cant get gps to work

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
markymark14

cant get gps to work

Post by markymark14 »

hi people
I really need some help I been trying now for 4 days to get my gps to work on my multiwii pro board. im new to this but have learnt a lot in the last few days but every thing I read about gps don't seem to be working for me.
I have flashed my fc with so many different firmware I just want to start again with someones recommendation on firmware.
this is my fc and gps

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... h=multiwii

someone please help lol

haydent

Re: cant get gps to work

Post by haydent »

so i would just start with mw 2.3, and make sure you have the config.h settings for that gps setup correctly, did you try that already ? you can also just connect up the gps to a ftdi and use a program to read the gps data, also you may have simlply had the gps wired up wrong.

tell what your upto ?

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

There are several possibilities to include a mistake:

1. hardware
Have you crossed the serial connection between FC and GPS device? TX<->RX

2. configuration
Have you set in config.h
- #define GPS_SERIAL 2 // to the serial port number you are using at the FC ?
- #define GPS_BAUD 57600 // to the baud rate of your GPS ?
and the standard GPS the NMEA configuration
- #define NMEA
//#define UBLOX
//#define MTK_BINARY16 // MTK_BINARY16 - MTK3329 chipset based GPS with DIYDrones binary firmware (v1.6)
//#define MTK_BINARY19 // MTK_BINARY19 - MTK3329 chipset based GPS with DIYDrones binary firmware (v1.9)
#define INIT_MTK_GPS // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence or binary settings
3. new firmware of the GPS (requires new firmware for GPS - don't know which version is delivered by HK)
- //#define NMEA
//#define UBLOX
//#define MTK_BINARY16 // MTK_BINARY16 - MTK3329 chipset based GPS with DIYDrones binary firmware (v1.6)
#define MTK_BINARY19 // MTK_BINARY19 - MTK3329 chipset based GPS with DIYDrones binary firmware (v1.9)
#define INIT_MTK_GPS // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence or binary settings

markymark14

Post by markymark14 »

yeah ive tried it all and still nothing

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Try to change TX and RX. (Even if the connection is wrong, it will not harm anything.)

markymark14

Post by markymark14 »

Yeah I've tried swapping the Rx/Tx still nothing . Thinking I might have a dud gps. I've had a couple of days break from the thing or I'll have no hair left . Going to give it another try tomorrow

haiquocpham

Post by haiquocpham »

Just got mine working 2 days ago. I got exactly the same board and GPS as you. Received it about a week ago. Here what I done on the config.h file:

#define HEX6X
#define FFIMUv2
#define GPS_SERIAL 2
#define GPS_BAUD 115200 // Not 57600 as previous post suggested
#define NMEA // Definitely need this one. I didn't do this at first and got frustrated for a few hours
#define INIT_MTK_GPS
#define MAG_DECLINATION -10.75f // Use your own number here

// #define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY // Comment this out. I am not at this stage yet

With those mods in the config.h file, it works like a charm. I got 11 satellites in about 15 seconds.
I am also new at this. This is my first.

Hope this will help you

simonito

Post by simonito »

man i have been in your place and every answer everybody is giving is obvious and i know you tried all before even bother to register here so let me tell you something try conecting this stuff on to pc with battery on and try bolth tx-rx and than swich all of cross rx to tx and see if it works if not try to suply the board with 6 volt if you have an sbec or find something with 6 volts and try it if it does not work make a video of the problem and fill an rma to hk so you can get a new one i had the same problem and it was because the 5 volt voltage regulator was not working. if you find that its working with 6 volts than unplug the 6 v and plug it normal and make the video for the rma the board isnt supose to working on 6 volts but on 5 so its faulty if it does not i can show you how to fix it to if that is the problem and you gett to keep bolth cards old and new... ;)

markymark14

Post by markymark14 »

thanks for the reply guys going to try out your suggestions now

markymark14

Post by markymark14 »

haiquocham I tried it and still nothing . what firmware u running and what wingui u using too .

I was told that on the multiwii wingui the picture of the satellite goes green when u have it configured even if u have no satellites is this right?

simonito I don't have a sbec and have swapped the rx and tx and..... you guested it .. NOTHING!!!!

