Problem arming Crius V2.3 clone using DX7 TX

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
brewski

Problem arming Crius V2.3 clone using DX7 TX

Post by brewski »

Hi guys,

I bought an X525 quad kit using exact clone of Crius Atmel 328 SE V2.5. When run in V2.3 configurator the board appears as V220 which I'm guessing is V2.2 firmware.
All parameters appear in GUI & I can calibrate both ACC & Mag sensors. My problem is that when connected to ESCs and motors (I did ESC calibration) when I attempt to arm using sticks the blue status LED gives a long flash & then two short flashes but won't arm. If I set the AUX channel2 for Arm then it will arm correctly every time & run motors.
I've tried changing throttle min to 1000 with 2000max & calibrated sensors many times.
I don't think it is a sensor problem. When level the blue led is off & when tilted approx. 25deg in any angle led flashes & prevents arming even with chan2 as it should for safety.
I reflashed controller with V2.3 hoping this would help, but still no arm with sticks (just blue LED flash sequence). I now can't arm with Aux2 so it must be disabled in V2.3 by default.
Maybe arming problem is due to setup of DX7. Does anyone know what settings will allow arming using sticks?

Cheers..B

waltr

Re: Problem arming Crius V2.3 clone using DX7 TX

Post by waltr »

The very first step in setting up for MultiWii is adjusting your transmitter's Center and End Points (may be called sub-trim and stick gains).
You must ensure that when the sticks are centered the values in MultiWii Config are 1500 and that values of 100 to 200 are obtained with the sticks at extremes. Then the 'stick commands' such as ARM will work.
This is a common oversight and has been discussed in this forum.
Do a Google search on DX7 to learn how the adjust the transmitter.

brewski

Post by brewski »

Hi Waltr,
I just set low value of 1000, high value of 2000 and mid point of as close to 1500 as I could get with sub trim for all controls on DX7. I set up a blank model on DX7 and using Acro mode.
When I attempt to arm using throttle to min & Yaw to far left (I'm using mode1 being in Australia) I still get the blue status LED giving one long and two short flashes.
I uncommented # DEFINE RCAUXPIN8 I now can arm using AUX2 with V2.3 firmware.
I would really like to be able to arm using sticks as I want to use AUX2 for other purposes & 328 based Crius SE V2.5 does not have many available outputs.

With battery disconnected & only using USB thru FTDI to power controller and receiver I still can't arm with sticks (only AUX2) so ESCs can't be problem.

Any other ideas to try?

Cheers..B

waltr

Post by waltr »

When I attempt to arm using throttle to min & Yaw to far left (I'm using mode1 being in Australia)

According the the stick command chart:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/mul ... for-mode-1

ARMing in Mode 1 TX's is the right stick to the bottom and the left stick to the right not left corner. Or MIN Throttle value and MAX YAW value if you have un-commented Arm with YAW in the MW code.

brewski

Post by brewski »

Hi Waltr,

Thanks for the cheat sheet & yes I can arm with this sequence. I was following one was obviously wrong.

I now have a new problem. I noticed that motors with props on were not in sync with speed changing erratically so I decided to recalibrate ESCs.
Please advise if I am doing it correctly. I connected each motor in turn direct to Throttle port on RX with TX on Max, As soon as two beeps moved stick to Min & got acknowledge beep. I then checked that motor could be controlled from stop to full range before disconnecting battery & reconnecting motor to FC.

After I calibrated ESCs & confirmed they were correctly connected to FC I connected battery & now get musical tone followed by rapid beep from all motors.
I recalibrated all four again with same result. Arming or disarming does not stop the rapid beeping.

Even though FC was working OK with GUI I suspected some corruption so reflashed to V2.2. Same result.

Do you know what this rapid beeping is due to? It doesn't happen with motors connected directly to RX.

Thanks,
B

brewski

Post by brewski »

Fixed it.
Because I had set TX throttle low & high settings to get 1000-2000 in GUI when I calibrated ESCs direct into RX it set low speed wrong which resulted in the beeping "throttle too high".
I returned Throttle low & high to 100% and recalibrated all ESCs & now beeping has stopped & all motors will run.

I'm certain that ESCs are not correctly calibrated using this method because they don't all start at same throttle position or go to same max in GUI.
With no props when I observe speeds in GUI they are jumping all over the place with at least one making an occasional 'click 'noise.The gyro lines are going crazy so possible that some sort of interference from ESCs is causing this.
The motors feel smooth to turn so don't think it is bearing or loose magnet, but possible. I noticed with motors armed with no throttle that one motor felt slightly difficult to turn. I went into ESC programming & found brake was on so disabled function.
Any suggestions for other ESC settings to work best with quads?

I thought that it possible that the erratic speeds could be due to no load on motors so fitted props & tied quad to a weight. It tries to take off but speed variations so great that it wobbles like a drunken sailor! Increasing throttle puts it into an oscillation.

Any tips would be appreciated. I am running stock V2.3 with only changes 'Quad X' and 'Crius SE V2' uncommented. Board is Crius SE V2.5 clone with same sensors & board layout. There is no brand evident but appears identical in photos to ones that others are using successfully.

Cheers..B

sismeiro

Post by sismeiro »

brewski wrote:I thought that it possible that the erratic speeds could be due to no load on motors so fitted props & tied quad to a weight. It tries to take off but speed variations so great that it wobbles like a drunken sailor! Increasing throttle puts it into an oscillation.

Hi,

I think you are having to much vibrations that make the gyros crazy and the FC cannot correctly control the quadcopter. Connect the FC to the MultiWiiConf and check the graphs for vibrations.

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

brewski

Post by brewski »

I did a search of forums & found that most using this Crius V2.5 board set 42hz for 5060 gyro/acc.
I did this & I can actually take off for first time so problem was due to vibration.
I might use some resilient mounts for FC & might be able to use a higher frequency setting.

I just need to now learn how to fly and fine tune a quad (at least you can practise in your back yard) & try the settings accessible by Aux switches.
I just wish there was a guide for MW V2.3 which outlined how to set these up. The only guides on GUI I have found relate to much earlier versions.

Cheers..B

sismeiro

Post by sismeiro »

brewski wrote:I just need to now learn how to fly and fine tune a quad (at least you can practise in your back yard) & try the settings accessible by Aux switches.
I just wish there was a guide for MW V2.3 which outlined how to set these up. The only guides on GUI I have found relate to much earlier versions.

Did you try the wiki information? Try here: http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration.

waltr

Post by waltr »

For tuning PIDs the 'string method' works quite well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNzqTGEl2xQ