Tripcopter starting decent after 5 seconds

vinietje

Tripcopter starting decent after 5 seconds

Post by vinietje »

Hey Guys,

I'm having some problems with my Tricopter, it's quiet heavy but it does go in the air

my frame is build of 3x 50cm square aluminum profiles. my educated guess is that the chopper weighs about 600gram ex. accu

as the chopper does come of the ground i would like to think there is enough lift.

the behavior: if i give full throttle it does go up, when i then reduce the power to keep altitude, it just starts do decent after say 5seconds, giving full throttle doens't seem to help in that case, when i then pick it up from the ground, it just stays stays on that motor speed.

the esc's (although small) don't seem to get very hot (i have them tie-wrapped to my aluminium frame for extra cooling, but even without this they don't get hot,

same goes for my motor's they don't get very hot.

Could it be the accu's? i tried two different ones... this behavior starts directly after first takeoff (so full accu's)

Some technical details:

3x hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv
3x Hobbyking SS Series 8-10A ESC
1x 2400mha 20c accu
1x 1300mah 20c turnigy
1x multiwii hardware (pro-mini 168, original wmp, clone nmXXX nunchuck)
3x 9.38 and/or 10.38 props

Can someone shed their light on what could be the problem? i would like to avoid buying yet another set of motors....

kind regards!

cardboard

Re: Tripcopter starting decent after 5 seconds

Post by cardboard »

your setup seems very similar to mine. motors are the same weight and with 100kv, i use similar size battery and 10amp esc. AUW of mine is around 600g, that takeoff weight, battery fpv etc etc.
It sounds like you have flat batteries, or your motors aren't giving the correct thrust. I have 1400Kv motors and use gws 8x4 props. when i tried using apc 8x4 it hardly hovered as the motors couldn't turn the heavier apc props. try a smaller prop if you can.

The only other thought is that you haven't calibrated your esc or you have dual rates/expo on the throttle channel or another radio related issue.

vinietje

Post by vinietje »

well the rc/expo is also something i have some thought about, could you give me yours?
i'm currently unable to check mine, but i thought it was something like 0,4 and and 0.65 (from the top of my head).

i also modified max_throttle in the code to 1980.

i will tried the smaller props, but it seemed a lot more jumpy with them, but i'll trie changing the pid settings to make it less agressive.

but with the larger props (both GWS btw), it does fly, but only for a short time, you just hear the motors turn down a few notches therefore reducing thrust ofcourse.

thanx for the quick reply btw

cardboard

Post by cardboard »

the smaller props have less mess, so don't have as stronger force at keeping the copter level. all my settings a default. It would be interesting to test the amount of thrust you produce with each different prop set. i normally just mount my props upside down, reverse my motor direction and power it up on a set of scales to figure out total thrust. It would be conclusive evidence for which prop produce the most force.

vinietje

Post by vinietje »

I will try that, but it seems to me that it does produce enough lift as it flies.

but after some point the props spinn less fast.
Could you make a print screen of your settings, so i can compare them with mine? especially the rc-expo.

i also ordered another lipo, just in case it cannot provide enough power to spin the moters.

djsalt

Post by djsalt »

What is your battery voltage, are all the cells in the battery ok?
If the voltage is low (when under current in particular), too low then the default settings for many ESC will 'slow down' motor speed as a warning that you might damage the battery.

I had the same problem because one of the cells in my battery was out of balance (3s 2700mah 35c). When the battery was put under load the voltage would drop further still putting it below the threshold of the ESCs. Use an ESC programmer to set the ESC's and check your battery would be my suggestion?