GPS working, but I cannot use rtf poshold or any gps option?

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
maxkunes

GPS working, but I cannot use rtf poshold or any gps option?

Post by maxkunes »

Hi, I have a whitespy mega 2.0 running a ublox neo 6m gps - (From whitespy already flashed).. I soldered on some new pins to make an adapter, and connected it to my mega 2 through the gps port. Through multiwii conf and win gui, everything is well, I get a good lock 7-10 sats and a good pos on the map. I also get the lon and lat fine and they are correct to my location. But when I assign gps hold and gps home to aux switches they do not work correctly. I believe I am setting gps home and mag on aux one and gps hold and baro to aux 2. When I try it I turn on my quad wait for a lock which i believe is a flashing blue light, and arm it. Fly it away and activate gps home, it seems to fly autonomously it rotates it self in a direction and flies in that direction, every time it did that once it was flying for a little i turned it off because it was getting to far off my sight line.. And for gps hold, It doesn't seem to work at all?

**(SEPERATE QUESTION ^^ EVERY THING ABOVE WAS DONE WITH A WORKING FLASH OF 2.3) And one final thing, I was trying to flash the multiwii 2.3 baro fix to my quad the other day, after I configured it, it seems like it sees no input from my reciver? I was checking this in mult conf and win gui and try to arm it by switches and sticks.. Thanks for the help - Max

haydent

Re: GPS working, but I cannot use rtf poshold or any gps opt

Post by haydent »

is your mag working correctly ? maybe it needs callibrating

maxkunes

Post by maxkunes »

haydent wrote:is your mag working correctly ? maybe it needs callibrating

Ill try that today, report back later, but would that really make pos hold basically not work at all?

brewski

Post by brewski »

Check in WinGUI, MWConfig or EZ-GUI that the GPS modes are indeed being selected with TX AUX switches. Whilst in RC Control settings ensure that you have a level flight (Angle or Horizon) mode selected with GPS function. GPS will not activate without autolevel flight mode or if module has not acquired at least 5 satellites.

haydent

Post by haydent »

maxkunes wrote:
haydent wrote:is your mag working correctly ? maybe it needs callibrating

Ill try that today, report back later, but would that really make pos hold basically not work at all?

well if your mag is not correct the copter is likely to go in the wrong direction

maxkunes

Post by maxkunes »

Well i tried everything above and still the same.. *sigh*

brewski

Post by brewski »

Just to confirm 1. you are getting the Pos Hold & RTH lights illumination in WinGUI (or other) when you Arm & then select the functions on TX?
2. You are also selecting 'Horizon ' flight mode together plus Baro with these GPS functions by ticking the boxes in the AUX selections for GPS

Edit. That should read Mag
Last edited by brewski on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haydent

Post by haydent »

maybe post a screen shot of your gui aux config

brewski

Post by brewski »

haydent wrote:maybe post a screen shot of your gui aux config

As you can see Aux 1 is Flight Mode, Aux 2 GPS mode, and Aux 3 controls Baro. You could have Baro pre selected with GPS if switches limited.
I like to keep Baro separate to use as Alt Hold (without GPS) & be able to disable quickly if required because as you are probably aware Baro takes over throttle to a major extent.
You can land with Baro engaged by lowering throttle, but won't be able to disarm until Baro is turned off.
Attachments
Aux_settings.jpg

maxkunes

Post by maxkunes »

My config is the same basically of the pic above.. Still not working

brewski

Post by brewski »

You haven't confirmed that with MWConfig connected that you get Green lights lit for the GPS functions plus modes that are required for GPS functionality.
E.G. With GPS Hold selected by TX do you have Green lit for-
GPS Hold
Horizon
Mag
Baro
You also need to set your Magnetic Declination for where you are flying & accurately calibrate your Mag & ACC.
I think you mentioned that you were running MW2.3 Baro fix. As you are running a FC with AtMega2560 I suggest you download, configure & install MW2.3 Navib7 together with MW2.3 WinGUI pre10 for B7 from http://eosbandi.com/downloads/ You will find this has better GPS integration as well as virtually everything APM has to offer such as Missions, Land (autoland), Fencing etc.

