MultiWii Conf 2.3 and Java startup problem

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
dfruehwald

MultiWii Conf 2.3 and Java startup problem

Post by dfruehwald »

When I try to start MultiWii Conf, I get a "Cannot find javaw" and ShellExecuteEX error on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

I've checked the path as suggested and it is correctly pointing the the directory containing both java.exe and javaw.exe. I can execute java -version and get the correct version info.

I've tried the latest 64-bit Java 7(72) and Java 8(25), is there a specific version of Java to use or something that needs to be done to get it working?

This was a no brainer on MacOS but unfortunately I had to switch over to a Windows machine for other hobby stuff and I'd like to get MultiWii going on this laptop. I'm assunming this is the correct GUI to use, I noticed there is a .NET and Chrome version also.

dfruehwald

Re: MultiWii Conf 2.3 and Java startup problem

Post by dfruehwald »

Got it working finally. My path was set by the installer to the hidden folder "C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath" which contains shortcuts to the actual install location "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin". Even though the shortcuts were correct MultiWii Conf would not start through them. I added the actual path to the %path% variable and its fine now or is until the next update at which time the path will be wrong again. Too bad the shortcuts fail, if they worked we would be insulated from the version number as was intended.

drizzle

Post by drizzle »

Hi,

Glad to hear you fixed the problem! I am also having the same issue and have been pulling my hair out!

How were you able to alter the directory?

drizzle

Post by drizzle »

Hi all,

As the OP may not be monitoring this any more, does anybody else know how he might have achieved this?

My quad is built and ready to go, but this frustrating software issue is the only thing standing in my way :(

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

as said above:
OK, help for Windows and/or dos Newbees:
you have to add the location where java is installed on your machine (something like C:\programs\.... or c:\program 64\..... you have to search for it on YOUR computer) to the path-variable on your computer (search for "path" in the help of your windows and edit the existing variable path; add an ";" and then the complete path you found java installed in. Of course every single letter is important...

And.... I don't believe that that's your very last problem bevore your quad is flying well, but I wish you good luck on your way to it:-)

drizzle

Post by drizzle »

Hi,

Thanks for responding, but I'm afraid I still do not follow. I don't mean to sound stupid, and I'm aware I probably do, but could you provide some more information as to how to alter the path?

waltr

Post by waltr »

goggle "windows PATH" to learn how this is done. Lots and lots of info on the web about doing this.

JohnOCFII

Post by JohnOCFII »

Interesting. I just had to fix the path as well, but I had to add it to the front of the path before the existing Java path entry. I didn't want to delete that one in case other programs can use it successfully.

Kork123

Post by Kork123 »

Where do i add the path location? what file??

Quadraf

Post by Quadraf »

Another way is to copy the Javaw.exe to the javapath directorie. You must have administrator rights todo this.
In my case for instance:
1 rename javaw.exe in C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath to javaw2.exe
2 copy Javaw.exe FROM C:\Program files(86)\Java\JRE1.8.0_45\bin TO C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath

Hans

beetledrift

Post by beetledrift »

Quadraf wrote:Another way is to copy the Javaw.exe to the javapath directorie. You must have administrator rights todo this.
In my case for instance:
1 rename javaw.exe in C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath to javaw2.exe
2 copy Javaw.exe FROM C:\Program files(86)\Java\JRE1.8.0_45\bin TO C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath

Hans

Hans, I just registered to say this: thank you!
I was going crazy over the errors that I got like OP also got.

Finally got GUI working, now up to the next thing, uploading the firmware.. (low memory error in arduino)

devinv

Post by devinv »

I deleted the old shortcut java path and replaced it with the literal one ( C:\Program Files\(x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_60\bin ) and it worked. having both versions of the path did not work.

Pedro14755

Post by Pedro14755 »

For anyone having issues with Multiwii after a Java update, this might help

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6296#p65675