ESC burned 2 times

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
lucaszanella

ESC burned 2 times

Post by lucaszanella »

This is my quad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cscCCo2qzk
Th fligth is unstable.

One time I plugged the battery and imediately burned 1 of the 4 ESCs for no reason.

Today I was flying and then turned off the motors. When I tried to turn on again no one was truning on. After so many tries, the motors turned on, but 1 ESC burned again

Don't know what's happening. Can't be a problem with the motors because the ESCs burned always with the motors OFF. Not while flying.

:( please somebody help me!

Pyrofer

Re: ESC burned 2 times

Post by Pyrofer »

Esc is still doing stuff to the motors even when not spinning them. You will feel increased resistance on turning them when powered.
Are you connecting all your +ve wires together? I've heard this is a bad idea. Also extending battery wires on the esc too long is said to cause problems.
Are the escs rated for the right voltage lipo you are using?

You will have to provide more details on what you have and how you wired it to get any real idea.

lucaszanella

Post by lucaszanella »

I'm using 18-20A Hobby King ESCs with turnigy motors that have a max current of around 7~14A.
And the battery is a turnigy li-po 3S 20C 3000mAh but I also have a 5000mAh.

I'm using this adaptor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Board.html

All the ESCs are equally connected to this adaptor, and the battery goes connected to it directly.
The problem always happens when the motors are activated. Don't know why :/

I'm afraid of buying more ESCs and getting them burned

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

Are you using bullet connectors or soldered wires?

I have heard many horror stories about bullets. Poorly connected motors can burn an esc out.

Remove any connectors and solder your wires, heat shrink well.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

20a amp esc's on a 20c battery seems low to me, i run a 45c battery. not enough current to your esc is just as dangerous as too much.
can someone else verify that i am right on this?

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Yes thats right ! Under amperage = bad resistance !!

lucaszanella

Post by lucaszanella »

Gonna solder the next ESC directly. But the quality of the connectors are good.

Didn't know this about hte battery. Maybe the 5000mAh can reduce the risks?
But the ESCs are not working at maxximum power, and they didn't burn while hard working, just at the motors activation, :/

Weird

lucaszanella

Post by lucaszanella »

One more thing: when I turn on the quadcopter (when everything was working), the 4 ESCs were activated and did some beeps. There was one of them that beeped differently from the others. When 3 finished beeping this one beeped one more time. Don't know if was the burned ESC. Can a uncalibrated ESC burn?
Detail: I discarted this possibility because my first 4 ESCs had the same calibration (don't know wich calibration but they came from the same place at same time and did the same beep) and one of them burned. After this I changed the ESC and then I heard a different beep, but everything worked at the first fligth, and only burned after the second fligth, while I was trying to re-activate the motors.

Other thing: when the props accidentally touched the ground them stopped, that's why I had to re-activate the motors, but this time they didn't re-activate.
Some times I even had problems with a single motor that didn't want to activate, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEEhNKRgkdU but after some tries it worked

bill516

Post by bill516 »

I would go over that power board with a magnifying glass, everything you have said points towards an iffy connection somewhere. If its not the board then its probably one of your joints, they may look OK but under a magnifying glass you can usually see a crack around the joint. If you have bullet connectors you can bend the springy slots outward a little bit to help make a firm contact with the other portion of the bullet. An iffy joint could also account for wobbling and erratic flights that you have posted.