What is recommended when activating GPS Hold or GPS Home is to first hover, turn on Baro for Alt Hold & then initiate the GPS function.
Before plugging in Lipo I place quad on reasonably level surface, then plug in ensuring I don't move quad during initialisation. I then watch GPS light (I have a hi intensity blue LED connected to a buffer circuit from FC GPS led at rear ) until I see at least 4 flashes (8 satellites) before arming. This can take up to several minutes from cold start & also allows the Baro & other sensors temp to stabilise.
When I first connected GPS to my Crius AIOP V2 I used to arm as soon as GPS module light showed Sat Lock. After experiencing several flyaways & subsequent crashes :( when GPS activated I learnt the hard way to trust only the GPS status LED on FC.

gmohr

Post by gmohr »

Have you gotten your gps hold fixed. I have the same problem but only with the latest mutiwii. When I put 2.3 back gps switch works. Any ideas what I am missing. I am sure it is a setting in arduino.

vtpete

Post by vtpete »

I'm having basically the same problem. As with many, I've spent far too many day getting it all working and I refuse to give up now.

I have the Hobby King MultiWii Pro with the GPS module.

The GPS is working; I get 8 or 9 satellites sitting near a window.

But, I've had the weirdest behavior that I'm hoping a better understanding of how MultiWiiConf works will help to solve.

First, no matter what I do, I can't get any of the GPS hold functions to activate in the GUI. Even after I have a great GPS signal, have done a calibration of mag & acc.

There's more symptoms. Such as, sometimes the arming just stops completely until I do a bunch of voodoo with the MultiWiiConf. I've been able to get my quad to arm, spin up and hover. But, I couldn't get it to go into any GPS hold modes despite selecting ANGLE in combination with it. Then, when I go into the configuration tool, and try resetting my flight options, it stops arming altogether.

Now, I will completely admit that I'm on my fourth version of the multiwii software, having tried just about every option out there. While I've been careful to use the same version of the configuration tool at the multiWii software itself (2.2 vs 2.3 vs 2.4, etc.), It feels like an incorrect data structure is being read and written to my Arduino to store these various settings.

Which begs the question: How are the switch settings and other misc settings communicated to the board? Is it possible that the first time I did this, it stored a certain version and since then I've just been using an out of sync data structure?

My family is starting to insist that I throw it away. (Why won't you come play in the snow with us?)

Any thoughts at all?
Update: I tried clearing the eprom (no problem). I went into the GUI and reset my switches as in the screen shot. But, it refuses to arm.
There's a voodoo list of requirements for arming out there and I have yet to find it! I read somewhere that you can't go into GPS modes until it's armed?

There must be something about the throttle min, max, etc.?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 2.28.44 PM.png

vtpete

Post by vtpete »

Got it all working!
To make an extremely long story extremely short.... I had, at some point, ran a configuration GUI with the wrong version of the flight software (2.3 vs 2.4). Don't do that.

To fix it all, I deleted everything and started over. Took about 15 minutes. The full refresh meant:
1) Download the new software (I ended up with 2.3)
2) Make my changes to config.h... which by now I was an expert at.
3) Load and run the sketch to wipe the EEProm (from the Arduino sample code menu.)
4) Set the config.h for ESC calibration and run it. Do this with your props off, boys because at least in my case, it spins up the motors at full blast.
5) Comment out the ESC calibration line and reload the sketch.
6) Wait 30 seconds. I'm not sure why, but I can't arm immediately. *Something* that takes longer than a boot requires me to wait. But, then arm it and throttle up... it worked!
7) Run the config GUI and calibrate ACC and Mag. (Remember to not have it armed, or the ACC roll won't calibrate... it will be -1000). Save settings.
8) Choose your flight modes and save settings. Remember, you can't use any of the GPS features unless you have a GPS lock AND you're armed. (IE, you have to start in a non-GPS mode.)

I believe I can officially start helping out other people now! Whew!
-Pete