Low Power on MicroQuad

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
davidjac

Low Power on MicroQuad

Post by davidjac »

This is our third quad (1 cc based 600mm, 1 multiwii based 400 and this Micro) So we have some experience in building. Our problem is that we are experiencing low power on the MicroQuad (new build). We can't get it more that a couple feet off the ground at full throttle. The specs on the build are below and a couple of images. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Specs.

GoodLuckBuy CF Micro frame (about 8-9 inches - motor to motor)
goodluckbuy crius multiwii board (SE version)
Version 2.0
HK power dist board
RCtimer 10Amp ESCs (programmed to "middle")
Suppo A1510 motors
3S 1000mw batteries
HK orange RX
Spektrum DX6i
Gemfan 5x3 props

A little heavy for a Micro at 420 grams with battery, but it still should do better than a couple feet at full T..
Attachments
_DSC0038.JPG

Arf

Re: Low Power on MicroQuad

Post by Arf »

Check the GUI, make sure you are getting 100% throttle, check the battery make sure it's giving around 12 volts.

420gms is way too heavy for that size quad.

I built a similar sized one recently and it came in at well under 300gms.

The Gemfan 5.x 3 will be probably be only don't about 100gm thrust each at half throttle on 3S, so it wont even be off the ground at that point, let alone hovering.

davidjac

Post by davidjac »

Thanks for your input... I could remove the powr dist board which might save a bit... or put bigger motors on it.... any thought there.... or would bigger motors and props be a design problem on a micro frame..

thanks

David

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

Did u ever get this one figured out? I'm having the same problem now, and I know it has to be board related. All I did was switch out my old KK in a quad that was working great for the multiwii and with the multiwii I have much less power. I'm wondering if it's my mounting somehow messing up the gyros and acc, but not sure. No power in level or in normal mode. Any advice other than abandon all hope?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Did you calibrated ESC's?

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

Sure did. Manually, 1 by 1, directly through the RX. All the levels are showing correctly through the GUI. Seems the same as everyone else complaining about it. Found another thread where some folks mentioned more than one person with this prob on 2.2 I believe it was. I was away all weekend, so need to follow up tomorrow. I'll make sure I'm on 2.3 (If I am I'll try 2.1) and go from there.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

davidjac wrote:A little heavy for a Micro at 420 grams with battery

Have you checked at http://www.ecalc.ch ?

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

Man, I moved up to 2.3 and same problem. Anyone have any other thoughts?

waltr

Post by waltr »

Decrease the AUW to under 300gram.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Ddpemberton wrote:Man, I moved up to 2.3 and same problem. Anyone have any other thoughts?

You can not trick physical laws. It appears that your copter is just to heavy. A firmware update will not help in this case. Have you already checked at http://www.ecalc.ch whether the basic configuration (weight, motors, propellers) is right?

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

That the other guy with te heavy quad. My problem is that I actually feel a decrease in power when I put a multiiwii board on a normally functioning quad. Have te same effect with my tested 450 class and with my new micro. I bought my micro bc 3 friends bought the same components with great results. Xhover 230 frame with matching motors and escs, and the have had great results. Same exact build, but mine has less power

shaun2029

Post by shaun2029 »

Try changing max throttle setting in the config.h file

/**************************** Motor maxthrottle *******************************/
/* this is the maximum value for the ESCs at full power, this value can be increased up to 2000 */
#define MAXTHROTTLE 1850 //1850 default for multicopters

The higher you set it (2000 max) the more power you will get.

Note: It may have the side effect of less stability at higher throttle values but I am not sure this is the case.

westwind

Post by westwind »

Anyone have a fix for this add I have the same issue motors have loads of power when connected direct to RX, but I lose about 40 percent on the multiwii board