avrdudue: stk500_getsync() ----- connection error

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
divingdingo

avrdudue: stk500_getsync() ----- connection error

Post by divingdingo »

The smiles of last nights 2 steps forward were quickly overshadowed by today's '3 steps back'

for some reason when i decided to continue my project today whenever i tried to connect the multiwii crius se to the computer (in particular arduina) i get the following error:

avrdudue: stk500_getsync()

i've searched all day online, it amounts to a problem with board connecting with computer. i haven't changed any details from last night when they were connecting perfectly. but have double checked the correct board and correct serial port is selected.

whenever i plug in the FTDI and usb between the two i have a blue led flashing light and the ESC's beep in sync, although this slowly becomes more out of sync.

i've scoured the internet can't find a solution and have tried; restarting computer, charging lipo's thinking maybe not enough power was there even though it seems the board is powered by the usb, changing usb leads.

unsure what this means, what have i missed?

it seems many have had similar problems, in fact i see on this forum a similar but not the same problem, the solution was to insert the usb 5 secs after you press the upload script button. (i've tried that, it didn't work either!)

will i ever get to test fly the quad?! lol

please help... my girlfriend is going spare with me going spare!!

mark

bill516

Re: avrdudue: stk500_getsync() ----- connection error

Post by bill516 »

I used to get that problem and found that as soon as the binary compile message came up on the screen I would hit the reset button, that would usually allow the sketch to upload unless I was too slow to press the button. I dont have to do that now as I found a fault on the header of my FTDI, but only after I tried calibrating my mag and it sort of ripped the header off the FTDI board. A quick solder of the connections and a tie wrap to stop the header pulling away from the board and I can upload to my hearts content without having to press the reset button.

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

thanks bill.

where's the reset button? this is something i've read yesterday but couldn't find it... is it on the crius multi wii board? (if it is it must be disguised!) or is it on the arduio program?

i have a feeling it must be something to do with the FTDI input... how would i go about identifying it do you know?

thanks.
mark

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

A lot of the all in one boards like mine and crius DON'T have a reset button.

You can attach one to the reset pin on the programming header and ground.

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Ah didnt realise not all boards have reset button, that would make it difficult to find one and press it. In fact you dont really need a button a piece of wire will do to make a momentary switch, just connect the a wire from the reset to ground and that will reset the board.

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

cheers guys... i found the pins and did the reset and timed it for the sketch compiling... but unfortunately i'm still getting the same error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: rep0x00

????

oh well, i've ordered a new FDTI usb connector so crossing my fingers it's that.

how fragile are these boards/components? is it likely that i've damaged it somehow by connecting wrong pins??

i will post if i find a solution.

mark

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

I've seen arduino errors like that, that aer fixable by resetting the board, but it has to be done in a specific timely matter.

i had a rogue sketch running on my arduino that was using up too much memory or cpu and it wouldnt let me upload a new sketch unless i hit reset right after telling it to upload, I was told that resetting this way allowed the upload to start RIGHT before the rogue sketch started working allowing the new sketch to upload.

I hope this is your issue.

bill516

Post by bill516 »

You could try using the clear eeprom sketch in the examples to wipe all the data off the board you will then have clean board to upload to. Dont worry about it saying clear eeprom it does not wipe the bootloader then try the blink program, I have never had a problem upload that sketch, again its in the examples. If that uploads ok at least you know your FTDI and board are talking to each other. I have read of people killing boards by not connecting the FTDI properly but I have mis-connected mine on a few occasions and it all still works, I even have a clone pro mini that has to be connected up side down to what you normally would do it I didnt kill that one either when I did it the wrong way.

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

My FTDI board has rx/tx lights.

Shortly after changing to "uploading" I see the TX light flash. If I press the reset button exactly then, it uploads perfectly everytime.

I have to catch it at exactly the right time, just after the first flash.

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

cheers guys. but once again my efforts fail me. i've actually been trying to time the reset switch i've fashioned all night with various people's suggestions and to no avail.

finally tried the eeprom clear but nada. still getting the same error reading.

i'm now waiting on every swing of my laterbox to see when the next FTDI board comes!! hoping that will solve the problem.

bill516

Post by bill516 »

You could always try a re-solder of the joints on the header of your FTDI, you've got nothing to lose.