Rapid beep with Multiwii Pro and Turnigy Plush ESCs

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
nickap

Rapid beep with Multiwii Pro and Turnigy Plush ESCs

Post by nickap »

Hi - first time poster and quadcopter builder, here - I'm just getting started in the whole RC world. With my first quadcopter build, things have been going fine overall, but I'm having some trouble with getting the TX configuration right - at least, I think that's my problem. Basically I'm getting a non-stop rapid beep from all four ESCs when I plug in the battery. According to the ESC docs, this means the throttle is not in the bottom position, however this is not the case. Initially even though I was getting the beeping, I was able to arm the board (at which point the beeping would stop) and get power to the motors. At this point though, even though the board arms when I move the left stick to bottom right (the arm LED on the Multiwii board lights up), the motors then don't spin when I apply throttle. I don't believe anything changed in the config, just in the evening the motors would spin when I gave them throttle, the next morning they wouldn't (and now the beeping continues even after the arm LED lights up on the board). I did have some trouble with setting up the HK-T6A TX, as the throw wasn't enough initially to allow the board to be armed - I then set the throw for all sticks using the DigitalRadio software to 120%, which is the maximum allowed by the software. That gave me a range of approx 1100 to 1900 for the throttle; so I adjusted the MINCOMMAND setting in config.h to be 1120, which allowed me to arm the board. The sticks in the middle were showing around 1515, so I set MIDRC to 1515 and used the trim adjusters on the TX to get them as close to that as possible. It seems like everything should be good to go, as far as I can tell, but still I get the constant beeps from the ESCs, and the motors won't spin. Any thoughts? Here's my basic setup, and a list of what I've tried so far:

— Turnigy H.A.L. frame
— Hobbyking HK-T6A tx/rx
— Multiwii Pro FC (w/MTK GPS)
— Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs
— Turnigy 2830-11 motors
— Zippy 4000mAh Lipo

— Calibrated HK-T6A (using DigitalRadio software, set stick throws to maximum 120%)
— Calibrated ESCs (via direct connect to RX), multiple times
— Set following parameters in config.h:
#define MINTHROTTLE 1130
#define MAXTHROTTLE 1850
#define MINCOMMAND 1120
#define MIDRC 1515
— Calibrated ACC in MultiWiiConf
— Calibrated MAG in MultiWiiConf
— Confirmed Multiwii is receiving signal tom TX (stick indicators responding in MultiWiiConf)
— Confirmed lipo fully charged

waltr

Re: Rapid beep with Multiwii Pro and Turnigy Plush ESCs

Post by waltr »

You need to calibrate the ESCs. Easest way is to connect each directly to the Throttle channel of the RC RX. Turn on TX, move throttle stick to max, Now power ESC/RX, ESC should beep now lower throttle stick all the way.
BUT you must properly setup the TX's stick Center and end point values as the very first step.
Study this tutorial:
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/videos.html

nickap

Post by nickap »

I've actually calibrated the ESCs several times - just to make sure I got it right. I set up the TX using DigitalRadio software first of all, then did the ESC calibration. Everything seemed to work perfectly, but still I get the beeping.

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

I've had almost the same Configuration.

But that doesn't help you.

There is also a Mode in Config.h //#define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY
Read the stuff mentioned in the Config.h.

Don't forget to calibrate the ACC at least.
I've never had such issue on my 30A Plush.

The only time you get Fast beeping (as far as i know) is when i Unplug the Signal cable to the ESC).

I use 1220 Minthrottle & 2000 Maxthrottle.

nickap

Post by nickap »

Okay, I'm finally getting somewhere ... I tried calibrating the ESCs via the Multiwii board instead of directly connecting them to the RX (thanks for the suggestion, Hypermobile!). Immediately cured the beeping, the motors now spin up and yes - it does (finally) fly! Not particularly well right now - but not bad for a maiden flight! Now to start the fine-tuning ... :)

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

Nice!

Maybe you can use my PID, since i got the same Airframe Same ESC. Props?

3S or 4S?? (i guess 3S)

nickap

Post by nickap »

That would be awesome! Right now I have all the leveling etc. turned off, so I'm sure it'll be a lot more stable when I enable some of those options - but I do want to get the PID etc. dialed as well as I can before I turn them on. Yes, it's 3S, and the props are 10 x 4.5. Thanks!

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

for a 4S 1045 Plush 30A (approx 2Kg)

Roll: P=3.1 ; i=0,0035 ; d=25
Pitch: P=3.1 ; i=0,0035 ; d=25
Yaw: P=6.8 ; i=0,0045 ; d=0

on a 3S you P-level should be 3.8~4.2 or so. for Roll& PItch

Angle is the most stable; Most NON-acrobatic mode.

I also Reduce stickmovement bij 50%....(Dual Rate switches).
It Makes steady flight easier.

I don't fly Acrobatic...i try to fly as steady as possible; (video gimbal Quad)

nickap

Post by nickap »

That's exactly my plan - fly as steady as possible for capturing video. (I still need to set up the camera mount etc., but I'll get there eventually.) I'll definitely try these settings - thanks!!

nickap

Post by nickap »

Hey there - thanks again for the help with the PID settings. I'm basically very close to having a really stable copter that flies smoothly - with one major exception. Periodically - and pretty frequently - I get what I think is called the 'death wobbles' - the quadcopter will be flying very smoothly, I'll be hardly moving the controls, and suddenly it will start to wobble violently from side to side, which is pretty much always followed by a crash. I thought for a while that it was turbulence that was kicking it off - but I've seen this happen on completely calm days. Any thoughts what might be doing it? I sometimes also get a 'dip' to one side that it then recovers from - but just as often the dip leads into the wobbles.

Here's how the beast is looking at this point (notice that for now at least, I've swapped out the carbon legs with steel - heavier, but less prone to breakage - I've gone through so many sets of landing gear because of this issue!) :o

nickap

Post by nickap »

Sorted out the death wobbles - I had my MINTHROTTLE setting too low. Now I have it so the props spin up smoothly on arming, and the death wobble is (as far as I can tell) completely gone.