'm wrong :?

I will try to improve it tomorrow and give answer, if it's the reason, that my copter can't get his a.. into the sky/bouncing around the ground.

Perhaps I can make a short video, how it looks like.

Regards Dirk

waltr

Post by waltr »

Which motors?
How many Cell in the LiPo?
It is possible there just isn't enough power.

Did you check the components in Ecalc?

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

It's your frame most likely. I had massive issues with the SK450 too (despite balancing motors and props), because the arms are soft enough to put a knot in them without much effort. I put the exact same components on another frame with no changes and it immediately flew awesome.

KhoaNgo95

Post by KhoaNgo95 »

Balance your prop and put the FC on some sort of vibration padding. Multiwii only allows you to throttle to 1800 or 1850 instead of 2000 because the head room is needed for the stabilizing itself. Your quad rising when you apply yaw could be that MW going into that head room. The louder sound when you apply yaw is normal, it is louder because two diagonal motors are working a lot harder than usual while the other two motors doing the opposite. I would say that you should post your whole build so we could evaluate what is wrong with the drive system.

Winselstute

Post by Winselstute »

Hello all.

Thanks for the support. Last month I was a bit busy with my job and could not test very much. :cry:

But now I'm quite sure, that one of the ESC's does not work with full power. My theory: Because of trying to hold the balance, the other ESC's are not working with full power. While yawing counterclockwise, the defective ESC is not (much) enabled, my copter therefore has a lot more power (like described in my posting above).

New ESC' are ordered, so I can verify my theory... :)

Winselstute

Post by Winselstute »

Hi all,

finally I got my new ESC's. Changed the possibly defective one and...yesssss!!! It's nearly flying perfect and has now enough power.

Only a few minor tunings needed (PID).

Thanks for the support. (Nevertheless finetuning the props will be the next step to optimize the copter for FPV)

Greetings

Dirk