Dynamic balancing (DYNBALANCE) - does it work?

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
jz1

Dynamic balancing (DYNBALANCE) - does it work?

Post by jz1 »

Hi!
I am new to multiWii, Arduino and so on, so my question may be stupid but...
My setup: Crius SE 2.0 Board connected to PC (Win7 x64) via FTDI USB<>UART converter, my board is running MultiWii 2.3.
I have issue with dynamic balancing, it did not seem to work at all, selecting motor and setting throttle did not do anything, sometimes (when I had balancing tab on top in MultiWiiConf) random motor(s) was starting and I had to reboot board to stop it (thank's God props were off). I searched a little bit and there are other people having the same problem, they use different boards, so it does not seem to board problem. I did some investingation and it seems to be MultiWiiConf->Crius communication problem. I used serial monitor to check what MultiWiiConf is sending and frames that set motors look ok. The problem shows up on the copter side in serialCom function (Protocol.cpp file) when the checksum is checked - all checksums in frames setting motors are incorrect, but when I skip checksum checking for MSP_SET_MOTOR command balancing works almost like it should. The added code is else block:

Code: Select all

if (checksum[CURRENTPORT] == c) {  // compare calculated and transferred checksum            
            evaluateCommand();  // we got a valid packet, evaluate it
          }
          else
          {
            if (cmdMSP[CURRENTPORT] == MSP_SET_MOTOR)
               evaluateCommand();           
          }

"Almost like it should" means that randomly other motors start for a second and stop...

And now my question (to all of you, those who use dynbalance without problems and those having issues like mine): what is your setup (board type, operating system, type of USB<->UART converter)?

ramdg

Re: Dynamic balancing (DYNBALANCE) - does it work?

Post by ramdg »

My setup: Crius SE 2.5 Board connected to PC (Win7 x64) via FTDI USB<>UART converter I've downgraded to MultiWii 2.2

jz1

Post by jz1 »

I have some new info:
- on Win7 x64 + FTDI almost all frames have wrong checksums, some of theme (1 per thousand or so) have correct checksums, but then data is corrupted - that's the reason of random motor spinning
- on Win7 x64 + Bluetooth it is exactly the same
- on WinXP x32 + FTDI all frames have wrong checksums, but there are no frames with wrong data, so no random motor spinning occur

In a week or two I will have another MultiWii board, I will check if the problem is board related.

Rust

Post by Rust »

Mine setup is the same.
Win7 x64, CRIUS SE V2.5, FTDI adapter usb->serial
I have few other boards, I got to try the DYNBALANCE with them when I have the time.

xq_operator

Post by xq_operator »

I've been using multiwii on several 32k boards before and after I acquired crius aio pro I found that DYNBALANCE is dangerously broken.
I am not sure if this is the right (most recent) topic for DYNBALANCE discussion but I managed to get it working by modifying the configurator code :roll:

jz1

Post by jz1 »

Currently I have no time for further research, but I am interested very much in your solution.