I GIVE UP

haiquocpham

Post by haiquocpham »

markymark14

I downloaded my code from:
http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list --- File "MultiWii_2_3.zip". I then modified the config.h as specified

I downloaded WinGUI from:
http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/downloads/list --- File "WinGUI_2.3pre8(b5).zip" or "WinGUI_2.2.zip". Both of them work. Version 2.2 works all the time. Version 2.3 sometime complain about cannot connect to the server but start in the cache mode

I can also connect it to MultiWiiConf software (which is the GUI, just like the WinGUI, but much... urlier)

Don't give up!! This is a hobby. No pain, no joy (that is if you get it to work!).

If you want, PM my your email and I will send you my code (the code is only 0.6Mb). Of course I config my code for my copter (Hexcopter - X configuration) but you can try it out just to see if it will work.

To test the GPS, I didn't have any thing connect to the MultiWii Pro board but just the GPS module and the USB cable to my laptop.

People recommend to test it out side but it worked for me even before I stand up to walk out.

haiquocpham

Post by haiquocpham »

MarkyMark14

I just PM you my email address. Email me if you want my code.

When you connect to MultiWiiGUI (WiiGUI) the satellite icon remain red until you get at least one satellite. The LED on upper right corner of the satellite icon (labeled PKT) will blink red/green if it receive package from the satellite.

helizrnew2me

Post by helizrnew2me »

use multiwii 2.3
define gps serial 2
define nmea
define GPS_BAUD 57600

thats it .if it dont work try swapping rx/tx again .

if it still dont work something else is wrong ,are you defining the right board in aurdino?and config h ?

should be

#define FFIMUv2 // second version of 9DOF+baro board from Jussi, with HMC5883

simonito

Post by simonito »

don't give up man that what make us succesfull ..not gining up.. you know how many days i try to setup my tricopter to fly smooth?untill today i try... its been a month seens i build it i already broke 3 sets of propelers and 2 frames... only to relize that it the problem was the board not my setings take my word and do an rma to hk so you can get another also contact suport a day after making the rma and ask them how the rma is working (it seems to work faster that way) i joined this board only to help others not to brake their own multirotors by making my mistakes.

scrat

Post by scrat »

And do not use WinGUI with mwii v2.3.

regzgz

cant get gps to work

Post by regzgz »

scrat wrote:And do not use WinGUI with mwii v2.3.

Care to detail why not?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Because it is not compatible. This gui could destroy your settings..

Profil7037_quadro

Post by Profil7037_quadro »

Hi,

I had similar trouble, but now it works. Got the boards 4 weeks ago from HK. Maybe I can help you.
First I checked if the GPS receiver is realy working. Red LED ok. At Tx (yellow) I checked the signal waveform with a scope meter. 3.3 V Peak Peak. (The battery is soldered on the board, but was dischared. I supposed due to long storage time at HK. But this has no impact) . The green Rx cable can be left unused = not connected. TX of the GPS receiver must be connected to RX of serial port of the multiwii.

Signal ok, but it is 57600 Baud !! (The protocol is 8N1).

So in config.h it must be
/****** Serial com speed *********************************/
/* This is the speed of the serial interfaces */
#define SERIAL0_COM_SPEED 115200
#define SERIAL1_COM_SPEED 115200
#define SERIAL2_COM_SPEED 57600
#define SERIAL3_COM_SPEED 115200
Only Port 2 with 57600, the other must stay on 115200, otherwise the GUI is not correct working.
Then, set
#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
#define GPS_BAUD 57600

#define NMEA
//#define UBLOX
//#define MTK_BINARY16
#define MTK_BINARY19
#define INIT_MTK_GPS
then the grey compass circle in the GUI is blinking. GPS fix is still red, because I worked indoor. Going into the garden, I got GPS fix green, receiving 6 sats after 1 minute.

5mman

Post by 5mman »

I'm new to Multiwii too. I've spent a couple of days on my GPS to no avail. My GPS is powering up. It finds satelites because the fix LED goes green. Not a single packet of data between it and the I2C to GPS board and PC. The I2C board is working. I can talk to my FC with it. If you have a win let me know what you did. I'll do the same. I'm a step behind you though. I'm trying to find out how to edit the config.h file. Where is it??!!! Videos on youtube talk about it but I have no idea how to find or modify it.

Very true that it's a hobby so it's meant to be a challenge. Always nice when you get things working though!

brewski

Post by brewski »

Use Arduino IDE. Download from MW site or arduino.cc. Don't forget to set your board type & serial port number in IDE.
Config.h is in dropdown tab at far right

DARKHOURS

Post by DARKHOURS »

here is also a great video waking you through all the steps from updating baud rates to setting it all up .. was having about the same problems and it got me up and running in no time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJrErUl ... H7&index=3
Just another idea