How to set flight modes?

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
xoxota

How to set flight modes?

Post by xoxota »

I read a lot about so-called "Flight Modes" (example: http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=Flightmodes ). But nowhere does the wiki (or the forums, from what I can tell) explain how / where to change this "mode"? Is this done via multiwii_conf? in config.h ? Via AUX channel(s)? How do I use these modes?

bill516

Re: How to set flight modes?

Post by bill516 »

They are activated by aux channel selection. You can assign them all to one channel if you want and have the sensors that they refer to or you can assign them individually if you have the channels available. To make them active assign them to lo, mid, or high in the GUI and write the settings to the board i.e. Acc on Aux 1 high, to have the sensor on all the time select all three boxes of the channel you select an example might be, mag on all the time, all three boxes assigned to aux 2 with the aux 2 switch assigned to that channel in you Tx. For separate lo mid high you need a three position switch or a programmable Tx where you can programme two switches to act as a three position.

JoVo

Post by JoVo »

same here, what is the "best" AUX configuration for flightmodes: ANGLE, HORIZON, GPS, BARO, MAG?
means, if I use GPS I have to use BARO and MAG too?
@bill516 can you take a screenshoot from your AUX Settings?

dale.e

Post by dale.e »

I have been a little curious about this as well, I have only managed to get autolevel to work so far.

if I want 'loiter' do I just have everything but RTH on?
or to 'loiter' if I leave everything off and turn on position hold does it activate what is needed automatically?

I imagine I would have to turn off PH before RTH would work, are there any other conflicts to avoid?

oxnard28

Post by oxnard28 »

I'd like to do auto-level. I can enable angle, horizon, baro and Mag. I've seen a few talk about ACC, what is that?
Would GPS enabled help with auto-level, or would I just use that for loiter?
what I assume is: angle, Horizon, and baro would enable loiter (and mag would help with head-hold).
Can anyone describe what each parameter does? Would angle just enable auto-level?
I know that Baro would enable altitude hold, mag would hold head-lock, what is Horizon?

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hey,
ACC is your accrelometer, for example the BMA180 sensor. You will need an installed and working ACC for all modes with autoleveling feature.
GPS is for "position hold", "return to home", or other navigating features. It will not level your copter without ACC active.
Baro is your barometer, used for maintaining altitude if active.
Mag is your compass, used for Headinghold AND GPS features. Mag needs calibration and setting in config.h depending to the country you are flying at.
If you want more infos about flying modes, click them in the wikilink from first post. It should be described there.

hope that helps a bit.
greetz Noc

linuxslate

Post by linuxslate »

Still trying to understand this.

I am trying to get GPS HOLD and GPS HOME working. I have GPS HOLD associated with AUX 1, and GPS HOME with AUX 2.

So for GPS HOME, I checked (turned on) the following in the AUX 2 HIGH column:

BARO
MAG
HEAD ADJ
GPS HOME

Is it correct to check these multiple boxes, or does GPS HOME imply the other necessary boxes? Why wouldn't it?

With it set as above, it did on at least one occasion turn, and head back to home, but it then started drifting, got too close to some trees, and I took over again.

At no point did it really return to the last arm position, turn tail to me, and hover as I understand it should.

I think my Quad needs some obedience classes.

Yes, I've read the Wiki, and the GPS HOLD and RTH PDF file.

My setup:
Fairly conventional quad X. Still working on tuning, but basic flying is now pretty stable.
All In one V1 (so it has baro, mag, etc.)
UBLOX GPS 115200 on serial 2. I have never changed any firmware settings on the GPS. My understanding is that MW 2.2 does this for me. Although from looking at the code, it looks like it sets it to 5Hz update.

I have a good GPS lock usually 7-8 satellites, good coordinates.

Correct MAG Dev entered for my location. Battery Leads re-positioned, and Throttle does not seem to affect the compass much, if at all. Did MAG CAL

NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING true
NAV_TAIL_FIRST false
NAV_SET_TAKEOFF_HEADING true
(These are defaults)

GPS_LEAD_FILTER is currently commented out, but I intend to try turning it back on.

scrat

Post by scrat »

You don't need HEAD ADJ for GPS HOME. Just GPS HOME, MAG, ACC, BARO.

linuxslate

Post by linuxslate »

Thank you for the info, scrat. I'll try it next time I can fly.

Unfortunately, last evening while trying RTH, I had a pretty bad crash. It was a bit windy, and again when I selected RTH, it turned toward home, and started toward me, but then it seemed to just let the wind take it.

I turned off the AUX for RTH to take control back, and about 2 seconds later, it suddenly pitched 90 deg. vertically, and crashed.

It was similar to what Plüschi described in another thread.

Broke 2 props, and damaged an arm. When I repaired it, my instability and surging motors is back, so it is un-flyable.

Not sure if the sudden instability is a result of the crash, or the cause of the crash. The new props are balanced, and everything looks straight so I am not sure how the crash could have caused my new problems, but how I am back to troubleshooting basic flight stability.

It's possible I bent a motor shaft such that it is not obvious, but enough to cause a vibration.

Trying RTH is now on hold until I can get it repaired and stable again.

scrat

Post by scrat »

You must set PID a little bit higher for wind. Did you have stable GPS lock?

Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I know I should've made my own topic about this, but I'm fairly new so, apologies.
I was wondering If it's possible to add custom flight modes?! I have a really fast drone, but I also want to fly it indoors, so I need to make a new flight mode with a rather limited speed [so that it won't behead anyone :lol: ] Is it possible to code a new flight mode? If yes then how? which config file should I look into? btw I'm using Arduino

LutzB

Post by LutzB »

This should be possible, but I think it is easier to limit the channels in your tx. Maybe setup a flightmode with limited rates there?