First Quadrocopter with MultiWii 2.3 non-stable flight

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
Gecko

First Quadrocopter with MultiWii 2.3 non-stable flight

Post by Gecko »

Hello everybody,

I hope you can help me with my problem.

I have a self-made X-Quadrocopter (bought one and it is my first quadrocopter).
Now I have 2 problems:

Problem 1) I have a little problem with the throttle. On my RC transmitter I have snugged down the ratchet so I have a step-throttle-control on my left D-Pad. Now I have the little problem when I am at the rotation speed to take off then I have one level on the D-Pad then my multicopter permanently rises and on the next lower level it permanently falls -> With that I can't hold the altitude and my copter goes down and up 1-2 meters every time.

Problem 2) When I start my copter and it rises up then it seems like the yaw drifts permanently in neutral position. I have read something about I can change something in the code so that small +- values of the transmitting singal will be ignored but I don't find the option anymore. Can you help me with it?

What can I do to fix this little issues?

Regards

linuxslate

Re: First Quadrocopter with MultiWii 2.3 non-stable flight

Post by linuxslate »

Almost all problems like this are due to improper configuration of the ESC's.

When I built my first quad, it was also my first electric R/C aircraft (I'm from the days of gas-powered models).

So I had a bit of a learning curve. I had never heard of a "programming card". I thought it was something you got from the local community collage after you took a course in Java. :roll:

What I learned is that you (generally) must do 2 separate "programmings" of the ESC's.

First you must set up the ESC's for your model correctly using either the "stick method", or the proper programming card for your ESC's. (Do this with each ESC connected directly to the receiver. Do one at a time, and make sure they are all programmed exactly the same.) Yes, there are cables that let you do all 4 at once, and you can use that if you have it, but first-timers like I was should get the hang of it with just 1 ESC connected to the throttle channel of the receiver first.

Some one latter gave me a programming card, and I re-did it with the programming card since it was easier to be sure the settings were correct.

Second, you must also do the ESC cal in multiwii. See end of the config file. You really do have to do this. Like it says, props off or have someone (brave) hold the 'copter down. I've never had one spin the motors while in config mode, but given the consequences to people, the quad, furniture, etc., be prepared.

Now some of the more experienced folks here may say that you can skip some of the steps, but for the first-time setup of a first quad, I think you have to do them all.

Gecko

Post by Gecko »

That can't have to do something with it as the copter is secondhand and already configured.

treym

Post by treym »

Gecko wrote:Problem 2) When I start my copter and it rises up then it seems like the yaw drifts permanently in neutral position. I have read something about I can change something in the code so that small

the deadband feature is used to mitigated input related to "user's finger induced issue"

http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/sourc ... nfig.h#623

/* introduce a deadband around the stick center
Must be greater than zero, comment if you dont want a deadband on roll, pitch and yaw */
//#define DEADBAND 6

also , please check for structural issue ...

Gecko

Post by Gecko »

This option is what I have been looking for!
Thanks.