Crius SE board does not register outputs or D8/D12 inputs

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
noobee

Re: Crius SE board does not register outputs or D8/D12 input

Post by noobee »

yes, i think you can switch to arduino 1.0 ide.

there *might* be an orientation issue for the crius se board in the very very latest version of the dev release. i believe Alex updated sensor orientation in the core code and it's unclear if all the various board types, including the crius se, have been updated accordingly. i'll give it a shot when i can get at my copter..

yamax87

Post by yamax87 »

Ok, so I'm now using arduino 1.0 and tried to upload the multiwii_dev_20120225 code.

No joy.

Once again, I got this message when I attempted to upload the code:

MultiWii_dev_20120225.cpp: In function 'void i2c_init()':
Sensors:121: error: 'I2C_PULLUPS_ENABLE' was not declared in this scope

The message apparently relates to this command line under the 'sensors' section of the code:

TWSR = 0

Apparently I need to define the pullups.

The board has been defined as a crius SE in the 'config.h' section, but as a layman in this field, I am not sure how to define the pullups.

Any ideas? :)

noobee

Post by noobee »

hmmm. ok, that version should compile properly, i just tried it on my machine.

in any case, there is a new pre-release version. try this:
1. download http://multiwii.googlecode.com/files/Mu ... rsion1.zip
2. unpack a pristine copy to a new directory.
3. start arduino 1.0 ide and open MultiWii_2_0_preversion1.ino
4. click on the config.h tab
5. find the following line and uncomment the definition:
from
//#define CRIUS_SE // Crius MultiWii SE
to
#define CRIUS_SE // Crius MultiWii SE
6. click on the "verify" icon to compile (btw i've tried compiling the unmodified sources, which also work).

does it compile?

yamax87

Post by yamax87 »

Hi noobee, sorry for the delay in replying-basically I've been busy on coursework :( I'm going through your steps now-watch this space :)

yamax87

Post by yamax87 »

It compiles...but when I try to upload to the board, I get this message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Tearing my hair out here...but at the same time, your persistence in helping me gives me reason for patience :)

yamax87

Post by yamax87 »

OK just hooked up the board to the GUI. I am assuming the old code is still on the board, because I get the following message on the graph:

"GUI vs Arduino: Version or Buffer size mismatch"

Help!

noobee

Post by noobee »

yamax87 wrote:It compiles...but when I try to upload to the board, I get this message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Tearing my hair out here...but at the same time, your persistence in helping me gives me reason for patience :)

in arduino 1.0 ide,
- under tools/board/... make sure you select arduino pro/promini 5v 16mhz atmega328.
- also check that you selected the right com port.

you need to match the firmware version with the gui version.

yamax87

Post by yamax87 »

in arduino 1.0 ide,
- under tools/board/... make sure you select arduino pro/promini 5v 16mhz atmega328.
- also check that you selected the right com port.

you need to match the firmware version with the gui version.

The board and the com port (com7 in my case) are both selected as you mentioned.

However, I previously used the 'Arduino Deumilanove' tab instead. About 1 in 10 times, this would permit a successful compilation.

The board will not compile at all on promini 5v 16mhz atmega328 as far as I can see.

The arduino version is 1.0.

What else could be wrong?

On a side note, I noticed that my board isn't dead-centre, but shifted to the left of the frame's cg to make way for a small rx. Should it be directly in the centre?

Thanks for all the help so far!

The multiwii version is 2_0.

What el

noobee

Post by noobee »

the fact that you are not getting consistent behaviour of your ide is quite a problem.

you don't need the board to be located at the frame geometric center or center of gravity.

perhaps the best approach now is to find a working setup local to you and compare notes.

yamax87

Post by yamax87 »

Thanks for the tip. Easier said than done where I live, but I'll give it a go...

I've also found that while the pitch axis was pretty easy to tune (worked well on default 4.0 P, 0.030 I and 15 D tuning), the roll and yaw axis are way off regardless of pid adjustment. No idea why, but even after I placed the board at the cg (before I read your last post) they are still far from flyable.

Sigh...

noobee

Post by noobee »

i really don't think you need to adjust the pid parameters from the stock values. your pc/mac setup needs to be correct first, that means a working ide, a reliable way to compile the sources, upload the firmware and connect the corresponding (precompiled) gui version. i suspect that there's something off about your setup at this time, and being able to compile 1 in 10 times is really unusual, as the compile process should really be deterministic.

i believe, once you sort out your setup issues, the copter would fly reasonably. most copters can fly with the stock pid parameters.

yamax87

Post by yamax87 »

Bumped this post again for anyone who's still having the same problem. Turns out if you click 'upload' or 'compile' (depending on your version of arduino), and then wait approx 6 seconds before plugging the USB adaptor in, the code will upload fine.

I am sure this makes perfect sense to some geek in an Area 51 basement who codes the next generation of AI for a living.

To me, however, the root cause remains a mystery.

I have since found the roll and yaw stability of my quad to be non-existent, regardless of PID tuning. The gyro readings on an undisturbed board with multiwii 2.0 code are perfectly flat on the multiwii GUI. Any ideas?

dustoff11

Post by dustoff11 »

if all of those having problems with the mwc board will just buy a cheap kk board version 5.5 you wont have any more problems easy thing i have ever done,i took my mwc board out of mine switched to kk board version 5.5 ended all the headaches i was having and my quad flies great and im new to quads.