use of ext. 6050 in case of faulty gyro on HK MultiWii?

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
Timon Lee

use of ext. 6050 in case of faulty gyro on HK MultiWii?

Post by Timon Lee »

Hey guys,

after unsuccesfully searching for informations that could enlighten the darkness surrounding me, i decided to post my problem here, maybe there is someone who can help..
I use a HK MultiWii Pro on my tricopter, finally had the GPS dialed in and bluetooth working - I was very satisfied. Then, from on day to another, the yaw-axis of the onboard gyro stopped working. Flying this thing now is very hard as you can imagine.

Since I hate throwing things away that only partially don't work, I was wondering if it is possible to use an BOB with the MPU 6050 from Drotek together with the MultiWii-Pro Board. I assume its "only" a question of the correct values at the correct places in the MultiWii-code. The MWProboard has pinouts for I2C - even one with 3.3V - wich is perfect for the BOB that should work without pullupresistor or LLC's.

Now I don't now how to go further -
1. I used the FFIMU V2 in the sensor definitions, is it required to define all sensors separately now?
2. I assume when using the 6050 gyro I might also deactivate the onboard BMA180 since the 6050 carries an own ACC?
3. Next i will try connecting the 6050 to the 3.3V I2C Pins of the MW-Pro board, running an I2C scanner should bring up all connected devices, right?

Any help is greatly appreciated, anyhow, i will post again if progressing further. Perhaps deactivating onboard sensors in order to use external ones is also interresting for people who are not satisfied with their onboard sensors performance ( magnetometer to close to powerdistri f.e.)

Thx in advance, Timon Lee.

doppler

Re: use of ext. 6050 in case of faulty gyro on HK MultiWii?

Post by doppler »

First thing would be to make sure you don't have a conflict for addressing of the I2C bus; here's a handly little arduino sketch for scanning ID's

Code: Select all

// --------------------------------------
// i2c_scanner
//
// This program (or code that looks like it)
// can be found in many places.
// For example on the Arduino.cc forum.
// The original author is not know.
//
// This sketch tests the standard 7-bit addresses
// from 0 to 127. Devices with higher bit address
// might not be seen properly.
//
// Adapted to be as simple as possible by Arduino.cc user Krodal
//
// June 2012
// Using Arduino 1.0.1
//

#include <Wire.h>

void setup()
{
  Wire.begin();

Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("\nI2C Scanner");
}

void loop()
{
  byte error, address;
  int nDevices;

Serial.println("Scanning...");

nDevices = 0;
  for(address = 0; address <= 127; address++ )
  {
    // The i2c_scanner uses the return value of
    // the Write.endTransmisstion to see if
    // a device did acknowledge to the address.
    Wire.beginTransmission(address);
    error = Wire.endTransmission();

if (error == 0)
    {
      Serial.print("I2C device found at address 0x");
      if (address<16)
        Serial.print("0");
      Serial.print(address,HEX);
      Serial.println(" !");

nDevices++;
    }
    else if (error==4)
    {
      Serial.print("Unknow error at address 0x");
      if (address<16)
        Serial.print("0");
      Serial.println(address,HEX);
    }   
  }
  if (nDevices == 0)
    Serial.println("No I2C devices found\n");
  else
    Serial.println("done\n");

delay(8000);           // wait 8 seconds for next scan
}

After you're clear on that, yes enable 6050 and disable your other gyro and acc defines. You'll probably also have to redo the orientation of the sensors, this is fun, especially the Z, but can be done with patience and multiple tries using the gui to make sure things move properly. There is a link on the multiwii wiki that tells you how to do this, I don't recall it off hand however.

Andrew