Can't get multiwii based quad off the ground with video

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
delray

Can't get multiwii based quad off the ground with video

Post by delray »

Built a quad with the specs below. Mostly parts I bought used. The quad will hop around a bit but won't leave the ground.

Generic "alien" frame
Turnigy 750kv motors
Opto 300 esc
10" gemfan props
Generic bec
Holybro multiwii contoller. Upgraded to 2.3 firmware
3s 2200mah battery
Taranis frsky receiver

I did the esc calibration using the parameter in config.h and uncommented the 42hz low pass parameter too. I tried #define ITG3200_LPF_42HZ and #define MPU6050_LPF_42HZ individually and then combined as well.

I tried mounting the multiwii board with Velcro and foam tape thinking that I might have a vibration issue but that didn't seem to change much.

Multiwii config shows a good gyro/compass config, ranges between 1000-2000, etc.. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Any thoughts?

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdOYsIZLo-w

waltr

Re: Can't get multiwii based quad off the ground with video

Post by waltr »

How much throttle are you giving it??
When that near to the ground there is ground effect that can cause 'hopping'. It looks like it should fly so you just need to give it more throttle.
Do this in a more open area over soft grass.

Which flight mode are you trying? I suggest ANGLE mode for starting.

delray

Post by delray »

waltr wrote:How much throttle are you giving it??
When that near to the ground there is ground effect that can cause 'hopping'. It looks like it should fly so you just need to give it more throttle.
Do this in a more open area over soft grass.

Which flight mode are you trying? I suggest ANGLE mode for starting.

Thats a full throttle (2000 as indicated by multiwii conf). Im not sure of the flight mode but it should be whatever 2.3 deafat is.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Do a throttle range calibration on each ESC using the receiver, not the multiwii controller.

delray

Post by delray »

subaru4wd wrote:Do a throttle range calibration on each ESC using the receiver, not the multiwii controller.

Im using dji opto escs and i dont think they support or require calibration. Something is keeping the motors from providing full thrust.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

delray wrote:
subaru4wd wrote:Do a throttle range calibration on each ESC using the receiver, not the multiwii controller.

Im using dji opto escs and i dont think they support or require calibration. Something is keeping the motors from providing full thrust.

You should not have used DJI esc's.