Set Up Arduino UNO with cheap GY80 to build a Nano Quad

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
Nxt

Set Up Arduino UNO with cheap GY80 to build a Nano Quad

Post by Nxt »

How's it going?

So I'm a complete n00b to the world of Arduino and RC and I'm embarking on my first Arduino based project... as always it's an AMBITIOUS one. I'd really like to build a simple quadcopter for as cheap as possible (like i said its an ambitious project to start on), ideally something micro (no ESCs, tiny motors etc) and would love to be able to pull this off! My main project will be to to build a much larger tricopter (Running on a kk2 board) but i wanted to start by learning about multirotors by building a simple quad on a small scale. I understand i'm jumping in the deep end and trying to learn a lot really quickly, I have a really basic knowledge of coding (C+ and HTML), have used a soldering iron before and the hunger and passion to learn so i'm hoping i can pick it up as i go along.

In my current build list i have:
1 x Arduino Uno
1 x GY80 10DOF sensor
2 x 2.2k resistors (from what i've read i need these for the SDA and SCL pins as I2C pull ups)
4 x Motors (Taken out of a few broken Syma S107 choppers)
4 x 170-220 Mah batteries (from various broken micro helicopters)
1 x Turnigy 9Xr (Ordered but still waiting for it to arrive)
(1 x Syma 3CH control with IR Receiver < wondering if i can use this whilst i wait on my delivery)

1 - So far i've tried to configure and load MultiWii onto the Arduino which was really simple, I then go to the MultiWii config app and see that i'm getting I2C errors in excess of 20,000. The GUI NEVER represents the position or orientation of the board and i'm assuming this is due to the gigantic errors.
2 - From there i installed 2 2.2k 0.6w i2c resistors on the SDA and SCL ports (as advised by a few people on YouTube) in an attempt to eradicate the errors, currently I'm still having no luck.

What i'm asking is... Can i build a Quadcopter with the parts list i have... and if so, how?! If not what do i need to do, learn, read or buy to complete my project?

Hopefully there is a way for me to build a cool little test copter with the parts i have (and maybe a few more?) and use this experience to get a good basic understanding of Arduino and electronics and how multirotors work, any help and/or advice appreciated!

Cheers!

Nxt

waltr

Re: Set Up Arduino UNO with cheap GY80 to build a Nano Quad

Post by waltr »

It seems others have issues with the GY-xxx sensors. I think same have been resolved so search the forum for possible answers.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Nxt wrote:2 - From there i installed 2 2.2k 0.6w i2c resistors on the SDA and SCL ports (as advised by a few people on YouTube) in an attempt to eradicate the errors, currently I'm still having no luck.

The GY-80 includes already the pull-up resistors. leave them out, it only creates more issues than without.

Have you set up and compiled the sketch with your appropriate configuration described in the file config.h? (QUAD or QUADX, GY-80, etc)

Nxt

Post by Nxt »

QuadBow wrote:
Have you set up and compiled the sketch with your appropriate configuration described in the file config.h? (QUAD or QUADX, GY-80, etc)

Yeah i tried to set it up as a QuadX and defined the IMU, shall post you a link to my config.h code?

No idea what i'm doing wrong, I did try testing it before i installed the resistors and was still getting errors (but come to think about it may have been smaller), I'll pull out the resistors before i connect it again.

Thanks for the reply!

daweim0

Post by daweim0 »

I was having a similar problem with a 6050 based board (gy-521). The symptoms were no output coming out of the imu, and constant i2c errors in the gui (to the point where the integer overflowed and became negative). When looked at with a logic analyzer the scl line was always pulled low no matter what pullups were used (a volt meter should do fine for testing). The problem turned out to be that the i2c address was wrong. I changed it from 0x68 to 0x69 (or maybe it was the other way around)and then it worked fine.

(It would probably be worth checking to make sure the address is right)

Nxt

Post by Nxt »

Cheers, I changed the port in sensor but still no luck, going to try again tomorrow, let you all know how I get on

Nxt

Post by Nxt »

COMPLETELY STUCK! :cry:

Can somebody help me out with a guide of some sort on configuring a GY80 to work with multiwii? My board is still throwing up I2C errors about 30000 ad flipping to -25000.

If you know anything that could help please drop me a reply

Nxt

Post by Nxt »

Got it working, Had to solder all the pins properly, now it's working (to an extent) and i'm getting no I2C errors (thank god!). Just need to work out how to correctly configure it (in accordance to where its mounted) and i should be ready to move onto the next step! Now my next issue will be to try and configure brushed micro motors without ESCs (as mentioned above i've got a couple of spare motors from old broken Syma S107 helicopters) does anybody know where i'd start or how to configure micro motors without ESCs?

waltr

Post by waltr »

Ok, good solid connections are required for reliable I2C.

There is code in MultiWii that supports brushed motors. You do need at least MOSFETs to drive the motors (the Atmega;s output pins can not supply enough current).
This thread in RCG maybe helpful:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1993117