Rocket

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
refractions

Rocket

Post by refractions »

Hi all,

Well, my first full test flight today :) Got quad hovering ok on the following PID settings.

Roll P4.0 I0.022 D21
Pitch P4.0 I0.023 D21
Yaw P6.0 I0 D0
Alt P8.0 I0 D12
Vel P4.2 I0 D14
Level P9.0 I0.045 D0

RC Rate 0.99
RC Expo 0.65

Just as everything was going great - the battery ran out of charge :(

I sat and charged and balanced the battery and ventured back out.

This time quad seemed very responsive, but managed to get it to hover again - then....

Gust of wind hit me, i pushed throttle and then quad shot off. I managed to cut the throttle in my panic and then promptly found out that the legs of my quad have very, very sharp edges as i managed to catch my quad before it dived into the ground.

Now sitting here with my right hand covered in a bandage and plasters :(

I wasnt going to be beaten, so I went back out - tethered the quad to the ground and tried again.

This time the quad is very responsive, so responsive infact that I am finding it very hard to control never mind hover.

Is it possible to make it slower to respond? I am new to RC flying, so all I can think is that the battery has never been fully charged while I have been learning.

Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Iain

tovrin

Re: Rocket

Post by tovrin »

in the GUI, adjust your RC expo down. in another thread they suggested dropping it to .30-.50, but i found that .50-.60 worked better for me, as i do have some very limited copter flying experience.

this will adjust the response curve, making it easier to make slight path adjustments without having your copter nose dive everytime you move the controls too much.

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

Also, Don't fly in wind!!!

Find a large sports hall or similar that will let you fly inside to learn. It's very helpful when you start.

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Reduce r/c rate to about .6 it will make it less sensitive.

refractions

Post by refractions »

Hi,

Many thanks for all the help. I will try this today and see what happens - going to wear gloves as well :) Going to smooth off the edges of the legs first I think :)

Iain

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

There was a thread on the RC Forums about Quad/prop related injury, you got off lucky...
Saying that, sorry to hear you got injured at all!
Have you thought about larger foam blocks for the bottom?

I've not tried to catch my quad but rather let it crash and damage the quad instead of myself...

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

i reached for mine the other day as it tilted and started to run amok, i caught it without injury, but immediately thought how stupid i was, i still have a small scar on my shoulder from when a blade caught me once.

refractions

Post by refractions »

I now have a pair of gloves I wear - just in case :) Looking at the wound on my hand - going to have nice scar :( Will tell friends I got it in some heroic way :)