mulitwii config 2.4 java problem easy fix (pictures)

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
marks

mulitwii config 2.4 java problem easy fix (pictures)

Post by marks »

HI guys,
been away from the forum for quite a while so , thought id better update quad and related software, as with all forums you loose track of whats happening when your not on it regularly.
Downloaded the software and updated quad config, all fine , but couldn't get the MulitWiiConf 2.4 to work, anyway after a lot of searching i found the solution on here thanks to dfruehwald Thanks for the info!

http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5685&p=57784&hilit=javaw#p57784

anyway its a bit vague for some one who's never done a path file even when googling it, so i've made a couple of pictures to show how its done on win7 64 bit.

first press the start button (windows logo bottom left).
then right click Computer and a widow will pop up, press Properties.

the Control Panel Home screen will open click on Advanced System Settings
System Properties will open and on the advanced tag press Environment Variables

the Environment Variables window opens in System variables click on path and then Edit
scroll across the Variable value to find the java link and replace it with the C:\Program Files (x86)|Java\jre1.8.0_40\bin (or whatever your path to the file is!)

hope this helps, please if you give advice in future ( which is gratefully received the way) can you explain it a little more, remember not everyone is upto the same standard as some of you on this forum, so we need as much help as possible!
It can get extremely frustrating when your first trying to do this, and you only get the solution and not how you get there.

PatrikE

Re: mulitwii config 2.4 java problem easy fix (pictures)

Post by PatrikE »

Great tips.
Could this be pinned at the top someway?

randuino

Post by randuino »

Hi to all,

Firstly thanks for the graphic solution, I've come across these forum because of the same Java error when trying to open MultiwiiConf GUI on my windows 7 64 bit, which on the other hand runs smoothly on my mac pro running Yosimite OS. I've studied and followed the instructions exactly, however, when i tried to open the MultiwiiConf, the error prompt disappears but nothing happens afterwards, it's like double clicking it and literellay nothing happens. I agree with the OP about giving detailed solution as much as possible for everyone to understand and follow.

Anybody here have the same case as i have? because it seems every forum i read about these problem stops or have been solved by these solution, which did not work on mine.

I hope somebody could help and give clear procedure. Thanks.

Pedro14755

Post by Pedro14755 »

@randuino - I also had some issues with this and this post and generally the whole thread on rcgroups may help It's a long shot but are your Arduino folder where the sketches are stored and your Multiwii folder both in the same directory
Attachments
MW and Ard in same directory.jpg

Pedro14755

Post by Pedro14755 »

@marks, firstly thanks for the graphic solution.

I am working on a similar tutorial for the whole setup of an Alienwll board from start to finish, and this is exactly what I was proposing to do for this Java path in EV issue that many of us have had, so well done. I would just like to add a little further information because I came across some potential, further minor complications in regard to this. When I first did my MW instal and I could not get MW.exe to start and show the GUI, I looked at the path in EV and found that there was a reference to an old Java installation on my machine that did not exist anymore. This is a problem because as pointed out by tedbyers excellent explanation of this here

Windoze will use the first Java executable that it comes across in the EV path so if, like me you have a redundant Java path at the beginning and a relevant one further into the path Windoze will not use the second location but use the first which will not work because there is nothing there at that location. When I had this issue recently this is how my Path in EV looked with the redundant Java location shown in red at the beginning.

"C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoo t%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared"

So I deleted the redundant Java location and changed the Java Path "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_45\bin" Also note that the individual path locations need to be separated by a semi colon

Posts #1374 expand on this issue as well.

As I pointed out to randuino above, you must ensure that your Arduino folder, where the sketches are stored and your Multiwii folder are both in the same directory. I know this because I had this very problem as explained in the Edit at the end of this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31873481&postcount=1325

I hope that this information may be of some assistance to someone at some stage and a big thanks to Benedikt Haak and all the guys at the
rcgroups Mini-HowTo - The interactive AlienWii manual :D

randuino

Post by randuino »

Thanks very much @Pedro14755, yes my arduino sketches are on the same directory as the multiwii.
I have already solved mine and i would like to share an additional information.

So my issue was, after i followed @marks instructions, still, the MultiwiiConf would not open, in fact nothing happens,
i should have mentioned that i was opening the MultiwiiConf from the application.windows64 directory,
however, when i tried to use the MultiwiiConf from the application.windows32 directory, it worked!

Pedro14755

Post by Pedro14755 »

@randuino - I am glad that you sorted your problem out. Yes strange as it seems you need to use the 32 bit MultiwiiConf even when you are using a 64 bit Windows OS. Go figure :)

flipupside

Post by flipupside »

having spent a deal of time trying to this so I can use my better laptop instead of my old win xp laptop I found how to do this as well. Pedro14755 found it as well, adding the java path to the path variable doesn't fix it on its own you must also delete the ProgramData path that has been added as the multiwiiconf will always look for it. Once I had deleted the ProgramData path and added the correct java path it works fine.

Pedro14755

Post by Pedro14755 »

Java update altering Java path in Environmental Variables
I don’t know how many of you have Java set up to advise you when there is an update available, but because of the security vulnerabilities that having an out of date Java install can pose, it is best to always be using the latest version. To check whether or not you have “Check for updates” enabled, you need to access the Java control panel by going to C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre1.8.0_60\bin (the red section will depend on what version of Java you have installed) and double clicking the javacpl.exe file which will open the Java control panel > Click update tab at the top and ensure that the “Check for updates” box is ticked. When an update becomes available you will be notified in the systray area down near the clock, bottom right hand corner of the desktop.

After you update Java you will find that the Path in environmental variables is now wrong and Multiwii GUI will not open. Here is my Path before updating from Java version 51 to version 60. I have just put each individual entry on a separate line so it is easier to see what has happened although in practise they will all be joined together with no spaces and a semi colon at the end of each entry.

Before Java update
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin;
C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\;
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared;

After Java update
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath; Delete this
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin; Change this to version 60 (jre1.8.0_60)
C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\;
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared;

So we end up with this as our Path in Environmental Variables and the Multiwii GUI will now work again.–

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_60\bin;C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared;

dexgeo

Post by dexgeo »

:D :D :D
I want to express my most sincere thanks to friends for providing these excellent information.
Good all flights to and excellence in landings.
:geek: :geek: :geek:

Pedro14755

Post by Pedro14755 »

dexgeo - considering my small contribution to this topic you are welcome :D Happy landings to you too my friend