EZ-GUI Q&A

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
ezio

EZ-GUI Q&A

Post by ezio »

If you have a question about MultiWii EZ-GUI write it here.
Bart

[Q] How to connect MultiWii via USB cable?
1.Connect the cable (I have Samsung galaxy tab 2 and I have to first connect MultiWii to OTG cable and then OTG cable to the tablet, If I do it in another order it doesn't work)
2.MultiWii EZ-GUI should pop up automatically.
3.Go to settings (scroll left to the last screen)
4.Select "Use Serial Port for...."
5.Select driver your device: FTDI or Other ("Other" is for devices like Arduino Leonardo etc. it also supports: FTDI FT232R UART, FTDI FT231X, Arduino, Teensyduino, CP210x UART Bridge, Prolific PL2303) - usually if you sellect FTDI it works fine
6.Make sure that your serial port baud rate is correct. Usually it equals 115200. But it can be different if you use ie. 3DR Telemetry etc.
7.Exit settings and restart the application
8.If your app hangs during the transmission you can try set higher value in Settings->Refresh Rate (steps by 50 are reasonable)
Last edited by ezio on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

roddie1154

Re: EZ-GUI Q&A

Post by roddie1154 »

How can I buy the unlocked app. My country doesn't allow this through the play store app. Normally I'd have to go to a website to do this.

ezio

Post by ezio »

roddie1154 wrote:How can I buy the unlocked app. My country doesn't allow this through the play store app. Normally I'd have to go to a website to do this.

what is your country ?
I will see what I can do.
Bart

roddie1154

Post by roddie1154 »

ezio wrote:
roddie1154 wrote:How can I buy the unlocked app. My country doesn't allow this through the play store app. Normally I'd have to go to a website to do this.

what is your country ?
I will see what I can do.
Bart

Its Brunei. Play store doesn't allow to buy any apps here.

odem

Post by odem »

What is the spec required for this app?
I have an old Samsung Galaxy S2 and this app does not appear, but a newer cheaper android phone does list it in google play.

ezio

Odp: EZ-GUI Q&A

Post by ezio »

odem wrote:What is the spec required for this app?
I have an old Samsung Galaxy S2 and this app does not appear, but a newer cheaper android phone does list it in google play.

It should work from android 2.2 and up. I'm usually test it on htc desire Z android 2.2.3. I'm still investigating why on some android devices it doesn't show up.

odem

Post by odem »

Let me confirm the build details of the device, I am abit slow so it will take a few days

odem

Post by odem »

The app is great, I love it! I will no longer have to take my laptop with me to tune the PID values and make settings changes.
I am so donating to this one...

The phone is running Cyogenmod 9 which is Andriod 4.04 so it passes the 2.2 min requirement. But I did notice that the Dashboard 3, maps and way points all don't work as they require google play services. Not able to install this either as it says the device is not supported. Google play services has a min spec of 2.3 so I don't know what its issue is.

My guess is that google play detected I did not meet a dependency of the 'google play services' so the app was filtered out. Unless of cause you have applied some other filters such as slow CPU's that removed my crappy device.

Nice work :)

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hi!
First, thank you for your great app.
Now i would like to know wich rom i should use with my Samsung i5800.

What i have tried:

**Froyo**
Kyrillos'_rom_v9.7_JPU_NON-OC
-Able to download and run your app via Google Play
-Not able to use the map and waypoint features, requires google play services update

**Gingerbread**
Kyrillos'_rom_v10.6
-Not able to find Ez Gui in google play

**Jelly Bean**
stabiliav4 rom

I found these roms here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1234591

Btw. I am using Kyrillos'_rom_v9.7 for now to be able to use basic funtions in EZ-GUI.
Is there any way to force installation of the needed google play services update?
I tried to install V4.5 of google play via apk. That did not do the trick..

Any advice how i could get map, and waypoint features working on this phone?

Thanks!
Greetz Noc

ezio

Post by ezio »

Noctaro wrote:Hi!
First, thank you for your great app.
Now i would like to know wich rom i should use with my Samsung i5800.

What i have tried:

**Froyo**
Kyrillos'_rom_v9.7_JPU_NON-OC
-Able to download and run your app via Google Play
-Not able to use the map and waypoint features, requires google play services update

**Gingerbread**
Kyrillos'_rom_v10.6

**Jelly Bean**
stabiliav4 rom

I found these roms here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1234591

Btw. I am using Kyrillos'_rom_v9.7 for now to be able to use basic funtions in EZ-GUI.
Is there any way to force installation of the needed google play services update?
I tried to install V4.5 of google play via apk. That did not do the trick..

Any advice how i could get map, and waypoint features working on this phone?

