Barely any (no) vertical control on takeoff rockets off!

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
n8lbv

Barely any (no) vertical control on takeoff rockets off!

Post by n8lbv »

I finally gave up on my previous 328P board.
Tried installing a Cirus 2.5 board.
It's been almost 2 months and I still can't get mine to fly right :-(
Or even takeoff right.
I'm frustrated beyond belief at the moment.
My first build with a HK 328P board took me a month but it went flawlessly..
My second and 3rd builds are not working at all and I based them off my first build same FC same motors same quad (brain) esc.

First build was a gift for a friend and he's still happy flying it, I flew it for two weeks before handing it over.
Please see this thread for instensive background: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5605

I'm now on a brand new FC new RX got rid of all the otehr problems and still cannnot fly it.
It idles properly and evenly.
As soon as I barely lift it off the ground it suddenly powers up and shoots straight up about 15feet in the air and I have to throttle it down (all the way down) and crash land it to keep it from climbing out.
It's like it goes full throttle on it;s own soon as it's not in contact with the ground not flipping or any thing all 4 motors too much power right straight up.

Is this normal for stock settings on a 450 size?

URGH!

Anyone else ever experience this?

I've been studying.fighting for months now, I don't get it.
Frustrated.

n8lbv

Re: Barely any (no) vertical control on takeoff rockets off!

Post by n8lbv »

My first 328P build 450 size was very flyable with default settings.
This build is far from it.
What Could I be doing wrong?
Guess I'll eventually find out.

waltr

Post by waltr »

What flight modes are enabled??? Sounds like maybe it is in Baro (altitude hold) mode.
Ensure that it is not in any flight mode, in other words in Acro (Rate) mode and try again.
Did you Cal the ESCs? With which method?

mr.rc-cam

Post by mr.rc-cam »

Are you sure the Z-axis sensor data is not inverted? I suggest you use the MultiwiConf and confirm your sensor values are moving in the correct directions for all axis.

- Thomas

brandon3055

Post by brandon3055 »

I had a similar problem when setting up my 328p. The problem was it had too much lift to fix it i just had to add some expo to the throttle.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

This took an oddball turn in a direction I did not expect.
And yep I did check my gyro correction directions on all axis and they were fine.
Nothing but manual (acro/rate) mode here to start with. the baro feature is not active.
Esc is calibrated I used the MUltiWii esc cal routine. (in config.h)
I've had equal success with this method and doing each esc manually with the TX-RX.
I Like the MultiWii all 4 at once (with props disconnected method).
Esc is set for mid timing no brake and proper battery type.

First of all let me take a moment to mention it's now flying perfectly.
Just was not at all what I expected.
I've sort of been at this (Multiwii) for several months so I sort of know what I'm doing and how things work.
This is the frame I am using: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-HJ-45 ... 56959.html
These motors: http://www.banggood.com/Emax-MT2213-935 ... 69288.html
and this esc: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... _SBEC.html

Cant find it on the net but my first build was on *this* frame which was built in Michigan:
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=54E4061E (Same FC ESC and motors) Flew OK out of the box, flew *MUCH* better when I set P gains up around 6.5 instead of out-of-the box 3 and 3.3 settings.

As it turns out My second and third builds on this fiberglass frame; it seems that this design might be transmitting a lot more vibrations from the props/motors back to the FC.
FC is on two layer thick patch of 3M double stick foam (VHB RED). from Home Depot.
I can't really tell just by looking and feeling, motors and props feel pretty nice/smooth to me.
But adding the 42Hz lowpass filter in software did the trick, made it go from insane lurching power pullouts seemingly on it's own soon as it left the ground to total control.
Also came back and gave the throttle a little expo (in multiwiconf) to make it feel/respond just the way I wanted.
Again not at all what I'd expect. but I'm now flying quite nicely.

Steve

waltr

Post by waltr »

Ok, good you sorted this out and it is flying and Thanks for posting back with your solution.

Vibrations can cause weird problems so they are best eliminated. I have had vibrations do the opposite, the quad would barely get off the ground with full throttle.
Run up the motors (first without then with props) with the USB connected and watch the Sensor graphs in the MWconf.exe GUI.
The graphs should show only a little noise (not more than10's of counts). If much larger try balancing the motors/props as needed.