Cant connect to board in gui

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
james123

Cant connect to board in gui

Post by james123 »

Hi, I've been trying to sort this out all night and i think it's something simple so thought i should ask.
I am trying to set up my H quad with a multiwii microwii ATmega 32U4 fc, and i've been able to load sketches onto it fine but for some reason it doesn't show up under the com ports when go into the config gui on ubuntu 32 bit or windows 7 64bit.

It shows up as
Bus 003 Device 030: ID 2341:8036 Arduino SA Leonardo (CDC ACM, HID)
when i do lsusb on linux, so it's there but as far as i can tell it doesn't recognise it as a modem.
Is a key factor in it working?
Please tell me i'm missing something stupid, i've been on this for hours and it's driving me crazy..

Cheers Albie

stronnag

Re: Cant connect to board in gui

Post by stronnag »

Does it appear as /dev/ttyACMn (n probably == 0) in Ubuntu ?
Are you a member of the group that has access to the device (uucp, or maybe dialout on Ubuntu)? Plug the device in and check.

It may be that multiwiiconf does think /dev/ttyACM0 is a serial device. You can fix this in a number of ways:
  • create a symbolic link to an unused ttyUSBx, e.g.

Code: Select all

ln -sf /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyUSB42
    or
  • In the shell script that runs Multiwiiconf, add to the java command the option (for any tty devices you might like to use):

-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts="/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/rfcomm1:/dev/rfcomm2" 
    or
  • In the shell script that runs Multiwiiconf, add to the java command the option:

-DosName="Linux-all-ports" 
The first option may be automated by a udev rule, e.g.

KERNEL=="ttyACM*", ATTRS{product}=="Arduino*", SYMLINK+="arduino ttyUSB9%n"

The above udev rule (for example as /etc/udev/rules.d/20-arduino.rules) would result in symbolic links of /dev/arduino and /dev/ttyUSB90 being created for /dev/ttyACM0.

No ideas for the monopoly OS. Maybe someone else will tell you what driver you need there.

james123

Re: Cant connect to board in gui

Post by james123 »

Creating a symbolic link solved everything!! you've made my day and i've learnt a bit more about bash.

Thanks Albie