Thanks!
Greetz Noc

Hi
The EZ-GUI should work fine on every version of android greater or equal 2.2 (froyo)
Only maps requires google play services which you can usualy install from here https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndroid.gms

At the moment I have no idea why on some phones and tablets it doesn't show in Play Store.

Bart

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hi bart,
thank you for your answer.

The strange thing is, that it seems "google play services" is already installed.
It does not matter if i login via handy or via computer. Both say installed. :?
Your software does not say its not installed, but it want to force an update.
The problem is that i cant do so, because it seems to be up to date. (Google Inc. 13. Dezember 2013)
I dont have google maps installed right now, may this be the problem? I ll try to install it now and report back.

Greetz Noc

ezio

Post by ezio »

Try to install Google maps and let me know

Noctaro

AW: EZ-GUI Q&A

Post by Noctaro »

hi again.
i installed google maps and reinstalled play services. it did not help. gui still forces me to update.
greetz noc

update: I did some playing around with your app. For me it freezes after disarm and i have to force close.
I will continue testing tomorrow to give some further feedback, as my girlfriend gonna beat me if i continue to arm and disarm while she tries to sleep :mrgreen:

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hi bart.
Some update:
I have installed the official Froyo on my Samsung Galaxy 3 (5801). Now the freezes are gone.
Still have the problem with the google play service. Your app forces an update. Google play says it is up to date.
I read about Google play services 4.0 dropped support for Froyo.
You mentioned that you use Froyo yourself? What version of google play services is installed on your device?
Btw. my google maps app works fine.

Do you have any further ideas?

Thank you!
Greetz Noc

motopreserve

Post by motopreserve »

I just got an HP 7 running Android 4.1.2. I am completely new to these devices (Mac all around until now). For some reason it says that the app is not compatible with my device. Is there something I need to upgrade? The only requirements I see on the app page is Android 3.1 or higher???

Thanks in advance.

motopreserve

Post by motopreserve »

I just got an HP 7 running Android 4.1.2. I am completely new to these devices (Mac all around until now). For some reason it says that the app is not compatible with my device. Is there something I need to upgrade? The only requirements I see on the app page is Android 3.1 or higher???

Thanks in advance.

odem

Post by odem »

I have been using the bluetooth module form HK and the range is really limited (2.4ghz radio as well), getting about 10 meters before the connection is lost.

Any experiences using a long range link? Thinking about getting a tablet with USB interface and the 3DRadio unit from 3D Robotics or similar clone. No idea if this is possible.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

odem wrote:Any experiences using a long range link? Thinking about getting a tablet with USB interface and the 3DRadio unit from 3D Robotics or similar clone. No idea if this is possible.

I got a HK openLRS set for Christmas for my wife and have been experimenting with it. So far I'm really impressed - the main reason it took me as long as it did to setup wireless telemetry through it was I was over thinking it. In the end all I had to do was hook the RX/TX lines I was using for my BT module to the openLRS RX module instead - then on the openLRS TX module I just hooked the BT module up to the RX/TX and GND/3.3v lines. Boom it "just works" with stock settings. It is a little slower to respond since the "Data rate" of the RF link is only 19200. What had confused me was I was trying to lower the baud rate between the various modules to match - but it turned out leaving them all at 115200 and leaving the data rate at 19200 seems to work just fine.

The only hiccup I've had so far was an eeprom clear but I'm not even sure it happened using the BT link. I think it happened the night before when I was setting up a voltage divider for battery monitoring - I think something went awry while setting the VBATSCALE as I've had my eeprom clear like that when using the stock GUI before a few times.

I've only had a handful of test flights with it so far and they've all been very short range. So it's not proven yet - but so far I'm really happy with how it's working for me.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I do seem to be having one issue with EZ-GUI though.

I just hooked up a voltage divider for battery monitoring two nights ago and it seems to reading correctly in the java GUI. But in EZ-GUI I always see the max battery value and it never goes down while I'm flying. If I go into the "Misc" page all the values on there are zero even though they do show values in the java GUI. Since VBATSCALE is one of the things on that page I'm wondering if the two issues may be related?

I'm currently running the beta version (3.7.123) of EZ-GUI if that helps.

odem

Post by odem »

jhitesma wrote:I got a HK openLRS set for Christmas for my wife

Your wife is the best ;)

jhitesma wrote:Boom it "just works" with stock settings.

The default mode is "Passthru" which is what you are after.
https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng/wiki/Telemetry-guide

Never even tried this as I read in the OpenLRSNG forum that at the data rate was not fast enough to support all of the data. Although the wiki page suggests you are right.

