Rebounds at Landing and yaw mag accuracy

Pilon

Rebounds at Landing and yaw mag accuracy

Post by Pilon »

Hi all!
Setting my first quad, and I no face to problems in flight

First in acro(gyro only), or stable, the landing is very hard as the quad rebound 3/4 times before stopping, while my throttle stick on tx is at minimum. Same if I disarm prior to landing (arm disarm through aux switch, stick arming is deactivated)
Is there a setting I miss?
When I arm, motors are not running until I increase throttle stick(I want it to work like this)
Is there a min command or similar setting to adjust? I have to admit I didn't understood the philosophie of throttle settings

Secondly, the quad is quite airworthy in acro or stable, but when I engage the magnetometer, the worst is that it change heading instead do locking!
I tried both calibration methods, but I always see magneto values in win GUI not stable.
If you know why it would be very helpful!

Thanks all

brewski

Re: Rebounds at Landing and yaw mag accuracy

Post by brewski »

Pilon wrote:Hi all!
Setting my first quad, and I no face to problems in flight

First in acro(gyro only), or stable, the landing is very hard as the quad rebound 3/4 times before stopping, while my throttle stick on tx is at minimum. Same if I disarm prior to landing (arm disarm through aux switch, stick arming is deactivated)
Is there a setting I miss?
When I arm, motors are not running until I increase throttle stick(I want it to work like this)
Is there a min command or similar setting to adjust? I have to admit I didn't understood the philosophie of throttle settings

Secondly, the quad is quite airworthy in acro or stable, but when I engage the magnetometer, the worst is that it change heading instead do locking!
I tried both calibration methods, but I always see magneto values in win GUI not stable.
If you know why it would be very helpful!

Thanks all

You must set Min Throttle (I suggest 1150), calibrate ESCs using direct connection to RX, but before this set all TX ranges endpoints to 0 min, 1500 mid & 2000 high.
Read this Getting Started guide viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5363
It is safer to have motors spin on Arming as this gives clear indication that quad is actually armed. APM does this also

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

The landing is a matter of your own throttle skill. Lower it softly, cut throttle shortly before or after you touch down.
Your mag issue is simple.. the power wiring creates a magnetic field. This changes constantly, so the mag constantly sees a rotating heading. The only solution to this is to get the magnetometer as far from the power wiring as possible.. i.e. by using an external mag on a small pole, or mounting the FC high up with long spacers.

Pilon

Post by Pilon »

Thanks guys,
Arakon, i'm used With helicopters, sure I need more Quad landing practise but they are not so bad!
Yes if try hard landing it's worth.
But at sweetest I can do it always rebounds.
#define MINTHROTTLE 1064 // special ESC (simonk)
is what I set, but I can see one motor spinning on 3 legs, so I will try increased to 1100, then 1150 (thanks brewski)
possibly my minthrottle is to low for the quad to stabalize/perform proper landing?
Also I installed ty-raps on my legs to create landing bumpers. it might be the reason, solid legs may avoid this, I will try also to remove them.

I saw the parameter #define MOTOR_STOP // motors will not spin when the throttle command is in low position
If I can't avoid rebounds I will set this activated. rebounds are dangerous.
The danger is to perform a descent with thottle stick full down, with blades stopping to spin, not sure to recover a safe flight after that...

I understand the idea of arm = engine running, this is clear. If rebounds cleared I'll do so.

Mag issue: Yes the mag is on FC. FC is installed centered between power feeders, on F330 lower bracket.
I will invert battery and FC to keep it away from magnetic fields.
So until I do this mag are useless and worth than good isn't it?

Brewski thanks, no worry I readed so much, prior to buy, prior to fly...
ESC calibrated, tx endpoints set not to 0 1500 2000 but 1100 1500 1900

thanks

Pilon

Post by Pilon »

Thanks guys,
Arakon, i'm used With helicopters, sure I need more Quad landing practise but they are not so bad!
Yes if try hard landing it's worth.
But at sweetest I can do it always rebounds.
#define MINTHROTTLE 1064 // special ESC (simonk)
is what I set, but I can see one motor spinning on 3 legs, so I will try increased to 1100, then 1150 (thanks brewski)
possibly my minthrottle is to low for the quad to stabalize/perform proper landing?
Also I installed ty-raps on my legs to create landing bumpers. it might be the reason, solid legs may avoid this, I will try also to remove them.

I saw the parameter #define MOTOR_STOP // motors will not spin when the throttle command is in low position
If I can't avoid rebounds I will set this activated. rebounds are dangerous.
The danger is to perform a descent with thottle stick full down, with blades stopping to spin, not sure to recover a safe flight after that...

I understand the idea of arm = engine running, this is clear. If rebounds cleared I'll do so.

Mag issue: Yes the mag is on FC. FC is installed centered between power feeders, on F330 lower bracket.
I will invert battery and FC to keep it away from magnetic fields.
So until I do this mag are useless and worth than good isn't it?

Brewski thanks, no worry I readed so much, prior to buy, prior to fly...
ESC calibrated, tx endpoints set not to 0 1500 2000 but 1100 1500 1900

thanks

brewski

Post by brewski »

No. TX endpoints need to be 0 1500 2000. Set 1100 as Min Throttle in MW Config. The reason you need enough Min Throttle is to keep props spinning reliably & synced to prevent them stopping when throttle is set to minimum. If you need to rapidly apply power during descent you need all motors responding instantly.
Onboard Mags suck & APM learnt this years ago. It is virtually impossible to remove all magnetic fields.
I have disabled mine (easy on Crius AIOP V2) & use Ext Mag on CF post out front. I get zero interference even with max throttle & white foam, LED or ping pong ball on end will help with orientation.

Pilon

Post by Pilon »

Hi,
Minthottle set to 1150, all props turning a consistent idle when armed.
With this setting and some practise I now get perfect landings.

All tutorial set min to 1000, max to 2000, as middle point is 1500. But we may speak about different settings?
My root tx values without change to endpoints/subtrim were close to this.

I thought to buy the crius AIOP instead of SE, maybe for a later project. So I can use MPNG.
Not sure to be able to disable the compass easily on crius se 2.5. have to look in multiwii ino code if I can do it.
Then I would install an I2C HMC5883L

Let's go flying!

brewski

Post by brewski »

Pilon wrote:Hi,
Minthottle set to 1150, all props turning a consistent idle when armed.
With this setting and some practise I now get perfect landings.

All tutorial set min to 1000, max to 2000, as middle point is 1500. But we may speak about different settings?
My root tx values without change to endpoints/subtrim were close to this.

Get as close to these values as you can using TX endpoint & mid trims.

I thought to buy the crius AIOP instead of SE, maybe for a later project. So I can use MPNG.
Not sure to be able to disable the compass easily on crius se 2.5. have to look in multiwii ino code if I can do it.
Then I would install an I2C HMC5883L

Only way to disable onboard Mag on Crius SE2.5 is to cut the SDA & SLC legs on HMC5883 chip. Some mods to config.h and Def.h also required to enable Ext Mag plugged into 12C port.

Let's go flying!