is High accuracy GPS+ALT hold possible?

dale.e

is High accuracy GPS+ALT hold possible?

Post by dale.e »

I am getting back into things after some time away. Just loaded the latest MW 2.4
My hardware is a an AIOP 1.1 from HK its about 2 years old I think.
The GPS is a Ublox NEO 6M (Crius) I updated the FW and set it up over a year ago, followed a guide, I don't recall the exact settings.
I am thinking I should maybe be looking at a better GPS....

Here is the thing, I know its not the same level hardware, but I also know high accuracy GPS + ALT hold can be done, I have flown a DJI Phantom Vision II and I know how dead stable things can be.

My setup drifts about and self corrects in a 2.5 to 3 meter box...... the DJI drifts about 5cm....

Is it at all possible to get my setup alot better? Maybe not DJI good but MUCH better....
Is it time to toss my electronics and get something better?

Can MW AIOP GPS hold even approach the DJI setup for stability?

I have some PID tuning to do etc I know that, I just want to know should I be going a different direction, am I wasting my time pursuing something that is not going to get even half way better?
I would be happy with a 25cm box for drift....

Anyhow thanx in advance :)

dale.e

Re: is High accuracy GPS+ALT hold possible?

Post by dale.e »

perhaps this one?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEO-M8N- ... 261.HT6ksr
Would 10hz communications increase the hold resolution?

Perhaps using I2C rather than serial Uart?

dale.e

Post by dale.e »

anyone :)

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

dale.e wrote:anyone :)
I have been told that my quad is one of the best Pos Hold quads out there using multiwii. Not that I believe everything I'm told but, the best mine ever does is staying within about a 1 meter radius and about a foot vertical.
On exceptional GPS days it will sometimes sit perfectly still for up to a minute or two then it wanders some before settling back down. I don't think it will get much better than that using multiwii and GPS. I find that when filming, upon playback the movement is barely noticeable if it can be seen at all so I am happy with my $300.00 quad that does well enough. To me, the extra $600.00 to $$$$$$ that any DJI costs is not worth that extra supposed rock solid stability that it is supposed to have.

I found that when tuning PIDs for the PosHold, PosHoldRate, and NavigationRate, less is more.

dale.e

Post by dale.e »

Well I am not actually trying to achieve what I have seen from DJI, I just wanted to know it could get at least a lot better than I have.....
I have work to do on POS-H

As far as the supposed stability of the DJI, the rig I have personal experience with is a Vision II, in a 30km wind it moved around about 10cm

Just the other day I also got to play with a Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K in 15-20km winds and it was just as stable as the DJI.

this is not supposed, I flew these, I know how stable POS hold can be.

Not going to buy one just for this, but its my guideline to what is possible.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Here is an example of my position hold with MultiWii 2.4. I'm sure it can be improved further through PID tuning.