Help needed

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
Didimon

Re: Help needed

Post by Didimon »

Hi,

Next few days I will try to improve the vibration issue, now the warthox board is mounted on the frame with 2 screws with foam in between but via the 2 screws it is in direct contact with the frame ofcourse which will be of influence.

I'll try several things, first of all with the warthox board de-attached and hold seperately stable from the frame, after that I'll try several ways to mount it to avoid vibrations.

Keep you posted.

Once more and than I will let it rest: I can't express myself in gratitude feeling towards all of you who are willing to help me out here.... It might become a long topic with a lot of stupidity from my side but if the result is a flying MultiWii quadcopter, I will be very happy!!

Regards:

Daan

bill516

Post by bill516 »

No problem if we cant help each other then we may as well pack it in altogether and go live in caves again.

BTW the only stupid person is the one who doesnt ask when they dont know.

mr.rc-cam

Post by mr.rc-cam »

now the warthox board is mounted on the frame with 2 screws with foam in between but via the 2 screws it is in direct contact with the frame of course which will be of influence.

Eliminate the screws. The sensors need good isolation from the frame to damp the motor/prop vibrations. As mentioned, self adhesive servo mounting tape or similar adhesive-backed foam tape is fine (1-2 layers depending on the foam thickness).

FWIW, I use silicone gel pads that I found in the shoe department at a local store; they are about 1cm square x 3mm thick and feel like fresh baked gummy bears. Some high performance R/C gyros use a similar silicone mounting material, but my shoe stuff was 1/4 the cost. Of course adhesive-backed foam tape is fine too.

Didimon

Post by Didimon »

Hi,

tested this morning with several pieces of foam and thanks to the idea mr.rc-cam I found some silicons in the house..... not sure how my wife will react when she finds out but who cares :lol: :mrgreen:

I managed to get a very stable indication of all 4 engines but the next problem is that is should be mounted on the frame so I'm thinking now how to fix that because as soon as the warthox board is on the frame (with foam and silicons in between), again some vibration shows in oscillation.

Anyhow, I know it's possible and now that I have seen it work, I won't rest again till fixed..... as soon as I managed, I'll let you know (and show it).

Didimon

Post by Didimon »

Hi,

Member Wilco1967 contacted me via a PM and I spoke to him for more than one hour on the telephone this evening.

With his help I now understand a lot of things which were abracadabra for me until before the telephone call. With all the new information gathered I continued the proces tonight and will be continuiing the next couple of days.

I should be able to fly (hover) the QuadX MultiWii copter as soon as I'm finished with mounting things together. All settings have been tested and also the software is beginning to make sense.....

Keep you posted on my progress and I'm sure I can use some help more so thank you all for your time an patience.

Regards:

Daan

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Glad to hear your moving forward. Its quite satisfying when some thing that confuses you starts to make sense. Its even nicer when poeple you are trying to help let you know how they are getting on.

Didimon

Post by Didimon »

Yeah!!

Didn't sleep much last night, but I managed to get the thing flying (for the first time). Simply and carefully hovering....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwFlzb9508

I will continue to finetune ofcourse.

Next step is the Nunchuck.... no clue how this works and didn't test it (yet) but very happy I got so far....

Can anybody tell me how to use the nunchuck? I can activate it with the gear switch on my transmitter and shows in the GUI but what is it that has to be done exactly?

Regards:

Daan

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Well considering what you wrote in first post I thnk we can say we have got a problem out of the way. You will find if you get outdoors or a more open space that it will respond differently, less dirty air, and if you get out of the ground effect it will become more stable. Though I have said to a few people you need to be able to manage ground effect as you've got to go through it when you come back down, unless you do it the quick way but that tends to break things.

Re the nuchuck you need to calibrate it then set your trim using the GUI and the sticks to trim, shown on the pdf I linked to, and set the motor rpms to be the same then its case of up and down and trim and up again untill you get the quad to hover in acc mode. Its just the same as trimming the TX trims but you use the sticks and listen to beeps, if you have a beeper, just watch the led if you havn't. There are some vids on u tube of acc trimming they give a good idea of what to do and what you should see. If you've got it right then when you flick from gyro to acc the quad should not do anything, it should stay where it is.

Didimon

Post by Didimon »

Hi,

Took it outside today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1wE7OWtCo

Amazing stuff..... really great to fly.

Very happy now for the moment, finetuning and pimping the quad is the next step 8-)

Keep up posted, thanks!

Didimon

Post by Didimon »

Hi all,

I'm most happy with my MultiWii quadcopter, had to wait for a delivery of propellors which arrived today and immediately I flew again with great pleasure. Meanwhile learning a lot of stuff regarding this material.

For now it's ok and I'll practise as much as I can. I consider my quadcopter as a practise device now and as soon as time is available again (season is starting at my company) I'll build another one with all the available features.

Many thanks for all the help so far.....

Best regards:

Daan