Approximate speed that data can be passed thru can be caluculated from refresh rate as it is possible to pass 8 bytes of data in each telemetry packet from RX to TX, TX->RX rate is half of that since every other packet is used by servo values.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out and report back (might take a while). If it works I will grab a new tablet to use with the EZ-GUI

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

odem wrote:Your wife is the best ;)

Yeah I plan on keeping her :D

The default mode is "Passthru" which is what you are after.
https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng/wiki/Telemetry-guide

Yeah, that took me a bit to figure out. I knew I wanted passthru but it didn't register in my mind that "yes" for telemetry meant passthrou mode.

Never even tried this as I read in the OpenLRSNG forum that at the data rate was not fast enough to support all of the data. Although the wiki page suggests you are right.

Approximate speed that data can be passed thru can be caluculated from refresh rate as it is possible to pass 8 bytes of data in each telemetry packet from RX to TX, TX->RX rate is half of that since every other packet is used by servo values.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out and report back (might take a while). If it works I will grab a new tablet to use with the EZ-GUI

Well, I'm now going to have to say be careful with it. I knew about the lower data rate and was concerned it could cause some issues - but until now it seemed like it was just the slightly slow response on some things. But...

I've had a couple of odd things happen since I started testing this and I'm starting to suspect it was the telemetry link at fault. First an unexpected eeprom clear that left me unable to toggle my modes and flying on stock PID's. Then just now I decided to try flying with logging turned on in EZ-GUI...ran into a few issues where my RX and FC didn't seem to be talking anymore - tried to check my openLRSng settings but apparently they released new firmware and the config program will only talk to the latest firmware so I had to update TX/RX and reconfigure them....then it passed all my bench tests so I took it back out for to try logging again....

Got up in the air and seemed nice and stable. Flew across my neighbors yard, turned around to come back, and all of a sudden it just started shaking like crazy and fell from the sky. Broke the front boom and a center boom on my frame (It's a simple wood H frame based off the Flite Test Knuckles design so easy to repair) but with two unexpected events after quite a bit of uneventful flying I'm starting to suspect the telemetry link. Of course I didn't do a lot of flying with just the openLRS before enabling telemetry so there could be an issue there...but I never heard a beep from my TX indicating a loss of link and there was that mysterious eeprom clear.

Going to tear it down, wipe the eeprom, reconfigure everything put it back together a bit cleaner and give it another go later this weekend. Not totally ready to blame the slow telemetry data rate but I'm definitely suspect of it at this point. And still not sure why battery voltage isn't showing correctly in EZ-GUI...

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Rebuilt my frame today, wiped eeprom and reloaded all my settings - only had time to fly one pack through it but went smooth today despite a bent motor shaft. Except once again I tried logging with EZ-GUI and when I viewed the log at the end of the flight it appears to have stopped logging before I even took off :( Really suspecting my BT module for that though - it took some abuse in crashes when I had it on the airframe and has been intermittent since. Plan on replacing it very soon.

EZ-GUI is definitely less responsive running this way than with the BT module directly attached to my FC...but I'm more interested in a slower but stable longer distance link than a faster but short range link right now.

Jimbo385

EZ-GUI Q&A

Post by Jimbo385 »

I know that I posted this elsewhere! Way too many forums, that's my problem!

Here are a couple of questions.

Would it be possible to display a message or voice to state that calibration of Acc or Mag us completed?

During calibration surely the board can tell if it has bee rotated 360 degrees ok Roll, Pitch and Yaw axis so could a message or voice be activated once done instead if waiting for 60 seconds? Also if 360 degrees has not been reached in any axis a failure message be broadcast?

Sometimes when writing changes to PIDs to the EEPROM, a message is displayed stating that not all parameters have been stored (something like that!). Could the app be enhanced to state what has
Not been written?

When writing to the EEPROM are all settings written or just those that have been changed?

I think that's it!

Cheers

ezio

Post by ezio »

Jimbo385 wrote:I know that I posted this elsewhere! Way too many forums, that's my problem!

Here are a couple of questions.

Would it be possible to display a message or voice to state that calibration of Acc or Mag us completed?

During calibration surely the board can tell if it has bee rotated 360 degrees ok Roll, Pitch and Yaw axis so could a message or voice be activated once done instead if waiting for 60 seconds? Also if 360 degrees has not been reached in any axis a failure message be broadcast?

Sometimes when writing changes to PIDs to the EEPROM, a message is displayed stating that not all parameters have been stored (something like that!). Could the app be enhanced to state what has
Not been written?

When writing to the EEPROM are all settings written or just those that have been changed?

I think that's it!

Cheers

1)I added simple countdown for a calibration. I think it is enough.

2)what exactly the message says?
3)always all parameters are sent and stored.

Bart